• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Smash 64 January 11-13th, 2013 Singles Bracket is now up

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
King Funk said he'd make a thread but he never did. Guessing those dudes didn't want to/couldn't come.

Isai made a post a few pages back, looks like everyone ignored it seeing how you guys are suddenly talking about this (cept for that one person wanting to translate for that one dude or somethin').

TANK64

Smash Lord
Easy money.

Also, I should mention that I will smack talk heavily in the coming weeks. It's not because I don't love you all (I do), I just want people to be as excited for this apex as I am.
Alright. FAIR enough =) .

Although, I think it'll be exhausting smack talking from this many weeks out but I'll try my best to stay interested lol.

Ok, here I go:

HanSolo, Man that guy seems really good!

He should be a tough fight.

I mean judging by his results against good players...

Oh wait... lol

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Alright. FAIR enough =) .

Although, I think it'll be exhausting smack talking from this many weeks out but I'll try my best to stay interested lol.

Ok, here I go:

HanSolo, Man that guy seems really good!

He should be a tough fight.

I mean judging by his results against good players...

Oh wait... lol
:thumbs up:

SheerMadness

Smash Master
Damn calm down noobs. There's still another 14 days to register. People are still working out their travel plans and what not.

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
Battlecow, I'll take that MM now. I'll modify it to be best of 5 on DL only.

Current Money Matches:

Nintendude
firo
ballin4life
boom
possibly battlecow

Tank?

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
ill take the fox ditto mm on dl

ALSO: i wana have a side small tourney with NO ITEMS, FOX ONLY, on FINAL DESTINATION

ssb64 of course

oooh can't wait for OC console TEAMS...ooooyeeeeaaah

what's cool too is INVISIBLE STAGE TEAMS, there's less lag playing like that and all you need is a gameshark :)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Official ruleset is posted: http://www.apex-series.com/rules/rules-64/

There is no timer rule whatsoever.
Congo / Dreamland / Hyrule stage striking for game 1.
Another modified version of DSR: you can't pick a stage you won on that you picked. Basically it's DSR except it doesn't apply to the first stage. It's designed to take less weight off of game 1 in the situation where one player always CPs Dreamland and wins and the other player always CPs Hyrule and wins, as now another stage has to be played on.

Also, we will be paying out full top-8 this time. There will be consolation matches to break 5th and 7th place ties.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Who wants to MM me or Kefit.

Best of 5 for $5.

let me know :)

Official ruleset is posted: http://www.apex-series.com/rules/rules-64/

There is no timer rule whatsoever.
Congo / Dreamland / Hyrule stage striking for game 1.
Another modified version of DSR: you can't pick a stage you won on that you picked. Basically it's DSR except it doesn't apply to the first stage. It's designed to take less weight off of game 1 in the situation where one player always CPs Dreamland and wins and the other player always CPs Hyrule and wins, as now another stage has to be played on.

Also, we will be paying out full top-8 this time. There will be consolation matches to break 5th and 7th place ties.
what is the % from 1st to 8th listed in order that they would get?

clubbadubba

Smash Master
'Alternate or custom controllers such as a keyboard or a Hori Mini Pad are allowed.'

somebody get the hell on this
lol keyboards in a console tourney. Well they probably won't be there this year, but hey if they are, at least then I won't mind missing the tourney as much.

seriously, keyboards on console lololololololololol

LLDL

Smash Hero
lol keyboards in a console tourney. Well they probably won't be there this year, but hey if they are, at least then I won't mind missing the tourney as much.

seriously, keyboards on console lololololololololol
The don't exist yet. I hit up raphnet about them though ;)

cmu6eh

Banned via Warnings
How are hori mini pads considered alternate controllers when they have the official Nintendo seal? It's as valid as any other official 3rd party N64 accessory that is licensed by Nintendo, like the game Super Smash Bros.

Edit:
lol keyboards in a console tourney.
I'm pretty sure some consoles have games that use keyboards. I think Phantasy Star Online for dreamcast was one of them.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
I wouldn't mind if after apex, we scrapped the current ruleset completely, and made a new one without the influence of past/current melee/brawl rulesets. Not that the current ruleset is bad by any means, I just think we do some things simply because other people do them, even though they were probably created by 15/16 yr olds back circa 2004.

@cmu6eh: When I say console on here, I am specifically referring to ssb64 on console. Which is a game that does not have a keyboard adapter for console with an official Nintendo seal

Battlecow

Play to Win
I mean I don't really like melee influence either, but what would you do differently?

BY THE WAY guys now that I'm done with finals I finally had the time to figure out how to record a voiceover and download a yt vid and STUFF (wasn't that hard actually) so I got a battlecow commentary sample.

I just sort of sat down and did it, so IDK if I should PM alex strife with it or try to HONE MY CRAFT a little first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ibyycJGsZU

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Relax guys nobody's gonna break anything by using a keyboard lol
The point of console ssb64 is to play with your opponent sitting next to you without any frame delay.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
^^Nah fake talk.

The biggest thing I can think of is that the counterpick system doesn't make sense, at least not to me. To me, choice of stage is like getting home field advantage in sports. But in sports, they split up home field advantage evenly, so say a bo7 would be 2/3/2 or 2/2/1/1/1 alternation of who has home field for each game. Why don't we do it the same way? We could use seeding to determine who gets the extra stage choice, OR since we lack accurate seeding across the board, we could just always have the first stage be neutral (or striking system, I do like that).

That and the "advanced slob picks" or whatever where the loser ALWAYS gets to counterpick the winners character. That should also be rotated in a 2/2/1/1/1 format just like stage selection. I just don't understand why advantages are given to the loser, and the last time I brought it up I don't think anyone answered me...

Battlecow

Play to Win
well the way counterpicks usually work out (that i've seen) is neutral-ish stage->trade off homecourt advantage, with the guy who won on the neutral-ish stage winning the set if both people win. So very fair.

this new one is a little odd to me, I'm not gonna defend it

loser having advantage means we're testing skill as much as possible, because that way if you can win in one circumstance but not the other you'll win a portion of the games but not all

whereas with winner picks it's dumb because the loser has to climb back out of a huge hole and you'll have a bunch of 3-0's which is suboptimal

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ibyycJGsZU tips guyz?

jel I'll MM you

clubbadubba

Smash Master
If you lose, you should climb back out of a hole... there is a clear model for this in pro sports that use series.

loser having advantage means we are testing the skill of whoever just won more than we are the loser, which we should never do in a COMPETITIVE environment. If I win game 1, my opponent gets to counterpick stage and character, I win. In any normal competition it would go, "you went last, now its my turn". But for us, now my opponent gets to counterpick AGAIN?, even though I'm up 2-0, I feel like I'm not getting a fair competition here.

If our goal is only to create hype matches, then what we are doing makes sense, but I prefer fair competition to hype matches.

Top Bottom