• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Game Lineup Announced!

ShadyWolfe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShaDow94
3DS FC
1203-9253-9419
True, but I don't think anyone anticipated all 4 Smash games being played in one tournament. Personally I'm glad they all have a chance to shine.
I don't think anyone anticipated all four either I did expect Smash 4 and Melee and with Nintendo being serious about the competitive scene now there was no way for Project M to be in a such a big tournament like Apex

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
It's kind of funny that for the past while the debate has been "Melee or Smash 4 at APEX". Then, we get the best of both worlds and BOTH are present, but nobody's paying attention to that because "No Project M" gives people something else to complain about.

Oh well, life goes on I suppose.
That. . . was never the debate. APEX is a Smash series first and foremost, of course they're going to have 'everything'. There's no question they'd have both Melee and Smash 4.

DrizzyDrew

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-3772-7996-8482
why are people mad about project m? that just means people wont compete with that game, but that doesnt mean players cant casually play it? Are we forgetting smash wii u comes out this month? dont people want to pay more attention to that game? very weird

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
People can get over the absensce of PM. It's a great game but we have FOUR STINKING SMASH GAMES PRESENT. Get over yourselves. This is amazing! So hyped. I'm very glad that both melee and 4 made it. And brawl! And 64! Long live smash!
One of those four is Brawl though; a game that due to the existence of both PM and Smash 4, no-one gives a **** about.

Logsmash

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LogMash
That. . . was never the debate. APEX is a Smash series first and foremost, of course they're going to have 'everything'. There's no question they'd have both Melee and Smash 4.
Are you sure about that? Because I remember seeing at least one thread dedicated to "why Smash 4 doesn't deserve to have Melee's spot at APEX" and there were similar conversations being had throughout other threads. I guess people figured it would be either Melee and Project: M or Smash 4 and Project: M. So much for the power of prediction, eh?

Dust the Baptist

Weeaboos aren't people.
NNID
Mank210
3DS FC
2809-9541-0380
I think it's funny that people are already saying RIP PM, and Screw Brawl why no PM. PM will always be streamed at other tournaments and we don't even have PM 3.5 yet so it is for from dead. Also maybe PM wont be there because Nintendo is sponsoring Apex and that can only beter our community. And seriously Lets not talk trash about other smash titles this is Smashboards, not PMboards, not Meleeboards, not Brawlboards, and not even Samsh4boards. Some people here need to stop acting like spoiled spiteful children, and start acting like the accepting community that smash is known for.

Last edited:

Globe

I only care for waifus
I love Project M's idea and kudos to the Dev team, but if the competitive community wants the full support of Nintendo, PM has to be the thread that is cut. Main reason why Project M isn't in is because Nintendo will most likely sponsor APEX this year.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
I am very disappointed. I will only play Melee, and the PM side event (if they have it) However since PM won't be streamed I will not participate in any Smash 4 event at Apex. If there is no PM side event at all I may not even come.

To those who are cheering at PM's exclusion, I am saddened greatly by your lack of empathy and out right cruelty. Maybe Smash 4 won't be at EVO, how would you feel?

Since APEX is the first main tourney of the year it sets the stage and sets the precedent for all the tournies that follow. This means that if PM is not at APEX the probability of PM being at future tournies decreases.

I ask all TOs to promise that you will not let PM die just because APEX wants to kiss up to nintendo and is willing to sacrifice many potential attendees and viewers just for nintendo's sponsorship.

Zoa

Smash Ace
Well...****. The primary reason I got into training hard for competitive Smash was P:M, and to potentially attend APEX for P:M in the possible future. I really like the game play of it. Losing out on one community in Smash is a travesty. Nobody wins. I sure hope this changes for future APEX.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
The Wii U version has a lot more usable stages than Smash 3DS

edit: Smash 3DS has Battlefield, Final Destination/Omega Destination, Yoshi's Island Brawl, Prism Tower, Arena Ferox, Reset Bomb Forest, and Tomodachi Life while Smash Wii U has Battlefield/Miiverse, Big Battlefield, Final Destination/Omega Destination, Mushroom Kingdom U, Mario Circuit, Delfino Plaza Brawl, Luigi's Mansion Brawl, Wooly World, Congo Jungle N64, Skyloft, Halberd Brawl, Orbital Gate, Lylat Cruise Brawl, Kalos Pokemon League, Pokemon Stadium 2 Brawl, Town and City, Smashville Brawl, Duck Hunt, Wrecking Crew, Pilot Wings, Wuhu Island, and Windy Hill Zone and we still do not know all the stages in Smash U and even if some of these stages get banned there will still be a lot more stages in the Smash U stage list than the Smash 3DS stage list.

edit: scratch Mushroom Kingdom U off the list that Nabbit though
What I was saying is that I could really like a stage others might hate, I wasn't referring to competitive compatibility.

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
Just stopping by to wish good luck to the 5 people entering Brawl.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
P:M isn't a Smash game, it's just a hack of one, ofc I'm not saying "PM is dead", that's silly, people love it and I understand why.

But I'm happy that all the real smash games are featured.

My first post here seemed trollish, my bad.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Hopefully Smash4 gets the recognition it deserves! So nice to see all smash games at Apex, but why play brawl when you have Smash Wii U.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Hopefully Smash4 gets the recognition it deserves! So nice to see all smash games at Apex, but why play brawl when you have Smash Wii U.
Becuase some people actually like Brawl? Not to mention Brawl and Smash 4 are different beasts.

NiderQueen

Smash Cadet
NNID
YakiStrider2409
3DS FC
2681-0178-5926
Awwwwwww dissapointment. :( i was really excited to see 3DS in here
The Apex 2015 line-up has been announced! Thrills, chills, and excitement are bound to spread all around with four Smash games, four other fighting games, and even Pokemon! Apex 2015 will be the first international level tournament to feature all four of the main Smash titles at a single event. Apex 2014 had over 1,400 unique Smashers attend and in 2015 it looks to easily surpass that number as the premier, largest Super Smash Brothers tournament.

Apex 2015 Game List
  • Super Smash Bros. 64
  • Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
  • Pokemon Omega Ruby / Alpha Sapphire
  • Ultra Street Fighter IV
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
  • Killer Instinct
  • Guilty Gear XRD
There are a few other pieces that make this years' Apex event more exciting than usual. For starters, Twitch is contributing over $14,000 towards the Apex World Circuit! Second, this is the first time in a long while that a new Smash game is appearing at Apex! This will also the first time that Pokemon Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire and Guilty Gear XRD will be at the event - though Pokemon was present with Pokemon X/Y in 2014. Speaking of Apex 2014, check out the full results from Apex 2014 here!

Apex 2015 Qualifier List
  • Tipped Off 10 (September 20-21, 2014)
  • Justice 4 (October 11, 2014)
  • Do You Fox Wit It? (November 15-16, 2014)
  • BUST (November 22, 2014)
  • KTAR XI (November 22, 2014)
  • The Come Up (December 6-7, 2014)
  • The Smash Academy (December 13, 2014)
  • Pacific Northwest Regional (December 20-21, 2014)
  • Forte 2 (December 20-21, 2014)
  • Sumabato Melee #13 (December 27-28, 2014)
  • B.E.A.S.T 5 (January 9-11, 2015)
  • SWEET Prologue (January 10, 2015)
  • Super Smash Sundays (TBD)
The final prize pool for the main event will be determined by the number of entrants and any money that potential sponsors throw into a given games pot. Last year, over $20,000 was distributed to the victors of the main Smash titles.

Apex 2015 will be held at the Clarion Hotel Empire Meadowlands Hotel in Secaucus, New Jersey, from January 30th through February 1st, 2015.

Project M, Super Smash Brothers for 3DS Absent

Despite the inclusion of four Super Smash Brothers titles, this year's game lineup is not without controversy. Noticably absent from the lineup is Super Smash Brothers for 3DS and Project M. Super Smash Brothers for 3DS is likely being excluded as it will largely be similar to Super Smash Brothers for Wii U. There are also concerns for the 3DS version of Smash when more than a handful of units are used in a small space as many tournaments have reported signal interference, frame drops, and lag.

The absence of Project M, one of the official titles at Apex 2014 with over 380 entrants, has lead to a firestorm of controversy on Twitter, Facebook, and other social media channels. EsportsHeaven even wrote a editorial discussing the issue in the wake of the game announcement. Center to the discussion is whether the absence of the title is a stipulation of the contract with Twitch or with a potential contract with Nintendo of America. A recap of the situation can be found here.

Despite the controversy, Apex 2015 looks to have a fantastic line-up with all of the main Super Smash Brothers titles. The event looks to continue to set attendence records and maintain the status as the largest Super Smash Brothers tournament of the year and second largest fighting game tournament of the year. More information is available on their website and Twitter.

So, are you going to Apex 2015? Going to watch the streams at least? What do you think of the game lineup? Let us know in the comments below! When doing so, please remember to respect your fellow poster, Smasher, the Apex series, and any and everyone in-between!

Thethirdkoopa is a Game Producer, Gamer, and Collector who loves Smash and composing Music! His love of Smash with reading the events unveiling lead to him staying up till 2:30 AM last night. Check his Twitter out at @Thirdkoopa - Check out @Progducto @TheDerrit and @Warchamp7 on Twitter as well.

Last edited:
NNID
aiw1198
I don't understand people saying that PM's absense here is because of Nintendo sponsoring. Wasn't Nintendo sponsoring EVO2014 which had PM?

erasmorpheous

Smash Cadet
Is there a sarcastic version of #thankyouNintendo we can do? Whether you like PM or not, this super bummed out a lloooot of people. Then there were some who even bought plane tickets or hotels just to be let down like this. To people laughing at pm players or glad this happened, I find it really strange of you to laugh at other people being let down.

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964
Becuase some people actually like Brawl? Not to mention Brawl and Smash 4 are different beasts.
Yea but smash4 is so much better then brawl, that I don't see a reason to go back. Faster gameplay, more combos(other than chaingrabs), no TRIPPING! I just hope smash4 has a bigger competitive scene than Brawl, that is all.

Last edited:

Curlz

Smash Lord
My only question to this is if double Meta Knight is legal in vBrawl doubles. Where are the rules?

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Well Project M is a mod, as awesome as it is. So it doesn't surprise me that it's not appearing at Apex 2015. And the 3DS versions seems to have been replaced by the Wii U version, which I can understand as well.

At least we got four different Smash tournaments to look forward to!

Last edited:

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Having Nintendo sponsor an event does not help Melee. It ONLY helps Smash 4. Nintendo does not want to see Melee succeed, that won't help them. They only want to see Smash 4 succeed, in fact if Melee does better than Smash 4 it looks bad for them, so they have an incentive to not want Melee to do well.

Dropping PM in order to have Nintendo sponsorship is the same as saying, the only game anyone should care about is Smash 4. I'm sorry but I can not support that mindset. I can not enter Smash 4 tournaments that Project M is not an event at.

Jerm

U Feelin' It?
NNID
Jermalie0
3DS FC
4940-5666-9945
I'm actually legit considering saving up money to fly to Apex. What is the Apex 2015 Qualifier list? Do you need to go to one of those to sign up for Apex? Not sure how the whole thing works.

Vigilante

Smash Lord
My interest in Apex is now pretty much nullified. Mind you, PM fans, don't freak out over it either. If Nintendo is sponsoring the event, making a scene that reflects negatively on Nintendo is not to our advantage. We'd like to co-exist with them.

I'm very dissapointed in Apex's decision, ad if you want to share your grievances here, go ahead, but make sure to stay civil my friends.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Yea but smash4 is so much better then brawl, that I don't see a reason to go back. Faster gameplay, more combos(other than chaingrabs), no TRIPPING! I just hope smash4 has a bigger competitive scene than Brawl, that is all.
I'm not against smash 4 having a competitive scene (cause I'm good at the game) but you're basically saying Smash 4 should replace Brawl? Then explain to me why Smash 64 is also there alongside Melee and Smash 4? Every smash game has its own competitive scene, people will still play Brawl competitively even though Smash 4 exists.

(Also I never understood peoples total anger at tripping. I only experienced it twice, and I played the crap out of that game... Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.)

Last edited:

Gamingboy

Smash Lord
It's sad to see Project M go, even though I never played it. Also a bummer the 3DS won't be there, although I can see the reasons why.

Still, four gens of Smash should be fun to watch on stream and I bet the people who will be there will have even more fun.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
It surprises me how many people watch/go to Apex primarily or only for P:M.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Looking forward to the SSBM and Smash Wii U segments, but mostly looking forward to seeing some high-level Smash 64 play.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'm not against smash 4 having a competitive scene (cause I'm good at the game) but you're basically saying Smash 4 should replace it? Then explain to me why Smash 64 is also there alongside Melee and Smash 4? Every smash game has its own competitive scene, people will still play Brawl competitively even though Smash 4 exists.

(Also I never understood peoples total anger at tripping. I only experienced it twice, and I played the crap out of that game... Guess I'm one of the lucky ones.)
Smash 4 is basically an upgrade to Brawl. The general feels of the two games are so close that I also can't see much of reason to keep Brawl alive when Smash 4 exists, especially since Smash 4 fixed some of the really dumb stuff in Brawl.

I would be surprised if Brawl broke triple digits for Apex this year tbh. Smash 4 is just a better version of the game.

The engines for 64 and Melee are extremely different from Brawl and Smash 4, and that's why both of those games are still alive today. As far as the competitive scene goes, they are both completely different from Smash 4 and should all be included. The same can't be said for Brawl.

Anyway, it's sad news that P:M isn't going to be at Apex. The game has garnered significant support and a community of its own and it deserves the main stage just as much as any of the other games.

That being said, I'm not in Strife's and the Apex staff's shoes. It may have been the best decision for them.

Top Bottom