• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2015 Game Lineup Announced!

shapular

Smash Ace
Warning Received
To all the PM-only players: you aren't real Smashers. Nobody will miss you if you don't go to Apex or other tournaments or stop playing altogether.

Just stopping by to wish good luck to the 5 people entering Brawl.
Still 5 more than PM. :troll:

And Brawl is still pretty much guaranteed to have a lot more entrants than 64.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
Smash 4 is basically an upgrade to Brawl. The general feels of the two games are so close that I also can't see much of reason to keep Brawl alive when Smash 4 exists, especially since Smash 4 fixed some of the really dumb stuff in Brawl.

I would be surprised if Brawl broke triple digits for Apex this year tbh. Smash 4 is just a better version of the game.

The engines for 64 and Melee are extremely different from Brawl and Smash 4, and that's why both of those games are still alive today. As far as the competitive scene goes, they are both completely different from Smash 4 and should all be included. The same can't be said for Brawl.

Anyway, it's sad news that P:M isn't going to be at Apex. The game has garnered significant support and a community of its own and it deserves the main stage just as much as any of the other games.

That being said, I'm not in Strife's and the Apex staff's shoes. It may have been the best decision for them.
Smash 4 is not really an upgrade to Brawl. Technically, ever smash game is an Upgrade of the previous game in the series. Smash 4 is better then Brawl, yes, but Brawl's feel is still way different. The only character that I played that felt like their Brawl counter-part is Samus. Each Smash game is different in some way that sets it apart from the last, and like I said before, people are still going to play Brawl Competitively because they might not like something in Smash 4 or for whatever their own reason.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I know some people are upset about Brawl being in, but for those who aren't, I'm looking forward to seeing you at its registration at Apex. :)

BSP

Smash Legend
Smash 4 is not really an upgrade to Brawl. Technically, ever smash game is an Upgrade of the previous game in the series. Smash 4 is better then Brawl, yes, but Brawl's feel is still way different. The only character that I played that felt like their Brawl counter-part is Samus. Each Smash game is different in some way that sets it apart from the last, and like I said before, people are still going to play Brawl Competitively because they might not like something in Smash 4 or for whatever their own reason.
I disagree, but I don't want to clutter up this topic.

If people do still play Brawl, I doubt it's going to be very big. Maybe that's just me though.

Zoa

Smash Ace
To all the PM-only players: you aren't real Smashers. Nobody will miss you if you don't go to Apex or other tournaments or stop playing altogether.

This just comes off as flat out rude and unnecessary. I'm a P:M only player right now because it's been far too long since I've played a Smash title by Sakurai. I've adapted to P:M quite well and thoroughly enjoy it despite being a mod.

How exactly does being a P:M only exclusive player even exclude me from being a "real Smasher"? What does it even mean? Nothing.

I play Smash. Whether it be a mod or game directly by Nintendo. They all use a Smash game at the base. Someone telling me I'm not a "real Smasher", after all the hours I've played other Smash games in the past, and all the hours I've put into P:M is a false assumption and claim.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
so many of these people in the comment section are jerks like everyone complains brawls in but not pm.
i for one like to watch high level brawl and would be upset if pm took its place. but in reality they both shoulda been in.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303

Rude as **** tbh

I've played every Smash game, and I still do, but the only Smash game I have put enough time into to warrant spending big dosh and flying to another state (Besides Brawl, which I find dull compared to the other Smash games but am rather skilled at) is Project M.

Apex lost my attendance with this decision. Do they care about one man's $30? Probably not. Do they care about the entirety of PM's attendance? Again, probably not. Smash 4 will probably mirror early major Brawl tournament numbers, and, combined with Brawl's attendance, will definitely make up for the lost PM profit. But it's a damn shame looking to the future.

Last edited:

marco-polo

Smash Rookie
I do not get it why people are so angry that PM is out of Apex just because Nintendo is supporting it. With Nintendo, the whole Smash community could grow larger than it ever was. Also Nintendo does not want to get rid of PM, they just probably do not want to support a mod (which is logical). If they really want to get rid of PM, they would had given C&D order to the devs a long time ago. Beside I am sure other major tournaments and locals would still have P:M. Also P:M would never die as long the Devs continue to work on it and people still play it

Last edited:

The Soap

Smash Apprentice
Warning Received
durr hurr project m isn't a real smash game have fun with ur ****ty hack rip in pieces pm get rekt

Last edited:

Satan-

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3969-6402-0771
I do not get it why people are so angry that PM is out of Apex just because Nintendo is supporting it. With Nintendo, the whole Smash community could grow larger than it ever was. Also Nintendo does not want to get rid of PM, they just probably do not want to support a mod (which is logical). If they really want to get rid of PM, they would had given C&D order to the devs a long time ago. Beside I am sure other major tournaments and locals would still have P:M. Also P:M would never die as long the Devs continue to work on it and people still play it
What's there not to get? Imagine if Melee or Sm4sh weren't at Apex. You'd probably be upset too. Albeit the way some extremists vented their anger was highly uncalled for.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
Well PM isn't a real Smash game anyway...so it can be excluded, I don't see the reason for all the butthurt, you got all the real games right here.

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
It's nice to see Smash 64 and Brawl get some love even if they don't have as vocal fan base as Melee or the relevancy of 4. It's nice to know that these games don't have to die just because a new game has come along. I know a lot of Melee fans didn't move over to Brawl when it came out, and I think there will be Brawl faithfuls that do the same with Smash 4.

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Oh since you don't like it no-one can, got it.

Here's some logic for you:
Yea but smash4 is so much better then brawl, that I don't see a reason to go back.
Smash 4 is basically an upgrade to Brawl. The general feels of the two games are so close that I also can't see much of reason to keep Brawl alive when Smash 4 exists, especially since Smash 4 fixed some of the really dumb stuff in Brawl.

I would be surprised if Brawl broke triple digits for Apex this year tbh. Smash 4 is just a better version of the game.
Smash 4 is what Brawl should have been.

Chilex

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Chilex
I have nothing against Project M but IMO people are overreacting way too much.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
Having no PM at Apex is a big deal for its community. Having it featured at Apex 2014 was a huge boon to its popularity, with over 390 entrants. But it not being featured at Apex, which for the past couple years has been considered the quintessential Smash tourney, is a sort of slap to the face. There was no way PM was getting into MLG or EVO, so it's only big tourneys were Apex and CEO, but now that is no longer the case. While it is not a killing blow, it is a blow nonetheless.

This most likely has something to do with Nintendo, and it's honestly a shame that this is the case. I have always believed that Smash does not need the support of Nintendo to survive, as we have done it for so long already, but now that they are getting involved, we have to exclude a part of our community. Having money is nice, but it's not money that keeps Smash alive it is the players. Let's just hope we don't forget that.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice

Apex Brawl Singles 2014 --> 370 entrants
Apex PM Singles 2014 --> 382 entrants

The fact that you don't accept people as "Smashers" because they play a game they like says more about your identity as a Smasher (or as a decent human being), more than their fandom of a game mod says about theirs.

shapular

Smash Ace
What does a Smasher mean to you?
I'm curious.
A Smasher is someone who plays Smash. PM is not Smash. It's a mod of Smash. If you'd rather play PM than one of the four Smash games, then you must just not like Smash that much, and if that's the case I don't know why you should care about not being a real Smasher.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
Well PM isn't a real Smash game anyway...so it can be excluded, I don't see the reason for all the butthurt, you got all the real games right here.
Comments like this are exactly why our community can't have nice things. Would you say the same thing to a PMBR member who has put in countless hours into redesigning a game with no possibility of personal financial gain? Or to the community it has amassed, that has created its own unique meta? These comments are just as bad as when overzealous Melee players comment on Brawl.

Will-O-Wisp

Smash Apprentice
A Smasher is someone who plays Smash. PM is not Smash. It's a mod of Smash. If you'd rather play PM than one of the four Smash games, then you must just not like Smash that much, and if that's the case I don't know why you should care about not being a real Smasher.
So you're saying a game that plays the same as Smash, has the same characters as Smash, and shares many of its community members with other Smash games, is not a Smash game? Is the 20XX hack pack not Melee then, or what about people with modded Brawl skins/music? Everything about PM on both fundamental and superficial levels is Smash. The PMBR took Melee mechanics (Smash) and mixed them with Brawl's engine and graphics (Smash). By your logic Smash + Smash =/= Smash?

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I didn't try to play PM competitively and never was super interested in it, I won't lie about that and my issues with the game. I did enter as pot filler and somehow placed higher than I did in Melee out of respect for my community and did try my best when I did enter.

I'm sorry to see your game not at APEX, I hope a solution to this can be found.

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand people saying that PM's absense here is because of Nintendo sponsoring. Wasn't Nintendo sponsoring EVO2014 which had PM?
I'm pretty sure the PM tournament at EVO was an unofficial side tournament, so that doesn't really apply... I would not be surprised if Nintendo sponsorship was the main issue, though I don't know for sure that's the case.

elitex12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Elite X
3DS FC
5429-8241-5452
So you're saying a game that plays the same as Smash, has the same characters as Smash, and shares many of its community members with other Smash games, is not a Smash game? Is the 20XX hack pack not Melee then, or what about people with modded Brawl skins/music? Everything about PM on both fundamental and superficial levels is Smash. The PMBR took Melee mechanics (Smash) and mixed them with Brawl's engine and graphics (Smash). By your logic Smash + Smash =/= Smash?
I wouldn't consider Project M a REAL Smash game... Its still smash though, therefore making whoever plays it, a smasher the same as you and me.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Having Nintendo sponsor an event does not help Melee. It ONLY helps Smash 4. Nintendo does not want to see Melee succeed, that won't help them. They only want to see Smash 4 succeed, in fact if Melee does better than Smash 4 it looks bad for them, so they have an incentive to not want Melee to do well.

Dropping PM in order to have Nintendo sponsorship is the same as saying, the only game anyone should care about is Smash 4. I'm sorry but I can not support that mindset. I can not enter Smash 4 tournaments that Project M is not an event at.
Where does an idea like this come from?

They obviously care a lot more about the smash community more than ever. Even Treehouse said they liked PM but said Nintendo could never officially support it.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Obviously this doesn't mean PM is dead or anything but its still a really ****ty loss :(
What do the PMDT feel about this? I'm curious, even though I don't play PM competitively, but it is very fun to watch at top level play.
I think they're just disappointed

ToadsterOven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ToadsterOven
3DS FC
3711-6996-2029
No PM, no Apex for me.
Ok cool. Your opinion man.

Guys, you gotta realize that Project M is a mod. I'm pretty sure Nintendo has something to do with Project M not being on the list. Most likely because it's a mod.
Agreed. PM will still be allowed at lesser events or big community run tournaments like Big House, but it makes lots of sense why we won't be seeing PM at Apex and presumably MLG and Evo in addition. Nintendo can't have what classifies (legally speaking) as an illegal modification of one of their games running around on the same professional gaming stage as 3DS/Wii U. That would be a slap in Sakurai and Namco's faces and PM's mere presence would probably be enough for Nintendo's lawyers to force the PM dev team into shutting down the mod for good. No one wants that for obvious reasons. ;)

A little bummed about 3DS, don't care about PM.

Either way with a new Smash game, with it's potentially huge stage list and a completely new metagame, this year is looking to bring the most hype yet.
I'm guessing the 3DS was barred from inclusion due to

1. its control scheme (NOTHING beats having a C-stick to help perform easy aerials though the new 3DS will thankfully have a C-stick of its own.)

2. Streaming difficulties. (Console games are relatively easy to stream at large tournaments. Handhelds are possible, but are generally considered to be more trouble than they are worth by most)

PM as stated above and in my post was probably barred from inclusion due to APEX (and Nintendo themselves) wanting to avoid the obvious legal shenanigans that would come with streaming an illegal modification of Brawl.

Melee and 64 are baller. Trash 4 and smash bros bawls are much less amazing.
Say what you will about Brawl, but you do realize several notable competitive players who are now PM and 4 players cut their teeth with Brawl such as ZeR0 (of smash 4 invitational and PM fame) right?

4 is the competitive game Brawl should have been from many a player's viewpoints. Calling it trash is err...."tactless" of you :)

Chaoseater

Smash Rookie
Okay, Ive been reading through all these comments and all this talk about Project M not being Smash and its players not being Smashers is complete and utter bull****. As someone who has played Smash since its beginnings, I am not truly biased or anything of the sort.

For me, Project M is the only Smash I play anymore, basically because it revived the Smash in me. While not official, it "upgraded" Brawl's weak points and threw in some amazing new features. Honestly, anyone who says that PM isn't Smash has no idea what they are talking about.

Furthermore, I don't think it just revived the Smash in me, but in most of the community as well. How many people would wait for Turbo or Art Tuesdays? Speculating about new characters, new costumes? It was like waiting till 3 AM for the Brawl update all over again. Seriously, PM could not have come out at any better time. Brawl was weak and a few years old, and the community needed something to buy time until Smash 4.

And I, for one, am saddened that it is not being featured this year ta Apex. That was the main reason I wanted to go, because honestly, it is the best Smash in my opinion, even if it isn't official. And I do believe that Nintendo didn't want it at the tournament, which if they are sponsoring it, is fair, but at the same time, it cuts the community in half. Does Nintendo support the competitive scene? Because I really dont think they ever intended for Melee to be as intense as it was and then dropped the ball with Brawl. Smash 4 Wii U...time will tell.

But not having PM at Apex is disappointing because there are a ton of people who play it competitively, myself included. Will this be the end of PM? Probably not, with 3.5 right around the corner, but this is definitely a deafening blow that (seems like) Nintendo doesn't want to sponsor a tournament and include the game that brought a lot of life back into the community (both hype-wise and competitively) after Brawl was released.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Warning Received
Also lol, do you people really think Nintendo gives a **** about Melee any more? They are sponsoring to support Smash 4 and thats it, if your tournament doesnt have Smash 4 they don't care.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Also lol, do you people really think Nintendo gives a **** about Melee any more? They are sponsoring to support Smash 4 and thats it, if your tournament doesnt have Smash 4 they don't care.
Evo....was sponsored.

they do care to some degree.

Boomhound

Smash Apprentice
I think this will be a good opportunity to see what smash 4 has to offer in terms of spectating value- s'been quite boring up til now. Not gonna have my support if I've to wait a thousand years for 'it's metagame to develop' if it means perfectly good games like P:M lose slots at tournaments.
Also, Project M isn't dead.. In fact if Smash 4 proves to be a poor tournament game P:M will regain popularity and replace it- ..unless TO's get comfy with Nintendo support...

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964

Smash 4 is what Brawl should have been.

I never said I didn't like Brawl, I spent so many hours on that game fyi.

I just don't see a reason to go back to Brawl when Smash 4 is way better, and to quote, " what Brawl should've been".

ChrisP4

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christian.P4
3DS FC
5284-1444-6964

The engines for 64 and Melee are extremely different from Brawl and Smash 4, and that's why both of those games are still alive today. As far as the competitive scene goes, they are both completely different from Smash 4 and should all be included. The same can't be said for Brawl.

Anyway, it's sad news that P:M isn't going to be at Apex. The game has garnered significant support and a community of its own and it deserves the main stage just as much as any of the other games.

That being said, I'm not in Strife's and the Apex staff's shoes. It may have been the best decision for them.

Took the words straight outta my mouth.

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
Now that Smash 4 is out Nintendo will NEVER sponsor an event that smash 4 is not at. Sponsoring EVO was just an excuse for them to say: "Okay, time to move on from Melee." and advertise Smash 4. No one remembers Reggie's Evo speech?

Honestly I knew the whole #OneUnit was just talk. When it comes to Brawl and Smash 4 it's always "We helped you Melee elitists get on the Evo stage in 2013 this is one unit so you better support smash 4." Yet with PM its "Forget those mod lovers, they aren't real smashers, we got Nintendo sponsorship now, we don't need those guys."

Top Bottom