• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Smash 64 January 11-13th, 2013 Singles Bracket is now up

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
New brunswick could definitely put together a solid team. How exactly do crew battles work?

LLDL

Smash Hero
Kind of glad that 30 of the players only registered for 64 as their only event. Means less people switching from game to game and less /no DQ's.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Firo signed up as IL, best!

Just need 2 more from IL(ZHIN AND.....COMBOOOOOOOO) for a 8v8 STATE/REGION BATTLE its ok imo if firo changes states tho, cuz he's legit not from IL

I wouldnt mind a region vs region 6v6 12cb either, where we get two character locks per person

Fat sandwiches.

EDIT:Yo backroom/isai, put together a 12cb ruleset..?

firo

Smash Ace
Firo signed up as IL, best!
I actually didn't have a choice - the site used my information from last year.

That doesn't mean I would have chosen to register from NY if I could though. OR DOES IT? I also most likely will only be attending the tournament on Friday, so if we were to do some side stuff it would have to be then.

I'm fine with going with either region depending on how many sandwiches I receive as payment.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
EDIT:Yo backroom/isai, put together a 12cb ruleset..?
That would be awesome I play 12cb and the lack of a ruleset make it difficult.

Right now, I do R/P/S for first character pick and stage strike starter list (CJ, HC, DL). Then loser picks from then on out from counter-pick list (which includes PC). Each player also gets 3 counter-pick on characters, which can also be expended as stage bans.

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Do we have a setup count for this? Who should bring what...??? I'm looking at you TO's nintendude/chainace/hamburglar; what do?

Don't mean to disrespect, just super hype

Battlecow

Play to Win
We'll take Florida to the cleaner's, easy

If sheer shows up

If it's just tank then florida has a shot

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
If we do West vs East. Team captains should be Isai for west if he goes and Boom for east. and they should pick 5 or 6 players to play on there team. The whole team has a set number of lifes and to win you just got to be the last team with lifes left.

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
And now I'm actually registered for Apex. Just in case spending hundreds on flight/hotel/car booking wasn't confirmation enough of my attendance.

Now I just gotta find a way to train a bit. Haven't had any equal competition since Apex 2012 :<

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
I hope, more than anything, that this Apex, someone from the Midwest gets top 4 or something to show that MW is no joke.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
So with me and Kefit for sure going now. Where does everyone wanna meet to smash at on thursday evening???.

Getting top 10 at this event is going to be one Big Battle.

malva00

Smash Master
omg boom is going to have homecourt advantage at apex XD

(new brunswick)

k i bought my plane ticket and registered. going to be over there from January 9-16

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to go to this but would need a ride. Is there anyone coming from the NYC area that would be willing to drive me? Thanks in advance.

thegreginator

Smash Journeyman
Ugh just noticed that SSB64 is 3:00PM on a Friday...definitely not going to be able to make it to that

Battlecow

Play to Win
Yo wait ballin and thegreginator?

Damn this tourney is gonna be the best thing that has ever happened

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
The arguments against reducing set length based on variance aren't good. While SSB64 is a swingy game, 15 stocks across three matches is plenty to take into account swingy variables. I think my set against King Funk in Apex 2012 demonstrates this well.
I don't want to sound like a sore loser, but best of 3 was definitely not enough. I was dissapointed that a set for 7th place had to be decided in 15 stocks. =/

I think that any set in top 16 or at the very least top 8 should be decided in a best of 5.

That set we played could really have gone either way. The only john I have is that the ridiculously long 2nd match we had on Hyrule really drained my patience and killed my momentum completely. You have no idea how frustrated I felt after barely losing it. I ended up being too greedy/anxious to close it out in the last round. I got ***** for that. My fault for having cracked mentally.

This is a big reason I hate Hyrule. Once positions are taken onstage (worst case being tent/middle), the entire match becomes a stalemate where no player ever has any reason to approach. There's no time limit either. This makes for atrociously long matches with extended phases of stalling that are just unhealthy for the game and its players. I don't know how much time it will take before most people understand how bad this stage is. I'm not saying all that out of bias as a Falcon player, I'm saying that as a competitor and tournament organizer who cares about the game. Hyrule needs to go.

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
omg boom is going to have homecourt advantage at apex XD

(new brunswick)

k i bought my plane ticket and registered. going to be over there from January 9-16
Cool. What team will you have this time? Mario, Pika, Link, DK maybe? It would be cool to see some DK :)

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to sound like a sore loser, but best of 3 was definitely not enough. I was dissapointed that a set for 7th place had to be decided in 15 stocks. =/

I think that any set in top 16 or at the very least top 8 should be decided in a best of 5.

That set we played could really have gone either way. The only john I have is that the ridiculously long 2nd match we had on Hyrule really drained my patience and killed my momentum completely. You have no idea how frustrated I felt after barely losing it. I ended up being too greedy/anxious to close it out in the last round. I got ***** for that. My fault for having cracked mentally.
Look, you're a good player. Good enough that the cards could have fallen another way and you might have won that match. But you're explicitly admitting here that you got psyched out and lost the set. You were not the best player during the time frame when we played our match, and that's all that matters. Variance was not a major determinant in the outcome of this match.

Professional sports often have single elimination playoff structures with no form of loser's bracket. The NCAA men's basketball tournament is the most prominent example of this, but there are many more. I believe that many Japanese fighting game tournaments make use of best of three for all matches without even having a loser's bracket!

On any given Sunday either team can win. This is an essential part of the competitive framework. It creates exciting, engaging games that can be enjoyed by both players and spectators.

We do not need 30 minute SSB64 matches clogging up tournament time, boring spectators, and sundering the already taxed endurance of our players.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Look, you're a good player. Good enough that the cards could have fallen another way and you might have won that match. But you're explicitly admitting here that you got psyched out and lost the set. You were not the best player during the time frame when we played our match, and that's all that matters. Variance was not a major determinant in the outcome of this match.

Professional sports often have single elimination playoff structures with no form of loser's bracket. The NCAA men's basketball tournament is the most prominent example of this, but there are many more. I believe that many Japanese fighting game tournaments make use of best of three for all matches without even having a loser's bracket!

On any given Sunday either team can win. This is an essential part of the competitive framework. It creates exciting, engaging games that can be enjoyed by both players and spectators.

We do not need 30 minute SSB64 matches clogging up tournament time and sundering the already taxed endurance of our players.
The only real reason sets are 30 minutes long is due to Hyrule being allowed. Your set vs Sensei was Pikachu dittos and exclusively on Hyrule, no wonder it lasted over 25 minutes.

And I never said I was the better player during our set. I was just dissapointed with the outcome and it's only natural. You won and it was some good games. If I make it back to Apex 2013 would love to play you again. ^^

Kefit

Smash Journeyman
I'm always ready for a rematch :>

And a Hyrule ban would obviate the need for reduced set length. But at this point I don't think that's the direction that the powers that be are moving towards.

Top Bottom