• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amy Winehouse Dead At 27

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
You have a rich celebrity who can afford to party all day and all night , and she's singing the blues.
Right because she was always rich and famous. Plus the fact that she was dosed to the eyeballs on drugs is somewhat of an indication that she wasn't exactly happy anyway.

There's nothing sincere or soulful about that.
Also, people with good singing voices are so much more common than most seem to think. They are so abundant that "having a good voice" is sort of an empty praise. I hear the same thing about Lady Gaga, who also sucks.
Good singing voices are somewhat common, but it's more than just a voice, you have to be able to put feeling behind it, imo there's a big difference between just a nice voice and singing with some soul behind it. Gaga does actually have a decent voice, but the difference is that she chooses not to employ it making it moot.

Pop music was the best when Michael Jackson was alive (and black). It's been downhill ever since.
Pop music was best when Bach was alive imo, that dude's music is probably my favourite.

Technically, Bach's music was the pop of its time. :p

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It's better if you play them yourself.

I'm a violinist so... :3

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Huh? I actually enjoy Gaga; her music is generally more interesting and less bland than other pop artists, and the videos that I've seen for her songs are usually good.
Except she doesn't even have one good song. Neither does Amy Winehouse. It all sounds like empty boring gibberish to me. I don't understand how this stuff can be considered good music.

Also, I love the fact that you're acting like you were alive back in MJ's day and able to make a sweeping generalization that ignores all of the bad artists of that, or any generation.
I swear people on smashboards should be film critics...they always want to tell me how I'm acting.

It's like you just really want to cause flames, or are somehow offended by my taste in music.
I'm sorry I don't have the same views as you? I'm sorry I like music that was released before I was born?
Oh is that it? We aren't allowed to have an opinion on music from before we were born? Gotcha.

What you said doesn't even make sense. It doesn't matter how much bad music is released nowadays. It doesn't make Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga better. Just like how all the bad music released in the 70s and 80s doesn't make Michael Jackson good.

Right because she was always rich and famous. Plus the fact that she was dosed to the eyeballs on drugs is somewhat of an indication that she wasn't exactly happy anyway.
I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason she was unhappy in the first place was drug use.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mainstream music discussion... So much I could/want to say about this, but I don't feel like typing up an essay about it on a thread about someone's death.

Though I will say that florence and the machine isn't pop, and this is coming from someone who despises the genre system in general.

Except she doesn't even have one good song. Neither does Amy Winehouse. It all sounds like empty boring gibberish to me. I don't understand how this stuff can be considered good music.
Yeah you're totally right, nobody finds any of their songs good.
At all.
People probably just buy it because of the fancy covers.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Plus the fact that Winehouse's debut album was anything but mainstream. She only got mainstream attention because it was good, I mean, I'm pretty sure blues wasn't exactly the most fashionable thing in 2003.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
I have yet to find a song by Amy Winehouse or Lady Gaga that I consider good, and I don't see anything wrong with the way I worded my previous statement.

So much sarcasm :(

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't like a lot of musicians that doesn't necessarily make them talentless.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
I dunno, is it really that tough to say "I don't like _______" as opposed to "_____ is bad"? You can argue it means the same thing, but to me it makes one look like an *** when they say the second, like their opinion is the only one that matters.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
It's better if you play them yourself.

I'm a violinist so... :3
Yes, it is. I play trumpet. :3

Anyway, I'm not sure if Frotaz is a bad troll or is actually being serious, but either way, he's not worth responding to.

Though I will say that florence and the machine isn't pop, and this is coming from someone who despises the genre system in general.
Haha, I've always thought of Her + Them as baroque pop, if that makes sense. I hate shoehorning bands into a genre as well, but hey, when people ask what it's like, it's good to have a point of reference.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
You can't say music isn't good or that an artist doesn't have good songs, regardless of how bad you think they are.
Exactly.

I can say the mona lisa is a horrible painting. Does that make it bad? No.

Sure you can....as long as you don't expect what you say to be taken as fact.
Uhh, you're expressing it as a fact.

"lady gaga is bad" = fact.
"i think lady gaga is bad" = opinion.

there's a difference.

I hate shoehorning bands into a genre as well, but hey, when people ask what it's like, it's good to have a point of reference.
I agree, which is why I still use them, reluctantly.
I wish there was a better system. :c

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Uhh, you're expressing it as a fact.

"lady gaga is bad" = fact.
"i think lady gaga is bad" = opinion.

there's a difference.
There's really not, because there's no such thing as an objective opinion on music.

Obviously, if I say "Amy Winehouse is talentless" I'm saying that I think Amy Winehouse is talentless.

What I don't understand is why the way I'm stating things has somehow become an issue when I'm not the only one stating things in that manner. Saying that Amy Winehouse is talented is just as factual a statement as saying that she has no talent.

It's pretty pointless to approach any statement about music quality as if it's being stated objectively. It just leads to pointless flaming.

And let's be honest, even if I had preceded my previous statements with "I think", I would've gotten the exact same responses....so quit playin.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
I actually did like her music. When she just talks, she sounds worse than the Nanny, but when she actually sings, her voice transforms into this amazing jazzy blues sound.

The only thing I didn't really like is that she covered Valerie like 3 times or something. The first time was a great cover, and then she should've let it be. But on the other hand, it IS a great song.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The people in the greatest level of mourning right now are the drug dealers of Camden.

Their profits are going to nosedive.

-Jumpman-

Smash Champion
I actually did like her music. When she just talks, she sounds worse than the Nanny, but when she actually sings, her voice transforms into this amazing jazzy blues sound.

The only thing I didn't really like is that she covered Valerie like 3 times or something. The first time was a great cover, and then she should've let it be. But on the other hand, it IS a great song.
Get your jazz straight.

Also, I don't really give a **** about her. She hasn't produced decent music in years, I won't be missing her screwing over my news.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
The people in the greatest level of mourning right now are the drug dealers of Camden.

Their profits are going to nosedive.
And now they're going to mourn by listening to some Amy Winehouse.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
I still don't understand the hate for Justin Bieber. I'm just indifferent to him, I'm not keen on his songs but at least he can actually sing, which is more than people like Kesha can say.

My theory is that if aren't old enough to remember Mmm Bop by Hanson then you hate Justin, but if you are old enough to remember it then Justin isn't new to you and you've seen it all before so you're probably indifferent to him.

:phone:

Palpi

Smash Hero
Justin has some talent, but very little. He has an alright voice, he is instrumentally sub par, and he can dance...and looks good doing it. For a pop artist, that is all you need so whatever. I don't agree with all of the hate, but I can understand some of it, especially when their are ridiculously talented song writers, and musicians out there going no where.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't like a lot of musicians that doesn't necessarily make them talentless.
This. There's a reason why some musicians are mainstream while others are stuck performing locally at a pub or out of their parents' garage. It's not necessarily due to a lack of exposure, either.

I managed to claw my way out of my musical hermitage to listen to Amy Winehouse's cover of Valerie. I have to say that I was quite pleased. Definitely maintained the integrity of the song (which is important for covers) while putting her own spin on it. I'm probably going to sit down and listen to some of her other stuff later on today so if that sampling was any hint at her talent, I may actually pick up a song or two from the Zune Marketplace or something and posthumously give her my support.

It's a shame. Nowhere near as poignant and heart-wrenching as other world events (Norway slaughter comes to mind), but it's sad to see someone like this who had a lot of talent splurge on self-destruction. I can see the tragedy of an addict from an objective standpoint---not all of them are aware that they even have a better set of alternatives to start with. It's just hard for me to go any deeper than this when extending my sympathies, partially because of my personal experiences on the outside-looking-in with addicts (alcoholism, specifically) and my desire to keep informed on just about damn near everything. It's tough to get inside the head of an addict when you aren't one.

Smooth Criminal

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
I still don't understand the hate for Justin Bieber. I'm just indifferent to him, I'm not keen on his songs but at least he can actually sing, which is more than people like Kesha can say.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's not what the picture is pointed at.

It's the fact that a 'good voice' is super overrated and shouldn't be the defining factor in whether or not you like someone's music. Especially when that's all their music is... A good voice.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
I'm not sure who you are to decide what should or not be good reasons for someone else to like a musician. What SHOULD be a defining factor in liking someone's music, in your perspective? Is a cappella music valueless? After all, that is quite literally only "good voice/s"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0pOGyW7D2k ugh worthless trash

Also, what does "overrated" mean in the context of the music itself? Nothing. Something being overrated/underrated is irrelevant to the actual sounds coming out of the speaker.

Bieber got so famous in the first place because of his voice. A good voice may not be important to you, but it is what the majority of casual music fans listen to. All the club girls and pre-teens are not listening to the chord progressions and instrumental aspects of these songs. They are listening to the hooks and choruses.

I also think an exceptional singing voice is a little more valuable and less common as you are making it out to be. There are plenty of fine singers in the world, but you are kidding yourself if you think Bieber's voice and the manner he uses it in is something anybody in the world can do.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Well he's a singer, and he can sing, so I don't really see where all the personal hate towards him comes from.

Justin Bieber gets a lot more hate than "I don't like his music" for reasons I can't understand. I don't like his music, but I don't hate him, seeing as though he can actually sing.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
luigitoilet, i like how all of your arguments boil down to me not being able to decide correctly what i believe music should be and you obviously have a better view point just because.

and justin bieber got famous because of usher, btw. No other reason.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
"He got famous off of Youtube!"

"He doesn't write his own lyrics!"

"His songs are dumb!"

"He sounds like a girl!"

That's all I see out of people whenever they mention Justin Bieber. The kid's famous for a reason. He is obviously doing something right.

Do I like him as a singer/songwriter? No. I'll give him a modicum amount of respect, though, out of his immense success.

Smooth Criminal

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
He does write (or at least co-write) his own songs.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
I don't know anything about what the kid does or doesn't do, Spelt. This is just what I'm hearing.

I don't care to go out of my way to learn about an artist I don't really listen to. Like I said, I'm just gonna respect the fact that he's making bank off of his talent.

Smooth Criminal

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
luigitoilet, i like how all of your arguments boil down to me not being able to decide correctly what i believe music should be and you obviously have a better view point just because.

and justin bieber got famous because of usher, btw. No other reason.
You are completely misreading me. If you don't feel like debating with me, just say so, don't pull the "oh you just think you're better than me" card like everyone does. I'm trying to talk about music. If you don't want to have a serious conversation about it then that's cool.

I'm asking you why someone can't find true value in music because of vocals.You are the one suggesting that people should be listening to reason for some specific reason, and that vocals do not qualify. I'm asking you what that arbitrary reason is to you.

I was also wondering what you meant by "overrated"? Why is a good voice "overrated"? Does that mean having any sort of musical skill is "overrated" as well?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's not what i'm saying at all.
You're like one step away from directly insulting my intelligence.

If that's how you want to argue then fine, but i'd prefer to leave that crap for tier list and tournament results threads.

If you can bring up a viable point without somehow implying i'm a lesser person for it, then i'd be happy to type up a legitimate reply.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Whaaa? I'm seriously confused now. You are either really sensitive, or I have aspergers. Where did I insult you? You said yourself that you think that I have a superiority complex and I think my music taste is inherently better. I just said you misread me, and that it seems like you don't want to actually debate this because you just said one more sentence.

There's really no need to make this as dramatic as it's becoming.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
Lol that's what I was thinking LT. I'm sitting here thinking "All this because I said I don't see where all the hate for Bieber comes from?".

Top Bottom