• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

AnDaLe

Smash Champion
I was asking you

I know vts, will, and I at least are unable to break poor play, and it has to be a mental thing. you brought it back in a big way after being down on yourself, and I want to try and understand how.

dr pp is a strong supporter of taking breaks, and I know that works, but you started playing better midmatch it seems like.
Yea, poor play is definitely a mental thing, but it can also be a combination of BAD HABITS and not being able to break them, not learning the meta-game correctly, agile/flexible finger movement, poor reaction-time, and i'd like to include also bad eating before the tourney a.k.a. FOOD COMA. You shouldn't have doubt either. Doubt can kill your gameplay. I always try to think positive and even if i lose, I say to myself "I'll learn how to beat you next time..." or "Why am i getting hit by this?" (then i find out why and how) lol

For me, watching videos was the best way to train. Analyze matches over and over again, and try to mimic and perfect the playstyle and certain moves that are "game-deciding". (When to do certain moves at the right time, know right DIs, when to fastfall and not, why ppl dash dance in a certain way, etc.) From there, what I did was try to think of something creative and build from from what I learned from competitive play so that nobody will expect it. Also I tried experimenting A LOT in friendlies even if it cost the game. Of course, you need to play to learn too.

EDIT: Oh another thing, Always try to play players that are better than you! lol At previous tourneys i've gone to, I kept nagging at players better than me to play. It's definately worth it! You learn a lot in little time.

Seifersythe

Smash Apprentice
Well it won't take but a few hours to finish our time with the good ol' count. If we start at 10 we'll be finish around midnight. What time are you free, UALR pups?

In other news, Seibrem finally died on me so I've been digging through her body to learn what I can about computers. Of course, she is a seven year old store brand HP so I'm not sure what I'm learning. But it is interesting.

So I'll need to throw together a Home Media PC at some point. It won't be much at all. Just something that plays 1080p without *****ing about it. Maybe I can find something in a local pawn shop or a handmedown someone wants to throw out. We'll see.

It's an adventure.

-Edit- I would just like to point out, my avatar is awesome. Hell yeah.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Arby, did you go back and pull out that stuff we got yesterday? Versus Sheik? How was it btw?

Also I can't believe you're actually picking up Sheik :/

but I guess it's good for us in a way.

Vts

Smash Champion
Arby, did you go back and pull out that stuff we got yesterday? Versus Sheik? How was it btw?

i was going to work on my sheik some more

also my falcon is bad and yet so good at the same time

well that what arby told me :D

just got out of class so omw to seifs!

G. Vice

Smash Lord
i was going to work on my sheik some more

also my falcon is bad and yet so good at the same time

well that what arby told me :D

just got out of class so omw to seifs!
I don't know man, I just don't think you have it in you to play anyone but IC's.

You're like me. No matter how hard to want to have decent alts, it just won't work and your best bet is your main only :/

Maybe not, you may be different than me. Although I felt like my falcon was actually doing better than it had been lately yesterday.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman

it were somethin' ter use, fer darn tootin'

I've always felt bad about sucking with a character that has such a good effort to results ratio. she'll pass soon enough, but yeah, you could learn a lot about fighting her before that point. you're good at hitting her, but being hit is another story entirely :bee:

plus, I get to add another character to the half a handful I know how to play :D
(ganon, ganon, and pichu)

yeah your falcon is getting better, but your ganon is infinitely better than the rest for sure. same for vts' ICs, chamber's fox, and yoshi's falcon.

Zivilyn Bane

Smash Master
ok, but the only thing I'm confrontational about is half-spoken/hidden emotions (as recently exhibited), so if there's something going on or something wrong with me I want to know.

have you been to lamberts in eastern missouri? I think it took the top spot on food network's places to pig out. that place is amazing.

kels says he wants to quit too. one bad tourney shouldn't matter that much :(
BTW Lamberts is only about a 15 minute drive from the venue. I haven't been there just yet but hear it's really good. Also I hear it can be quite a wait to get in, especially on a Friday/Saturday night.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Where is this tourney? What's the name of it? How far is it from here? And when is it? Many questions I don't know the answer to.

The weekend working squad on my floor has returned from medical leave, so I don't have as many hours to fill. So as long as I hit my minimum amount of hours per pay-period I will be good...so I may be able to go to some tourneys in the near future.

Thanks Arby, I'm glad we got something vs Sheik to go in the video. Also, yeah my Ganon is infinitely better, I'm afraid my CF is only getting better in dittos, and Yoshi's Yoshi is his best character.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
man, vice, I'm watching the stuff from a couple nights ago, and you become such a better player as the night goes on. vts went emo again today, and I don't know what to tell him. what did you do to regain your focus/confidence/whatever?

it was kind of a good thing because vts' falcon tech skill got too pro instead :D
See Arby, I didn't even see this post until I was back tracking looking for the name of that tourney Z. Bane was talking about.

Is this is reference to the night where I was getting creamed at first, then brought it back?

Or was this a different night? I don't know...I guess I kinda adapt or something because I like to think that after playing for a bit I can figure just about anything out. idk :l

Edit* also Last night Arby, I felt like I was playing pretty good, and I believe it was truly because of my mindset to have fun/enjoy the game. I felt like my Ganon wasn't too stiff, and because of my mentality, it just seemed like a better night of smash, and that carried over to my CF who usually blows.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I want to pimp slap my sheik watching it against you two. I won't quit her until you guys know how to steal her koolaid!!
You won't be pleased until every combo is a zero to death, and if you mess up a single time you'll never forgive yourself and curse your sheik's existence.

Those 0-death stocks are so discouraging for Ganon :C

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
you can escape most of her nonsense early on with proper DI and use of jumps, momentum edgecancels, and techs. she may put you in a disadvantageous position or begin a techchase, but that's better than straight up eating like fifteen moves. unfortunately, sheik lives in the land of milk and honey so the opportunities are gonna keep flowing. thankfully she has glaring weaknesses so make her overextend and punish hard.

midterm time!

G. Vice

Smash Lord
you can escape most of her nonsense early on with proper DI and use of jumps, momentum edgecancels, and techs. she may put you in a disadvantageous position or begin a techchase, but that's better than straight up eating like fifteen moves. unfortunately, sheik lives in the land of milk and honey so the opportunities are gonna keep flowing. thankfully she has glaring weaknesses so make her overextend and punish hard.

midterm time!
I don't know...I watched Kage vs M2K's sheik, and in the Ganon boards we were talking about how even though Linguini knows the Sheik matchup, that he still didn't even make it out of pools because he lost to a sheik.

I mean, those are our go-to-guys, and they don't handle it super well. It's slightly upsetting to know that props will be given to us according to how many stocks we get off the sheik, instead of how you beat the sheik :/

SaberPrime

Smash Journeyman
I don't know...I watched Kage vs M2K's sheik, and in the Ganon boards we were talking about how even though Linguini knows the Sheik matchup, that he still didn't even make it out of pools because he lost to a sheik.

I mean, those are our go-to-guys, and they don't handle it super well. It's slightly upsetting to know that props will be given to us according to how many stocks we get off the sheik, instead of how you beat the sheik :/
Just be better than them, simple.

chamberlin

Smash Ace
yeah your falcon is getting better, but your ganon is infinitely better than the rest for sure. same for vts' ICs, chamber's fox, and yoshi's falcon.
Alas, I will forever be stuck with such a horrible character... Woh is me.. WOH IS MEEEEE!!!

Hahahaha, who am I kidding. He is amazing. *in hick voice* Focks Mackloud, I cant quit yoooo!!!

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Alas, I will forever be stuck with such a horrible character... Woh is me.. WOH IS MEEEEE!!!

Hahahaha, who am I kidding. He is amazing. *in hick voice* Focks Mackloud, I cant quit yoooo!!!
I've given some thought to quitting smash because I'm not able to keep up with you guys...

*cry cry boo hoo*

Nah, I can't quit smash til I get a family and even then I may still be sliding around who knows.
Clay, you're like 30 right? At what point does one stop smashing I wonder...

arbustos

Smash Journeyman

saber's right. forge your own path! surpass them! just because m2k sucks vs falco doesn't mean marths are screwed.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Sorry ment to say ponies ponies everywhere

There kind and cute with some nice hoofs
saber decided to send that message when he has the money, so we'll wait a couple days

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

here's that program I was talking about. it changes the luminescence and color of your screen as the day goes on so you don't have that terrible blue light meant for midday at night. it screws with your sleep cycle and eyes, and I've noticed since using it the past three days that I feel tired when I should and my eyes are basically amazing. looking at another screen with all that blue light hurts now.

it takes a day or so to get used to the orange light, but trust me, you want to. change the zip code and transition speed to an hour to be fully non-obtrusive.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
saber decided to send that message when he has the money, so we'll wait a couple days

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

here's that program I was talking about. it changes the luminescence and color of your screen as the day goes on so you don't have that terrible blue light meant for midday at night. it screws with your sleep cycle and eyes, and I've noticed since using it the past three days that I feel tired when I should and my eyes are basically amazing. looking at another screen with all that blue light hurts now.

it takes a day or so to get used to the orange light, but trust me, you want to. change the zip code and transition speed to an hour to be fully non-obtrusive.
Okay, I did it. But now what are the setting supposed to look like? I changed my zip code, is that all?

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I just went back and watched "The Health Inspectors." That video was so bad on more than one level.

Also, this is a witty name, however bad execution.

Bad form Peter, bad form. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dznTG3Qikz0&feature=related

edit*

Arby, my eyes already are accustomed to this F.lux program. It's pretty cool.

Also, care to summarize what all the drama is about in the smash community regarding pound 5? I ain't reading all that, but I can tell something's up.

Top Bottom