• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

and Brawl+: MD - Graphix Gaming Tournament - March 13th (Sat.) - B+ Now Streaming!

Bones0

Smash Legend
BRAWL+ IS NOW STREAMING

DATE AND TIME:
- Saturday, March 13th
- Schedule Outline:

10:00 AM - Doors open; Registration begins; Warm-up friendlies (probably won't be many setups at first)
11:45 AM - Registration closes (will try to work you in if you're late, but don't count on it); Friendlies end; I will introduce myself and my assistants and briefly review the venue rules
12:00 PM - Start playing (Melee will be Doubles first, Singles second, and Singles will have pools; how Brawl+ goes is up to JCaesar)
1:30 PM - Lunch: Pizza Wave 1
6:30 PM - Dinner: Pizza Wave 2
9:00 PM - Pack up; Crew battle
10:00 PM - Close up (we don't have to be out right at 10, but if you have somewhere to be afterwards this is around the time we will finish hopefully)

I've thought about the best way to do the pizza, which is in two waves as you can see. When you register there will be a spot for you to put how many slices you would like for lunch. At around 6:00, I will come around and ask people how many slices they would like for dinner, and that will be how many I order (please don't be stupid by asking for 5 slices then only paying for 3 because you weren't that hungry). The soda will probably be bought farther in advance so that won't be an issue.

VENUE:
Graphix Gaming Center
8 Newport Drive, Forest Hill, MD 21050
(410) 420-6811

- There is plenty of parking, both directly in front of the venue and also nearby.
- There are 24 chairs with a comfortable amount of space for 12 setups (pictures at bottom of post).
- If you want to take a break from Smash, there are many different activities provided by Graphix Gaming, such as the Wii room (play Rock Band with soundproof walls and lights that flash with the music), and loads of other stuff. Your venue fee does not cover anything outside of the tournament setups, however, so to use any of the back rooms you must pay the standard fee at the front desk.

GENERAL RULES:
- Respect the equipment. Whether it belongs to Graphix Gaming or a fellow smasher, no one wants to have to worry about their stuff.
- All food must be eaten in the cafeteria area. You may take drinks to your station while you play, but please be careful not to spill anything.
- If you have a suggestion, idea, complaint, anything, please say something. I would really like this event to become a biweekly or at least monthly event, but I will need help and support to make it happen.

FOOD & DRINK:
- Pizza from Little Caesar's
- Soda (24 Cokes, 24 Sprites, and 12 Barq's Root Beers)
- There are two vending machines in the venue, one with energy drinks and soda, the other with snacks.

PRICES:
- Venue Fee: $7
- Singles: $10 per person
- Doubles: $20 per team
- Payout Scheme: 48/22/14/8/4/4 (While I can't stop people from splitting the pot, it is highly discouraged. There's nothing more lame than seeing the top 2 players decide they don't want to finish the tournament.)
- Pizza: $1.25 per slice
- Soda: $1.00 per can
- I know a big deal with tournaments these days is the venue fee, which is why I have done my best to get it as low as possible. $7 for around 12 hours in a nice LAN center is extremely generous, but if up to 35 people can confirm they will go, the venue fee will be reduced even more to $6. If 40 people confirm, it will be reduced to $5. If it’s any consolation, know that I am running this thing with absolutely no money coming my way. I’m doing it all for the love of Melee. <3

SETUPS:
- As far as setups go, the LAN center has no available TVs (there are only monitors, which I'm assuming would lag), Wiis, or GameCubes. If this event is going to run smoothly, everyone will have to step up and bring what they can. Ideally, we will have 12 setups. If we reach 40 people, room can be made for a few more. We could probably squeeze up to 18 setups, but more than that would be pushing it. List of people bringing setups or TVs will be in the next post.

I CAN HAS TOURNAMENT?:
- I really want this to be enjoyable for everyone, so I am following guidelines from other great T.O.s, such as Alpha Zealot and Tantalus .
- There will be pools for singles for fair seeding of the brackets, to give newer players more matches for their money, and to give different players a chance to chill with each other. As far as the rest of the matches, they will be run with your standard double elimination.
- EPsilon933 has kindly offered to record matches off of one of the TVs so most of the later bracket matches should be available on YouTube after the tournament. Best part is the INSANE QUALITY he will be recording with.
- After the finals and right before closing, I was thinking about having everyone pack up aside from a single setup on which we would hold a crew battle (crews would be made with the tournament placements to make them as fair as possible). This would just be a fun way to wrap up the event. Nothing too serious and it won't have an entry fee of any sort.

MELEE:
- I'm using the Pound 4 rule set and stage list (stolen directly from Plank).

Plank said:
- 4 stock
- 2/3 sets
- 3/5 semifinals+finals
- 8 minute time limit
- Items off
- Ties broken by lives, then %
- Double Blind character pick can be called at anytime.
- Stage Knock Out: Each person may choose one stage to be disabled for the entire set, it must be chosen at the beginning of the set, after initial characters are chosen.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or select to go random. The winner may then change their character, followed by the loser.
- Bring your own controller
- Controller Mods, Glitches (IC Freeze Glitch, Mewtwo Soul Stunner, etc), and tactics used to stall a match (wall-bombing, rising pound), are banned.
- Team Attack will be ON
- Life stealing allowed (Bones: I would personally recommend turning off pause so you don't have to worry about waiting to steal lives; maybe that's just me though)

- Neutrals 1v1:
FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams

- Counterpicks 1v1:
Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
Pokemon Stadium

- Neutrals 2v2:
FD
Yoshis
Dreamland
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium

- Counterpicks 2v2:
Kongo Jungle
Brinstar
Rainbow Cruise
BRAWL+:
- I barely know anything about Brawl+, but JCaesar has offered to run a side-event for Brawl+ because he's just that cool. Here is his chosen rule set.

Rules:

It will be all the standard stuff. If you have any questions about the rules, feel free to ask. Infinites are allowed and encouraged if you can find one.

Stage striking for the first match. Any disputes about who strikes first or controller ports or whatever will be settled by RPS.

Starters:
Final Destination
Smashville
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Yoshi's Island (singles)/SSE Jungle (doubles)

Counterpicks:
Yoshi's Island (doubles)
Wifi Waiting Room (doubles)
Wario Ware (singles)
Brinstar (singles)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Skyworld+

2 stage bans

We will be using the official 6.0 set. If anyone is caught cheating, they will be immediately DQed and banned from all future tourneys I run, and my pig will eat your first-born son.

Custom music is fine but I will probably ban custom textures (excluding official B+ teams color fixes). Well, I didn't last time, but if anyone has any complaints about textures, let me know.

Bones0

Smash Legend
(Red = Confirmed, Blue = Maybe; also, if it wasn't obvious, it is assumed each Wii/Cube has a copy of Melee; please specify if this is not the case for you)

PEOPLE ATTENDING: 37
Bandit
Bionic Sonic
Bones0 (Melee TO)
ChivalRuse
Combo Knight
Count Kaiser
Eggm
EPsilon933 (Recording matches)
Husband
JCaesar (Brawl+ TO)
kidneybeans
pockeystick
Quinny Dinny
ThatGuyYouMightKnow
TheCrimsonBlur
Thunderhorse+
Vassago
Vist
Waffle
Wife (True story)
wowoduend

Btree
Chinesahh
CK
Dark Iori Yagami
dosv
frostymm
Frozen
Hat
Hey_its_YO
Lobos
Mhayn
Plairnkk
Shinku
TheTantalus
TPFvyse
VaNz

WIIS/GAMECUBES: 10
1 - Bionic Sonic
1 - Bones0
1 - EPsilon933
2 - JCaesar
1 - kidneybeans
1 - pockeystick
1 - Vassago
1 - Vist

1 - Lobos (no game)

TELEVISIONS: 9
1 - Bionic Sonic
3 - Bones0
3 - JCaesar
1 - kidneybeans

1 - Lobos

KageMurphy

Smash Master
Wow, syphers thing is some basement smashfest

This is an tourny, clearly superior, come to this and back up your claims on greatness! *looks at CK*

Bones0

Smash Legend
You should try Tio.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=163236

Also, I don't have a car, so if I can go, can anyone from around Falls Church, Virginia drive me there? *Offers to pay my share of gas $*
Thanks, that looks perfect.

Ask Korn to come
I would but idk who Korn is. >_>

Sorry if I marked this on the same date as Sypher's biweekly. I would just push it back a week if I could, but the center has already saved the whole place for that Saturday.

Foy

Smash Champion
Ah too bad this is the same time as an Upstate NY tournament or i might have contemplated coming down. =[

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'm determined to hold a successful event even if you people are attending CLEARLY INFERIOR tournaments instead. Don't come crying to me when you're in a cramped, smelly basement and have no delicious pizza while everyone is here making history of what is sure to be the first of a stupendous series of tournaments and Smashfests. I feel kind of sad for you. :(

Bones0

Smash Legend
Little Caesar's is amazing. $5.55 for a large pizza?? I hit the one up near me like 3 times a week lol
Too true. There's a Pizza Hut within walking distance of the LAN center, but every gamer I asked said to get pizza from Little Caesar's so I'm going with that. lol

TheTantalus

Smash Hero
Also when i said 13th i had brawl on the mind

we never have melee tournies so i figured that wouldn't matter, bones don't worry about sypher's, it's 90 miles from forest hill

You can draw in the baltimore crowd (who seems to care more about melee than VA anyways) like Plank, HAT, Btree, DOSV, Newb, Slikvik and The silver spring guys will be split so they'll probably go to the higher competition (Thumbs, Shinku, they'll probably come to this if the venue is nice and not expensive and has better competition)

If you allow a brawl+ side event i'm sure the Brawl+ boys would show up too and maybe play melee as well

Bones0

Smash Legend
Okay, sounds good. I wouldn't consider $7 expensive, but the more people that come the cheaper it is, so hopefully it will be the usual $5. If it seems like the attendance won't be as high as I hoped by the end of February, I'll probably add in Brawl+ to get some extra traffic.

Foy

Smash Champion
I'm determined to hold a successful event even if you people are attending CLEARLY INFERIOR tournaments instead. Don't come crying to me when you're in a cramped, smelly basement and have no delicious pizza while everyone is here making history of what is sure to be the first of a stupendous series of tournaments and Smashfests. I feel kind of sad for you. :(
XD at this whole statement.

Lobos

Smash Master
If brawl+ is added I'll be interested to come but I don't know if I will be able to......HYPE!

Shinku team with me so just to bring back krimson ballz!

Bones - Put MD in the thread title to let people know its in Maryland lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
If brawl+ is added I'll be interested to come but I don't know if I will be able to......HYPE!

Shinku team with me so just to bring back krimson ballz!

Bones - Put MD in the thread title to let people know its in Maryland lol
Yeah, that would probably make sense. *facepalm*

How many setups do you guys think you would need for Brawl+? I just want to avoid having 10 Melee players waiting around while every Brawl+ player is playing, you know?

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I'd probably come if there's Brawl+. I have a Wii and 3 TVs.

I'd be willing to take over responsibility of the Brawl+ side event if you want. I've run probably 90% of the Brawl+ tourneys in MD/VA.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I'd probably come if there's Brawl+. I have a Wii and 3 TVs.

I'd be willing to take over responsibility of the Brawl+ side event if you want. I've run probably 90% of the Brawl+ tourneys in MD/VA.
That sounds great. If you are willing to run it, consider Brawl+ added.

I'm not really sure how you mod Brawl, so do you just put in an SD card or do you actually need a hacked Wii? I just need to know if I have setups coming that are for Brawl+ only or not. Also, how many setups would you be expecting? I don't care how many you are using as long as everyone has an equal chance of playing both games. If you have a list of rules for Brawl+, just post them and I can copy them into the first post.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Brawl+ can be loaded on an unhacked Wii from just an SD card, but I think we'd probably have enough setups ready to go if the Brawl+ players show up so it shouldn't be an issue. The number of setups we need depends on turnout obviously and since B+ was just added, I'd rather wait a bit and gauge the interest before jumping to any conclusions. But in all honesty unless this suddenly gets huge, I doubt we'd need more than 3 or 4 and we should be able to provide them entirely by ourselves. We're self-sufficient like that :p

These are the rules I used for my last Hackfest:
Rules:

It will be all the standard stuff. If you have any questions about the rules, feel free to ask. Infinites are allowed and encouraged if you can find one.

Stage striking for the first match. Any disputes about who strikes first or controller ports or whatever will be settled by RPS.

Starters:
Final Destination
Smashville
Battlefield
Pokemon Stadium 2
Yoshi's Island (singles)/SSE Jungle (doubles)

Counterpicks:
Yoshi's Island (doubles)
Wifi Waiting Room (doubles)
Wario Ware (singles)
Brinstar (singles)
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 1
Castle Siege
Halberd
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Rainbow Cruise
Skyworld+

2 stage bans

We will be using the official 6.0 set. If anyone is caught cheating, they will be immediately DQed and banned from all future tourneys I run, and my pig will eat your first-born son.

Custom music is fine but I will probably ban custom textures (excluding official B+ teams color fixes). Well, I didn't last time, but if anyone has any complaints about textures, let me know.

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
I should be coming to the Brawl+ event with a TV/Wii, just need to find a ride lol

Bones0

Smash Legend
It's almost split half and half between Brawl+ and Melee. MD Melee needs to step it up. This is definitely shaping up to be a great tournament, though. ^_^ Make sure you are telling other Smashers to get the word out, and don't forget to tell me whether or not you can bring a setup.

Top Bottom