• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Arkansas Smashers Chat

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
If you don't hit anything you should also do the hold A method, but you do need to slow down the timing a bit to make up for not having the added hitlag. Holding A (or Z which also acts as an A input) on the 3rd hit until after you IASA out of the jab sequence will always be beneficial since rapid punches are triggered by comparing your total A input duration vs total time. The reason holding the 3rd input helps is because each A input duration is only determined on release, so if you never actually release the 3rd A input and IASA while still holding it that 3rd one doesn't get included in the total at all.

Gentlemans are made easier by keeping your total A input duration low (releasing the A button faster when doing the 1st and 2nd punches and holding the 3rd input to omit it), and your total time high (spacing one or more of the punches farther apart and hitting something which adds hitlag to the total time). As the total A input becomes shorter and/or more hitlag is added, the time between punches can be shorter while still getting the gentleman. When the total A input becomes longer and/or less or no hitlag is added you will need to space the punches out more.
thanks to this wondrously helpful magus post, I can now gentleman with ~95% accuracy. kind of sad that all I had to do was hit the first two A's faster :dizzy:

Yo$himan

No More Free Jumps!
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, United States of America
now for convenience, I record in mpeg2 (16:9 for youtube widescreen) and render in the same with sony vegas ("best" video settings). I believe 44.1 kHz audio is also preferred for youtube.
you can get the same quality when you render in Pinnacle Studio. Just look at my "rate my falcon" vid. It was all Pinnacle Studio.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I just won a 3of5 MM with will 3-0

my pichu vs. his sheik, peach, and falcon

I am posting this to motivate him to not lose to low tiers, and also to bring awareness of my pro minun. FEAR IT

pichu fair->utilt->grab->cg on falcon to edgeguard and death

it all combos XD

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I just won a 3of5 MM with will 3-0

my pichu vs. his sheik, peach, and falcon

I am posting this to motivate him to not lose to low tiers, and also to bring awareness of my pro minun. FEAR IT
I will MM you with my low tier Ganon vs your Higher Tier CF :x

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
I will MM you with my low tier Ganon vs your Higher Tier CF :x
I see what you are doing

testing the waters before abandoning ship

mmm... I am in a transitional phase right now, more focused on bettering some tech skill than really winning. maybe I could change it up for you, but if not let's keep the amount low :D

edit: I see what else you did there. low = lower

BunBun

Smash Master
Lol Arby, I love the Plusle & Minun Pichu. I used to use Pichu as a secondary.

Sadly CF is the easiest high - top tier matchup, and it's still difficult =(

Vts

Smash Champion
Guess who's back, back again, VTS with a grin.

now everyone report to the game floor
to the game floor,
to the game floor,

alright stop smashing time, come here newbies sit on that mat,
guess who's back with brand new crap and i don't mean crap as in chocolate facial, thats not a stab at hanako i go a little psycho, ooo ooo baby

time to wash and get ready, for my skill are too pro, Jack Hayes i hope your ready to go!

edit- my other accounts got banned lol

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I see what you are doing

testing the waters before abandoning ship

mmm... I am in a transitional phase right now, more focused on bettering some tech skill than really winning. maybe I could change it up for you, but if not let's keep the amount low :D

edit: I see what else you did there. low = lower
Tech skill is so overrated :x

I'm like the least technical person in Arkansas...

BunBun

Smash Master

to the game floor,
to the game floor,

guess who's back with brand new crap and i don't mean crap as in chocolate facial, thats not a stab at hanako i go a little psycho, ooo ooo baby

time to wash and get ready, for my skill are too pro, Jack Hayes i hope your ready to go!

ROFL to every part of this post.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Whatever, tech skill is very important. Also, I believe RavenKnight has you on the lease technical person in Arkansas.
Okay, maybe it's kinda important. But it's not as important as mindgames...I think.

I don't know, just play like me. Just jump around randomly and BAir. It's awesome I promise.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman

to the game floor,
to the game floor,

keep your marshall mathers out of our right and moral thread. devil worship, it is

Tech skill is so overrated :x

I'm like the least technical person in Arkansas...
Whatever, tech skill is very important. Also, I believe RavenKnight has you on the lease technical person in Arkansas.
there is nothing else to say. he still can't l-cancel

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Okay, maybe it's kinda important. But it's not as important as mindgames...I think.
"mindgames" and tech skill are neither in opposition nor apposition; tech skill just opens up more doors whereby you can mindgame and punish your opponent. they're on completely different planes as far as categorizing this game is concerned.

I don't know, just play like me. Just jump around randomly and BAir. It's awesome I promise.
I can't tell if this is more vice modesty or you actually trying to undermine your own (character's) playstyle. either way, you know every character could be played that way. a fox that isn't bair'ing could probably better spend its time bair'ing. but no one plays like that except in pressure situations because this community doesn't have that mindset. anyway, I'm going to stop before I go off on some unnecessary tangent.

point is, you are falsely representing your ganon and, although ganons are indeed best at falsely representing (holes in their defense), it should still be a federal offense.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
"mindgames" and tech skill are neither in opposition nor apposition; tech skill just opens up more doors whereby you can mindgame and punish your opponent. they're on completely different planes as far as categorizing this game is concerned.

I can't tell if this is more vice modesty or you actually trying to undermine your own (character's) playstyle. either way, you know every character could be played that way. a fox that isn't bair'ing could probably better spend its time bair'ing. but no one plays like that except in pressure situations because this community doesn't have that mindset. anyway, I'm going to stop before I go off on some unnecessary tangent.

point is, you are falsely representing your ganon and, although ganons are indeed best at falsely representing (holes in their defense), it should still be a federal offense.
I don't even understand any of that. You're really smart Arby. Really, really smart.

All I got was "needs more BAir."

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
teams... iirc, yoshiman and I got curb-stomped.

edit

G. Vice said:
I don't even understand any of that. You're really smart Arby. Really, really smart.

All I got was "needs more BAir."
I'm not the one going into medical school. actually, I'm the one throwing away my scholarships due to apathy about my future. who's really smart?

:rolleyes:

and the health inspector is like 90% iori. so far I've only gone through the stuff he got with his DVDs, but I imagine you'd want to save most of the rest for your own video. i'll need a lot of input on that too (how you want it structured, etc.)

G. Vice

Smash Lord
teams... iirc, yoshiman and I got curb-stomped.

edit

I'm not the one going into medical school. actually, I'm the one throwing away my scholarships due to apathy about my future. who's really smart?

:rolleyes:

and the health inspector is like 90% iori. so far I've only gone through the stuff he got with his DVDs, but I imagine you'd want to save most of the rest for your own video. i'll need a lot of input on that too (how you want it structured, etc.)
Aighttt sounds cool. I can try to come by and record next week so you'll have more to mess around with for my vid.

The March Hare

Smash Cadet
Arguable, I rely on techskill less than ravenknight does. Peach is a heavily technical character and Raven probably has more tech skill with that one character than any of my characters. As a sheik I rely more on a knowledge of the game and spacing than any sort of 'tech skill.' My fox is getting technical, but even there I'm still more of a spacing creature than anything else. I'd probably name myself the least technical am-pro in arkansas. And still better than you and Raven.

thegreatkazoo

Smash Master

to the game floor,
to the game floor,

I approve of this post.

We need to get some of you AR people to GA one of these days.

Sucks that WABA is essentially no longer though. :(

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Arguable, I rely on techskill less than ravenknight does. Peach is a heavily technical character and Raven probably has more tech skill with that one character than any of my characters. As a sheik I rely more on a knowledge of the game and spacing than any sort of 'tech skill.' My fox is getting technical, but even there I'm still more of a spacing creature than anything else. I'd probably name myself the least technical am-pro in arkansas. And still better than you and Raven.
you shffl and dash out of it far more consistently than jason, who is probably around a success rate of 3%. i have not seen anything out of his peach which betters that.

aka you don't know what tech skill actually is

Or, you can come here. I don't know why everyone expects us to come to them.
BECAUSE WE'RE ARKANSAS

G. Vice

Smash Lord
you shffl and dash out of it far more consistently than jason, who is probably around a success rate of 3%. i have not seen anything out of his peach which betters that.

BECAUSE WE'RE ARKANSAS
Silly yoshiman, no one comes to Arkansas.
Also, Arby what exactly is tech skill then? I think you got it, because I see your fox and its ridiculous. Teach me!

The March Hare

Smash Cadet

Quiet you. Messing up my arguments with your smarts.

I'm flattered.
Your doc's too pro to put on the same list as players such as us, Seif. :bee:

Your argument is based on one weekend. Maybe you should collect more data before you submit your results.
A little more than weekend. You've just never beaten me Will. :(

But then again, as always, you might be better than me now. We'll see next time we play.

arbustos

Smash Journeyman
Also, Arby what exactly is tech skill then? I think you got it, because I see your fox and its ridiculous. Teach me!
technical ability doesn't equal flashiness - that's only the less useful variant. it is about having as great a control of your character as possible so the only thing holding you back is 1) that character and 2) your mind. falcon is an easy reference for me, so tech skill would include: always landing the l-cancel and subsequent dash out; never misplacing the techchase/read, regardless of its accuracy (the fault there lies in either a bad decision on your part or, unfortunately for falcon, luck); dustless wavelands/dashes off the edge, out of shield, etc.; SDI, both on killing moves (knowing the correct angle) and in combos (SDI'ing falco's dair away from him so his shine-dair combo only extends for ~15%; SDI'ing other hits down and immediately teching, a la mango, so that instead of being comboed, you are already attacking them again; movement tricks for greater mobility (moonwalking, aforementioned wavelands, walljumps of various flavors); gentleman; pivots.

there's more, but the general idea is to not let that aspect (knowing the game) impede your play. the other two (knowing yourself and knowing the opponent) do enough of that already.

my fox has mediocre tech skill.

Top Bottom