• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I can't today or tomorrow because I'll be out of town. We need to have an outing to wingstop or somewhere soon though. Like when the rest of the gang gets back and clay can come too.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
What's everyone's main reason for hating brawl?

BTW didnt keep up with Genesis since I didnt care for it (i.e. didnt know the date for it)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
It's the truth Clay, we've seen you once in a month, but you're posting up pics nightly with people from church. But yeah, I did at least see you tonight :D

we'll hang soon :)

edit* BunBun is totally right. Why would we play games we can't stand? It's a bad game Memk. Seriously, did you think we all hate it because you enjoy it? Cause you know that's not even true.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
What's everyone's main reason for hating brawl?

BTW didnt keep up with Genesis since I didnt care for it (i.e. didnt know the date for it)
If you've ever played fighting games competitively (besides brawl lol) you can see that Brawl is the antithesis of competitive fighting games and competitive anything.

The game is still fun casually and I'll play it in tournament. However in no way do I ever take it seriously even in tournament. I still manage to take top 5 every time we have a tournament... that's pretty sad.

Why Brawl sucks: The special Cyner report

Brawl's slow pace a huge step down in mental and physical quick responsiveness from Melee or even most normal fighting games.

Lack of hitstun in most situations completely destroys the ability to follow up one attack with another this process is also known as "Combos"

Without shield stun the risk/reward factor for characters with more move lag is completely unbalanced and thus characters with higher ending lag on their moves are at the bottom of the tier list rather than being able to risk a slow attack but remain relatively safe due to the opponent being unable to attack for a short time.

The removal of wave dashing limits the movement options of the entire cast making spacing in general much less complex.

L-Canceling added a good deal of depth to the game in that you can cancel half the lag on an aerial move but not on a grounded move. Additionally for characters with very slow aerials L-Canceling is the only thing that could make those characters viable in the metagame at all. Whereas in Brawl those characters are just out of luck.

The addition of tripping is the worst addition to any game, fighting or otherwise that I could have possibly imagined.

Auto ledge grabbing makes edge guarding nearly impossible and takes away from game mechanics of even having to throw your opponent offstage. It also removes any skill from having to recover back to the stage when knocked off.

The floaty physics make it so that one never has to worry about making quick decisions while you float down like a balloon running out of helium

Because of the techniques of wavedashing, crouch-canceling, L-Canceling, platform cancels, dash dancing, moonwalking, and the mount of skill it takes to perform these in very small amount of time with extreme precision a person with more skill will be able to stand a very good chance of beating someone who is using a better character. Whereas in Brawl there are many many literally unwinnable matchups.

In conclusion: Brawl sucks

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
If you've ever played fighting games competitively (besides brawl lol) you can see that Brawl is the antithesis of competitive fighting games and competitive anything.

The game is still fun casually and I'll play it in tournament. However in no way do I ever take it seriously even in tournament. I still manage to take top 5 every time we have a tournament... that's pretty sad.

Why Brawl sucks: The special Cyner report

Brawl's slow pace a huge step down in mental and physical quick responsiveness from Melee or even most normal fighting games.

Lack of hitstun in most situations completely destroys the ability to follow up one attack with another this process is also known as "Combos"

Without shield stun the risk/reward factor for characters with more move lag is completely unbalanced and thus characters with higher ending lag on their moves are at the bottom of the tier list rather than being able to risk a slow attack but remain relatively safe due to the opponent being unable to attack for a short time.

The removal of wave dashing limits the movement options of the entire cast making spacing in general much less complex.

L-Canceling added a good deal of depth to the game in that you can cancel half the lag on an aerial move but not on a grounded move. Additionally for characters with very slow aerials L-Canceling is the only thing that could make those characters viable in the metagame at all. Whereas in Brawl those characters are just out of luck.

The addition of tripping is the worst addition to any game, fighting or otherwise that I could have possibly imagined.

Auto ledge grabbing makes edge guarding nearly impossible and takes away from game mechanics of even having to throw your opponent offstage. It also removes any skill from having to recover back to the stage when knocked off.

The floaty physics make it so that one never has to worry about making quick decisions while you float down like a balloon running out of helium

Because of the techniques of wavedashing, crouch-canceling, L-Canceling, platform cancels, dash dancing, moonwalking, and the mount of skill it takes to perform these in very small amount of time with extreme precision a person with more skill will be able to stand a very good chance of beating someone who is using a better character. Whereas in Brawl there are many many literally unwinnable matchups.

In conclusion: Brawl sucks
This is mostly hating mechanics and Glitches that were "fixed"
WaveDashing = wavebouncing

Spacing = DACUS

L-Canceling = Aerial/ Auto - Canceling

Dash dancing = Dash Dancing it was not taken out (WTF EVERYONE LEARN THIS, THIS IS A TACTIC IN MOST NINTENDO GAMES)

Crouch Canceling = taken out to make more realism

Skill to perform these are mostly small, but DACUS, BDACUS, and Wavebouncing are extremely difficult

DACUS hardest to do with Sheik, Fox

Wavebouncing - Just hard in general

Every new game in a series has new techniques overall everytime I ask this question this is the same answer

Floaty Physics = play FALCO or FOX no prob

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-xTk66kk1k&feature=fvst

^^^^ New combos start at 0:50 (dont know how to link a video to a certain point if someone wishes to tell me go ahead)

Tripping is controllable from own experience

If you constantly move and do different attacks you will never trip

Auto grab can be disabled for your opponent if you know how to control it

G. Vice

Smash Lord

Spacing = DACUS

L-Canceling = ADIB (name made by me there is no set name for it)

Dash dancing = Dash Dancing it was not taken out (WTF EVERYONE LEARN THIS, THIS IS A TACTIC IN MOST NINTENDO GAMES)

Skill to perform these are mostly small, but DACUS, BDACUS, and Wavebouncing are extremely difficult

Every new game in a series has new techniques overall everytime I ask this question this is the same answer

^^^^ New combos start at 0:50 (dont know how to link a video to a certain point if someone wishes to tell me go ahead)

You posted all that for us to only respond with "Brawl still stinks." Don't make us break down melee and why we love it, or we'd be here all day. This little section you typed up might explain the complexities of Brawl, but we'd need alot more room to get into melee.

Seriously man. We hate the game, and it's not like you can talk us into thinking a game that we're better than you at is good. It just makes me hate it all that much more.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
Doesnt give you a reason to hate it I just explained everything you were missing and you still have hatred for it.....What am I missing

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Doesnt give you a reason to hate it I just explained everything you were missing and you still have hatred for it.....What am I missing
Let me use a metaphor to make it more clear to you.

When you see a pile of crap, you want to go up to it and play with it: Mold little mountains out of it, maybe even pretend it's some form of chocolate and eat it. You'll argue all day with me that it's a superior experience playing with the crap than some other similar substance, mud or play-dough for example.

When I see a pile of crap, I know what it is w/o touching it or playing with it...

crap

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
I'm just gonna give you the benefit of the doubt here and assume that you don't know, because you don't know.

Personally I don't hate Brawl, but it is a BAD FIGHTING GAME. When was the last time you saw a tournament for a Naruto fighting game? That's right, never. That's because it's a bad fighting game. Brawl's initial wide acceptance was because everyone figured it would be riding the same paths as Melee and everyone was hype for it. However the game is shallow and dull, slow and boring, requires little skill and it's character balance is terrible.

IN NO WAY is: Spacing = DACUS that is a single AT with limited use that can be easily punished and doesn't involve the sort of thinking and planning that the speed of melee requires.

If you don't play Melee competitively I would suggest you start. Learn it, understand it. You will start to understand why Brawl is so inferior. The hatred toward Brawl is because it was supposed to be an upgrade from Melee, rather than a downgrade from 64.

Here is a video that show's all the tech skill involved just a few seconds of time in Melee:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMhXSJBn808

Enjoy.

Edit: Also I used to be like you in 2008, I didn't know because I didn't know. By 2009 I knew Brawl was bad but no one played Melee where I lived. Eventually I moved to Memphis and learned how to play. srsbzns

BunBun

Smash Master

Spacing = DACUS

L-Canceling = Aerial/ Auto - Canceling

Wow.

So, I've tried being nice, but you're just stupid. Like, I'm just letting you know, you're stupid.

None of us enjoy the game. Step away for a minute and think. It doesn't matter how complex the game is or isn't if we don't enjoy it. Typing up a (very incorrect) list to go "hey guiz look it has this so you shouldn't hate it" misses the point entirely.

And LOOOOOOOOOOOL at that combo video. It makes even the most mediocre melee combo videos look cool.

Here, this is a very ****ty melee combo video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmFAwoSWwHY
It's still more interesting than the video you posted.

And now, let's look at some real matches. Our game doesn't need to have combo videos to be fun to watch.

I'm not even going to cherry pick amazing matches, I'm just going to go to a tournament thread and grab a video that looks like it could be cool based on the players.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFXrW0TawzE&feature=related

I was about to look for a random brawl video, but then I fell asleep at the thought.

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
bunbun be trollin

cyner i play melee and brawl competitively

march hare gave legitimate answer

I love all three equally mostly this is just a game mechanics war

communites
64= dgaf im playin 64

melee= ugh brawl but yay melee

brawl= dgaf if i want melee gameplay i'll play it or get p:m

neither one of you have given me a reason besides ATs and speed

:phone:

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
Brawl is basically a big Mario Party mini game.
Melee is the chess of video games. By that, I mean the depth, variety, and skill required to play are beyond anything you could get from Mario Party.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
bunbun be trollin

communites
64= dgaf im playin 64

Turns out that AT and speed are kinda a big deal to us. Some might call them 'deal breakers.'

Also, people. You know you can turn off the little iPhone thing, right?

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
I'm pretty sad to hear Saberguy didn't make it past pools =/ Especially since he's better than me so I probably wouldn't have either lol

Also, people like to leave the little mobile thing on because that way if we make stupid typos we have a good excuse lol.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
bunbun be trollin

communites
64= dgaf im playin 64

Having to demonstrate skill is a part of competitive ANYTHING. The fact that Brawl takes so very little to compete makes it extremely lackluster in the eyes of any competitive player.
If you hate fighting games then Brawl is the perfect fighting game.

LlamaSensei

Smash Ace
Hey VTS, I was wondering if I could come out to your place for a weekend to practice some IC stuff? Maybe the 22-23 or 29-30 of this month?

Anyways, let me know. It would be cool.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sad to hear Saberguy didn't make it past pools =/ Especially since he's better than me so I probably wouldn't have either lol

Also, people like to leave the little mobile thing on because that way if we make stupid typos we have a good excuse lol.
VTS didn't make it out either and he's legit. Arby's amazing too and he didn't as well. Those are the best of the best at that tournament, don't feel too bad.

Also, Memk. If you like brawl that's fine, but please don't think you're changing our minds. We've played and we hate it, and no matter how meagerly you try to explain how it's redeeming in any way, you win not win one person on your side...so give up. Play the level 9 computers if you love it so much, but you won't get any brawl love here.

The only reason I would ever play brawl vs you is to show you that though I never touch the game I can beat you at it with strictly but melee carry over skill.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Zane you scrubscrub, VTS made it out of first round pools.

Just not 2nd round

Jack made it out of 2nd round as 3rd seed
I was referring to 2nd round pools, as you see it technically still is "pools." But yeah, Jack's awesome.

You nub BB you just mad cuz you play sheik

memk

Smash Cadet
NNID
memk1213
not trying to change minds, just trying to give it at least some credit and not just hate and flame forgive me for trying

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
That crew battle was amazing

They're straight up calling them death pools because that's exactly what all eight are. Good GOD.
I've hated this tourny so much. Haven't been able to find anything about what's going on. Just bad twitter posts and half said chats to give me what's happening.

Top Bottom