• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
@Rad Ledge-hop, take the dsmash, SDI the down B spike, tech the ground, gimp the zamus, win.

soif

Smash Rookie
Firstly, who would be a good secondary for Marth? I'm considering picking up MK, but if there's someone else who will cover all my match-ups effectively, then that would probably be preferable.

Secondly, I'm trying to get into competetive Brawl but unfortunately I live in England and can't really travel a lot. Is it worth playing online friendlies in order to get better or will that be detrimental if I do ever go to a tourney? Maybe I should mix playing online with training mode offline and fights with CPUs to practise spacing?

Thanks.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
All forms of practice are good, so long as you use the tools correctly. Several top players have learned many MUs through use of WiFI, although it certainly is different than high level offline play.

Falco, Olimar, Pikachu, and MK all cover Marth's bad MUs relatively well. Falco and Olimar lose to ICs though, so if you're not confident in the MU, then I'd advise picking up someone else.

soif

Smash Rookie
Unfortunately I doubt I'm gonna get much ICs experience online! I'll try to go to a tourney when I'm a little older... Pikachu actually sounds good, so I'll choose between him and MK. What are the timings for air grab releases: fair on whoever and tipper fsmash on Wario?

soif

Smash Rookie
Ok. Is grab release -> fair gonna just be too challenging if I'm playing online?

Also, what does 'over b' mean? That's always confused me.

This one is stupid... how do I fight Ganondorf? <_<

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
I cannot answer questions about online play. I refrain from playing online.

over B is some people's way of saying SideB or Dancing Blade.

To fight Ganondorf, apply good pressure while reacting to certain moves that have notable start-up (like Ganon's SideB) with a well timed Spotdodge. Also, poke with Jab1 instead of Dtilt, because Ganon's Dair goes over Dtilt easily, and has a massive reward.

Laurel

Smash Ace
how do i break stupid habits like rolling? i stopped for a while but i'm doing it too much again.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Typically, bad defensive habits fill the gaps in your gameplay where you don't know what to do.

Instead of thinking "Don't roll", try to think "I should do a retreating Fair now."

If your only objective is to remove a bad habit, then that leaves a situation where you don't have a common option to rely on, and there is a hole in your gameplay. You remove bad habits by finding good ones to replace them with.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
OR you could take my approach.

I lock my wii in a random closet when im tired at 4am so that i forget which closet i put it in and hide the key.

By the time I figure everything out(1-2weeks). All my bad habits are gone and i can start over!

Honestly I think it is the best way to get threw a wall. What better way to defeat the existence of something you can't beat thaaan..TO DENY ITS EXISTENCE!!Just take a break for a week and its a mini restart button. You can fight it or deny its existence and press a restart button. Coming back from a week of no playing and your finger control will definitely be shot but after a day it will be back.

Thats what I do when Shaya infracts me. I just deny the fact Shaya is a Mod and can ultimately IP ban me. That and I do that when top players ignore me...i deny their existence.

Laurel

Smash Ace
i took a break for a week and then my rolling habit came back, sooo....

i'm going to do what pierce said.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
If it came back then it's your fault.

If it goes away for the first day and you started rolling halfway through that day then it's your fault. Not the system's. The system is meant to aid and make it easier to do what pierce said.

Geeth people get ith right.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i have a bad habit when i'm at kill %s with characters i don't know fully that i roll towards the opponent (since its a terrible option they won't expect it)

it doesn't work.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Practice. Actively identify why you are getting hit, and reduce those situations from gameplay as much as possible. That is the path to improvement overall, including, but not limited to vs. MK.

Akashi

Smash Lord
I just read the MK CG thread (I know, it was proven to be false), but it made me realize that I cannot find any threads that has a CG list for Marth. I looked through the stickies, but I either passed it by or it doesn't exist. I'm mainly curious on how to buffer the dthrow x10 on pika/squirt/wolf/falco/fox, but if anyone can link me to more CG options, I'd be much obliged. .-.

Also, hi, I'm a fairly new Marth main :x.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
I just read the MK CG thread (I know, it was proven to be false), but it made me realize that I cannot find any threads that has a CG list for Marth. I looked through the stickies, but I either passed it by or it doesn't exist. I'm mainly curious on how to buffer the dthrow x10 on pika/squirt/wolf/falco/fox, but if anyone can link me to more CG options, I'd be much obliged. .-.

Also, hi, I'm a fairly new Marth main :x.
Please take a closer look at the stickies!

Click here.

V

Smash Ace
I'm going over all the possible movement options in this game right now.

On a gamecube controller, the movement controls are: control stick, jump, and shield.

All the possible combinations I've come up with so far are:

Stand
Turnaround
Walk (3 speeds)
Dash
Run
Foxtrot
Crouch
Crawl (when applicable)
Shield/Power Shield
Tilt Shield
Jump OoS
Forward Roll
Back Roll
Spotdodge
Short Hop
Full Hop
Double Jump
Fall
Fast Fall
Airdodge
Tech
Tech Roll
Wall Tech
Footstool
Wall Jump (When applicable)
Wall Cling (When applicable)

From the ledge:

Ledge Hop
Ledge Jump
Getup
Getup Attack
Getup Roll

After hitting the ground:

Getup
Getup Attack
Roll Right
Roll Left

Are there any other MOVEMENT options I'm missing?

AuraStUrm

Smash Journeyman
Other than turning around while dashing, the only ones I can think of are fairly obscure or related to attacking in some manner - Circle Dashing, Glide Tossing, Hyphen Smashing, DACUS, and character specific stuff like Yoshi's Dragonic Reverse and Lucas' Magnet Jump are the ones I can think of.

AndGravy

Smash Apprentice
Hey peoples. Trying to make Marth my secondary, and after playing someone much better than me I realized I need to practice a lot more with him. Got a few questions to start with, but I might come across some more later on.

How do I practice stringing attacks together? Training mode is kinda meh since there is no real DI or unpredictability.

What are some ways I can use DB? I don't really know how to use it for spacing, but I can use it to lead into stuff (grab, utilt, ect)

Should Marth try to keep pressure on and be very aggressive, or should it be more of a balance of attack/defend?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Balance is always good. Focus on defense and spacing. Master Fairing your opponent in a way that you can dtilt them if they block the Fair without getting shield grabbed.

Use Dancing Blade to punish, or as a fast attack when two opponents are spacing on the ground. Do not try to combo it into other moves.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
general tips on approaching falco w/ marth?

most mus when i transition from mk to marth are easy enough for me to pick up if i put in the practice however, without nair or nado, dashing gets me ***** by side b.. =.=

can you side B that ****?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Realize that phantasm is an extremely risky move because if Falco gets hit out of it, he's screwed. For once, the carry over lag works to balance the game. Due to the lack of actual zoning tools against Marth, Falco will try to run away, but will not be able to perfectly space as to never get hit. Vary rushing in.

Understand that you are at frame disadvantage if you block an auto cancelled laser at close range. Understand that you can hit Falco first if he fires a high laser when you are near, if you didn't jump. You can Dancing Blade before the low laser comes out, or you can Dolphin Slash through the laser (without blocking) even out of a Dash, if you're fast/close enough, before Falco has time to block, or pick any option, once committed to the high laser.

Dancing Blade punishes spotdodge usually, when it's spaced well. Understand that Falco must still take risks to hit you. Understand how to deal with Fair, when to grab first and when not to grab. Most times, never grabbing, and never spot-dodging help a LOT against Falco.

If Falco isn't lasering, then obviously you can approach. Camp the distance to punish Phantasm, and rush in randomly.

@ SFH
You only need to push up to execute a tech hop, but yes.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
yes but IF you rush in and you read phantasm whats the best choice out of a dash to punish?
nair is to high albert LOOL i kept trying to (mk habit).

ive dash attacked it when i get like, nostradamus reads but yeah XD

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Depends on how much time you have. Fair ***** Falco, because if you catch him offstage without a jump, he's FREE, and if you hit him out of his jump, well then, he won't have one, LOL.

Dancing Blade is good for speed though, and Dash attack is good if you're making a hard read on Dash or Laser, because Marth goes under the laser.

If you won't be in time, just block and deal with the reset. Don't spot dodge. The only read you would ever spot dodge is if you think you're going to get grabbed, and the best response to this is always to try grabbing first.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Depends on how much time you have. Fair ***** Falco, because if you catch him offstage without a jump, he's FREE, and if you hit him out of his jump, well then, he won't have one, LOL.

Dancing Blade is good for speed though, and Dash attack is good if you're making a hard read on Dash or Laser, because Marth goes under the laser.

If you won't be in time, just block and deal with the reset. Don't spot dodge. The only read you would ever spot dodge is if you think you're going to get grabbed, and the best response to this is always to try grabbing first.
alright lol. mk has spoiled me so but ill deal with the reset :urg:

ive learned so much ive been playing mostly marth atm though. i ALWAYS have to be focused with him, its just fun. ill try and get vids up soon if i can

Albert.

Smash Master
Orion why would you want to use Marth vs Falco, anyway?

Your MK is so... proficient ;)

BTW there's this vid of Havok vs Dehf from like a year and a half ago from when Havok still mained Marth and Havok naired him out like every single phantasm, it was so tight

Orion*

Smash Researcher
its for fun lol

i dont plan on using marth against people i would have trouble against in tournament LOL
mks almost better in every place and mine has infinitely more exp.

V

Smash Ace
Has anybody experimented with back hit of nair for edgeguarding from the ledge? Its like a bair but it doesn't turn us around and has a crapton of knockback. It seems like it would be very useful

Top Bottom