• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a quick question, get a quick answer (The Marth FAQ's)

mikeHAZE

Smash Legend
The CG on fox is fthrow->fthrow->dthrow x5->tipper fsmash.

Grab release to fair works on G&W according to MikeHAZE but kadaj says they can upB away from it in time, so idk which.

Grab release to spike on MK is legit ONLY if it's done over the edge so that you can run off and use your midair jump to do a rising dair. You have like a 2 frame window though, lol

Backlash, I've heard of those both, but never seen them pulled off consistently though, so idk

For MKs tornado, the most common thing I hear is to DI up and try to footstool out. Of course you should try to counter/nair/DS him out of it.

Marth's bad match-ups are MK and Snake. Some consider DDD even and other consider ROB and DK to be 55:45 against Marth

if they upb it, you're doing it too late.

C.J.

Smash Master
if they upb it, you're doing it too late.
They can up b away from you. If they up b straight up they will still get hit but if they do it away they can escape most of the time because te up will lift you up as well as him but he will be moving away from you while your going striaght up
Soo, yeah. Just repeating what I heard and where I heard it from

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
are you guys trying the chain in training mode? if so there's no decay in your moves in training , which is a vital part in the chain on fox i believe, the decay reduces the damage and knockback of the throws which allows you to fthrow twice, dthrow five times, and position fox correctly for fmash tipper
they seem to get out of mine out of training mode or in it. that means im waiting too long on the grabs, hmm? back to the practice ring =D

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
are you guys trying the chain in training mode? if so there's no decay in your moves in training , which is a vital part in the chain on fox i believe, the decay reduces the damage and knockback of the throws which allows you to fthrow twice, dthrow five times, and position fox correctly for fmash tipper
Lol is this why you guys could pull off like 7 grabs on a Fox? I never knew you could do that. Good job bringing that up XD

Although if you really can chaingrab a fox that long, that would be awsome.

@Thunder

Yeah it will feel really wierd, but try to input the run before it seems like you even threw the Fox (as in when Marth is still in the throwing animation).

MDJA109

Smash Cadet
Lol is this why you guys could pull off like 7 grabs on a Fox? I never knew you could do that. Good job bringing that up XD

Although if you really can chaingrab a fox that long, that would be awsome.

@Thunder

Yeah it will feel really wierd, but try to input the run before it seems like you even threw the Fox (as in when Marth is still in the throwing animation).
sorry my wording on that post was a little unclear. the chain grab only works OUT of training mode, in a real match. and it DOESN'T work in training mode. you really can chain fox for that long.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
sorry my wording on that post was a little unclear. the chain grab only works OUT of training mode, in a real match. and it DOESN'T work in training mode. you really can chain fox for that long.
There are a lot of Smash n00bs and Smash children these days... Hail to the Marth Mains!

can you still grab release>dair MK if he jump escapes?

VietGeek

Smash Hero
There are a lot of Smash n00bs and Smash children these days... Hail to the Marth Mains!

can you still grab release>dair MK if he jump escapes?
jump escape? The GR has to be aerial ("jump" out of your grab) for any legitimate follow-ups (since you're given 50 frames to react), otherwise you're given a standard 30 frames, a neutral position between your Dolphins and his Smash of Down.

Or something like that.

But yeah, you can do that if you buffer accordingly and are at a specific location of the stage when you do so.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

OH i see :D That's sweet... ima go practice that now XD. I was thinking that since moves don't decay in training mode, that you could chaingrab them longer since you wouldn't have to pummel to get your grab range fresh.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
jump escape? The GR has to be aerial ("jump" out of your grab) for any legitimate follow-ups (since you're given 50 frames to react), otherwise you're given a standard 30 frames, a neutral position between your Dolphins and his Smash of Down.

Or something like that.

But yeah, you can do that if you buffer accordingly and are at a specific location of the stage when you do so.
Wait what?

You only have 21 frame advantage on an aerial grab release on MK.
Ground is zero.

You really only have 29 frames to react.

Grab release to spike on MK is situational in an utmost degree.

I think if every topic Shaya ever made was stickied the Marth boards would always be knowledgeable.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol. Frames are a wonderful thing to have, since you can look at em and see what attacks link better with which XD. Except that with frames, it destroys the method of just screwing around and trying different attack combinations, and so you can easily check if something's a combo or not, and things are figured out sooner... well whatever XD.

Pr0phetic

Dodge the bullets!
It's just cause you haven't looked into if Victor, go read the tactical forums, then come back and figure out some more Shaya type combos for Marth :)

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
everything
and Rukk..iunno about that..i dont think i would get it

experience.
research.
practice.
marth.

These are what makes a good smasher. I lack each except the fourth, and apply the first two to the third =D
No lie, I read notes on frame data, psuedo combos, general information, etc... on sheik, ROB and marth during civics this whole year. and it helped like crazy. Just find time and LEARN. the PRACTICE what you LEARN. then with EXPERIENCE LEARN to utilize what you PRACTICE in matches with MARTH and other characters.

C wut I did thar???!

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
like... if I do it right is it a noticeable difference?

/noob
If you can notice a difference of a few frames then yea, otherwise no.

That's what I was getting at.

btw, a frame is 1/60 of a second. The average person reacts in about 13/60 seconds, the average smasher 10/60, and the best humanly possible is about 7/60. Assuming they are primed to react of course, otherwise it's about a second.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
If you can notice a difference of a few frames then yea, otherwise no.

That's what I was getting at.

btw, a frame is 1/60 of a second. The average person reacts in about 13/60 seconds, the average smasher 10/60, and the best humanly possible is about 7/60. Assuming they are primed to react of course, otherwise it's about a second.
so how do i knowz if im buffering the run successfully? by whether or not it links?

ViCTORiOUSViC

Smash Apprentice
NNID
vmp5511
experience.
research.
practice.
marth.

These are what makes a good smasher. I lack each except the fourth, and apply the first two to the third =D
No lie, I read notes on frame data, psuedo combos, general information, etc... on sheik, ROB and marth during civics this whole year. and it helped like crazy. Just find time and LEARN. the PRACTICE what you LEARN. then with EXPERIENCE LEARN to utilize what you PRACTICE in matches with MARTH and other characters.

C wut I did thar???!
i mean i alrdy applied to Marth, and practice, but i lack research and a little of experience...or maybe not because i only learn from watching matches and asking questions

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
Approximately where is the sweetspot on the Falchion? I have a feel for it when fighting, but I'd like to have a specific location so I can think about where it goes during attack animations (like on the backswing of nair). I'm not sure how large it is along the blade, either.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Uh, do not hit a shield with Dancing Blade if it can be avoided.

NARUTOG, I'm willing to guess that you're at a level of play where I would NEVER use Marth's Dair. Just use your Fair to hit opponent's who are trying to recover. At almost all levels of play meteor smashing is not good with Marth.

The best way to get a feel for the sweetspots on attacks is just to fight a lot. It's near the tip of the sword.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
Wait what?

You only have 21 frame advantage on an aerial grab release on MK.
Ground is zero.

You really only have 29 frames to react.

Grab release to spike on MK is situational in an utmost degree.

I think if every topic Shaya ever made was stickied the Marth boards would always be knowledgeable.
I worded it wrong; stop being nitpicky Shaya. You won't make friends in the Americas like that! >=(

50 frames to react would be amazing btw; great for old men like me

Pierce7d "The best way to ... sweetspot ... attacks. It's near the tip of the sword."

I didnt know Marf's sword had a sweetspotz near the endz of the sawd!
Shaya stop assuming people know these things! I didn't know Marth had a tip until this year! I thought it was some SSBB hitlag glitch. <_<

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Lol.

Yeah, the sweetspot is all around the tip of the sword during a swing, not just one point in the sword. Just go to practice (or practice in the Practice Stage when waiting for a WiFI match) and hit the sandbag/CPU around.

The tip is very narrow (talking about distance away from marth, NOT the swing of the sword). It's about as long as if you were to slightly tap the control stick to the side to make Marth walk the slightest possible, like one step or less.

Thunder Of Zeus

*Rumble Rumble*
The "tip" varies throughout the length of the sword, growing larger at the back. For this reason, I pivot before jumping off of the edge if I see a dair tipper possibility.

Here's a good way to get the general idea of where the tip is:
Start a match (not on wifi) against anyone on any stage with any settings.
Jump into the air
Dair
Pause the game
Look at the color that follows the sword's path
The white part is the tipper area

Top Bottom