• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 Smash 64 January 11-13th, 2013 Singles Bracket is now up

The Star King

Smash Hero
pretty obnoxious too

jk

but I wish you guys didn't bring it up at every opportunity (mostly Battlecow and King Funk, while people like Boomfan are OK about it, but still)

kys

Smash Ace
Totally should go best of 5. A longer series more closely marries, in our case, the best player and the tournament winner. This is very desirable imo.

College basketball can't do a series because there's too many teams. FCS college football and NFL can't due to the physical toll their games take. Time factors into this as well (weekly football games taking forever). It's a matter of practicality.

Going from best of 3 to best of 5 within the top 8 won't add much time. I don't think it's impractical in any sense.

Just to give an example, the 76ers beat the Lakers in game 1 of the NBA Finals in 2001 (not sure about the year). But the Lakers were the better team and rolled off 4 straight wins to finish off the series 4-1. In single elimination, the 76ers would have been the champions. On that day you could say the 76ers were the better team, but overall it was the Lakers, and that's more desirable in a champion.

prisonchild

Smash Ace
Just to give an example, the 76ers beat the Lakers in game 1 of the NBA Finals in 2001 (not sure about the year). But the Lakers were the better team and rolled off 4 straight wins to finish off the series 4-1. In single elimination, the 76ers would have been the champions. On that day you could say the 76ers were the better team, but overall it was the Lakers, and that's more desirable in a champion.
it was 2001 but you easily could have used last year's finals lol.

and are 'ban hyrule' advocates using camping and stalling synonymously? that makes no sense if you ask me. to me, camping and gimping are both legitimate strategies and certain stages benefit a strategy more than others.

perhaps some people should learn patience instead of taking the easy way out and banning a great stage

Battlecow

Play to Win
pretty obnoxious too

jk

but I wish you guys didn't bring it up at every opportunity (mostly Battlecow and King Funk, while people like Boomfan are OK about it, but still)
I mean considering that we went like six months without ever hearing about the issue besides my random bringing it up at every opportunity and then finally right before apex got an actual discussion going, I don't think the issue is that it's overexposed.

It's a big deal, it should be talked about on the boards at least as much as anime

SSB64-Jel

Smash Lord
Sweet 52 signed up now. And my friend Bladewise is going again this year.

Sensei & m3gav01t need to sign up soon or they may miss out.

The Star King

Smash Hero
You mean worth more than banning Hyrule? That post made it sound like you either think best of 5 is a bad thing, or keeping Hyrule is a good thing...

The Star King

Smash Hero
But that's not saying much because you don't want Hyrule legal? I don't get it. You think best of 5 sets are a bad thing?

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
But that's not saying much because you don't want Hyrule legal? I don't get it. You think best of 5 sets are a bad thing?
People are saying sets should be shorter. It would make the 64 tournament go faster in a Hyrule-allowed stagelist.

I think there should be longer sets but that Hyrule should be banned. Hyrule being banned would accelerate tournaments by itself.

Option A:
- reduce set length and keep Hyrule

Option B:
- increase set length and ban Hyrule

TANK64

Smash Lord
Holy crap. This thread blew up.

Yo wait ballin and thegreginator?

Damn this tourney is gonna be the best thing that has ever happened
This.

I think that any set in top 16 or at the very least top 8 should be decided in a best of 5.
I can't quote this enough!!! I would be so mad if I was fighting for top 10 and got knocked out after losing my second game >__> .

I don't care what they say about him. That King Funk character, he knows what he's talking about.

Kind of glad that 30 of the players only registered for 64 as their only event. Means less people switching from game to game and less /no DQ's.
And more 64 PROS.

DK is so much fun to play with. It's alot of fun to play DK dittos with Boom as will
Fun... yea, FUN.

dk dittos are probably the most fun dittos.
Seriously :) . I like almost all dittos though.

People are saying sets should be shorter. It would make the 64 tournament go faster in a Hyrule-allowed stagelist.

I think there should be longer sets but that Hyrule should be banned. Hyrule being banned would accelerate tournaments by itself.

Option A:
- reduce set length and keep Hyrule

Option B:
- increase set length and ban Hyrule
I choose B!

Seriously though, and if both players agree, they can play on it anyways :p
Apex I'm sure is too close, but next tourney should consider this.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Top 10 is so hard to predict. To many good peeps :awesome:

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
im not ok with hyrule

it's just not worth stating my opinion to people who use buzzwords like "fun" to keep hyrule and saying there's not enough evidence to ban it LOL, awful.

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yea. I've always been anti-Hyrule
for competitive play
Nados alone make it ban worthy. i just don't feel like getting into debates about it every Tuesday. Especially since the peeps that are rooting for it won't change no matter how much it's shown to BREAK our game.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I never said you were OK with it Boomfan, I'm just saying you don't argue about it "every Tuesday" which is a good thing

ballin is pro Hyrule? I didn't even know bro, so he can't be a very vocal supporter/a prime example ;P

It was all me + aa + some Isai back in the day (clubba?)

And I'm semi-pro at best tbh, if the community really ends up banning it I probably won't complain that much. I'm just leaning towards the opinion of "we shouldn't at this point in time"

Battlecow

Play to Win
I've decided that I'm going to offer everyone I play the option of gentleman's-clausing to a no-hyrule stage set. I'd prolly gain an advantage in a lot of MU's by camping people out on hyrule but honestly even I can only take playing to win so far... I'd be satisfied with playing to win within a certain set of rules, and choosing the set based on how competitive it is rather than how likely it is to make me win.

It looks like most of my tough matches are going to be against anti-hyrule peeps anyways lol.

Feel free to sound off if you'd be down or not

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yeah Ballin' hearts Hyrule. And I was more talking about the people that aren't going to change their mind =P .

In FL we don't even have to say anything. Every match is DL lol. Just sayin', weather's nice here.

@Battle, I'd be down for a Hyrule free set def.

Battlecow

Play to Win
C-U was always DL only as well given our druthers

although I always made sure we ground out an hour or so on other stages when some kind of competition was coming up

TANK64

Smash Lord
Yeah. I've been playing on Hyrule for Apex practice too. Making sure my tent combos are on ect..

as well as memorizing Pika percents =)

TANK64

Smash Lord
There's gonna be a 64 tourney this weekend here. Should be some nice practice :) . I'll see if we can get a little Yoshi only bracket with Team DinoMIGHT if we finish early. Good TVs this time lol, and HBox is running it so I'll actually get to record matches. Expect results and vids by next week :) . Kys and Loto are showing, as well as some other non-regular peeps. /Hype.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh **** florida going strong as ****. Kys, Loto, Sheer, Tank, Eikelmann, wizzrobe? I'm a little jelly, not gonna lie.

TANK64

Smash Lord
^^Nope :p
/irony

Oh **** florida going strong as ****. Kys, Loto, Sheer, Tank, Eikelmann, wizzrobe? I'm a little jelly, not gonna lie.
And apparently MattNF is living in Orlando now lol. So we should be playing him soon. I want him to come to this since everyone will be there, but don't think it's possible :/ .

Also I'm jelly that y'all have Firo, Solo, Komo, Knite, and yourself already registered from IL for Apex lol.

i'm regular, you ****tard.

i'm also getting second. get ready to john about lag again, tank.

also going to apex 2013 and looking to play with EVERYONE.
I wasn't talking about you ****tard! I was talking about Matt and all those other non-regular "64 players" that confirmed on FB that you know and I've never heard of (Or don't know there real names lol).

kys

Smash Ace
Sometime tomorrow I'm going to find out if I have to pick up my sister from the airport on Saturday. Really bad timing. Loto already knows and gave me a little **** for it. It's still 50/50 for me, but before this little bit of news I was 100%.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
Yo nintendude are you in MD yet? In that case the DMV (DC MD VA) has a good 5:

Star King
A$
Nintendude
Clubba
Mario Reincarnate

tho mario reincarnate is practically retired and I doubt A$ will get his butt up there

KnitePhox

Smash Lord
Wut happen to that Mario dood? He was COO online

Need more awesome teams ppl from kaillera to go.

Someone spam Julian Diaz on facebook to go to apex for me please, he hasn't been on kaillera or Skype. I don't have a FB(ad spam + dumb status) account anymore

Han Solo

Banned via Warnings
So, we're at 39 days left until Apex, and there's 53 people registered. I wonder if the cap is going to be lifted to something higher...

TANK64

Smash Lord
ii'm also getting second. get ready to john about lag again, tank.
Oh yea, almost forgot. Don't get 5 stocked... on video.

You'll be lucky if you get 4th again lol.

Realistically, if you don't choke (and spend less time yelling at the TV) I'd say you could get 6th.
EDIT: I'm down for crew battles. East vs West, South vs Mid, US vs World. Should be fun :) .

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
Yo nintendude are you in MD yet? In that case the DMV (DC MD VA) has a good 5:

Star King
A$
Nintendude
Clubba
Mario Reincarnate

tho mario reincarnate is practically retired and I doubt A$ will get his butt up there
Would love to play a 1v5 crew battle. Me with 25 stocks. ^^

If I go obviously.

Yobolight

Smash Lord
I might actually go to Apex. Maybe by playing some of yall I can take my game to the next level.

Top Bottom