• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

andyisjudo

Smash Cadet
It would take so much time if I read all of the pages if my question has came up already lol So I mind as well ask. I've been searching for a video on the stutter step with Marth and I couldn't find it. Maybe can someone link me to one or just explain it please. I need to reteach myself that lol

V

Smash Ace
Stutter step is just starting a dash and immediately fsmashing

:phone:

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=288789&highlight=Kadaj ????

Just finished reading through it...that OP should of been changed >.<

So what is the best combo at 0% against mk? We can still get two dthrow grabs so would dthrow dthrow tipper fsmash be best? orrr other stuffz...
I like fthrow --> running shff nair --> fsmash, though the fsmash won't be tippered.

During Mike's set with Rain @ Genesis 2 (and against another MK during the crew battle) I noticed he decided to fthrow --> tippered fsmash, so it's probably guaranteed. It did 24%, which is pretty good.

fthrow --> running shff nair --> fsmash does more than 24 iirc, but I don't think it's guaranteed. It seems like it's likely to hit as long as they aren't spamming SL.

PS: Yes, these have to be done at 0%.

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
The fthrow>fsmash is a guaranteed follow-up and works from 0-3% on almost all of the cast. You can still get in a couple dthrow>fsmash at later % but it's not guaranteed and means your opponent is not DIing correctly. at higher %, grab release>dair spike is my favorite thing to do against MKs :bluejump:

Jeos

Smash Journeyman
I like the fthrow>fthrow>double SH nair (or one nair and fair).
if you know the opponent you can do some nice reads and punish accordingly.

also fthrow to tipper fsmash is possible but has to be very well timed, too soon it won't tipper, too late and be punished.

for sttuter step fsmash:

start a dash, do a foxtrot and during the time you're foxtrotting, you can cancel into a fsmash in both directions or dashing to both directions (initial frames), is all up to you.

question: what the **** is a DAC grab? D: or a boost grab...

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
I will do fthrow > nair > jab > db/grab/fsmash, if they don't know how to get out of fthrow > nair. If they do, or if I'm at kill percents, I will just fthrow > fsmash.

DAC is dash attack cancel. Just hit down on the C stick and then grab, kinda like you're doing a DACUS.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
What Charcters Marth can do chain grab and/or grab release, I know Wario, Ness, Lucas, Olimar, Fox, MK, Falco, have more?

V

Smash Ace
Pikachu, wolf, link, D3, diddy (GR > DA), DK, squirtle (GR chain grab), sheik?, and bowser. I think that's it but I'm not sure.

C.J.

Smash Master
I think you can GR->fair snake too.

Probably a few other characters that you just don't run into a lot too.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
Hi guys. I need a little help making a decision. Any serious input is appreciated.
I'm a ZSS main. She's my favourite character in the game and there's no way anybody else will ever become my main.
Now that that's said, I'm having trouble choosing who my secondary should be. I know I don't HAVE to have a secondary, but it helps. Right now, I'm stuck between Marth and Pika (no particular reason other than they're the most fun out of the rest of the cast, and they're not complete garbage), and they both do well (Pika especially) against Falco (ZSS' worst matchup, really annoying), so having either as a secondary will benefit me greatly in that aspect. I'd like to hear what other reasons you guys may have as to why I should choose Marth over Pika.
And I'd like to hear reasons such as MU coverage, CPing/being CPed to certain stages, pocket characters, how it affects my playstyle, etc. Please no spam.

P.S I'm fairly new to the competitive scene, after like 2 weeks I'll have been to 4 tournaments (in my entire life) so any other input (such as how much practice to put into mains/secondaries) is welcome.

V

Smash Ace
Pika is better against falco. As far as practice, you need to have absolute command of your character. You need to be able to perform whatever you're thinking without making mistakes.

basvhout

Smash Apprentice
Started the game playing tap jump off, still do so. But I read something wich might help alot if you have it ON. so I play marth i guess on is really helpfull for OOS options and thats needed for marth?

Akashi

Smash Lord
Started the game playing tap jump off, still do so. But I read something wich might help alot if you have it ON. so I play marth i guess on is really helpfull for OOS options and thats needed for marth?
you can buffer anything oos with tap jump off as you can on. For dolphin slash, I have x set to special, so i can roll jump (y) to special immediately. Obviously you don't need special controls, but it helps me.

rahsosprout

Smash Apprentice
I thought for DS OoS with tap jump off you have to shield drop first before doing DS as opposed to with it on where you can do it during multi-hit moves cuz of invincibility frames.

V

Smash Ace
Tap jump and using a jump button does the same thing, it's just a jump cancel oos. You can claw it too.

Napos

Smash Ace
Ideas to fight a Diddy? The diddy in my state has the banana lock down, so my marth got locked into a spike, help!

Also ideas to fight a pik and ICs?

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
the pika MU isn't that bad. you have more range with your aerials, and you can sdi out of his d-smash. counter his side-b recovery and space your fairs and nairs. also, at 0% you can do f-throw>f-throw>d-throw>f-smash.

as for the IC's, i don't have much exp. with them, but you need to space or else if you get grabbed, your dead. try to separate nana and popo, and idk if it's just me, but i noticed it's better instead of going after nana when they're separated, just charge a smash and wait for nana to run into it cuz she can't dodge or DI.

somebody correct me if i messed up on any of these points but i hoped that helped a little

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
When marth does a grounded up-b and hits the ground does he still have to land again to get rid of lag or does that landing from freefall count? Was watching some vids and it confused me a bit.

Also i read in a thread that marth can tipper upair mk via GR. The timing is somewhat similar to dair the person said. Can someone elaborate a bit?

V

Smash Ace
If he does a grounded DS he doesn't suffer RCO lag. I'm not entirely sure about the GR > uair but if it's similar to the timing of a dair then I'd just dair unless you're in the middle of the stage and uair would kill.

@ VICTR

What I've noticed most good Marth's do vs diddy is they just read his banana tosses and punish his follow ups. That's a really condensed statement but that should give you a start.

@ tubby

I don't have much wolf exp and I need to learn that MU as well so maybe Shaya could help with that. Against ROB you're gonna have to approach with the best spacing you can. His ftilt outranges your aerials but it has cooldown. I would stay just outside his ftilt range and test the waters with him. See if he commits to things and if he knows his spacing well. Space with nair not fair. His nair/bair/dair can be countered on reaction as long as you haven't commited to anything. Always pay attention to if he has a gyro charged or in hand. If he doesn't then know the spacing for a quick gyro so you know when to expect it. His dtilt is a pain. If he does it on your shield then DS oos. If he misses in front of you then dash > DB. If it connects DI up since it's a free followup and you don't want to be offstage vs ROB since he can gimp you well. If he does get you offstage and he goes for a fair the DS early. Juggles and ledgetraps are really good vs ROB. On the ledge all his options are telegraphed and in the air all he can do is AD, dair, and falling nair. Jump to bait the AD. If he doesn't then counter his nair/dair on reaction. He has trouble killing so his main method to kill you is getting you offstage. Always DI up. Don't get directly above him so you avoid usmash. If he's holding a gyro he's already shot then look for glidetoss > fsmash to get you offstage. Nair and bair are your best kill moves. If he upb's he can't AD until he lands or grabs the ledge so that's your chance to edgeguard him. Walk don't run (vs any character). Don't be afraid to throw out shield breaker as a mixup.

That's all I have hope it helps.

tubby

Smash Rookie
@V thx, really usefull stuff but do u (or anyone) know how to deal with rob's d-smash?
@Shaya can u tell me about the wolf matchup?

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
remember that swords out disjoint body parts (fair/bair/smashes/jabs) and that his out of shield options are quite bad.

You have to respect his shield in terms of range and lag though, he can cover all laggy options on his shield with shield drop fsmash (this is pretty important, not many characters can punish marth with a kill move when they fully spaced fsmash tipper their shield)

jab is very strong. His landing options aren't that strong due to marth's sword outdisjointing his shine

it kinda plays out like the ditto because of wolf's good range and similar aerial ability. Marth with very strong spacing (with subsequent reads) is very hard for wolf to do much with, but its very stressful play.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
If he does a grounded DS he doesn't suffer RCO lag. I'm not entirely sure about the GR > uair but if it's similar to the timing of a dair then I'd just dair unless you're in the middle of the stage and uair would kill.

@ VICTR

What I've noticed most good Marth's do vs diddy is they just read his banana tosses and punish his follow ups. That's a really condensed statement but that should give you a start.

@ tubby

I don't have much wolf exp and I need to learn that MU as well so maybe Shaya could help with that. Against ROB you're gonna have to approach with the best spacing you can. His ftilt outranges your aerials but it has cooldown. I would stay just outside his ftilt range and test the waters with him. See if he commits to things and if he knows his spacing well. Space with nair not fair. His nair/bair/dair can be countered on reaction as long as you haven't commited to anything. Always pay attention to if he has a gyro charged or in hand. If he doesn't then know the spacing for a quick gyro so you know when to expect it. His dtilt is a pain. If he does it on your shield then DS oos. If he misses in front of you then dash > DB. If it connects DI up since it's a free followup and you don't want to be offstage vs ROB since he can gimp you well. If he does get you offstage and he goes for a fair the DS early. Juggles and ledgetraps are really good vs ROB. On the ledge all his options are telegraphed and in the air all he can do is AD, dair, and falling nair. Jump to bait the AD. If he doesn't then counter his nair/dair on reaction. He has trouble killing so his main method to kill you is getting you offstage. Always DI up. Don't get directly above him so you avoid usmash. If he's holding a gyro he's already shot then look for glidetoss > fsmash to get you offstage. Nair and bair are your best kill moves. If he upb's he can't AD until he lands or grabs the ledge so that's your chance to edgeguard him. Walk don't run (vs any character). Don't be afraid to throw out shield breaker as a mixup.

That's all I have hope it helps.

Well,ya that's why i'm looking into it. There were many a time when i grabbed someone in the middle where a tipper upair prolly would of killed them.

V

Smash Ace
@ tubby

SDI out of it or DS through it I believe. I gotta test it.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Yeah.. jumpings bad against kirby because his bair absolutely ***** us trying to do any 'laggy movements' from the ground.

Jab and hard reads of his landings, rar bairs is very strong.
By hard reads of his landings, if you power shield a falling bair, you're gonna get some **** on him.
But if he fast falls into a roll, grab, utilt, spot dodge, crouch, and other stuff you gotta pick the right moves to take advantage.

Fortunately dancing blade is quite good here, but rolls, spot dodges, and utilts can beat it, as well as a dash away reverse fsmash (**** stings).

WALK ONLY. THERE IS NO REASON TO EVER DASH IN THE MATCH UP, THE SPEED OF KIRBYS ROLLS AND HIS RANGE ABSOLUTELY ANNIHILATE MARTH'S TERRIBLE DASH TO SHIELD LENGTH. Kirby's grab range is pretty monstrous. Don't get grabbed, it can mean half of your stock each time.

Use retreating aerials as a means of "trying to reset your spacing", but don't get read (i.e. dash to power shielding your rising aerial... it means an fsmash angled upwards or a grab).
Walking and trying to jab when he fast falls his bair. Just get used to the timing of his landing, if he isn't going to bair you should be able to tell, and from there you just need to not have him **** your spacing with a well timed roll / shield\dash grab.

If he's keeping "high" and stalling with jumps, just rar bair him.

FEFIZ

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3325-4003-4948
How many chacters I can Fthrow + Fsmash conect with Marth? And Dthrow + Fsmash conect? What chacters?

Top Bottom