• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Game Lineup Announced!

Cotton

Smash Rookie
If Nintendo really want to support the community they should away least not condemn PM. Project M if nothing else is a sign of how dedicated the community is to Smash and although it's a mod Nintendo could at least respect the community that made it. Furthermore, it's not as if Nintendo loses money from PM you still have to buy brawl to play it. I guess ultimately Nintendo see that it's a mod and feel the need to disassociate with it but I truly feel that if they at the very least accepted it, they don't need to support it, it would be a big show to the community.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
you guys took Melee and tried to shove it in brawl because it was not "melee enough" am I missing something?
Yes, you are. You fail to realize that we have Brawl players working with us (Reflex ring a bell?). Whilst the majority of the PM Dev team prefers Melee as a game, that hardly qualifies as elitism. We liked Melee better, we made a game that takes more inspiration from Melee.

It was never shoved down your throat, nor is anyone forcing you to play it. We made it for our sake and for the sake of anyone who prefers the faster combat style which includes the advanced techniques many enjoy. If we were elitists, we'd attempt to force you to play the game. We however are leaving it up to the players. On the other hand, taking offense to PM's existence could be considered a form of elitism as it's basically saying "I don"t like that other people play this way".

Brawl modding was the easiest, most efficient way to achieve this goal. I'm sorry to say this, but you are clearly not understanding the intent of Project M. If youw ant to talk about it privately, I can entertain you.

Last edited:

PillsBuryDopeBoy

Führer President King DopeLord The VI
3DS FC
3325-3900-7222
Even though I'm really salty about PM not being held during apex, this is going to be a very hype filled apex nonetheless.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
you guys took Melee and tried to shove it in brawl because it was not "melee enough" am I missing something?
Melee was before brawl, its never made sense to me when people say brawl was better. Brawl took elements of its predecessor out. From a pure gameplay perspective, brawl looks like it is earlier than 64. Its really simplified.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
just play the game you like bruh
if someone else likes a different game that's fine too
I can like my game you can like your game and we can coexist
we just have to cut out the elitist cancer and we can all have fun
because that is why we're here right?
to have fun?

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
This will not be good if Nintendo starts sponsoring tournaments; It is simply product placement. Also, the only reason people want to enter sm4sh is because It's new.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
This will not be good if Nintendo starts sponsoring tournaments; It is simply product placement. Also, the only reason people want to enter sm4sh is because It's new.
*facepalm* I know quite a few people interested in playing smash 4 competitively and it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that its "new".

Also, Nintendo sponsoring tournaments from here on out is not "product placement". They just want to ensure 4 gets the attention it deserves. Notice how the big N doesn't care if the other three games are at APEX. Those games are old and won't do much harm if any to 4's competitive scene.

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
*Also, Nintendo sponsoring tournaments from here on out is not "product placement". They just want to ensure 4 gets the attention it deserves. Notice how the big N doesn't care if the other three games are at APEX. Those games are old and won't do much harm if any to 4's competitive scene.
That's pretty much the definition of product placement.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
*facepalm* I know quite a few people interested in playing smash 4 competitively and it doesn't have anything to do with the fact that its "new".

Also, Nintendo sponsoring tournaments from here on out is not "product placement". They just want to ensure 4 gets the attention it deserves. Notice how the big N doesn't care if the other three games are at APEX. Those games are old and won't do much harm if any to 4's competitive scene.
Im pretty sure it being new is the big appeal right now, since that's the only thing anyone can comment as a fact.

And its all product placement and legal stuff, if Nintendo could get rid of the other games too it would. In fact if nintendo could get rid of the entire tournament scene they would. They cant though so now they are making the best of it.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
to have fun?
I actually like your mindset. Gaming's about having fun. The drama is not adding to that.

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
Im pretty sure it being new is the big appeal right now, since that's the only thing anyone can comment as a fact.

And its all product placement and legal stuff, if Nintendo could get rid of the other games too it would. In fact if nintendo could get rid of the entire tournament scene they would. They cant though so now they are making the best of it.
No they would not. Don't go starting drama for the sake of it please. :) Nintendo's been nothing but supportive of the competitive smash community since their lawyers now hilarious in hindsight blunder back at EVO 2013. They've even said they are intrigued by Project M. As for it not being part of Apex 2015's lineup, that's more due to the fact its (by legal definition) an illegal modification of Brawl and all it would take is one appearance at a major fighting game tournament and BAM, no more Project M!

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
to have fun?
Smashboards, the Internet, the general Smash community, the general gaming community, and world itself need more people like you.

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
Its sad that it only takes ONE game thats not even a game but a mod/hack of a game for people to lose support for something and throw threats
What is wrong with that? Is it the game I was most looking forward to at Apex and since it is not there I am less hype for the event. if smash 4 were not there many people would be less interested. What is wrong with this? The threats I do not agree with. Like it or not, Apex can host whatever games they want.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
No they would not. Don't go starting drama for the sake of it please. :) Nintendo's been nothing but supportive of the competitive smash community since their lawyers now hilarious in hindsight blunder back at EVO 2013. They've even said they are intrigued by Project M. As for it not being part of Apex 2015's lineup, that's more due to the fact its (by legal definition) an illegal modification of Brawl and all it would take is one appearance at a major fighting game tournament and BAM, no more Project M!
How was that drama? I said part of it was legal? I also said they were making the best of the situation (in their view) by giving the competitive scene attention. I doubt they want to though, its just that it wont go away. Just my view on it, not drama.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
What is wrong with that? Is it the game I was most looking forward to at Apex and since it is not there I am less hype for the event. if smash 4 were not there many people would be less interested. What is wrong with this? The threats I do not agree with. Like it or not, Apex can host whatever games they want.
But one ...hack shouldnt piss you off to the point you give up all together. thats not good. If Smash 4 wasnt there, there will still be people there for 64 and meele. Brawl, Im not sure about.

Black Mantis

Smash Hero
Exactly. Marvel 3 is looked down upon by old school Marvel players. Do you see them modding it to make the game more like Marvel 2? Same argument applies for Street Fighter 4 and 3rd strike too. Did the people who went into Project M really think that this was going to last forever and that the parent company wouldn't take action? This is not PC gaming where mods thrive.

Sleeplost

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sleeplost
A piece of copyright infringed software isn't allowed due to the fact that the initial creators of the software are supporting the tournament?

I THINK I SOLVED THIS MYSTERY, GANG!

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
PM in itself is just a giant manifestation of melee elitism, they literally took a game and and changed it so that it could play just like Melee, imo im kinda glad its being taken out of the spotlight
This is the best post in this whole topic.

Coming from someone who finds melee boring in general. (It was fun back in the day, now it's played out)

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
to have fun?
But I'm far to insecure to accept that people like different things than what I do.

devo_

Smash Apprentice
this might as well be the death sentence then, Nintendo is finally supporting the competitive scenes, they dont want to support tournaments that showcase a mod of one of their games. If it is at another major I would be surprised
They are NOT supporting the competitive scene. They are supporting Smash 4.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
Smash game or not PM has earned it's place in the community
Being excluded from Apex sucks
But at this point there's nothing we can do but move on

Mr. KoopaTurtle

Smash Lord
NNID
gamedude101
3DS FC
0344-9381-8375
Here's my quick thoughts.

Most likely, Nintendo is involved in PM's absence. I dont think it's right necessarily, but I could understand why.

PM is a great game. It combines the most notable elements of 64, Melee, and Brawl and creates a product that can be enjoyed by a wide variety of players.

I DEFINITELY don't think PM outshines Smash 4 as a whole, but it does outshine Smash 4 in several aspects.

So, with Nintendo wanting to promote their new game, they probably didn't want competition from a mod of one of their official games.

Whatever, what do I know?

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
I'm really disappointed in this game lineup. Without inclusion of Super Smash Bros. Crusade, I'm just not as hyped as I was hoping I'd be. Oh well, at least the four actual games are there, I guess that's something.
...[sarcasm!]

Newt Floss

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo wouldn't be dropping Smash 4 if they were to buy Project M.
There's nothing to buy. Nintendo owns the game. It doesn't matter if anything's been added through hacks or modifications. Nintendo owns it all. Capcom didn't buy the Rainbow Edition hack when they made Hyper Fighting.

None of this matters because Project M isn't worth their attention.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Here's some logic for you:

I never said I didn't like Brawl, I spent so many hours on that game fyi.

I just don't see a reason to go back to Brawl when Smash 4 is way better, and to quote, " what Brawl should've been".
I never said I didn't like Brawl either. What I was saying was that its significance as a competitive title has been exponentially decreasing post-Apex 2014 and has now reached the point where there's no reason to go back because of Smash 4 and PM. Mostly Smash 4 though, because Smash 4's playerbase is already shaping up to be more similar to Brawl's than PM's.

I was a competitive Brawl player myself. I enjoyed the game casually and competitively but there were aspects of the game I didn't like (if not outright hated) like the gratuitous chaingrabbing, which PM mostly and Smash 4 completely did away with.

Last edited:

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
No one is doubting how good PM is or how passionate the people involved in the modding but it still has no place in a tourny even if it has been there before. Shame on those that are saying it is melee elitism that crap has nothing to do with anything about PMs legitimacy.

Last edited:

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
you do realize Nintendo sponsored EVO right? That is kinda peak of the competitive scene
Them sponsoring EVO and everything before that was just to promote Smash 4. Even Regi's message at the beginning of Top 8 was just one big advertisement. Plus I'm pretty sure every single commercial during the Melee stream was for Mario Kart 8, so Nintendo probably just bought adspace. They didn't bring setups, the venue wasn't substantially nicer, nothing changed except now they have their names on the sponsor list.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
lol ppl think Nintendo is pushing for competitive. WHAT

They sponsored EVO to advertise their games, derp.

arcticfox8

Smash Champion
No one is doubting how good PM is or how passionate the people involved in the modding but it still has no place in a tourny even if it has been there before. Shame on those that are saying it is melee elitism that crap has nothing to do with anything about PMs legitimacy.
Why tho?
If the people want tourneys, let them have tourneys. Being a mod shouldn't change that.
Like I said, we're all here to have fun, and we shouldn't let trivial philosophies get in the way of that.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Why would there be a 3DS tournament if Wii U is already present? Idiots.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
You guys can have PM tournaments in your basements if you want...real tournaments will use real games.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
Why tho?
If the people want tourneys, let them have tourneys. Being a mod shouldn't change that.
Like I said, we're all here to have fun, and we shouldn't let trivial philosophies get in the way of that.
Because Project M isnt a full fledged game, its a hack but yes, to each his own

Last edited:

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
You guys can have PM tournaments in your basements if you want...real tournaments will use real games.
game- a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Seems like a real game to me.

Last edited:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
game- a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Seems like a real game to me.
But is it an actual game...? I'm pretty sure it is a Hack and not a real on the shelves game.

Top Bottom