• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

APEX 2010 - Event Done | Partial Results up Side events will be posted ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I'm hiring some goons to kidnap you and bring you in if you don't make travel arraignments.

You might be a little worse for wear... but it'll be worth it.

As for people johning about the money, yea it's expensive, but this is a massive tournament, you get what you pay for. On principal, 5 dollars a head is good when it can be done, but nationals/worldwides just offer so much more of a comprehensive experience that it's well worth paying the extra money.

This is mad inexpensive for a national, and it's gonna be amazing, so you make the choice, is it worth it to you? I know my answer.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Hey guys,

Sorry about the last few days I have been extremely ill. Due to that I have not been able to really function in and out of the smash community. So to those who have seen me I am sorry and to those who experience my illness I am terribly sorry.

With that out of the way I want to address the pricing issue.

The venue fee is not a venue fee that is ridiculous or some type of scam to make money its to cover the venue and all the costs we will have. This is event is more than just a tournament it is a total experience. There is a quality in this event that no other company, group, or person can ever match. TOs from all over the United States gathered for this event to help out. Not only that, but, people from across the world are coming to this. $30 venue fee broken down to 10 per day is simply CHEAP.

I have done everything within my power to make this cheap for everyone. People complaining about it are just doing so to complain. I am sorry but I know for a fact this is complaining to just complain. How come there are complaints when the prices have been up for MONTHS.

With that being said I know over 400+ will be in attendance and that the people complaining, for the most part, will still come. This venue is huge. There is a giant eatery BELOW the venue so even if it rains and pours outside we do not even need to go outside we go right downstairs and there is subway/wendys and such. Also think of this...what tournament do you have a chance to win a TV for bringing a setup? You win a LCD brand new tv. thats more than anyone can imagine. The more setups you bring the better chance you have at winning an LCD tv.

TL;DR

Do not complain cause there is a lot of stuff here that makes this experience worth the venue fee plus the expenses. Not to mention

EC vs WC brawl and melee crews

USA vs World Crews

JAPAN Melee and BRawl players

OOC BRAWL players

OOC Melee players

POOLS for doubles and singles

you get bang for your buck!

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
$30 is pretty fair, as long as I can sleep on the floor.

I want to make it to this, i'm getting a summer job, I hope there will be smash buses. But,CORN POWER!!!! IN. masters of teh corn. watch as we corn people blow our minds.

I hope there will also be many pichu players to get bad players out of pools. JKing.

caleb0froy

Smash Journeyman
Seconding Plank on this one.

Is it because you think tourneys like this should be five dollars per head? That's all well and fine if this was some piddly, small-fry thing that your local talent attends. It's not something so minuscule, however. Alex Strife is putting a lot of time, work, and (last but certainly not least) money into this so that it can be as big as humanly possible. Big prospects usually require a ****-ton of resources, and it's not entirely unreasonable to scale prices in accordance to compensate for those resources lost. As Plank had mentioned, Pound 4 barely broke even. BARELY BROKE EVEN. Just read the OP in this thread, absorb all of the info for the venue, and then wonder why the prices are so **** high. Common sense.

Plus I get this strong hunch that this tourney is for the community AS A WHOLE and not done out of ENTIRELY SELFISH REASONS. I view paying whatever fees as just part of the freakin' kindness that players need to dole out to these TOs for taking the time out of their lives to organize such huge tourneys.

The only reason I'm not going to this AND GAMME is because I'm a broke-*** mofo who couldn't possibly scrounge up the cash needed for both events. I'm opting out to go to GAMME only because the stars will be aligned just right (aka BONUSES). If I had the money for both events? ****, I'd pay it. I'd pay it and more.

You're doing good, Alex. From what I've read, hell, you've always done good with these sorts of things. Keep it up bro, and don't listen to this crap.

Smooth Criminal
TO PARAPHRASE:

If you can't afford it don't go. Prices are Prices Deal With it! Smash Tourneys are for the community, not for self-gain. If it weren't for people like Plank and Alex. Smash would not get the attention it so rightly deserves!

With that I would to Thank all of the TO's who put these Wonderful Tournaments Together for us!

HelpR

Smash Ace
I am so coming to this. already made travel arrangements with my friends. dunno why everybody is complaining about cost, renting out a huge space like this is expensive, and all the stuff that alex is gonna have set up is amazing. this obviously required massive amounts of organization and dedication, and 30 bucks isnt that much for an awesome experience that this tourney promises.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
you have had/have how many months to save up for this thing? As well it's not that hard to afford this if you just cut back on the things you don't need to buy. Excess games that you're going to play once or twice then switch over to the newer game.

Long stpry short: good **** Alex, and all the spoiled brats need to stop complaining.

Eggm

Smash Hero
Banning yoshi's and fountian from neutrals would be fine with me, I'd rather have the Japanese players than stages that mess me up. Battlefield/FD ftw.

MXXD123

Smash Journeyman
$30 is pretty fair, as long as I can sleep on the floor.

I want to make it to this, i'm getting a summer job, I hope there will be smash buses. But,CORN POWER!!!! IN. masters of teh corn. watch as we corn people blow our minds.

I hope there will also be many pichu players to get bad players out of pools. JKing.
My pichu will be there, although I won't enter. O'll get taken out of pools so easily

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
yes isai is actually coming according to m2k and umbreon.

guys do not forget to pre-reg and PAY for it...do not buy another new game for a week and just pay for the pre-reg please!

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
im sooo pissed i lost my wallet. id pre reg'd right now but lost $55, which is alot of money for a 15 year old melee player.

AXE 09

Smash Master
its a national 3 day tournament, deal with it. pound was the same way. you new kids need to stop being so spoiled and cheap, this is how it needs to be done. with 30 dollars per person at pound i BARELY broke even. you pay for what you get.
I agree. People need to MAN UP!!!

Honestly I feel that the price for this event is very fair (the hotel's pretty expensive though, even after the smasher discounts...... but it's a classy hotel, so i understand). Stop making up johns for not coming, you have like 4 months to save up money.

I don't wanna pre-reg until I talk to V3ctorman about this, as well as the twins from NM about splitting hotel costs and such.

<3 you guys :)

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Axe, dont forget me! I'm probably gonna pre reg at the end of this month or next, and if all goes well. I should have 5500+ to spend the week of Apex lol.

Axe, be prepared for my pika.

tw1n

Smash Champion
Yo Axe. I just text you about the rooming thing =]

Axe, dont forget me! I'm probably gonna pre reg at the end of this month or next, and if all goes well. I should have 5500+ to spend the week of Apex lol.

Axe, be prepared for my pika.
Yo you're coming to this DD!!! Sweet! And if you wanna room with us that would be awesome =] (although we are still looking into the rooming situation ourselves lol)

D. Disciple

Smash Master
Yeah I'm making sure I'm coming to this. Get in some boxing too, I didn't get to at Genesis I was pretty sad. I'll make sure to contribute to the rooms anyway, once **** gets figured out. But for now, still on that 2nd job hunt.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
My pichu will be there, although I won't enter. O'll get taken out of pools so easily
Why not? If I never played I would've never won at anything. My first tourment I lost 0-2 every match even vs a yoshi player. grant it I shouldn't have given so much into friendlies and I SDed a bunch. I did my best, got better and if I fought in that pool again I would do much better. It only costs like $15.

But I'll admit I really beat myself up for losing in doubles and it ruins my mindset because I feel terrible that I cost my parther the match because I couldn't just be a really good puff player or something.

Also don't you think most people will get F***ed up in pools? think about it depending on the size of the pools only so many people can get out and we can't expect to ever win if we don't ever try.

However your choice

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Apexxxxxxxxxx hypeeeee. I kinda want summer to get here, but I kinda need my time to get a new job. Although I will save money for this the way I am getting money now so that if I don't get a job I'll still go to Apex :3

Lobos

Smash Master
Alex if I register now, can I edit it later to add a teammate? Don't wanna do teams if I dont have a confirmed partner.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Do any of you know when the deadline for pre-reg is? I don't want to miss that. I have money, and i can pre-reg now, its just I have to buy something this week first so I might have to wait a week or too. But Yeah. I'm sure you understand my mini dilemna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom