• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
How do you guys like to deal with phantasm? I have the reaction time but the varying timing from the falcos side is messing with me(especially cuz the blue tint is my visual cue i've become accustomed to with pit and that's too early when trying to punish with marth a bunch of the time it seems). Is it better to give up the ledge trapping position in case they go for the ledge to better ensure a phantasm punishment if i believe they're going to go on stage? Is rolling backwards on reaction-->DB fast enough? Is dash shield--DB fast enough?

Just feel like i'm letting falco get away with phantasm too often. Unless it's really a 50-50situatioin with marth.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
That's what i'm saying. Jab isn't consistent enough it seems. Not with the amount of mix-ups and timing variances.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
You'd be surprised about forward tilt -
out for longer, starts low (as does jab), reaches out high and is not a move falco likes to get hit with in general (strong enough to hit them off stage/put them in awkward positions)

Reverse u tilt if you are within their second cancel range is pleasantly workable (if you think about it as a 8-9 frame start up that has a stupid hitbox)

Ducking can be helpful too.

In general though consistently handing falco's phantasm isn't easy with Marth.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
So are people who try to ledgeguard me with Fsmash instead of those mentioned above bad?

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
hmmm forward tilt huh...i'll try that out. Thanks shaya.

Ya i'm used to just being able to angel ring on reaction :(

-LzR-

Smash Hero
As.... falco?
As whatever the hell you are. Ppl here always just fsmash when I come back from the ledge and it seems like a pretty crappy option if you ask me, even if you manage to get hit by it it doesn't even tipper.

C.J.

Smash Master
Yes LzR, they're just bad.

Kuro, if you can't get ftilit to work, back roll -> whatever works well. Dash shield wiill only get you hit since you can't shield until frame 17.

Related note: If you grab the ledge when Falco is offstage and going to use phantasm to recover, uair and nair are your two best options to beat it out and stop his recovery.

Kel

Smash Master
Shaya when you came to the US did you tell everyone that they had to put vegemite behind their ears in Australia or else they would get drop-beared?

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
. . .

We need to not post false information on this thread.

The best ways to deal with Lucario's Fsmash is to powershield it.
Dancing Blade to UpB is not even a little bit real except when recovering, or trying to gimp specific fast falling characters.
Beating Phantasm has more to do with spacing, and less to do with hitboxes. Backwards roll is very effective.
Beating Quick Attack is best done mixing up typical ledgeguard aerials while keeping a cautious eye for a high recovery onto a platform.

ScareMl

Smash Journeyman
can i get a rundown on the game and watch MU? i have no idea what to do, what i should do, tricks marth has that gives him the advantage, etc.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
therefore, i've reached the conclusion that falco is impossible to ledge trap

NOOOOOO.

Falco NEVER EVER EVER wants to be off stage or on the ledge vs marth

dtilt and reverse stutter fsmash are all yoy need to ledge trap falco

:phone:

you can use almost anything to edge trap falco his edge options are garbs.

Edit falcos ledge options in terms of mix ups aren't necessarily horrible, but the risk reward associated with each is.

Beating Phantasm has more to do with spacing, and less to do with hitboxes. Backwards roll is very effective.
^^^

As clarification I would like to say back roll is not effective as every character.

Metaknights roll is short ( in terms of duration of invincibility and length of movement) so he tends to get hit if he's trying to back roll the phantism. Snake and marth however can back roll phantism relatively easily.

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
What are Marth's approaching options? I can play defensive fairly well, but it feels like approaching usually means I'm tossing empty F-airs hoping to bait a bad reaction. Once I get the initial hit for juggling/ledge trapping I know what to do, but I'm not as comfortable in the neutral position.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
^ That's most of what the game offers in general when it comes to approaching.

A strong neutral position game requires good use of patience, walk and tippered grabs mainly. Walking is the best spacing tool in most match-ups [especially up close] and the consistent possibility to get a grab opens a wide spectrum of options. Ultimately, the better your play in a neutral position is the sooner you should be obtaining a more advantageous position.

:059:

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Actually the hitstun is the same as melee. It's just that it's canceable and a couple other factors makes it not like melee. When the project M ppl were going into the game to make it they found that out.

C.J.

Smash Master
Kuro stole my response- jerk

Also, I was super excited that EL posted for a moment, then I read the name. I was sad.

Cassio

Smash Master
[collapse=forward roll frame data]5-12 / 23 Metaknight
4-19 / 27 Lucario
4-17 / 27 Pit
4-15 / 27 Zero Suit Samus
4-19 / 29 Diddy
4-19 / 29 Squirtle

4-20 / 31 Kirby
4-19 / 31 Donkey Kong
4-19 / 31 Fox
4-19 / 31 Pikachu
4-19 / 31 Luigi
4-19 / 31 Zelda
4-19 / 31 Sheik
4-19 / 31 Falco
4-19 / 31 Peach
4-19 / 31 Ganondorf
4-19 / 31 Ice Climbers
4-19 / 31 Wolf
4-19 / 31 Ness
4-19 / 31 Sonic
4-19 / 31 Captain Falcon
4-19 / 31 Lucas

3-19 / 32 Jigglypuff
4-19 / 32 Mario
4-19 / 32 Ivysaur
4-19 / 32 King Dedede
4-19 / 32 Olimar

4-19 / 33 Ike
4-21 / 34 R.O.B
4-19 / 34 Yoshi
4-19 / 35 Charizard
4-19 / 35 Marth
4-19 / 35 G&W
4-17 / 35 Snake

4-21 / 37 Wario
4-19 / 37 Link
4-19 / 37 Toon Link
5-20 / 39 Bowser
4-23 / 44 Samus[/collapse]Sorry if this question is generic, but what are the uses of marths forwards roll? What would be considered good uses for it (MU specific is fine too)? Im doing some roll research.

Kel

Smash Master
Oh so it's just spacing the Up B? Is it actually safer/ faster than just regrabbing the edge using jumping or does it just look flashy/ tricky?

Top Bottom