• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
So I just watch all of KoC... ken was there. Not only is he still amazing but he basically called PP beating Mango from Game1 of GF.

I loved how Hugs basically needed to stfu n listen to Ken.

Im so hyped 4 Melee now.

I still think M2k has the best chance at beating Armada. 2nd to him is Mango.

Team Dr. Mango Pp would b the USA Dreamteam

:sonic:

:phone:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I didn't see my name in the list even though I registered. Is it because I'm listed as a spectator and not entering anything?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Hopefully a repost here is fine from earlier in the day, for both myself and KillLock.

--

If anyone relatively decent would like to team, hit me up via PM or ill check back here and register us. Again, Sonic main from Alberta, Canada. Ive had some decent luck when competing in doubles as well as almost taking a set with my partner DTP from Felix (Diddy player from Washington if I recall right?) and his teammate. I'm in it to win it, and work well with a lot of other characters. I've got respectful chemistry with Snake and Peach players, but I can work with anyone. Also Koolaid if you see this, KillLock is looking to team with you for APEX if you're interested. If you don't know who he is, he's our best player here in AB, though he typically goes back and forth with Alphicans as well. Marth player who also can use Snake and Meta Knight. If you're interested he hit your post up on AiB.

It not that's cool but I can guarantee you're getting a good player in KillLock.

In other news, WHO WANTS TO TEAM UP WITH A CANADIAN SONIC?! I qualified for the bracket in singles for Sunrise when I went to Japan.

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Hopefully a repost here is fine from earlier in the day, for both myself and KillLock.

--

If anyone relatively decent would like to team, hit me up via PM or ill check back here and register us. Again, Sonic main from Alberta, Canada. Ive had some decent luck when competing in doubles as well as almost taking a set with my partner DTP from Felix (Diddy player from Washington if I recall right?) and his teammate. I'm in it to win it, and work well with a lot of other characters. I've got respectful chemistry with Snake and Peach players, but I can work with anyone. Also Koolaid if you see this, KillLock is looking to team with you for APEX if you're interested. If you don't know who he is, he's our best player here in AB, though he typically goes back and forth with Alphicans as well. Marth player who also can use Snake and Meta Knight. If you're interested he hit your post up on AiB.

It not that's cool but I can guarantee you're getting a good player in KillLock.

In other news, WHO WANTS TO TEAM UP WITH A CANADIAN SONIC?! I qualified for the bracket in singles for Sunrise when I went to Japan.
Can't you and KillLock just team with each other? lmao

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
I already made the announcement that megabus is a sponsor and we gave away a crap load of tickets

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
Can't you and KillLock just team with each other? lmao
Because while I like to think I'm a good player, I'm also respecting the fact that KillLock is just that much better. One of the best Marth players out there, I'd say. If it came down to it, I'm sure we could team, but if he's got the potential to place in the Top 5 for doubles, since that's what Koolaid wants as well, I'd wanna help him out.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Hey everyone. I've updated the Apex 2013 Money Match Finder thread and indexed all the other MM threads I could find. I've also added some hype/$50+ matches.

IF YOU KNOW OF ANY MORE $50+ MMS OR ANYTHING ELSE SUPER RIDICULOUSLY HYPE PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

Also if I've missed anyone's MM requests let me know.

Of course I'll need to see links to anything I add to the OP of that thread as a safeguard from trolling (never thought i'd hear myself say those words)

HAVE FUN LOSING YOUR MONEY EVERYONE!
last i heard, sky and shugo were money matching for my love

which is at LEAST worth like 13 bucks

Shiny Mewtwo aka Jigglysir

PhD; Smash Community Studies
Premium
3DS FC
2191-7691-7941
Because while I like to think I'm a good player, I'm also respecting the fact that KillLock is just that much better. One of the best Marth players out there, I'd say. If it came down to it, I'm sure we could team, but if he's got the potential to place in the Top 5 for doubles, since that's what Koolaid wants as well, I'd wanna help him out.
No offense to KillLock, but I don't think he could make top 5 no matter who he teamed with at this tournament. With teams like NickRiddle and Shaky, M2K and Ally, FOW and MJG, Rich Brown and Tyrant, quiKsilver and ZeRo, Mekos and Dehf, Zex and Sky, Chudat and Anti, and the Japanese teams I don't see KillLock getting very high.

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
No offense to KillLock, but I don't think he could make top 5 no matter who he teamed with at this tournament. With teams like NickRiddle and Shaky, M2K and Ally, FOW and MJG, Rich Brown and Tyrant, quiKsilver and ZeRo, Mekos and Dehf, Zex and Sky, Chudat and Anti, and the Japanese teams I don't see KillLock getting very high.
I'll respect your opinion, but I also wouldn't underestimate him either.

Whatever happens, happens. I'm just doing my part.

t3h Icy

Smash Master
I'll respect your opinion, but I also wouldn't underestimate him either.

Whatever happens, happens. I'm just doing my part.
Yeah for real. That guy has THREE L's in a row! I suggest Ally drop whatever non-Killlock player he's teaming with and team with him instead.

#LLL

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
i posted it a while ago.

32 pools of 16-man bracket

top 4 make it out

128 man bracket sunday (everyone starts in winners)
At this rate I'm going to assume we'll hit around 350 for each event. To saturate 32 pools of 16 players each, you'd need 512 (no way that's happening at this point). It's the last day of registration, and we're at 318 for Brawl and 315 for Melee, so 350 is a generous estimate.

You could just do 32 pools anyways and give byes to people with the highest seeding points I guess, but then you have 5 byes per pool (assuming 350 people in 32 pools with 16-man bracket). That's nonsense, you're giving 30% of the players a bye, I hope I don't have to go into why this is silly :x

Assuming you're set on a 128-man bracket, round-robin pools (64 of 5-6, top 2 make it out) could be a good alternative, as could 42 8-man bracket pools with top 3 making it out (caps at 336 entrants though, two byes in bracket). Please, PLEASE consider alternatives to 16-man pools, they just make more sense at this point :/

I trust you guys to run this event properly, and understand that you're working hard to make sure everything finishes in a timely manner, but just wanted to throw out a reminder that pools could turn out very lopsided if you guys aren't willing to adjust the setup depending on the amount of entrants.

One week left, hype!

:059:

PB&J

Smash Hero
So im doing interviews again and im even doing a montage this year.

I have some cool other ideas too. Im pretty sure im going to get some footage of ice in the next couple of days then Javi next week. Im going to have the craziest footage ever.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
The number of pools ran must be a power of 2 so 42 pools would not work.

The 64 pools of 5-6 people would take considerably longer than the 32 bracket pool setup too

Player-1

Smash Legend
top 2 making it out would suck (that's what they did last year, and you had people only losing one set in pools not making it out which is dumb)

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I don't see an issue with people having byes in bracket pools. That was almost guaranteed to happen. As long as over half people in bracket pools are not getting byes it should be fine. Byes are seen in bracket normally so I don't see much of a difference of it for bracket pools, especially with 16 spots in the bracket pool. So you can get a bye and still not make it out of pools pretty much.
will apex have up to date brackets for fans at home?
Yup since we will be using Challonge this year.

Tesh

Smash Hero
AWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

I dont like bracket pools, but will all of the little bracket pools be up for us to see as well or would that be too much at once?

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
AWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME

I dont like bracket pools, but will all of the little bracket pools be up for us to see as well or would that be too much at once?
Bracket pools will be posted before they begin but the bracket pools will not be updated live like the normal bracket since we will likely be using Tio for the bracket pools if I recall correctly.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
We are still determining our exact method of bringing bracket updates live and as much of it as possible. We will let you all know exactly how it will be when we know 100%

ThePrime

Smash Lord
Anybody know if SmellyCat is doing another pre apex tourney at his house like last year? It was low key filthy. It was melee only.

Ishiey

Mother Wolf
BRoomer
The number of pools ran must be a power of 2 so 42 pools would not work.

The 64 pools of 5-6 people would take considerably longer than the 32 bracket pool setup too
Yeah, it would only work with two byes in the final bracket but that's less than optimal because you're favoring two random first seeds without any reasoning. It'll also result in mismatch between which seeds fight eachother first match. Not the best solution. And agreed, it's a little less than half as many matches with saturated 16-person bracket pools vs 6-person RR pools.

I forgot about matching seeds before, I guess that does drastically reduce the amount of viable options for pools :/ idk, you guys know the TOing business way better than I do lol, but I can't help but feel like giving a third of players a bye isn't an optimal setup for pools. When registration is closed I'm going to take another look to see if I can figure something out, but as of now I've got nothin' :x

Still, super hype.

:059:

Gadiel_VaStar

Smash Champion
NNID
GadielVaStar
A family situation came up, and I can no longer attend Apex 2013. My teammate Rayku (Lucario) needs a teammate. He's a fantastic Lucario main, and he used to be right under Big Lou, Reflex, and Kismet in tournament results back in 08-09 when he was extremely active. He took a break from brawl...went back to melee, and now plays Lucario in Project M. He places pretty much the same in Melee, right under XIF & Chinesahh. He's a great player and a great person, and anyone would be lucky to team with him. He has great doubles sense and has won many double tournaments in the Georgia/Alabama scene.

If you are interested or know anyone interested, please reply below

Thank you,

~Gadiel

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
maybe when I decide to team with him in brawl again, something magical will happen. But as of right now, 64 > brawl for me(dubs on same day as 64 CURSES)

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
A family situation came up, and I can no longer attend Apex 2013. My teammate Rayku (Lucario) needs a teammate. He's a fantastic Lucario main, and he used to be right under Big Lou, Reflex, and Kismet in tournament results back in 08-09 when he was extremely active. He took a break from brawl...went back to melee, and now plays Lucario in Project M. He places pretty much the same in Melee, right under XIF & Chinesahh. He's a great player and a great person, and anyone would be lucky to team with him. He has great doubles sense and has won many double tournaments in the Georgia/Alabama scene.

If you are interested or know anyone interested, please reply below

Thank you,

~Gadiel
I'm still seeking a Doubles partner myself. I main Sonic over here from West Coast, and though I haven't secured any doubles wins I've got decent doubles sense and would like to consider myself decent (on my A-Game I've managed top 3 placings in doubles in our local Alberta scene). I've qualified for pro brackets in events like WHOBO 3 and recently Sunrise over in Japan (Singles, but still).

I'll be willing to pay his side of Doubles as well if it helps since it's only $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom