• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Also, adding to what Rukkiko said, if they SDI (smash DI) or whatever they call it now, (SDI allows them to be released slightly further away from Marth), then you will not be able to regrab right after release. Instead, you will have to walk forward very slightly and regrab. It's not an infinite, but you should still have enough room to be able to get about 100% on em, depending on how well they can escape a grab :).

And btw Gates, didn't ToZ answer your question on followups? I guess I must have missed something again somewhere in someone's post... XD

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Could someone write exactly what needs to be input in order to perform the death grabs? This includes buffered runs, pivot grabs, dash grabs, etc...

Gates

Banned via Warnings
And btw Gates, didn't ToZ answer your question on followups? I guess I must have missed something again somewhere in someone's post... XD
He didn't really answer it. I was asking for followups to throws at mid percents and the thread he gave the link to had almost nothing but combos from 0.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Oh i see now Gates :).

"That's not yet proven Ragnarok, the Ness boards don't even believe the so call "EIDI" works."

Oh it isn't o.0 Well good thing I know now :) Thanks.

Eazy23

Smash Lord
So a SMART meta is walking and ftilting all approaches. What do you do? What moves does marth have that beat ftilt?

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
lolwut

Hmm. Shieldbreaker, longer range XD.

Well you can always bait the ftilt and punish with something else... but if they're smart (which I'm sure Steel2nd is XD) then they'd probably save the last hit (since ftilt is 3) to defend in case if the Marth fairs or something...

Well I wouldn't know the best way since I don't have much experience with MK XD

Steel would probably know though...

Btw Steel, do you really main Kirby now?

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
That's not yet proven Ragnarok, the Ness boards don't even believe the so call "EIDI" works.
Bengals tested it and said it works (though he never told me (or never tested...) if reverse pivot grabbing turns it back into an infinite.

Personally, after watching that thread to the end, I trust him a heck of a lot more then the ness and lucas boards.

Diew

Smash Rookie
Against ZSS

I'm having a lot of trouble getting back to the stage when I'm on the ledge. Sometimes I manage to land a Nair, but it doesn't work everytime. Any other thing I do I get punished really hard. What are the safest options?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Bengals tested it and said it works (though he never told me (or never tested...) if reverse pivot grabbing turns it back into an infinite.

Personally, after watching that thread to the end, I trust him a heck of a lot more then the ness and lucas boards.
There is definitely EIDI. No other way to explain it.

Simply put, when jamming c-stick and and analog away from Marth, Marth cannot reach with a standing grab.

Still haven't been able to test reverse pivot grabbing.

gallax

Smash Hero
hey when approaching with marth, other than using a fair/nair, what are some other common approaches that you usually try? especailly against snake or MK.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
There is definitely EIDI. No other way to explain it.

Simply put, when jamming c-stick and and analog away from Marth, Marth cannot reach with a standing grab.

Still haven't been able to test reverse pivot grabbing.
You search your name, don't you?

hey when approaching with marth, other than using a fair/nair, what are some other common approaches that you usually try? especailly against snake or MK.
Marth has other approaches?

Walk-> dtilt, empty short-hops, then consider occassional mix-ups.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Against ZSS

I'm having a lot of trouble getting back to the stage when I'm on the ledge. Sometimes I manage to land a Nair, but it doesn't work everytime. Any other thing I do I get punished really hard. What are the safest options?
*Note: When I said Ledge drop, I mean press down when hanging. When I say Ledge fall, I mean press back when hanging.

Ledge drop>DS (hits through stage)>Regrab
Ledge drop>Aerial Hop>fair/nair
Ledge drop>Aerial Hop>DB1 stall>fair/nair
Ledge fall>Aerial Hop>fair/nair
Ledge fall>Aerial Hop>DB1 stall>fair/nair
Regular stand up>Shield>Shield grab
Ledge hop>dair
Roll get up

You have all of these things to mix it up with. They can't punish all of them. Look at their spacing, act accordingly and screw them over when they think they have you figured out.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@ C.J.

Ok I see :)

So what's EIDI stand for? And is it the same as Smash DI?

There may be furiosduffmanx, I'm sure it must be in a Marth guide somewhere... i'm not sure if those Marth guides are still around though, usually old threads are deleted.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
@ C.J.

Ok I see :)

So what's EIDI stand for? And is it the same as Smash DI?

There may be furiosduffmanx, I'm sure it must be in a Marth guide somewhere... i'm not sure if those Marth guides are still around though, usually old threads are deleted.

Old threads aren't deleted... you just have your settings so that it doesn't go past a certain page, probably.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Old threads aren't deleted... you just have your settings so that it doesn't go past a certain page, probably.
Oh oops, I knew that XD.

Pivot Walking -

Faster than dashing
It's more manueverable since you can do any attack out of it since you are actually walking and not dashing (when dashing, you can only use a dash attack, up smash, or B move).

It's also more manueverable because when you walk, there is no "lag" to when you stop walking, while there is "lag" once you stop a dash.

And most importantly: it looks SWEET. It makes you look like a pro hax0r, which is what Brawl is all about XD.

I don't think I missed anything, hopefully.

So yea basically if you master pivot walking, then you should pretty much replace all (or most) of your dashes with this.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
lbut if they're smart (which I'm sure Steel2nd is XD)
:laugh::laugh:

Steel would probably know though...
After asking Neo ;)

Btw Steel, do you really main Kirby now?
Surely he doesn't even play brawl!

--

Hey Bengalz

did you ever consider that there are three types of grab releases?

Pummel Release, Ground Release and Air Release?

That if Ness/Lucas time their mashing out at the appropriate time they'll get a ground release which will put them too far away or something similar?
zingzingzing.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Hey Bengalz

did you ever consider that there are three types of grab releases?

Pummel Release, Ground Release and Air Release?

That if Ness/Lucas time their mashing out at the appropriate time they'll get a ground release which will put them too far away or something similar?
zingzingzing.
Actually yes, I did consider that. Thats why I tried jamming towards Marth with the C-stick and Analog and it didn't work.

zingzingzing

disregard zings if i'm wrong >.>

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@Shaya

lol

@Tennet

Huh? yeah you are, Tennet ;)

Wait there are three kinds of releases? And actually, I'd like to get this straight once and for all... can someone clear up the differences of each and how to perform them? Cus I remember I was playing a Japanese Lucas player (he announced himself as a pro, but I think he misused the word, and meant to just say he was a good player... and btw there was no lag). So I tried to ICG him. It worked at first, but then one time, even though I was pummeling him like crazy, he released into the air... lol

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
So a SMART meta is walking and ftilting all approaches. What do you do? What moves does marth have that beat ftilt?
Really? All approaches the same way? This is an Eazy one. Hit down and B at the same time. Usually you can predict what they're going to do if they always approach the same way.

Glad I could help.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Wanna beat MK's ftilt?

Perfect shield... f/dsmash.

Dash to shield -> dancing blade/dolphin slash...

or be uber pro and be outside the ftilts spacing -just- and fsmash like a pro for the TIPPER.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
True story:

MK's ftilt is just that good that he has the options.

Kind of like how you have the options over the opponent with dancing blade if you hit their shield with the first strike well spaced... except you have like 500 years more ending lag... ****ing meta knight.

If MK hits your shield with ftilt hits one or two, he's in danger, he can get dolphin slashed if you're slightly close at all (hell you can 'shield' DI closer).

It's all a guessing game really.
Marth has similar options than MK, just MK's are just over all slightly better. Deal with the Dark Link man.
Without Din's Fire.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Mmm.

Hey i actually came up with this idea a week ago, but forgot to post it. Here I go.

Ok so you know how people refrain from picking MK cus they don't want everyone to be playing MK, cus that would be boring? And those people also want tourny organizers to ban MK? (or limit MK)

Well actually, isn't refraining from MK a BAD idea?

Think of this. TO's see a ton of MKs. However the other half is other characters. There's still a variety. Therefore they don't ban MK.

But, if all those refraining from MK start playing MK, then the TOs will see that EVERYONE is playing MK, and then they might either ban him or limit him. Probably not every TO will do this, but about half may ban/limit MK, while the other would be MK tournys...

What you guys think?

Top Bottom