• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Amy Winehouse Dead At 27

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
That is a good point.

Palpi

Smash Hero
DAMMIT I WAS JUST GOING BUY MY TICKETS FOR HER NEXT TOUR!

:awesome:

Honestly, our news covers enough horrible things that make Americans thrive off fear, so...I don't really care about coverage of the Norwar bombing, taking action and helping matters, not news :/

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
How can you help with the Norwegian attack? They're a rich country, they'll be able to handle it themselves. You can give them your sorrow over what happened but there's not much countries can do to help that the can't already to themselves.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Shame she's dead, not a shock, though. Never heard Frank, but I dug Back to Black. She was a talented and honest mainstream artist, which is damn rare today.

As Phil Ochs apparently claimed; "death is such a big part of the American scene right now". News coverage of this is going to go on for weeks (latest update: She's still dead!), her record label is going to make a few million off a dead woman's name, and a good group of other artists will probably record half-arsed songs in her memory for a buck. Nrrr.

In other news, as of now, Wikipedia refuses to include Miss Winehouse in with the 'core' 27 Club members. Wonder what the criteria for fitting in with Joplin or Jones is?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
How can you help with the Norwegian attack? They're a rich country, they'll be able to handle it themselves. You can give them your sorrow over what happened but there's not much countries can do to help that the can't already to themselves.
Yeah, as terrible as it was, it's no natural disaster; you can't exactly 'help' with terrorist attacks. But I agree with LT, Amy Winehouse is nobody important and never was imo.

Palpi

Smash Hero
All I'm saying is, news should stop feeding off fear, and obviously the terror in Norway takes precedence over Amy winehouse though.

:phone:

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
DAMMIT I WAS JUST GOING BUY MY TICKETS FOR HER NEXT TOUR!

:awesome:

Honestly, our news covers enough horrible things that make Americans thrive off fear, so...I don't really care about coverage of the Norwar bombing, taking action and helping matters, not news :/
What an ignorant thing to say.

News outlets should be delivering NEWS, not sensationalism and celebrity gossip.

You may not want to hear about actually significant events that are happening worldwide, but to imply that journalism should just ignore that and instead focus on some drug addict who died from their vice (this happens every single day by the way) is absolutely disgusting.

I understand what you're getting at with fearmongering but holy ****, you couldn't have stated it in a dumber and more offensive way.

"the news is too negative, they should only report on things that won't make the public scared, regardless of what the reality of the world is"

so what? does this mean that it shouldn't be reported? does this mean that amy winehouse deserves to be front-page news in lieu of the Oslo bombings/shootings?

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
All I'm saying is, news should stop feeding off fear, and obviously the terror in Norway takes precedence over Amy winehouse though.

:phone:
The news should be relevant and important, regardless of the content. The Norway bombings/shootings are far more relevant and important on a global scale than Amy Winehouse.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
(just continuing my thoughts)

200 or more drug addicts probably just died in the interim of my last post and this one.

Does that honestly effect your life? Sure, if you or a family member/close friend happen to be a big drug addict or have died from drugs, it does in some fashion. However, no matter what, that will never ever ever evr be on the same level and sheer scale of the national terrorism that was displayed in Norway this week. I am saying this as someone whose ENTIRE family is nearly crippled by various forms of drug addiction. Yes, it's sad Amy Winehouse died. It's tragic. BUT

The attacks in Norway are not only meaningful to the family of lost ones there, it is directly related to the whole developed world, ESPECIALLY the US. To be so willingly ignorant on the basis of comfort is seriously disturbing. How is Amy Winehouse dying of any relevance to your every day life? How is political terrorism of any relevance to your daily life? I don't know if the people who are arguing this stuff aren't from the US or London (both of which have suffered major terrorist attacks in the last decade) or if they are just very young or naive or WHAT, but it's scary.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
If you really don't care about her death stop talking about it.
and if you really do care about the bombings start talking about them instead.

simple solution.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
1. Addiction is a severe illness. People self-medicate with alcohol and drugs as a way of coping with deep-seated emotional problems. Over time, the chemicals erode what remains of their lives. No one actively chooses to become an addict.

2. The U.S. news media is sensationalist. It pulls **** like this all the time. Even the people complaining about it on the Internet are boosting their hit counts and ratings. I think, at this point, if you want to stay informed (and you live in the U.S.), you'll have to go out of your way to find the information yourself. Don't rely on what CNN or NBC tells you.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Neither story matters because an Australian just won Le Tour De France.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
She probably OD'd on purpose to get into the prestigeous 27 club.

Like Ben Kenobi, she will only become more powerful in death than we could ever imagine.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Actually she has been "dead" for quite a long time now. She just "officially" died yesterday but she wasn't really alive anymore before that either.

Edit: Also, calling her a "talented" musician is a blatant insult to all the musicians out there that actually *are* talented.

:059:

Palpi

Smash Hero
What an ignorant thing to say.

News outlets should be delivering NEWS, not sensationalism and celebrity gossip.

You may not want to hear about actually significant events that are happening worldwide, but to imply that journalism should just ignore that and instead focus on some drug addict who died from their vice (this happens every single day by the way) is absolutely disgusting.

I understand what you're getting at with fearmongering but holy ****, you couldn't have stated it in a dumber and more offensive way.

"the news is too negative, they should only report on things that won't make the public scared, regardless of what the reality of the world is"

so what? does this mean that it shouldn't be reported? does this mean that amy winehouse deserves to be front-page news in lieu of the Oslo bombings/shootings?
When I said I don't care about the coverage of the norway bombing, I didn't mean to imply that I think it shouldn't be covered or isn't important, because ignorance is bliss, believe me, I do not condone ignorance. I was merely saying that I don't care for arguing what should get more coverage, amy whinehouse or norway. (ratings are ratings :/)I obviously understand that Norway is more important for what you said, drug addicts die everyday, and terror effects the world, I was more so attacking other news, and these were just 2 examples, that came off very wrong. :/

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Actually she has been "dead" for quite a long time now. She just "officially" died yesterday but she wasn't really alive anymore before that either.

Edit: Also, calling her a "talented" musician is a blatant insult to all the musicians out there that actually *are* talented.

Amy had a fantastic voice at the very least. I don't know if she wrote her music or not but it's fine music. It's not like we're talking about Rebecca Black here. Amy Winehouse was a fairly respected musician/artist, regardless of the public perception of her private life. It's just needlessly insulting to trash her personal life AND her artistic output a day after she died.

edit:

Why are you asking me that? I never even implied that.
It's implied because of the conversation you were responding to. We were talking about the coverage of Norway bombings compared to Amy Winehouse, and you said something about not being able to help Norway. That's totally unrelated, but the context implied that you were responding to the conversation at hand.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988

Are you serious?

Amy may have been a drug addicted tramp but her voice was amazing and there's absolutely no denying her vocal and musical talent.

Pluvia

Hates Semicolons<br>;
It's implied because of the conversation you were responding to. We were talking about the coverage of Norway bombings compared to Amy Winehouse, and you said something about not being able to help Norway. That's totally unrelated, but the context implied that you were responding to the conversation at hand.
Actually he was talking about coverage and helping. I responded to the helping part, I never said anything about coverage.

Rici

I think I just red myself
BRoomer
NNID
Riciardos
Gheb_01 said:
Yeah she definitely got famous for her smoking hot looks.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Teran, I am denying it.
She sucked pretty bad.

Her voice was pretty average and her lyrics tended to be unintelligible and boring.
Those qualities combine to make a large amount of suck.

Luigitoilet

shattering perfection
BRoomer
Pop music was so much better back in the 90s/00s. I miss the delicate sensual sensibilities of New Kids on the Block, Spice Girls, and Backstreet Boys

honestly, pop music today isn't any worse than it was at any point in time. It's just that as time goes on, people forget about the song of the week pop songs and remember all the best stuff. There is a ton of great pop music out nowadays, I think it is a huge improvement over the pop scene of the past 20 years. At least the majority of today's pop stars write their own songs, and generally experiment with other sounds/genres a lot more than ever before. To not like Amy Winehouse is one thing, to write her off as talentless garbage is another. There is a big difference between Ke$hia and Amy Winehouse. Winehouse's music has sincerity, it's soulful, it's the blues. Ke$hia is manufactured metallic shiny pop noise. They are both mainstream artists but the music is world's difference in quality and content.

frotaz37

Smash Lord
Winehouse's music has sincerity, it's soulful, it's the blues.
You have a rich celebrity who can afford to party all day and all night , and she's singing the blues.
There's nothing sincere or soulful about that.
Also, people with good singing voices are so much more common than most seem to think. They are so abundant that "having a good voice" is sort of an empty praise. I hear the same thing about Lady Gaga, who also sucks.

Pop music was the best when Michael Jackson was alive (and black). It's been downhill ever since.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
You have a rich celebrity who can afford to party all day and all night , and she's singing the blues.
There's nothing sincere or soulful about that.
Also, people with good singing voices are so much more common than most seem to think. They are so abundant that "having a good voice" is sort of an empty praise. I hear the same thing about Lady Gaga, who also sucks.

Pop music was the best when Michael Jackson was alive (and black). It's been downhill ever since.
I must say. That when you don't argue with me, and respond with pointless BS. I agree with you.

Amusing, right?

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
I hear the same thing about Lady Gaga, who also sucks.

Pop music was the best when Michael Jackson was alive (and black).
Huh? I actually enjoy Gaga; her music is generally more interesting and less bland than other pop artists, and the videos that I've seen for her songs are usually good.

Also, I love the fact that you're acting like you were alive back in MJ's day and able to make a sweeping generalization that ignores all of the bad artists of that, or any generation.

On a side note, Florence + the Machine poops on other pop.

Alien Vision

Smash Ace
Huh? I actually enjoy Gaga; her music is generally more interesting and less bland than other pop artists, and the videos that I've seen for her songs are usually good.

Also, I love the fact that you're acting like you were alive back in MJ's day and able to make a sweeping generalization that ignores all of the bad artists of that, or any generation.

On a side note, Florence + the Machine poops on other pop.
May we all live in solitude, and be given grace to support our entitlement as an individual with different perspectives.

Hoo ra!

Top Bottom