• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Anyone still play Melee?

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
Otto, I've been meaning to ask, why doesn't Combo Status hold a Melee tourney in Wa? I mean you guys are always talking about how much you <3 Melee, and West Coast(more like BEST Coast mirite?) cant let Georgia have all the fun.

???????

Smash Journeyman
I still play Melee, mainly because of how much I miss Dr. Mario.

Doc for life!

*To Boss: Comeon they're both Mario, please don't hate me too much...*

UberBlackCleric

Smash Cadet
well, there seems to be a bit of a scarcity of Melee tournaments right now and without all the bi-weeklies and such happening here in Ca a big event on our coast could attract more players than usual. Idk, im just getting annoyed that the only melee tourneys are happening on the other side of the country >.<

Proverbs

Smash Lord
Hey, I still play Smash 64! I play all of the games.

However, I play Melee and Brawl more than 64 (my friends don't quite like it as much. Probably something to do with the lack of airdodging or the general slowness of the game. I just like the ridiculous comboing that happens, the importance each move made has, and Ness being top tier), and Melee more than Brawl. Well, I might play Brawl more than Melee, but I enjoy Melee more than Brawl and when with my teammate, we play Melee much more and enjoy it a whole lot more. However, some people complain that it's not beginner friendly.

While that is entirely true, this is why Melee is more competitive. It's harder and it makes you use your brain. Brawl does not demand as much from the mind. That is fact.

So, I guess that's why I like Melee more. It makes me think and gets me more involved. And when I'm more involved I just enjoy the game more.

MaxThunder

PM Support
i've just started learning wavedashing so... yes i play melee.... but i'll play brawl a lot once i get it and then play both... (again i curse nintento for a ****ING LATE RELEASE IN NORWAY!!!!!)... please dont mind that...

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
If I am not mistaken when you are running in brawl and you jump you will jump just as far as you would if you jumped from a standing positon, this is probably why camping is so effective in brawl since you can't jump far enough to reach them without getting hit by the projectiles they may be spamming
That is what nerfed the best characters in melee and the worst part about it is that it helped nerf the Knee of Captain Falcon. With just one factor and, it seems obvious that melee was more closer to reality than brawl, except the multiple air dodges that keeps gravity, but that is it.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
Yes... Brawl hasn't even been released here in sweden. I don't think I even plan on buying it when it's released. I have played it (friends with haxed wiis)... I really dislike the lack of l canceling, the overall slower speed and the lack of freedom and possibilities in the movement system (no wavedashing, wavelanding and dash canceling=gay). What I hate the most though is how unbalanced the characters seem to be (lmao ive never lost playing as metaknight. ******** priority+******** speed=retardely broken character) and how much the game favors people who play defensively and campy

furyberserk

Smash Apprentice
You can play brawl offensively, you just need more evasive priority. With that, you can be as offensive as the god of war wants or allows himself. Every character has throws that puts your opponents out of range, or sets them up to be chased. I still like the freedom and combo happy feeling of melee, but the only reason why brawl seems more defensive is that you don't try to mix both offensive and defensive together. Zelda melee players may camp in both games, so that's not much of a change anyway. Melee is better than Brawl...for now.

escapegoat

Smash Rookie
You can play brawl offensively, you just need more evasive priority. With that, you can be as offensive as the god of war wants or allows himself. Every character has throws that puts your opponents out of range, or sets them up to be chased. I still like the freedom and combo happy feeling of melee, but the only reason why brawl seems more defensive is that you don't try to mix both offensive and defensive together. Zelda melee players may camp in both games, so that's not much of a change anyway. Melee is better than Brawl...for now.
wut. Why bother trying to play brawl offensively? Even camping is more fun in melee.

L__

Smash Master
You know what I'd be interested in? The entire world going back to the good old days. Where the majority of the world was happy. (Either playing melee or 64 >_<)

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
The real question is, why wouldn't anyone play melee. Have you ever played 4-way Falcon on any level?

Especially Flatzone!?

You haven't lived tilll you have.

okiyama

Smash Ace
The real question is, why wouldn't anyone play melee. Have you ever played 4-way Falcon on any level?

Especially Flatzone!?

Way better on Fountain of Dreams or Yoshi's Island. Rules:
C Falcon only
You must be off the edge more than on teh ground
Any time you knee or Punch you must taunt

K64

Smash Apprentice
I still play Melee cuz I don't have a Wii (yet), I still kick DK spammer butt and it's still amusing.

BlackPanther

Smash Ace

Especially Flatzone!?

Haha yeah that level is a beast. I forgot who you were playin with that that match I watched looked like a lot of fun xD.

Top Bottom