• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
omg, that stupid hore of a girl showed up again.
lolol
Do my female preferences make me racist?
Hell no
The white choice is the right choice :D
Hell yes
This equals you both being prejudice I've managed to find many intelligent black girls who know what they are doing with their life (NOT THE GHETTO *****S) also I will date a white girl (asian before white) but still this isnt cool
crazy little thing called physical attraction
So he's not racist necessarily, he just needs to get better/more matured taste.
You best be joking
To further prove this fact, I'm half asian and I believe that asian girls(on average) aren't that entirely good looking. As I previously stated about girls...the white choice(For me) is the right choice :)
Much truth here
you know like 80% of stuff taken from manga is worse so why not read the manga?
Because manga reads like a bad fanfiction 99% of the time. Shows at least have animation and sound to offset the writing (although anime is rank with its own issues). And oh god light novels. Toradora LN is considered better than the show. It was...

So my mom did Little Rock - Branson in 2.5 hours both ways, once at night. She's a faster driver than you guys, but that doesn't explain a 2:1 discrepancy. Iunno.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
White girls on average are more attractive than other races. But when Black and yellow (;)) girls are hot, they're reaally hot. My personal opinion. :)

Because manga reads like a bad fanfiction 99% of the time. Shows at least have animation and sound to offset the writing (although anime is rank with its own issues). And oh god light novels. Toradora LN is considered better than the show. It was...

So my mom did Little Rock - Branson in 2.5 hours both ways, once at night. She's a faster driver than you guys, but that doesn't explain a 2:1 discrepancy. Iunno.
Anime is a longer, more boring, art ***** version of manga. Light novels are the sad attempts of orientals to write.

Never driving with your Mom.

If you spoil anything I will make it my personal project to destroy you.
What the hell can we spoil? It's about a single guy raising his aunt. O.O

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Eh, the driving felt right with both my mom and the others, but she somehow pulled it off in half the time. I really don't know how it happened.

Anime's length and boringness are fairly related to me. Reading bad/generic dialogue while the screen pans across describes the majority of anime watching. HOWEVER. You get that same level of writing in the manga, and although it may take less time to get through, I don't think the payoff is as great as with an anime. Those high points that validate a series (like with Toradora) actually mean something if treated well in the show. Otherwise, it's... a sad attempt of orientals trying to write. Dear sir or madam, you're not good enough to make me really care about your characters. And like I said, the animation tricks and music make anime more palatable.

Orientals can write btw, if Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Murakami (slightly more relevant example) are any judge. Lack of immersion due to lack of ability is the real problem.

BunBun

Smash Master
Anime- When done right, amazing. Sadly, it's very rarely done right. Too much nonsense gets thrown in, and pacing is usually more garbage in anime than either of the other mediums. I don't like having to devote 22 minutes to something that I could read the equivalent of in about 3, and have it still be more fleshed out.

Manga- Even when done poorly, usually still okay. A great story can offset horrible art (Ares, Pita Ten (though it got better), Elfen Lied), and amazing art can offset a garbage story (Superior, most manhwa). The pacing is generally good, until you hit authors that just suck *** and need filler (Bleach, Naruto, HunterxHunter), or decide to cut down the amount that goes into each chapter (Kami no Mizo Shiru Sekai and Magico as of late), or decide to release once a month instead of weekly ('sup D. Gray-man), or just ****ing disappear (WHERE DID YOU GO, YUMEKUI MERRY AND D.N.ANGEL!?). The downside to manga is that a lot of times, you'll have something that you consider to be pretty good, but it'll get cancelled and you're left feeling cheated and unfulfilled (Mx0, Lock-on).

Light Novels - The problem that we all have is that for us to enjoy a light novel to it's fullest extent, we have to not only rely on the quality of the original writing to be up to par, but also we must have a translator that can write on an equal level. A lot of the problems I run into when trying to translate a light novel is that the writing has so much inflection that a l can't find a good way to keep the deeper meaning of a line in without completely butchering the flow of the paragraph. Let me grab a quick example that I ran into working with BCotFM on Sword Art Online. Well, it turns out that I don't have the page on this computer anymore xD But it was a way the line was written, that the kanji used was understood to be something like a seed, but at the same time it also had a less-used meaning as a 'deep, secret emotion'. Taken literally, it was something stupid like "A seed was growing...."blahblahblah, and when one of the other translators left it like that, I raged for like 10 minutes on AIM. There's just too much that has to be right for someone that doesn't read it in the original language to be able to appreciate the writing that goes into these things.

Though, some are absolute ****. (Heya CubedxCursedxCurious!)

But no, don't say things like Orientals Can't Write. They can write hella well.

They just can't drive for ****.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, translation is a problem. And there are always exceptions. I think my expectations just aren't appropriate for these mediums :\

Still, the vast majority could learn a hell of a lot from "show, don't tell." Exposition, philosophy in dialogue. Almost no one can do that right. It ruined the Dune series. And yet they try anyway.

lol Eva

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
I've been meaning to on March Hare's recommendation. He really is your mini-me :D
It's so good. :)

And bun-bun why the manwha hate? :(

Superior is the ****. In a good way. Beautiful art with a classic 2 dimensional harlequin romance plot line. WITH monsters!

How can you not love it? :embarrass:

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
Any written or drawn work is going to be quantitatively superior to its anime simply because the time commitment of reading a manga is far less than watching an anime.

My recommendation for all disappointed manga lovers of things like Mx0 ending in lameness and/or cancelation is to read one of the other 10,000 mangas like it
or read the Korean Web Comics from Naver which are EpicEr

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
That first sentence doesn't begin to make actual sense

unless you're quantifying series based on how long they take to complete, in which case you don't begin to make actual sense

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
That first sentence doesn't begin to make actual sense

unless you're quantifying series based on how long they take to complete, in which case you don't begin to make actual sense
You seem to be implying that his 2nd sentence did make sense or had in fact any relevance at all to anything. :bee:

BunBun

Smash Master
It's so good. :)

And bun-bun why the manwha hate? :(

Superior is the ****. In a good way. Beautiful art with a classic 2 dimensional harlequin romance plot line. WITH monsters!

How can you not love it? :embarrass:
I like Superior, but it has a pretty garbage story. Like I said earlier, though, the art more than makes up for it.

Also, I'm not hating on manhwa. It's just that a lot of it that has made it through translation follows the same problem of 'great art, mediocre storyline'.

And my handle has no '-' in it =)
Any written or drawn work is going to be quantitatively superior to its anime simply because the time commitment of reading a manga is far less than watching an anime.

My recommendation for all disappointed manga lovers of things like Mx0 ending in lameness and/or cancelation is to read one of the other 10,000 mangas like it
Mx0 was generic, true, but it was interesting in its own right.

The VAST majority of webtoons on Naver suck. Only their top earning tier ever has decent stuff, and that's because at each different exposure level, the artist and author are forced to start over completely.

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America

The Nodame Cantabile anime is better than its manga. For one simple reason, immersion. Why read about music when you can listen to it? Why read a manga when you can watch it? I say that most of the time I committed to anime was worth it. All of this also depends on how much your time is relatively worth. In a way I consider anime to be an upgrade, like from a black and white tv to a color tv.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
The Nodame Cantabile anime is better than its manga. For one simple reason, immersion. Why read about music when you can listen to it? Why read a manga when you can watch it? I say that most of the time I committed to anime was worth it. All of this also depends on how much your time is relatively worth. In a way I consider anime to be an upgrade, like from a black and white tv to a color tv.
while I was reading Nodame cantabile I turned on some classical music. I turned on some rock while reading beck. I don't have to listen to the same old crap that the animes spam.

I like Superior, but it has a pretty garbage story. Like I said earlier, though, the art more than makes up for it.

Also, I'm not hating on manhwa. It's just that a lot of it that has made it through translation follows the same problem of 'great art, mediocre storyline'.

And my handle has no '-' in it =)
Goes back to being proud to be a 'mini bunbun.' :)

Raven_Knight

Smash Rookie
@arby
quantitative means that it can be measured
So saying something is quantitatively superior means that there is a measurable difference in the pleasure derived between reading a manga and watching an anime
@Bun Bun
I ignore the vast amount of Naver Trash. I only bother to read the ones someone has bothered to translate to english. So I'm left happily in the dark about the general quality xD

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I turned on some rock while reading beck
Eeeh, this one is somewhat of a problem. Beck music is pretty unique and emotional in its own way (I imagine more so in context). With NC, you've already heard those pieces a million times, and they're not individually too meaningful anyway.

And they murdered Rhapsody in Blue :glare:
@arby
quantitative means that it can be measured
So saying something is quantitatively superior means that there is a measurable difference in the pleasure derived between reading a manga and watching an anime
. . . yeah, and I'm saying ur dum for basing your comparison on completion time

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Hmm, I just found out this got canceled after only 3 volumes =/
http://www.mangareader.net/1462/shinigami-sama-ni-saigo-no-onegai-wo.html

It's amazing. Only two volumes have been translated so far. Volume 3 doesn't resolve anything, but the author's blog says that he is working on getting it back in serialization.

Anyway, ****in' read it.
Read the first volume a couple of months ago. It's fairly amazing. I had it on my watch list for a while but then forgot about it. Thnx for bringing it back to my attention. :D

BunBun

Smash Master
Derp, volume 4 is out. It didn't get canceled, it just stopped serialization temporarily.

I need to l2readingcomprehension

I also just bought volume 4, so it should be here in a couple weeks.

Zechs

Smash Rookie
Seems like I need to do some training to beat you Arkansas people.

Too good.

So Wednesday we still leaving around 5pm?

Are we driving straight there with people taking turns driving? I don't mind driving for a little bit but would like to practice my hand-off while we are just going

GD sig show up

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
We need to plan this trip out instead of just picking up and leaving.

how many of us will be in the vehicle?

will we still take a cooler so we don't waste money on food or drinks?

will there actually be a bed or couch for everyone to sleep on?

I'm not trying to be a big complainer, but some things people really want to know before they happen.

BunBun

Smash Master
You're right. I'm pretty sad my character stinks :(

But at least my char don't have T-Rex arms :D
Grab range, from most to least:
Samus
Link
Young Link
Marth
Roy
Yoshi
Kirby