• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
I have a question:

Do any of you Marth mains play while listening to your iPod or other MP3s?

I do, and I play significantly better. I have certain playlists for certain characters. Such as Rap for Marth, and Rock for Falco.

Does anyone do this at all? It might help.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@ Darxmarth

Yeah music is one of the most underrated things that can improve your performance!

Unfortunately I haven't tested out yet to see which kinds of music seem to help me. So I just listen to the game's music.

Wtf is with this spam? And he's Super Banned? Is he really banned or is that just a special title... ? o.0

@Viquey

Lots of people have asked this question, so I'm just gonna list the basic stuff.

1. Get enough sleep.

2. Make sure you understand the Tourny's rules inside out.

3. As it's your first tourny, playing as many friendlies as possible is the best thing to do. You'll also meet a lot of new people this way too.

4. Don't be shy to ask people to brawl. 99% of the time, anyone you ask will want to Brawl because they were probably either too shy to ask others to brawl or they forgot they should be playing instead of standing around XD.

5. BYOC! (Bring your own controller!)

6. Make sure you don't lose your controller! (yes, stealing/losing things happens very often)

7. Uh... bring a camera or something may be if there's any bigtime pros there so you can video tape stuff?

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
The only problem I have with music is that I always want to constantly update my playlists. Fresh music that I haven't heard in a while helps me quite a lot in my matches. And stale music that is predicable can made me get worse.

I think if we tell the right people, this will start happening. People bringing their MP3s to their tourneys can help them play better.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah I know what you mean :). Mhm.

Only problem with that is that there will probably be a lot moar stealing going around XD

Here's a chunk that has 2 ATs for Marth. This is taken from the thread, Comprehensive guide to ATs, Glitches, Bugs, Cheats, etc. It can be found in the Brawl Tactical Forums.

Can't find the thread the following AT was posted in. It may have been deleted.

Basically, you know how you have a big slide when you charge your Shield Breaker in the air? Well, if you time it correctly, you can do a reversed Shield Breaker (tap left and then press b, with correct timing, which will turn your character around and do a Shield breaker), but the catch is this: instead of moving just an inch, you will retain the same momentum from the fully charged Shield Breaker. So if you're really high, you could Shield Breaker right, then left, then right, to confuse the opponent and surprise him so you can recover. If you fall too low with the last slide, then you can use your double jump and Up B to recover.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
Wow, a lotta answers! Thanks guys. XD

Do what all marths do!

Don't sleep the night before
Raid a KFC when you get a break
Rep someone else's tag if you feel like fighting in their honor
Shout out the names of the players who founded the techs that you use
Prepare yourself mentally, don't freak out
Play it safe when your opponent is at high percents, they can rack up serious damage if you abandon marth's amazing defensive playing style
Play as many friendlies as you can beforehand
Don't get discourage if you screw up
Think
Don't overthink
Have a hell of a time
1. Ha, that won't be hard. XD
2. Mmmm KFC. I hope there are some near there.
3. Hahaha. D'aw, I wouldn't wanna do that to anyone. I might leave that to the better players. XD Plus... iunno many tags.
4. XD Then I'll have to brush up on those!
5. Aah yes. That'll be difficult. I'm nervous on WiFi, can't imagine what'd it be like in person. XD
6. Indeed! Easy to forget this.
7. I hope too. Curse my shyness, though. >.<
8. Mm. I'll try not to! u.u
9. I'm working on this!
10. ...and this! XD
11. Aye aye! :D

Marths who attend tournaments more regularly probably will be better at this but for making the best of it:

1. Don't expect to win, your earlier tournaments are learning and social expiriences. Sure, play to win in your matches, but ultimately, you're playing to learn.

2. Play as much as you can, friendlies, matches, whatever. The more expirience you get with the more diverse group of players you can get at tournaments, the more it will improve your skill.

3. Network, tournaments bring together a lot of diverse players from lots of locations and it's a great opportunity to build contacts in the community who can later become long term friends and training buddies.
1. Yeah. I hardly ever to expect to win, so that should be easy. XD

2. Mm. Again, curse my shyness. But I'll try.

3. Ah. that's kinda what I'm hoping for most! Although, for a little local tourney where SSBB isn't actually the main feature (I think that's SFIV, but I don't remember exactly), I'm not sure how diverse the people will be. But that doesn't really matter. XD

It's fairly simple go in to have fun and make friends. Also talk to many people, alot of people there even if they don't play Marth can teach you new tricks.
As for gameplay wise try not to be predictable, alot of Marths rely on using forward aerial and dancing blade, with ftilt and utilt for kills. A quick dtilt at higher percentages can help.
But just go in have fun.

As for a quick question Im not sure if anyone has experienced this, today I was playing a lvl 9 C.Falcon on FD. When Falcon was around 70% I believe I used dancing blade and went the forward-down-down-down, but mistimed and missed the last hit. Yet the third hit Falcon straight to the ground. Does the third hit of his Dancing Blade have the power to spike?
Aye aye!

And yes! I was just reading about that on AiB the other day. DB3v can spike. Kinda neat, but it doesn't seem like it'd be all that easy to use. XD

Darxmarth23 said:
1 Just review what you need to know and accept that you most likely aren't going to win. This is a learning experience. Sure its nice to be sure you are ready. Friendlies help. And having a good grasp of your emotions help too considering they can cause you to do some pretty idiotic stuff with marth.

2 Play to learn. But don't let that make you lose the match. See how far you can go. And learn along the way.

3 Expect some people completely serious. Expect some people laughing. Just have a good time and make some friends. They'll take you far.
1. Will do. Nerves are indeed my biggest concern.

2. Seems to be the biggest tip here! I'll keep it at the forefront of my mind.

3. Cool, 'cause I rest somewhere in between. Sounds good.

Tari said:
ee.. I went to my first Brawl tourney some time ago.. and basically.. I did what everyone here is telling you to do. I practiced with my cousin the night before, staying up pretty late. When I got there, my cousin introduced me to a few people, and I just went from there, making new friends. He also told me that, "its your first tournament, so it should be a learning experience. You probably won't win, but I'm sure you could probably at least make it out of pools." I thought.. "****.. this'll be easy..." Lol. I was so wrong. When in pools, I started wanting to win and not caring about the experience, and so I made stupid mistakes.

What am I trying to say? Practice the night before; make new friends; play as many friendlies as you can so you can get your money-worth; and in terms of the actual tournament, play to win but don't freak out if you start losing. Keep your cool because in the end, its a learning experience. I dunno about you, but I usually don't play well under pressure. So just relax. :)

EDIT: Oh.. and rep the Prince. No matter how many other mks are there. :p
I'll try not to make that mistake. Shouldn't be hard, though; I've never been known for my confidence in anything. XD But yeah, again. Nerves are my biggest concern.

And of course! Well, and ZSS. I want to pile tourney experience on both of them. But thankfully, MK's banned. :D

Ragnarok17 said:
@Viquey

Lots of people have asked this question, so I'm just gonna list the basic stuff.

1. Get enough sleep.

2. Make sure you understand the Tourny's rules inside out.

3. As it's your first tourny, playing as many friendlies as possible is the best thing to do. You'll also meet a lot of new people this way too.

4. Don't be shy to ask people to brawl. 99% of the time, anyone you ask will want to Brawl because they were probably either too shy to ask others to brawl or they forgot they should be playing instead of standing around XD.

5. BYOC! (Bring your own controller!)

6. Make sure you don't lose your controller! (yes, stealing/losing things happens very often)

7. Uh... bring a camera or something may be if there's any bigtime pros there so you can video tape stuff?
1. Hm, contradicts ToZ's first point. XD
2. Ah yes. I'm sure to read the info on it over and over again. XD
3. I'll try!
4. Again, I'll try. I'm really shy though. XD Maybe I'll get lucky and someone else will take the initiative to come out of their shell a bit. Haha.
5. Yess, that's in the tourney's rules! Plus I'm used to my controller, so it'd be awkward with anything else.
6. Oh dear. K, I'll keep it on a leash. XD
7. Ooh, good idea. Hm, but do I have a video camera? Maybe one of my digitals have video capability. I'll check!

Thanks again for the advice, guys! I'll make the best of it. ^^

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion

Only problem with that is that there will probably be a lot moar stealing going around XD
For me, when I sit during my matches I keep my iPod in my shoe with the earpieces coming out. When I'm moving about, I hold it in my hand and don't let go.

Wow, a lotta answers! Thanks guys. XD
Thanks again for the advice, guys! I'll make the best of it. ^^
No problem, and good luck. Tell me how you do.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Does pivot walking work for the Wii-Chuck "Pseudo C-Stick"?
............................................. __
......................................... __l... l__
(I'm talking about setting this: l__..o..__l to smashes)
............................................. l__l
Extreme boredom lead me to 1. the Marth boards and 2. to this post...don't ask my thought processes I'm just really bored...were you the Marth I played in pools yesterday? I recognize the Inle because its, well strange lol

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol Mikey.

@Darx

oh nice ideas :)

@ Viquey

Lol giant huge mega post.

Lol oops did i say get enough sleep? I meant don't get enough sleep.

And yeah just go up to anyone and say, wanna brawl? You don't even need their names lol.

Good luck and have fun :D.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
Darx: TY, and will do. hopefully it's not too embarrassing. XD

Ragnarok: Haha inorite. That'll teach me to not check back more often!

Aha! I see. That, I can do.

Haha, okies.

and ty, I will. ^^

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Yes Mikey i was THAT Inle who u 3 stocked in the first match.

And I was the one who somehow managed a Tipper N-air to a Tipper N-air kill on you :p.

Maybe you were searching the Q&A thread for questions to answer/ask??

By the way, good job making 7th in Singles!

dualseeker

Smash Ace
Pit: One of the greatest Heroes of our time

Here's a chunk that has 2 ATs for Marth. This is taken from the thread, Comprehensive guide to ATs, Glitches, Bugs, Cheats, etc. It can be found in the Brawl Tactical Forums.

Can't find the thread the following AT was posted in. It may have been deleted.

Basically, you know how you have a big slide when you charge your Shield Breaker in the air? Well, if you time it correctly, you can do a reversed Shield Breaker (tap left and then press b, with correct timing, which will turn your character around and do a Shield breaker), but the catch is this: instead of moving just an inch, you will retain the same momentum from the fully charged Shield Breaker. So if you're really high, you could Shield Breaker right, then left, then right, to confuse the opponent and surprise him so you can recover. If you fall too low with the last slide, then you can use your double jump and Up B to recover.
I don't know if you were awnsering me or some other person. But should I tap left and then B after I release the fully charged Shield Breaker or before? And if you have some more info on where to find more Marth ATs please let me know.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah I was answering you, sorry for being unclear :).

Also, I thought I posted a chunk from that thread (which had 2 other ATs), but apparently it didn't go through.

I'll post it here:

- DS Ledge Grab:
How to perform: Dolphin Slash into the ledge after falling a certain distance
Effect: You will regrab the ledge faster than when ledge stalling normally. A character can not grab the ledge while he has vertical momentum, the only exception to this rule is specials that go upwards and can be auto canceled by an edge grab.
OP: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=216620
Video 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMWIo...eature=channel
Video 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR5rifkmIm8

- Stage-Spike Up-smash (stage-specific)
How to Perform: when an opponent is hanging on the edge of a platform, position Marth near the edge and do a U-Smash when their invincibility frames end.
Effect: Marth's foot, which carries a hitbox for U-smash, will contact your opponent, spiking them upward into the edge and bouncing them (1) away from the platform, or (2) down to their deaths.
Note: The effectiveness of this technique depends both on what character your opponent is and what stage you are on. Details at OP.
OP: http://smashboards.com/showthread.ph...38#post4934638

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
I'll save you the embarrassment and tell you it's been brought up MANY times before. People find it's usually better to just listen to the game.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
Inle is another Marth that lives in Ontario?

****.. you two (Inle and Mikey) need to teach me Marth, or help it get better. ): Please?

Mikha'el

Smash Cadet
Uh yeah im a little confused on the play style of Marth; is he more of an aggressive character or do i mainly play defensively and wait for an opening? And if there are different play styles for him can you give me some video links of some other marth mains that really capture the way he should be played? Thanks.

Mikey7

Smash Lord
Lol thx for placing the thing, but MK is just such a ridiculous matchup, and I don't really have Marth questions...especially none that could be answered by the Marth boards lol

Inle you should have asked me for friendlies and tips afterward or whatever....my first tip is drop the wii remote lol.

Tari I'll gladly teach you : p There are 2 upcoming tournaments, ask Chaotic about Niagara, I'll tell him about it right now as a matter of fact

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Marth can be played in a lot of ways. He can be played defensively, but when you have a chance or an opening, then go for it since Marth is good at being aggresive.

You could also be agressive from the start. Pressure them a lot. Depends on what character they are and how they handle it.

However, it's usually best to stay "safe" and play defense at least a little, because playing defense will allow you to see what kinds of moves they use in response for different things that you yourself do.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
I don't own a GC controller unfortunately lol. To be honest, I feel as if even if I did have one, I'd still use the Wii-Chuck. I don't know why, but I feel as if it would take me so long to learn the controller that it doesn't feel worth it.

Mikha'el

Smash Cadet
Marth can be played in a lot of ways. He can be played defensively, but when you have a chance or an opening, then go for it since Marth is good at being aggresive.

You could also be agressive from the start. Pressure them a lot. Depends on what character they are and how they handle it.

However, it's usually best to stay "safe" and play defense at least a little, because playing defense will allow you to see what kinds of moves they use in response for different things that you yourself do.
So basically adapt to the situation; that sounds about right. Know any good Marth videos? Im tired of just going down the list on the video thread.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah.

Lol any video should be good to watch, I'll let you know if I come by with any.

I've heard that MikeHaze's videos are really interesting/good to watch, you may want to check him out. A lot of players are interesting to watch I mean, but I heard MikeHaze plays very differently.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
PM me any responses. Since replies won't notify me :(
So I'm messing around with Marth and while floating towards the stage, a couple of random button presses and an uncharged ShieldBreaker give me a forward boost....Anyone know how to consistently do this? It aided my recovery quite well.

I would also like to point out that the boost I received was greater than the boost of an aerial DB1 from Melee could offer...

Mikey7

Smash Lord
I don't own a GC controller unfortunately lol. To be honest, I feel as if even if I did have one, I'd still use the Wii-Chuck. I don't know why, but I feel as if it would take me so long to learn the controller that it doesn't feel worth it.
Its way easier to have quick movements with a c-stick lol, its completely worth it and shouldn't really take long to get used to

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Yeah GC controller is WAY better than anything else (unless if there's some strange and hard to perform AT and you need something else like the CC controller), it gives you many advantages that other controllers can't give you.

@OmegaXF

I don't think that's known... There's a little exploit with a Dancing Blade that will cause you to "fly" quite a bit horizontally off the stage, but I don't know anything about Shield Breaker.

However, since they're both B moves, they may have the same cause, which is some kind of glitch in the physics of Brawl... post a video if you can?

Tari

Smash Apprentice
Tari I'll gladly teach you : p There are 2 upcoming tournaments, ask Chaotic about Niagara, I'll tell him about it right now as a matter of fact
Alright. (: Thanks. Though as for Niagara, hmm.. kinda far but yeah, I'll see about that and ask him as well.

SoupaSonic

Smash Journeyman
Hey, does anyone know if the Ken combo is even worth trying? Or if it is always reliable? I've always wanted to master it so that I could use it to finish off my opponents (and maybe have a taunt like "KEN KOMBO!")

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
I have trouble pulling off Dancing Blade in like fighting situations. I think I get nervous or something... I usually tap B too fast so I just do the first two hits and then nothing happens or i do it so slow that I do the first two hits then counter or Dolphin slash.

Any tips on perfecting the timing?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I have trouble pulling off Dancing Blade in like fighting situations. I think I get nervous or something... I usually tap B too fast so I just do the first two hits and then nothing happens or i do it so slow that I do the first two hits then counter or Dolphin slash.

Go into practice mode or Brawl a cpu, and just fling around dancing blade on your opposing target. You'll get the timing down eventually, it's a simple rhythm.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion

Becoming nervous during your matches is not uncommon. Don't fret about it.

Use neutral or up combination.

And go against a cpu or in training like Rukkiko said. It'll become second nature in no time.

Vecayse

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the tips. I think i'm gonna brawl against CPUs and just try perfect the timing. Oh and one more thing I wanted to know. When you guys do it, do you hold down the direction and press be or like flick the analog stick as you press the B button? if that makes any sense. I find it easier the second way, personally.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
You don't need to "flick" it each swing, you can hold the analog stick in one direction the whole time.

And generally, the rhythm for the up Dancing Blade is the easiest, you can mash the B button and you'll get it.
Neutral is slightly faster than the up combination.
Down Dancing Blade's last hit needs to be a lot slower than the final hits of the up and neutral rhythms.

Hope this helped :).

The Ken Combo, both parts ( Fair Fair Fsmash to the Fair Dair spike KO) do not combo at all, however you can pull them both off if they have bad DI or don't DI out of it, especially the first part (Fair Fair Fsmash).

Top Bottom