• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
Eh thanks Ragnarok17 I'll try holding the stick in a direction rather than flicking it. Also I tend to fail the Down Dancing Blade the most so it's now nice to know why. Thanks.

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
How can I pull off Marth's dair spike effectively? Cause I always try to do it when my opponent is recovering, but I look so obvious doing it, and I always miss anyway. I know I have to hit them with the tip of the blade to make the spike work. I sometimes SD from trying to spike with Marth, too, but not too often.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Np Vecayse :).

It's easy to dair spike with a foostool (note, this cannot be performed on some characters without some extreme specific conditions).

But yea Marth's spike isn't efficient unless you use it out of a combo, like Forward Throwing MK to Spike Dair.

Instead, you should use his other aerials to edgeguard.

Here's a video of the Foostool to Dair Combo/Technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKG4amJJ6E

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
Np Vecayse :).

It's easy to dair spike with a foostool (note, this cannot be performed on some characters without some extreme specific conditions).

But yea Marth's spike isn't efficient unless you use it out of a combo, like Forward Throwing MK to Spike Dair.

Instead, you should use his other aerials to edgeguard.

Here's a video of the Foostool to Dair Combo/Technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKG4amJJ6E
Lol. I can't footstool worth for ****... It happens at the most random times. I even scoreed K.O.s by mistake by an accidental footstool, lmao. I'll check it out later, though. But yeah, I know footstooling would be good for the dair cause I've seen it a lot.

Ok, I'll use his other moves to edgeguard from now on.
Thanks for your advice Ragnarok. Another way I like to edgeguard is I personally love chaining fairs to people off the stage until I can't do it anymore, lol. Especially with Lucario.

Also it is easier to sweet spot the dair when your back is facing them.
Yeah I know. I only ever use it that way. :)

lol dairing warios bike is a pretty lulzy spike
Really...? Wow lol. Never knew that was possible. And I thought Snake's cardboard box gimp and Luigi's taunt spike were ridiculous. :p

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
you know about ledge drop dairs and rising dairs?
Hmm, I think so, but not so sure about the second one. I always try to dair someone when they're near a ledge, but I usually fail. I also love chain-grabbing with Falco to the edge, then do a quick hop to dair, and that usually kills them if I only could be more accurate with my hit percentages, though.

Tennet

Smash Champion
if you are standing there and you want to spike them stand with your back away from the stage jump and right after you press jump hits down and a the dair will be very low to the ground and you should be able to spike them not exactly sure what area it will hit, cuz i never use it -__-

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Oh and also, if an opponent is staying on the ledge for too long (meaning that he lost or will lose all his invinsibility frames from the ledge), you can SH a Dair (you have to Dair ASAP), which will cause your blade to go through the stage and spike them. It can catch someone off gaurd, especially if they're not too experienced in tourny play or such.

Yeah Footstooling is hard, I haven't worked on that at all, but sometimes you can go straight for it, and they will see that you're trying to do something, but will just be stumped to do anything XD.

About Marth Fairing people to edgeguard: Counter also works great on characters with recoveries like Link's, Marth's, MK's, Mario's, Wario's, DK's... etc.

And Countering a Ike's Side B or Up B, is definitely very fun XD.

Mario Zelda Fan

Smash Apprentice
if you are standing there and you want to spike them stand with your back away from the stage jump and right after you press jump hits down and a the dair will be very low to the ground and you should be able to spike them not exactly sure what area it will hit, cuz i never use it -__-
Oh I know what you mean now. I do Rising Dairs all the time. With any character.

Oh and also, if an opponent is staying on the ledge for too long (meaning that he lost or will lose all his invinsibility frames from the ledge), you can SH a Dair (you have to Dair ASAP), which will cause your blade to go through the stage and spike them. It can catch someone off gaurd, especially if they're not too experienced in tourny play or such.

Yeah Footstooling is hard, I haven't worked on that at all, but sometimes you can go straight for it, and they will see that you're trying to do something, but will just be stumped to do anything XD.

About Marth Fairing people to edgeguard: Counter also works great on characters with recoveries like Link's, Marth's, MK's, Mario's, Wario's, DK's... etc.

And Countering a Ike's Side B or Up B, is definitely very fun XD.
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Yeah lol.

Yeah, I hate when I'm Ike, and I Quick Draw to the ledge, but someone jumps in my way and intercepts it, then I die. ._.

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time
Yeah I was answering you, sorry for being unclear :).

Also, I thought I posted a chunk from that thread (which had 2 other ATs), but apparently it didn't go through.

I'll post it here:

- DS Ledge Grab:
How to perform: Dolphin Slash into the ledge after falling a certain distance
Effect: You will regrab the ledge faster than when ledge stalling normally. A character can not grab the ledge while he has vertical momentum, the only exception to this rule is specials that go upwards and can be auto canceled by an edge grab.
OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216620
Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMWIo...eature=channel
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5rifkmIm8

- Stage-Spike Up-smash (stage-specific)
How to Perform: when an opponent is hanging on the edge of a platform, position Marth near the edge and do a U-Smash when their invincibility frames end.
Effect: Marth's foot, which carries a hitbox for U-smash, will contact your opponent, spiking them upward into the edge and bouncing them (1) away from the platform, or (2) down to their deaths.
Note: The effectiveness of this technique depends both on what character your opponent is and what stage you are on. Details at OP.
OP: http://smashboards.com/showthread.ph...38#post4934638
Thanks alot Ragnarock! And for people who are unsure, I main Marth and Pit. So I hope to hear more from all of you!

Player-3

Smash Hero
naw man i meant if you dair warios bike it stalls the hit long enough to spike wario off his bike

ive done it many times because its pretty easy

seppukuisfun

Smash Rookie
This is taken from my Gamefaqs post, but here goes.

My friend's Kirby is really good, and I need some advice on how to beat him CONSISTENTLY (right now it's more like 8-2 his way, though the matchup should be in Marth's favor 6-4). Some things I've noticed...

-He tends to use Final Cutter a lot (not randomly!) , probably to stop my Double Fairs and SHFF Fairs. What's the best way to punish this after powershielding from a distance?
-His aerial control is very good...it's hard for me to punish after powershielding since he gets behind me usually. DS Oos is kinda risky.
-He tends to roll and grab very quickly, annoying me to no end. Even DB isn't fast enough sometimes.
-When I'm at 0%, if he grabs me, he can combo for a lot of damage, usually with Utilt or another grab.
-When I get him in the air, it's very hard to hit him since he can control Kirby very well. Uair doesn't help much, and Utilt is nearly useless now. (I used to get him with that all the time as a finisher.)
-I get caught in his dash attack alot. I rarely react in time to OoS DS.
-Fsmash...I hate this move. It's supposed to be so laggy, but this is how he kills me 90% of the time. He likes to use reverse psychology and smash in the opposite direction, hoping I'll roll in that direction.

Okay, despite all of this, does the online lag really hurt Marth that badly? Is it possible for him to grab me out of DB (assuming I hit) in between hits, or is this because of lag?

Sorry for the long post, but I'd like to get a detailed assessment. Thanks!

lrastart

Smash Rookie
Question: How do you perform Marth's infinate jump? (or whatever its called that allows marth to forward b in the air and continuously go up)

every time i try i can only manage one little boost and it isnt very useful

Sake-Hato

Smash Apprentice
BF hes very flexibal(spelt wrong?) there,he can plank best there plus he has less trouble there when it comes to campy people like falco,less room to run, the faster you can get to him.IMO

C.J.

Smash Master
Battlefield. It's small so it lets Marth apply constant pressure and the lowers platforms are perfect height for Marth to abuse. The upper platform makes DS *relatively* safe.

Sake-Hato- flexible*

Lawkk

Smash Rookie
Question: How do you perform Marth's infinate jump? (or whatever its called that allows marth to forward b in the air and continuously go up)

You got me excited for a second =(

There is no such thing. You can only gain a small boost after jumps.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Easiest way to train getting the dair spike to connect

Hi guys. Is there any quick way of training so that I can get used to connect a dair with it's tip so i can spike on cue? i know it takes practice but how should I train for it? I've read the footstoolin spike guide but I just can't footstool a recovering opponent to save mi life. So is there any method for visualising the distance 'tween my opponent and the tip of my sword during the dair animation?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Hi guys. Is there any quick way of training so that I can get used to connect a dair with it's tip so i can spike on cue? i know it takes practice but how should I train for it? I've read the footstoolin spike guide but I just can't footstool a recovering opponent to save mi life. So is there any method for visualising the distance 'tween my opponent and the tip of my sword during the dair animation?

Unless your Roy R or Pierce7d I wouldn't worry about trying to spike my opponents there are more practical ways of edge guarding. However, just remember that you can't run off stage and dair you need to DJ before you dair and if your facing the stage it's easier to tip.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Wow so many questions XD
@hdrevolution

Dair is not needed, just like almostlegendary said. It is inefficient and fairs and such are a much better way to edgeguard.

There is no infinite jump for Marth. If you jump and use DB1 (dancing blade first hit), then you will get a small boost, but that is only once and you cannot repeat it.

@budget

You mean fthrow to dair spike? you said fthrow to dtilt spike.

You can fthrow to dair spike certain characters, but you will need to buffer in the dash. You can fthrow dair spike certain characters, most notably Meta knight. You can look in the "true combos" thread in the Marth boards to see which characters this is applicable on.

@Typh

Marth's most common counterpick stage is Battlefield. Battlefield gives Marth the platforms he needs to perform aerials and constantly apply pressure, especially from below the opponent. The length of the platforms are perfect. They allow Marth to easily tech chase someone who lands on a platform. He can punish with aerials (use one aerial at one spot, if the opponent rolls to the other side of the platform, you can DI and use a utilt or another aerial to punish). He can also use Nair and simply DI it so it will hit both sides of the platform if the opponent rolls. Utilt can also be used to punish rolling.

Utilt and uairs will also set up juggles and juggle traps and keep the opponent frustrated and from landing back onto the main platform. The platforms height are also good, allowing Marth to sweetspot his fsmash if the opponent is right above Marth. The middle high platform allows Marth to use Dolphin Slash and DS OoS safer.

Battlefield's shorter length reduces the amount Marth can be chaingrabbed, and reduces the abilities of projectile users or campers. Battlefield's normal vertical blastzone is also useful because unlike on other CP stages where the vertical blastzone is higher, Marth's vertical kllers work very well. BF's shorter length also allows Marth to slide under the stage with a fully charged SB and DJ and Up B to the ledge when needed in rare cases.
Battlefield's lip is also good because it allows Marth to easily recover without problems. The slant of the stage is also useful for stage spiking, especially with DS and fair, and in some cases, counter.

However, Lylat and Final Destination are also good maps. Final Destination is slightly more common of a pick than Battlefield when fighting against a MK because there is more room, and the platforms on BF will help MK a bit more than it will help you. Delfino is also a good stage, it is similar to Battlefield and has platforms that will help Marth out. The walls on that stage also help him with his dtilt lock, and is another advantage unless if his opponent can also use locks or infinite chaingrabs with walls.

Yoshi's Island is one of Marth's weaker neutral stages. Smashville is alright, not too good, not too bad.

@dualseeker

Yes this has been known, it is a glitch with the momentum and the slant of the stage. You can consider this a AT since it is an exploitable glitch.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Am I a Marth person?

I'm considering to try and expand my knowledge of Marth so he can act like my main, even though I don't actually 'main' characters. Do you think I'm up for it? How big is the Marth learning curve? Do I have a helluva lotta stuff to learn before I can actually start applying some stuff in battle? How much should I know about Marth and his matchups before I can **** some people? Is it difficult to train Marth and how should I train Marth? Answers to all of these questions would be appreciated.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I'm considering to try and expand my knowledge of Marth so he can act like my main, even though I don't actually 'main' characters. Do you think I'm up for it? How big is the Marth learning curve? Do I have a helluva lotta stuff to learn before I can actually start applying some stuff in battle? How much should I know about Marth and his matchups before I can **** some people? Is it difficult to train Marth and how should I train Marth? Answers to all of these questions would be appreciated.
This isn't pogeymanz.

I know this sounds pointless, but it isn't; hear me out.
All of these things are dependant on you. You can't just EV your Marth to the desired caliber. You have to be dedicated. I, personally, would not recommend Marth for anyone who isn't willing to call him their main.

However, if you don't care about repping Marth or anything:

Talk to someone else about it.

PS: I'm back =D

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14

Wow so many questions XD
There is no infinite jump for Marth. If you jump and use DB1 (dancing blade first hit), then you will get a small boost, but that is only once and you cannot repeat it.
making a minor correction form the first thing i noticed. Marth does have a little trick with his DB1 on certain stages.. Most notably Pokemon stadium 2 during the flying type phase. in order to achieve this "infinite boost" you must jump anbd use DB1 while on the rise if you do this marth will pop up as normal but instead of falling like he normally does the wind from the fans on the stage will cause you to rise more during this if you use DB1 again you'll get yet another vertical boost. repeating this will cause marth to rise until the fans go away. This also works on Pirate Ship while the ship is falling.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
This isn't pogeymanz.

I know this sounds pointless, but it isn't; hear me out.
All of these things are dependant on you. You can't just EV your Marth to the desired caliber. You have to be dedicated. I, personally, would not recommend Marth for anyone who isn't willing to call him their main.

However, if you don't care about repping Marth or anything:

Talk to someone else about it.

PS: I'm back =D
Hang on hang on. Who said I didn't care about the characters I choose to use? I don't use specific mains. I use a selection of characters among the 30 something available. Don't get me wrong, I pick a character and not become a dedicate player of that character if I like him/her.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Hang on hang on. Who said I didn't care about the characters I choose to use? I don't use specific mains. I use a selection of characters among the 30 something available. Don't get me wrong, I pick a character and not become a dedicate player of that character if I like him/her.
Watch pros
Face people better than you
Read guides
Learn the spacing
Find what works
Learn the matchups
Don't sleep before tournaments
Be well liked around the Marth boards
Learn the spacing
Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions
Eat KFC for tournament meal breaks
Learn the spacing

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Unless your Roy R or Pierce7d I wouldn't worry about trying to spike my opponents there are more practical ways of edge guarding. However, just remember that you can't run off stage and dair you need to DJ before you dair and if your facing the stage it's easier to tip.
Just thought I'd say that I LOVE to Dair, regardless of how "practical" it is. ;) I'm just going to say that Dair is easier to hit with if your opponent is behind you, hdrevolution. And marth's Bair can help set this up because it turns him around after usage. :)

My question is a bit of a dumb one, but what is the best thing for me to do if I'm way above my opponent, like after being launched by Fox's Usmash. My SBing usually gets punished if I use it to move myself forward, and SBbouncing doesn't make it that much better for me. fastfalling an airdodge gets me sent back up there, and it can be hard to fastfall an fair safely sometimes. Any tips? :)

Player-3

Smash Hero
Just thought I'd say that I LOVE to Dair, regardless of how "practical" it is. ;) I'm just going to say that Dair is easier to hit with if your opponent is behind you, hdrevolution. And marth's Bair can help set this up because it turns him around after usage. :)

My question is a bit of a dumb one, but what is the best thing for me to do if I'm way above my opponent, like after being launched by Fox's Usmash. My SBing usually gets punished if I use it to move myself forward, and SBbouncing doesn't make it that much better for me. fastfalling an airdodge gets me sent back up there, and it can be hard to fastfall an fair safely sometimes. Any tips? :)
stall with db1 and use your midair jump to get back onto the ground, try to bait another usmash or w/e it was that sent you up there and then fast fall onto the ground while theyre in cooldown, and dont get hit again

Gates

Banned via Warnings
How do you guys beat Falco?

Yes, I have looked in the matchup thread and applied the strategies but I'm still having trouble.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
My question is a bit of a dumb one, but what is the best thing for me to do if I'm way above my opponent, like after being launched by Fox's Usmash. My SBing usually gets punished if I use it to move myself forward, and SBbouncing doesn't make it that much better for me. fastfalling an airdodge gets me sent back up there, and it can be hard to fastfall an fair safely sometimes. Any tips?
Yeah P3 said.

Also, if you need to attack, then DI and use fair. However, this is when you're not in "danger" of getting upsmashed again and die, and only if you can't just fastfall back on the stage.

But yeah, just DI to one side a bit, and fair. Don't use Dair.

Can you specify Gates?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
How do you guys beat Falco?

Yes, I have looked in the matchup thread and applied the strategies but I'm still having trouble.
Remember Marth's zones (I will post these if you request them). Stay FAR out of the red zones and keep a close watch on that deadly fsmash. I'm sure you're wondering what to do about lazorhax, right? Just crouch/airdodge/dash attack (if you're as cool as mikehaze, which you're not) your way under the shdl and sh over his lag cancel lazorhax. Once you get past his annoying blue blasts and approach the reflector range, begin walling with your fairs and nairs like CRAZY. At this point, most Falcos will phantasm. Keep in mind that you have many counters to this move. Use either fair/nair if you can predict them well enough or counter if you want to play it a bit safer, then PUNISH. You have to punish the phantasm EVERY TIME.

Do not forget! Marth has an excellent grab-game on Falco. He will take it up the butt if you can punish his whiffed fsmash/phantasm with grabs.
Do not forget! Falco has an excellent grab-game on pretty much everyone. Some Falco's will step-dodge>grab a lot at lower percents. This is where you really hand them their chow. Pivot grab. Marth's PG is amazingggggg when it comes to range and punishes step dodges like nothing else.
Do not forget! Falco is really fail if he can't recover with phantasm. Shut this method of recovery down! Edge hog a lot. Not only do you get an opportunity at a good gimp, but you avoid the attack and get a punishing chance. Also use your dtilt well when edgeguarding. Fair/nair/dtilt until they have used both of their jumps; at this point, Falco can only do one of two things: phantasm and upB. **** his upB after a good dtilt and do your best to punish the phantasm.

I hope I could help... =\

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
That reminds me - I've mastered Pivot Grabbing, but I think I've seen a video before of Marth pivoting into attacks like Dtilt or fsmash. How do you do that?

Top Bottom