• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Am I the only one who plays Friendly Fire Off?

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I like it off when I play friendly's but not for tourny play or alot of things are unfair.

Ochobobo

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1075-1052-5472
Of course you're not the only casual player to have it off. The reason it's on for competitive play is that it takes more skill than merely spamming an attack regardless of which other characters around you.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I think it's better on. Mostly because with it off you can just spam and recklessly throw attacks everywhere, while it's so much more fun (and harder) to have to develop strategies that work well with two characters, and then actually put them to use without killing your team-mate.

But yeah, I'm sure you're not the only one. And that link doesn't take me to anything...but this here is the Official SBR Recommended Ruleset, for singles and doubles.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=187736

UncleSam

Smash Master
I play FF off with my friends, I don't mind them spamming, I can easily find ways around it, other than that I try to play FF off but I seriously don't care too much

Scott!

Smash Lord
And while this rule takes away some strategies of stupid amounts of spamming, it opens up a few new ones, especially with characters like G&W or Ness and Lucas. G&W can absorb a teammate's strong projectile to fill his Oil Panic move, and Ness and Lucas can be healed by a teammate with a projectile.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
It's annoying getting the same replies over and over again.
No, you're not the only one that likes to play with FF off.
Board Closed?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Team Attacks are usually disabled when I play. Makes it so that none of your teammates can KO you by mistake. Besides, KOing teammates equals a Self-Destruct, which would hurt your team.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Aquafever said:
There is really nothing else to hear about this topic.
Then why do you keep coming back?

On-topic: I've also heard that having team attack off opens avenues of abuse that make play downright stupid, and that's why it's kept on.

Someguy13

Smash Cadet
I play with team attack off. Its more fun and makes it more interesting when you have to watch that you and your partner don't KO each other.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Why play with Team Attack off...? o_o
No, really.

the tourneys that i go to we have team damage set to on so you work as a team and not fight like a FFA
Also, QFT.
If you play with FF off, that just shows you're too lazy to develop any form of strategy. And like someone else said, it's practically an FFA.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
oh Straked do you remember yesterday in the team brawl?
right, heres a little something rather funny happened, Me (Samus) + K2A (G&W) Vs. Straked (Ness or was it Mario?) + C Spker (I think) (Ness).
I don't really play team brawls so of course it was difficult for me as I am more adapt to 1 v 1s. Friendly Fire was on, stage was Battlefield. G&W was on the left trying to recover, one of the 2 (Straked or CSpyk) was about to spike him and I was intending to spike the opposing team. but when G&W did a second jump or upB, I was already in the spiking animation so I ended up spiking my own teammate. the other guy on the oppsing team stood on the other side of the stage laughing his *bleep* off.

Conspiricy

Smash Journeyman
Roses are red, Violets are blue, I'm online, Brawl
oh Straked do you remember yesterday in the team brawl?
right, heres a little something rather funny happened, Me (Samus) + K2A (G&W) Vs. Straked (Ness or was it Mario?) + C Spker (I think) (Ness).
I don't really play team brawls so of course it was difficult for me as I am more adapt to 1 v 1s. Friendly Fire was on, stage was Battlefield. G&W was on the left trying to recover, one of the 2 (Straked or CSpyk) was about to spike him and I was intending to spike the opposing team. but when G&W did a second jump or upB, I was already in the spiking animation so I ended up spiking my own teammate. the other guy on the oppsing team stood on the other side of the stage laughing his *bleep* off.

That has happened to me as ganondorf. Most embarresing thing ever.

(Immediatly managed to murder punch his *** back to hell though)

Exce L

Smash Apprentice
Sure, for friendly play its fine.. but if you want to develop strategy or any tactical skills you need to turn it on... otherwise its sorta like playing a free for all.

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
The first time I was skeptic at the proposal with team attack on. I was never adept to playing with partners, I was more of a solo fighter. Things would be different, I had to work on not hitting my partner and not letting him get in the way of my plans. Fortunately me and my friend didn't do that bad at Ryko's place. Since then, we've been practicing on team combinations. Now it's perfectly natural to us.

Mit

Smash Ace
I'm thinking it's because there are tons of ridiculous things you can do with it off. You could devise way too many extremely painful combos with friendly fire off, and certain combinations of characters would be found that can completely ****.

With it on it takes way more thinking and skill, and prevents really broken combos.

Meccs

@Meccs_
Ness&Ness/Ness&Lucas/Lucas&Lucas teams = yay PSI Magnet! :D
You just have to get used to FF on then it feels fine cause you can develop strategies and stuff (what everyone else said :p)

dancingfrogman

Smash Ace
Switch FC
3133 8842 3910
Friendly fire off = Grab release infinite (well, when one person is left.)

But when it's on, you have to be careful with what moves to use, as you might hurt your team mate, also, you could use weak moves on your team mate to help them recover, so with FF on, more stragedy is needed.

c3gill

Smash Ace
Ness&Ness/Ness&Lucas/Lucas&Lucas teams = yay PSI Magnet! :D
You just have to get used to FF on then it feels fine cause you can develop strategies and stuff (what everyone else said :p)
Friendly Fire rocks. Lucas+ Pikachu, Lucas + Zelda, Lucas + Falco, GIVE ME HEALTH.

or a Mr G&W, here, have a full bucket. dump it on our opponents.

Friendly Fire lets us create cool strategy in doubles. It needs to stay.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
with Team Attack off, team projectiles are way too good. This actually not so evident in Brawl, but it is very noticeable in Melee. Falco + Samus on Teams without Friendly fire is madness.

Project D

Smash Journeyman
yeah it makes it more challenging thus giving the fun aspect, and then you find yourself going "whoops" grabbing your own teammate or accidently spiking your own teammate then you go "ah *bleep*", just makes it funnier else e.g. a sword will just go through your teammate's head with no reaction.
or else if it was off, then you could rack damage up, teammate grab, use an attack like DK's Punch, Marth's Neutral B and strike only the opponent but not your teammate.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
That was extremely uncalled for. I simply questioned why friendly fire was considered tourney play. You really need to watch your mouth and read the full post next time. It seems I already got my answer.
Actually he was agreeing with your way and being a prat to everyone else.

Something else that no one's mentioned yet, your ally got knocked away but is just too far away after using his UP-B to make it back, so you hit him with a weak projectile (IE, Falco, Ness, ect) and then he can make it back.

SpongeBathBill

Smash Ace
Something else that no one's mentioned yet, your ally got knocked away but is just too far away after using his UP-B to make it back, so you hit him with a weak projectile (IE, Falco, Ness, ect) and then he can make it back.
I would consider that skilled play :p

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Friendly Fire Off?

MK + MK.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.

GG.

It's hard enough stoping 1 nado. Now try two nados that cant collide with each other, rack damage on the same person twice as fast, can combo into each other (Nado at the end of one nado and repeat)

and then add on Shuttle Loop, Dsmash, Nair, and Fsmash to set up for kills afterwards.

Enjoy your MK+MK filled pools and ladders.

Erj

Smash Rookie
Hmm I usually don't play TB's. But it would suck if FF was turned on (can't spam Fox's neutral b :p) But it should be fun. I usually turn it off

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think it's better on. Mostly because with it off you can just spam and recklessly throw attacks everywhere, while it's so much more fun (and harder) to have to develop strategies that work well with two characters, and then actually put them to use without killing your team-mate.
I would argue that there is more you can do with it off since you can actually support your ally. Supporting and combining attacks is impossible with it on.

Blue Flash

Smash Apprentice
I've always left Team Attack on(why do people call it Friendly Fire?)

I never put Team Attack on, but it looks like a way to show off your true skills instead of just using your strongest moves over and over again

9Kplus1

Smash Master
Friendly Fire Off?

MK + MK.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.

GG.

It's hard enough stoping 1 nado. Now try two nados that cant collide with each other, rack damage on the same person twice as fast, can combo into each other (Nado at the end of one nado and repeat)

and then add on Shuttle Loop, Dsmash, Nair, and Fsmash to set up for kills afterwards.

Enjoy your MK+MK filled pools and ladders.
There's two players on the other team >_>. Why can't one person actually do something about one MK's nado? Unless, it's one player left on a single team, I don't see how that could happen or the stage is really, really small with room for two nados to run around.

Anyway, I always play with FF off. It's pretty ******** if both players on a team can just spam attacks around each other. FF on also adds a bit of strategy to the mix which is pretty awesome >_>. Whenever I never have any friends over, I just start a taunt party with another person on wifi (FFA with anyone) for team battle practice seeing as how there are more pro players in taunt parties than there are in actual FFA wifi with anyone. No really, taunt parties are the best practice if you've completely ran out of options; taunters are nice and they'll seek the same goal if someone tries to break up the party.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
There's two players on the other team >_>. Why can't one person actually do something about one MK's nado? Unless, it's one player left on a single team, I don't see how that could happen or the stage is really, really small with room for two nados to run around.
Because one person cant do anything about TWO Nados. Lets see you try stopping TWO nados flying right at you. You can stop one, but what about the other right behidn it?

Top Bottom