• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ask a Question, Get an Answer Thread~[Read Before Asking a Question]

rockem7

Smash Ace
Does it really matter whether you use N64, Wii Virtual Console, or an Emulator to play the game? Is one recommended over the other?

rpotts

Smash Lord
Most prefer console, many have controller johns. Emulators are nice if you have adapters for other controllers you prefer. Good computers can run the emu "better" in terms of graphics but nothing beats console imo.

Wii VC sucks cause the controller mapping on the GC.

mtxj30

Smash Rookie
How do i play online?

i want to get better at this game by playing better people.

i hear people saying that you can play smash online with the n64 controllers.

how do i play smash for n64 online?

mtxj30

Smash Rookie
what is nair uair bair and all that other air stuff

i watched some advanced technique videos and i still cant figure out what it is

Glöwworm

Smash Lord
neutral air = jumping and pressing a

up air = jumping and while still having the joystick upwards, pressing a

back air = jumping while having the joystick left or right depending on where the character is facing and then pressing a (away from towards the direction of the character is facing)

forward air = jumping while having the joystick left or right depending on where the character is facing and then pressing a (facing towards the direction of the character)

down air = jumping while holding the joystick down and pressing a

LULZY

Smash Cadet
download Project64k

if you use vista or windows 7 download Project64KVE

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
So I want to get into competitive Smash 64. First, just how large is the community around, and second, is there an adapter anywhere to hook up an N64 controller to computer? Too lazy to google atm.

DMoogle

A$
So I want to get into competitive Smash 64. First, just how large is the community around, and second, is there an adapter anywhere to hook up an N64 controller to computer? Too lazy to google atm.
1. At peak times, Galaxy 64 (main North American Smash 64 server) has about 100 people (Fro can probably give a more accurate number). There aren't many live tournies, except for some places on the west coast.

2. Yes. Check on ebay. There are some threads on here where people have posted reviews on different adapters. Search is your friend.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
The PC controller adapter I bought for my N64 controller didn't work at all. The controller works just fine on console, though, so it's not the controller. It was this type that works for both PS2 and N64 controllers to the PC. Avoid getting one of those...

_x-SouPMario-x_

Smash Rookie
Okay.. is there any possible way, maybe a gameshark code, to turn off tap jump? i use c-down and anytime i try to u-air i accidently jump again, its frustrating and quite annoying.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Do you remember the topic" If Captain Falcon Have the Knee" ?????

Well, this happen >: D

Credits to Danny and Nokaubure :p

PD: All the melee characters GS will be released when ALL the melee characters will finished
The tread this guy/girl posted is really interesting and I have a SSB64 question related to it but not directly which is why it is posted here.

THE QUESTION

If one can program moves into the game could one program some of the moves of characters moves into the game that were not in the game originally? For an example if I programed (I can't, horrible with computers) Mewtwo's moves into the game and take foxes model and just use a texture pack to make him look like Mewtwo could you with that method psudo-create new characters. I asked the question about programing characters into the game before and the answer I go was along the lines of not going to happen. Is it now semi-possible with this method and for most of the moves that look nothing like Mewtwo's moves (Using him an example I wish this question to be applied to all possibilities.) Just program the hit boxes with out the nessessary image? Anyway this is a serous post and I am looking for a Serious response.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
The PC controller adapter I bought for my N64 controller didn't work at all. The controller works just fine on console, though, so it's not the controller. It was this type that works for both PS2 and N64 controllers to the PC. Avoid getting one of those...
I had this happen, but I just tried another controller and that one worked.

Okay.. is there any possible way, maybe a gameshark code, to turn off tap jump? i use c-down and anytime i try to u-air i accidently jump again, its frustrating and quite annoying.
No you just have to get used to it unfortunately

DMoogle

A$
The tread this guy/girl posted is really interesting and I have a SSB64 question related to it but not directly which is why it is posted here.

THE QUESTION

If one can program moves into the game could one program some of the moves of characters moves into the game that were not in the game originally? For an example if I programed (I can't, horrible with computers) Mewtwo's moves into the game and take foxes model and just use a texture pack to make him look like Mewtwo could you with that method psudo-create new characters. I asked the question about programing characters into the game before and the answer I go was along the lines of not going to happen. Is it now semi-possible with this method and for most of the moves that look nothing like Mewtwo's moves (Using him an example I wish this question to be applied to all possibilities.) Just program the hit boxes with out the nessessary image? Anyway this is a serous post and I am looking for a Serious response.
I'm pretty sure NOKA's codes just combine some existing coding in the game. E.g. Falcon's knee is (I THINK) just his double jump animation, and the hitbox and knockback mechanics are "stolen" from another move.

Mazor

Smash Cadet
How do I set up the game for minimum desynch and lag (emulator, options, etc)?

Specifically I might play against people in the US (west or east) and I live in Europe (Sweden, not that anyone knows where that is).

I would play privately, so popularity of emulators is irrelevant and I just want the best possible setup.

Not interested in replies from people who have only used PJ64k/"PJ64k is fine hurr" etc.

Thanks in advance.

DMoogle

A$
I've heard Mupen64k is more stable for online play than the far more popular PJ64K.

I'm not entirely sure about plugins though. There shouldn't be any emulator configuration that should affect your delay, for better or for worse.

Robsta

Smash Ace
Has anyone tried the N64 Hori Mini Pad 64? What are they like for smash compared to a regular N64 controller?

I'm thinking of getting one because the stick seems a little more sturdy and I can plug it into my console/adapter.

DMoogle

A$
Has anyone tried the N64 Hori Mini Pad 64? What are they like for smash compared to a regular N64 controller?

I'm thinking of getting one because the stick seems a little more sturdy and I can plug it into my console/adapter.
I've heard nothing but good things about it, EXCEPT for one fatal flaw: it is not currently compatible with any adapter. From what I've heard, somebody needs to write a driver specifically for it.

Oh yeah, and they're expensive as hell.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
I assume you mean with keyboard.

Set a c-button in the settings (input, controller, whatever), then lightly tap it. The control stick keys are unsuitable in real-time because they have fixed range.

2nd Legion

Smash Rookie
Does anyone have a good set of control for Project 64 emu that supports short hopping since Im finding it hard to support another key in my keyboard Config

asianaussie

Smash Hero
post your current configuration - if you're already sort of used to it then you should be able to build on it.

if you only started yesterday then someone else's config might prove helpful though.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
How do I set up the game for minimum desynch and lag (emulator, options, etc)?

Specifically I might play against people in the US (west or east) and I live in Europe (Sweden, not that anyone knows where that is).

I would play privately, so popularity of emulators is irrelevant and I just want the best possible setup.

Not interested in replies from people who have only used PJ64k/"PJ64k is fine hurr" etc.

Thanks in advance.
You should simply join the european ssb64 group. You will have so much delay playing with americans, its better to play with europeans
Go here for more details: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271733

Mazor

Smash Cadet
I've heard Mupen64k is more stable for online play than the far more popular PJ64K.

I'm not entirely sure about plugins though. There shouldn't be any emulator configuration that should affect your delay, for better or for worse.
Thanks for your reply.

You should simply join the european ssb64 group. You will have so much delay playing with americans, its better to play with europeans
Go here for more details: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=271733
I am sorry if I was unclear but as I said I want to play privately, against people I know. I am aware of the european SSB64 group and it is in no way related to what I am asking for here.

Furthermore playing against americans does not give me too much lag as it is, I am just looking for the optimal setup to keep it along with desynch at the lowest rate it could possibly be.

DMoogle

A$
What exactly do you mean by "lag"? Different people use the term differently. There are three main factors that go into the stability of online play:

1. Desynch rate - Simply how often the plays desynch from each other. There are many factors that can affect this, including stability of the internet connections, the plugins/emulators used, as well as some other things.

2. FPS - how fast the game runs in terms of frames per second. SSB should run at 60fps (unless you're playing on the PAL version, in which case it should run at 50fps). Sudden, quick drops in FPS are usually called lag spikes. They can be caused by a program running in the background that suddenly needs more computer resources, or from an unstable internet connection (most often wireless). Closing background programs can help this, or changing your internet connection (which can be hard).
Consistently lower than 60fps (such as always running at ~55fps) suggests that the computer is simply not powerful enough to run SSB at the settings that the person has selected. Usually the easiest fix for this, if possible, is to lower the resolution.

3. Delay - how much delay there is between pressing a button and it appearing on the screen. This is presented in the form of frames, such as 3 frames. Since the game should be running at 60fps, a delay of 3 frames should theoretically mean that there is a 1/20th of a second delay. This may not sound like much, but good players should definitely be able to notice the difference. The delay is determined by ping, which is the time it takes for a signal from one computer to reach another computer, then come back again. Basically, the best way to get a lower ping is to play with people that are geographically close to you.

Mazor

Smash Cadet
While I appreciate and thank you for writing this long and descriptive post which would be very helpful for someone not familiar with smash and/or the concept of playing a game online, I belong to neither of these groups of people.

By desynch I mean what you refer to here as 'desynch rate' and by lag I mean what you refer to here as delay. FPS is neither an issue for me or the people I will be playing against.

So with that hopefully cleared up, along with the fact that I will be playing privately against people I know in the US while I myself live in Europe, I am once again asking how to set up the game for minimum lag (delay) and minimum desynch.

I know how crucical every frame of delay is and that there will be several frames of delay even with the optimal setup, but it would be nice to know how to reduce it as much as possible.

Aside from delay which potentially can't be changed much (but any reduced delay is worth it), I imagine there being a noticable difference in amount of desynchs from setup to setup (different emulators, p2p vs server etc) and it would be sweet to have the setup with least possible amount of desynchs.

Dragoon Fighter

Smash Lord
Question that is an extension of what I already asked.

if one can steal hit boxes from other characters by using hacking than can make a sudo-character like I was talking about earlier but the character would not have any moves not already in the game for example

(Texture Hacked Fox with hacked moves) Mewtwo

up b- Pikachu teleport (No need to texture Hack)
netural b- Samus charge shot (Texture Hacked to look like shadow ball)
Down b- Jiggily puff's song (Texture Hacked to look like disable)

Lightest weight in the game and Kirby level Floaty.

"Mewtwo's" Speed=Link

This is just an example because this is not even covering the A button moves.

but could one "Create" (I know this is not real character creation but you know what I mean) using this method.

I feel sorry for what ever hacker spends time on this, if any.

DMoogle

A$
Can you Z cancel fox's down aerial smash?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "aerial smash." Most people use "smash" to mean the three (usually) strongest ground A attacks... "up-smash" "down-smash" and "side- or forward-smash."

I'm guessing you simply mean attack though. Most people would call that a down-aerial A attack "d-air" for short. Yes, Fox's d-air can be z-canceled. All aerial A attacks can be z-canceled, except for very few that don't have any landing lag, and thus don't require it.

Robsta

Smash Ace
I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "aerial smash." Most people use "smash" to mean the three (usually) strongest ground A attacks... "up-smash" "down-smash" and "side- or forward-smash."

I'm guessing you simply mean attack though. Most people would call that a down-aerial A attack "d-air" for short. Yes, Fox's d-air can be z-canceled. All aerial A attacks can be z-canceled, except for very few that don't have any landing lag, and thus don't require it.
What I mean is, sometimes when I do a dair it makes sort of a yellow splash on the ground and other times it doesn't. The times when it makes the yellow splash or I fast fall I can't z-cancel it at all.

Also I can't seem to get my RT and LT buttons on my xbox controller to work on Project 64.

Thanks a lot for all the help :chuckle:

th3kuzinator

Smash Master
question1:
what button is the best to press when you are hanging from the ledge and an opponent is trying to recover (but will not make it back to the stage, only the ledge) to prolong your edgehog. I am sure this is more useful at above 100% damage, but answers so both below and above 100 are appreciated.

2:
what are some good non-generic jiggs combos. Obviously something that isnt the standard utilt rest, uair rest, fthrow -> uair ->dair->rest

I am looking for combos with fair/bair/nair/pound in them (if possible)

thx

Top Bottom