• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

C.J.

Smash Master
No, someone said it has something to do with UpBing and then grabbing the ledge before its over or something. Oh, and that it affects Marth a lot. Sorry but thats all I can tell you :ohwell:
*points to post a page back as for what it's called*
It's called the triple jump glitch. It affects a few characters, idr how many off hand. If you get the ledge w/ your upB, the next time you land on the stage, you will have the lag from the upB that you would have if you just landed on the stage. If you AC an aerial it will counteract the triple jump glitch.

So if I understood correctly, when Marth hits the ledge after UpBing, then the next time he lands on stage he will receive lag.
Yup

So much question is; is all of this true or did I not understand correctly? Also, is this the reason why I see so many videos where Marth ledge hop a Nair after UpB onto the ledge?
people ledge hop nair for that reason and it's pretty much Marth's only safe way back on the stage

gallax

Smash Hero
ok so ive picked up marth within the last 3 weeks and i have lik 5-6 video' of me playing. i really want to improve but need some help since the only other marth main lives like 5 hours away. but, im afraid to post my videos in fear of being flamed too harshly or just getting the "wow your marth needs works cuz its horrible" thing. im not posting my vids if they aren't going to be taken seriously.

in all seriouslness and honesty can i expect some good, constructive criticism that doesnt go overboard on my marth? some boards go crazy on people when they post vids and its just not worth it to go through it imo unless the boards are polite about it and are giving their honest opinion.

C.box

Smash Journeyman
ok so ive picked up marth within the last 3 weeks and i have lik 5-6 video' of me playing. i really want to improve but need some help since the only other marth main lives like 5 hours away. but, im afraid to post my videos in fear of being flamed too harshly or just getting the "wow your marth needs works cuz its horrible" thing. im not posting my vids if they aren't going to be taken seriously.

in all seriouslness and honesty can i expect some good, constructive criticism that doesnt go overboard on my marth? some boards go crazy on people when they post vids and its just not worth it to go through it imo unless the boards are polite about it and are giving their honest opinion.
Yes, yes you can.

Bellioes

Smash Lord
Yesterday, my bro did something really weird and I was wondering if you guys could give me an explanation.

What happened was that I was Diddy and he was Marth on Yoshis Island Brawl. I was getting ready to hug the edge while he was recovering. He saw me coming so he tried to beat me to it and UpBed. He must have been spaming Up and B because he somehow he UpBed twice. There were two sounds, he actually got more height than he should have, and you can see the slight delay between the two. It was really weird. If it helps, his second UpB started at the edge. What I was thinking was that he somehow canceled his UpB on the edge (which he said happened to him before in practice :ohwell:) and then he immediately UpBed again.

I have the replay so if anyone wants, I can send it to them since I cant record :(.

Anyone mind explaining?

Player-3

Smash Hero
theres some technical explanation, but basically when you ended your upb you were just in the right spot where the game thinks you are both on stage and in the air, thus refreshing your upb

but its already known

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
It was the sweetspot ledge glitch, Marth's UpB sometimes doesn't instant grab the eldge, but returns your UpB and jump, so he probably hit UpB another time after the glitch went into effect.

NNID
Budget_Player
I play marth a good bit, and love the agressive playstyle that I can adopt. But I have two problems.

1. My spacing is not great. Basically, I have trouble tippering, and I have a lot of trouble killing because of this. :( How can I train my spacing?

2. This will probably make you laugh, but I can't pull off a 4-hit dancing blade. >.< How do I do that?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
I play marth a good bit, and love the agressive playstyle that I can adopt. But I have two problems.

1. My spacing is not great. Basically, I have trouble tippering, and I have a lot of trouble killing because of this. :( How can I train my spacing?

2. This will probably make you laugh, but I can't pull off a 4-hit dancing blade. >.< How do I do that?
1. Watch videos of pros (kadaj, MikeHaze, Neo, etc) and see how they space. Keep your opponent at the tip of your sword.

Learn it. Love it. Red is hell, yellow is limbo and green is heaven. The green area marks the tip of your swordrange; this is where you get the most damage and knockback.

Spacing can be mastered against both humans and cpus, so take your pick

2. We're talking about Brawl, right? I'll keep it simple.
Press side+B over and over, rapidly, until you have completed the sequence. Change the direction of your joystick as needed. You can press it more than four times, I press it about 6-10 each time I do four in a row.
If you are still having trouble, slow down your B mashing.
*Note: You can hold the joystick in the desired direction, you do not have to move it with the B button.
If you are STILL having trouble, then try it in baby-steps. Do two DBs in a row. Then try three. Once you have three down, work on four.

BTW: I did laugh.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Okay.. So.. I know I asked this before.. but never got an answer.

How do you do that walk that mikeHaze does?
This is pivot walking. A lot of people do it. I "discovered" it. Well, I was the first to formally present it anyways (far as i know).

You can do it by either tilting the analog back and forth slightly as you walk. Or you can Hold A, Walk, and keep tapping Up and to the left on the C-stick.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
This is pivot walking. A lot of people do it. I "discovered" it. Well, I was the first to formally present it anyways (far as i know).

You can do it by either tilting the analog back and forth slightly as you walk. Or you can Hold A, Walk, and keep tapping Up and to the left on the C-stick.
MY bad. x.x;

And lmfao, I can't do it. I just keep pivoting in the same spot.

EDIT: Nevermind got it. Now.. what are the benefits of it?

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
MY bad. x.x;

And lmfao, I can't do it. I just keep pivoting in the same spot.

EDIT: Nevermind got it. Now.. what are the benefits of it?
It's faster than walking
You can use any attack out of it
If you were facing someone who spun around while they walked you'd **** in your pants

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Now I feel stupid. I've always been doing something like this:
forwards B->down B->back B->Up-B. The upB always turned into Dolphin Slash...

To those laughing: I'm not THAT bad with marth, it's just this one area. Honestly.
No worries. Most people are too proud to ask things like that; they are also stupid. I applaud you and wish you the best of luck.

For what it's worth.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
It's faster than walking
You can use any attack out of it
If you were facing someone who spun around while they walked you'd **** in your pants
Lmfao, so true.

And is there a special way to do it? I chose the second option about holding a and while walking, tapping the c-stick up and left; but for me to do that, since I use the GC controller, I have to switch the way I hold the controller. Left hand thumb is for the joy-stick, left index finger is for the L button. Right hand thumb is on the c-stick, right index finger is on the A button. Its kinda awkward since I'm not used to holding it that way.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Lmfao, so true.

And is there a special way to do it? I chose the second option about holding a and while walking, tapping the c-stick up and left; but for me to do that, since I use the GC controller, I have to switch the way I hold the controller. Left hand thumb is for the joy-stick, left index finger is for the L button. Right hand thumb is on the c-stick, right index finger is on the A button. Its kinda awkward since I'm not used to holding it that way.
To be honest, you have to do it that way, unless, of course, you can use the joint at the base of your right thumb in such a way that can tap the C-Stick correctly.
It's really not that much of a hassle. I switch the position of my hands on the controller for it all the time. Just practice it in your friendlies. At first, you will seem like a total newb who doesn't know what he or she is doing, but it's really good to learn to do it under pressure.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
To be honest, you have to do it that way, unless, of course, you can use the joint at the base of your right thumb in such a way that can tap the C-Stick correctly.
It's really not that much of a hassle. I switch the position of my hands on the controller for it all the time. Just practice it in your friendlies. At first, you will seem like a total newb who doesn't know what he or she is doing, but it's really good to learn to do it under pressure.
Fair enough, as long as I'm not the only one doing it that way, its all good.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Does pivot walking work for the Wii-Chuck "Pseudo C-Stick"?
............................................. __
......................................... __l... l__
(I'm talking about setting this: l__..o..__l to smashes)
............................................. l__l

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
Err... I couldn't tell ya... Try it.

Tari

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that went the way you planned it to look..

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
@ the diagram

Do you mean the directional pad where you do taunts? (it's grey).
Didn't know you could do that lol.

Yes, you definitely can! I understand what you mean, a lot of people DO definitely go crazy and start discouraging or insulting the uploader...

But yeah no matter how bad anyone is, you can definitely upload your video and post it into the Marth Video Criqitue Thread, and we'll do our best to help you out.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Does anyone know how to platform drop out of your shield (no shield drop, there's a difference in terms of frames but l forgot how much frames lol) like your holding your shield and you platform drop Fair (noshielddropagain). Cus I can't seem to do it WITHOUT doing a shield drop. And the difference of frames might be a game set or match thing =(. K thx if anyone makes an effort to answer this.

Viquey

Smash Journeyman
Stupid generic question time! I hope to go to a local tourney at the end of the month. It'll be my first--in fact, my first time playing brawl in-person with even semi-serious players altogether. XD

So, question is: any tips for A, preparing for it, and B, making the best out of it? I have no idea what to expect, so I don't want to make a fool of myself. xD

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Stupid generic question time! I hope to go to a local tourney at the end of the month. It'll be my first--in fact, my first time playing brawl in-person with even semi-serious players altogether. XD

So, question is: any tips for A, preparing for it, and B, making the best out of it? I have no idea what to expect, so I don't want to make a fool of myself. xD
Marths who attend tournaments more regularly probably will be better at this but for making the best of it:

1. Don't expect to win, your earlier tournaments are learning and social expiriences. Sure, play to win in your matches, but ultimately, you're playing to learn.

2. Play as much as you can, friendlies, matches, whatever. The more expirience you get with the more diverse group of players you can get at tournaments, the more it will improve your skill.

3. Network, tournaments bring together a lot of diverse players from lots of locations and it's a great opportunity to build contacts in the community who can later become long term friends and training buddies.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*

Do what all marths do!

Don't sleep the night before
Raid a KFC when you get a break
Rep someone else's tag if you feel like fighting in their honor
Shout out the names of the players who founded the techs that you use
Prepare yourself mentally, don't freak out
Play it safe when your opponent is at high percents, they can rack up serious damage if you abandon marth's amazing defensive playing style
Play as many friendlies as you can beforehand
Don't get discourage if you screw up
Think
Don't overthink
Have a hell of a time

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh

It's fairly simple go in to have fun and make friends. Also talk to many people, alot of people there even if they don't play Marth can teach you new tricks.
As for gameplay wise try not to be predictable, alot of Marths rely on using forward aerial and dancing blade, with ftilt and utilt for kills. A quick dtilt at higher percentages can help.
But just go in have fun.

As for a quick question Im not sure if anyone has experienced this, today I was playing a lvl 9 C.Falcon on FD. When Falcon was around 70% I believe I used dancing blade and went the forward-down-down-down, but mistimed and missed the last hit. Yet the third hit Falcon straight to the ground. Does the third hit of his Dancing Blade have the power to spike?

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Does anyone know how to platform drop out of your shield (no shield drop, there's a difference in terms of frames but l forgot how much frames lol) like your holding your shield and you platform drop Fair (noshielddropagain). Cus I can't seem to do it WITHOUT doing a shield drop. And the difference of frames might be a game set or match thing =(. K thx if anyone makes an effort to answer this.
I'm pretty sure that you have to shield drop, as the way that requires you to cancel your shield directly is a jump, not a fall through. So yeah, you have to shield drop =x

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion

1 Just review what you need to know and accept that you most likely aren't going to win. This is a learning experience. Sure its nice to be sure you are ready. Friendlies help. And having a good grasp of your emotions help too considering they can cause you to do some pretty idiotic stuff with marth.

2 Play to learn. But don't let that make you lose the match. See how far you can go. And learn along the way.

3 Expect some people completely serious. Expect some people laughing. Just have a good time and make some friends. They'll take you far.

Tari

Smash Apprentice

See.. I went to my first Brawl tourney some time ago.. and basically.. I did what everyone here is telling you to do. I practiced with my cousin the night before, staying up pretty late. When I got there, my cousin introduced me to a few people, and I just went from there, making new friends. He also told me that, "its your first tournament, so it should be a learning experience. You probably won't win, but I'm sure you could probably at least make it out of pools." I thought.. "****.. this'll be easy..." Lol. I was so wrong. When in pools, I started wanting to win and not caring about the experience, and so I made stupid mistakes.

What am I trying to say? Practice the night before; make new friends; play as many friendlies as you can so you can get your money-worth; and in terms of the actual tournament, play to win but don't freak out if you start losing. Keep your cool because in the end, its a learning experience. I dunno about you, but I usually don't play well under pressure. So just relax. :)

EDIT: Oh.. and rep the Prince. No matter how many other mks are there. :p

Tari

Smash Apprentice
Noob question: How do I save game play videos? I tried putting in an SD card, and moving the videos to the SD card, but when I tried to upload the videos, they wouldn't work. :/ I'd record my game play with my webcam, but I'm trying to get videos up for you guys to critique and I fear letting you watch something recorded with my webcam, might kill your eyes.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
Sadly, you can't upload replays as they're not a decodable file (legally atleast). You have to record them by camera or straight from a tv.

Top Bottom