• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
i don't DS out of shield at all. normally i just jump back and throw some nairs or fairs. is this bad y/n
I think you are missing the point on why DS OoS is good. Invincibility frames. Fair and nair don't give you that, nor are they nearly as reliable, especially not nair.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
I think you are missing the point on why DS OoS is good. Invincibility frames. Fair and nair don't give you that, nor are they nearly as reliable, especially not nair.
Yeah, it also hits very very quickly OoS (frame 5), meaning that you can punish almost any move with its fairly good hitbox. Any move that has more than 5 frames ending lag after block hitlag and blockstun can be punished, and this is vast the majority of moves in the game. So they have to space well to avoid this.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Dolphin Slash doesn't allow for a continuation of setups though.

I barely use it for anything other than multi hit attacks. A short hop to fair comes out in 8 frames anyway, and we all know how nicely you can continue the love with fairs.

Or just grab them, which is much nicer.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Dolphin Slash doesn't allow for a continuation of setups though.

I barely use it for anything other than multi hit attacks. A short hop to fair comes out in 8 frames anyway, and we all know how nicely you can continue the love with fairs.

Or just grab them, which is much nicer.
True but if you are near the edge and they are trying to come back on and they are at 100%, its got a great killing potential if you hit the perfect spotting. More like 80% with perfect spotting. It doesn't setup but if they are past mid percentages, its better anyway.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Jigglypuff ***** me. I know that F-air is longer range but I fail at landing it since jigglypuff in the air is pretty **** fast. Then while she's mid-air I can't grab and dancing blade doesn't work too well either. She dodges my F-airs and when I land she comes in with pound and juggles the crap out of me. Is there a more detailed strategy against jigglypuff?

illinialex24

Smash Hero
Jigglypuff ***** me. I know that F-air is longer range but I fail at landing it since jigglypuff in the air is pretty **** fast. Then while she's mid-air I can't grab and dancing blade doesn't work too well either. She dodges my F-airs and when I land she comes in with pound and juggles the crap out of me. Is there a more detailed strategy against jigglypuff?
Read my Jigglypuff guide stickied in the boards and it gives the match from a Jigglypuff perspective.

I know the matchup from both sides and you beat her on the ground fairly solidly. Her grabs are great however so be careful. Try to shield and DB her, and use F-tilt well as well as jab.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
You dont have trouble with kirby do you? Fight jiggs like a kirby w/o a hammer (or an Up B recovery )

Kishin

Smash Ace
Thanks, I think I'll use jab more. I find it difficult to land a dancing blade on jiggs mid-air. I will indeed look that guide up.

I don't think Kirby and Jigglypuff are fought the same way. Pound stays there for quite a bit of time and that gets me quite a bit.

Punishment Divine

Smash Champion
Thanks, I think I'll use jab more. I find it difficult to land a dancing blade on jiggs mid-air. I will indeed look that guide up.

I don't think Kirby and Jigglypuff are fought the same way. Pound stays there for quite a bit of time and that gets me quite a bit.
they're pretty similar...Kirby is really just a better version of jigglez essentially lol. It's even easier though cause her range is worse and most of her attacks are slower.

Vitamin_x

Smash Apprentice
She dodges my F-airs and when I land she comes in with pound and juggles the crap out of me.
Uhh.. why not just use retreating fairs?
You'll make jiggz airdodge but then you'll have time and space to jab or do whatever when you land.
Also, I think nair can sometimes punish airdodges. You could try that.

Or maybe even try to bait the airdodge and hit them with a fair.

Jesusdragon737

Smash Cadet
I guess any questions are fair game here.

What stages are good/bad/neutral for Marth?

What characters are good/bad/neutral match-ups for Marth?

Albert.

Smash Master

most consider Battlefield to be Marth's best stage.

and he does well on all the rest I guess.

Look in the stickies and the stage sounterpick thread.

Most characters are neutral against Marth or Marth has the advantage... at least on paper. Marths bad match ups are MK, Snake, D3 I believe

again, look in the Stickied "match up index" thread

Kishin

Smash Ace
Well, Kirby is more easy to deal with for me because the attacks are quicker and don't last very long. Pound stays forever and isn't fast so side stepping would be bad and when I shield I usually drop the shield too quick thinking I could punish but the hit box is still there. Now I know to use more jabs and forward tilts forJigglypuff.

Kishin

Smash Ace
The problem I see using DS OoS is that while Jiggs is mid-air, I don't think it'd sweet spot so it wouldn't knock jiggs far enough back at lower percents for me to not get punished.

illinialex24

Smash Hero
The problem I see using DS OoS is that while Jiggs is mid-air, I don't think it'd sweet spot so it wouldn't knock jiggs far enough back at lower percents for me to not get punished.
Depends on her spacing. If she is fair spacing you can 100% DS OoS punish her. Without being punished. It will sweetspot. Then again, you can also grab **** her and the like.

Darxmarth23

Smash Champion
My Last Post On Smash World Forums!!!

I would prefer to use battle field for Marth over anything.

In match ups, i would just watch out for MK(duh), Snake, DDD, and DK(50-50).

Hope that helps.

My last post on SWF(unless I come back and that won't be for a very long time). Why not spend it on the Marth boards where I grew my profile?:)

Good bye everyone! Good Luck! Have fun!

Happy Brawling!!!

P.S: Look at my sig, and seriously join. It would be my last request. I hop you see my points.

Actraiser

Smash Cadet
Hi.. I started playing this game again recently and have noticed a lot of Marths using DB1 in the air.. sometimes they go DB1 to Uair, or do Fair to DB1 and I've seen people just start DB in the air and proceed to finish it :p It seems somewhat effective at times but then again its online so I'm wondering if its ever actually legit to short hop DB1 or if I'm just playing vs noobs lol..

Doomblaze

Smash Journeyman
Actraiser:
DB1 in the air is never legit, people can just airdodge it or Fair your face off if you try to use it and they have quick enough reactions to punish it. Online it may work because of lag and button delay and such, but Offline (what really matters) it doesnt work. Once in a while you can throw it in there if you want to mix up what you do, but just beware that it is very punishable and please dont spam it.

I.E. youre just playing VS noobs =P but you came here so its ok

My question: Whats the best way to get out of grabs and kirbycide? I just mash the control stick back and forth and if i do it right i tend to get out of grabs fast, but sometimes i just dont (even at lower %) so im wondering if im doing something wrong, and if i should use the C-stick too or something...

Kirbycide pisses me off cause, although i know i shdnt have a problem with it since i can just Fair it, one of my friends does it soo much i just want to footstool spike him once to make him stop X_X (and that way i can help him get better instead of him thinking hes a beast cause he can kirbycide me)

Peace out DarxMarth, come back to say hi once in awhile.

Kishin

Smash Ace
Aerial DB1 -> F-air or U-air is actually a good mix-up since it can screw up the timing of the opponent's sidestep.

Question: Did I find a new ledge mind game or is it known?
On the ledge, drop, double jump away from the stage, then quickly reverse shield breaker and you will land on the edge of the stage. This means you are able to charge shield breaker like this for epic mind games maybe?

Would this be useful? Or too risky to ever try using seriously?

Btw, thanks for all the advice.

3xSwords

Smash Lord
Aerial DB1 -> F-air or U-air is actually a good mix-up since it can screw up the timing of the opponent's sidestep.

Question: Did I find a new ledge mind game or is it known?
On the ledge, drop, double jump away from the stage, then quickly reverse shield breaker and you will land on the edge of the stage. This means you are able to charge shield breaker like this for epic mind games maybe?

Would this be useful? Or too risky to ever try using seriously?

Btw, thanks for all the advice.
I guess the momentum shifting stuff is tricky and all, but you could do this just straight up charge, lean in a little while double jumping and still land on the stage, (btw I knew it before you posted but if you want credit I don't really care). If you're going to do this I wouldn't charge it, unless you've conditioned your opponent to shield, then they see the SB and they spotdodge and catch them by charging it but even then if you charge it there's always a chance they will immediately attack you or just roll away. Really you should just try it yourself and deem its usefulness, I feel risks are not worth rewards in this case but it depends what you consider a reward.

Kishin

Smash Ace
I don't care for credit. The idea I was thinking of is that when they see you fly back their first instinct would probably be to gimp you. Then they see you charging a shield breaker and most people I think would be in a WTF state and either hold shield or drop their shield after realizing you're charging a shield BREAKER. A non charged usually won't break shield and is easier to side step from, getting you punished. I guess I'm just obsessed with Shield breaking right now. The main reasoning for using this is you can charge a full shield breaker while landing on the stage. With the ledge hop shield breaker method I haven't been successful in being able to charge it for more than half a second and still land within the stage.

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
What exactly am I supposed to be doing in the GW vs. Marth matchup? GW is just...ugh. Halp por favor.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
What exactly am I supposed to be doing in the GW vs. Marth matchup? GW is just...ugh. Halp por favor.
Watch G&W bair you all day while you either counter or DS OoS him till he gives up and tries some original approaches (which you can also counter just to make him feel stupid and helpless) . G&W gets all grabby so avoid the grabs and whip out the good stuff (fair, nair, DB, dtilt). Go for DS OoS for the kill since G&W is more than happy to whip out bair again for you to shield it and punish him. Dont get usmashed since it kills at ridiculous percents.

In short, this matchup is all about how you handle bair, and to a lesser degree, nair, and dair. Use your shield well, tech a few dthrows and you are set.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
GnW is like the most misunderstood match-up these days. Fair>everything he has, so **** him with it. You don't even have to let him breathe. And his smashes are so laggy and obvious, you shouldn't get hit by them (or counter them). His turtle isn't as **** on Marth, so just constant pressure is the name of the game. And now off to school.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
At the risk of being flamed to oblivion, I have to ask:

How applicable is using a tippered D-Air against a MK after a grab release. I've checked frame data, and the first hit for D-air starts on frame 6. N-air starts on frame 6, and its said that Grab Release to N-air is difficult but usable. I ask this, simply because if it is possible (which I'm pretty sure it isn't) it would be completely abusable if mastered.

Grab->Spike FTW???

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
nair's hitbox is farther out in front of marth.

spiking them out of grab release is possible but avoidable.

Tennet

Smash Champion
so i was playing my friend's peach the other day and at one point i grabbed, pummeled then grab release > dash > usmash and killed peach. Its this not escapable? Or was just because of the surprise?

I think he was at a high percent too.

Inle~Orichas

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Steel.

Just one last thing:

On average, based on how long you guess it would take to get in range, how many frames does MK have to spare before ADing/Fast Falling?

Top Bottom