• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Apex 2013 - Pools up in OP! - Only at the door for FGC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
So im thinking about megabussing to this tourney from Louisiana. Thoughts? also, would housing be available?
Mink is mega bussing from florida. not advisable imo, but whatever works.
Holy ****. That sounds hard as **** compared to pools. 256 people n 16 brackets of 16 would mean 64 would make it out total.

Sounds fun.

:018:
i heard 32 pools.

128 man bracket. I believe. unless theres more pools rounds.

M@v

Subarashii!
25% rate of making it out. For those keep track that's harder than the pools were last year (5-6 people, top 2 get out= ~33%)

you basically have to place 4th or better in a fairly stacked local tournament.

So...bracket pools means? I'm used to pools being smaller and round robin. Like a 16 man bracket per pool and 1st-4th place moves on to the next round of pools and so on? Seems kinda easy to get screwed like that. One could play the #1 and #2 best in pool right off the bat and never make it out, even though that person might be #3 in terms of skill. I guess that's what seeding is for though, right? If you're a no namer, you'd be put in a pool with MOSTLY other no namers? At least at first?

M@v

Subarashii!
^When they seed bracket pools for skill, they usually seed it with 2 or 4 levels of seeding. As a TO, here's how I would seed a 16 man bracket pool:

first, rank how I feel the placings will go, 1-16. Get outside help if needed.

-Put ranks 1 and 4 on one side, opposite eachother, and 2/3 on the other side, opposite of eachother.
-Put 1 against 16, 2 against 15, etc. all the way down to 8 vs 9, which theoretically will be the most evenly matched first round.

If the bracket plays out how you imagine it will, ranks 1 and 4 will face off in winners semis on 1 side, and ranks 2 and 3 will face off in the other semis.

Upsets always happen, but its near impossible to account for outside of making sure skill levels are properly distributed between pools. Otherwise you have a death pool. I got stuck in one of those in APEX 2010. I went 4-2 in my round robin and only got 4th seed.

That's why its important your TO staff is composed of people from around the nation, so no really good player goes under the radar and completely screws up a pool by being with 4-5 other already really good players.

Hmmm...okay that kinda makes sense. Hard to really grasp it all without seeing it in practice. But it sounds like I wouldn't get screwed by being put in a bracket of M2K, Armada, PPU, and Dr. PeePee or something. Sounds like a bracket like that probably wouldn't exist anyway for a pool. Thank you I appreciate it. :)

EDIT: Nevermind I think I got it. So there's only one pool that I'll be in, just like everyone else. 32 pools total, but all the pools will be happening at different times ja? So you make it past your one pool and you are in the ginormous freakin' bracket, haha. I can live with that.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
So many games. SO MANY GAMES!
Do a lot of non-smashers come or are the majority of SF4 tourney filled with random smash players? Dunno how you do it Strife but don't stop.

Mr-R

Smash Champion
I'm really sorry guys, as much as I want to go, I'm gonna sit this one out. School and money issues are just ****ing me over.

I'm sorry everyone from europe. I won't be there this time. Really hope you guys can do good and represent europe on my part. Believe me I REALLY tried coming to this, it's just not happenng...........................................

[COLLAPSE=" "]LOL JK, I just booked my flight! Officially confirmed for apex 2013, **** yeah !!!![/COLLAPSE]

Mr-R

Smash Champion
Starting tomorrow, I will litterly play smash at least 3 hours a day ( either vs a cpu or wifi )
I am so pumped for this.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Way too much pink in this thread right now. :urg:

Alex: How large is the Melee bracket going to be? And are you doing Bracket Pools for that as well?

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
Writing Team
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
ahhh poop, gosh darn it Mr R looks like i'm stuck with your pants for another year!!!!!!!!!!

legit yo

Leon94

Smash Journeyman
I'm really sorry guys, as much as I want to go, I'm gonna sit this one out. School and money issues are just ****ing me over.

I'm sorry everyone from europe. I won't be there this time. Really hope you guys can do good and represent europe on my part. Believe me I REALLY tried coming to this, it's just not happenng...........................................

[COLLAPSE=" "]LOL JK, I just booked my flight! Officially confirmed for apex 2013, **** yeah !!!![/COLLAPSE]
****ing ramin, you made me really sad, good news any, quik you and me are confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom