• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
So brawl tourney in April, yes?

Andy, we shall sweep teams.

Everyone must attend April tourney.

And George...X is a superior grab button to Z. I wouldn't be able to grab as much as I do if I didn't use it.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i agree with george's philosophy.
Which I originally picked up from Reflex, one of the reasons reflex is such a beast is because he has so much fun
and another example is that I'm pretty bad with Kirby in general on brawl, but me and George's double Kirby team ***** because Kirby's such a hilarious character
thats why i always **** pools in brawl because i'm just ****ing around the whole time having fun
and i've learned to do it somewhat in braackets which is why i'm doing better in tournaments
i dunno it works
which is why im probably going all falcon at the melee tourney.
well i might play some fox and marth in brackets

all I'm saying is if Snake has Captain Falcon's "Show me Your moves" taunt, he'd be the perfect character

i'm going to try to do tcs5 in april.
i'm getting kind of good at this game and I need to satisfy my tournament craving.
my april weekends are going to be tough to work with though
if i dont have one maybe you guys can convince george to have one

i never changed the controls in brawl, i just picked up the controller and started playing.
i experimented with changing C-stick to attack, in order to make it easier to do snake's tilts, but honestly it doesn't really work out that well.

i'm considering trying to play with tap jump off, but i'm scared its going to screw up my whole game.

i jump with X so remapping it is out of the question.
my mind is exploding trying to figure out how i would jump cancel grabs in melee if Z was remapped to X. Y->X? yuck

and Y is a button that I never use for anything. maybe I should try to find some use for it.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I have plenty of melee problems. Shorthopping, L-canceling, wave-dashing...but X jumping instead of grabbing totally borks me every time.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I feel like moving out of my crapartment and heading out to some random location and getting a job there. Who wants a roommate.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
my X button on brawl is remapped to B to help with shorthopped projectiles

my L button is remapped to jump to also help with that, and to help with momentum canceling

I almost never use either of these, but I cant play the game with Tap Jump on no matter what

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I am a very odd person with controls anyway. I shield with R and don't use the L trigger at all in any game.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I feel like moving out of my crapartment and heading out to some random location and getting a job there. Who wants a roommate.
i'll room with you if you pay 3/4ths of the rent. :-/

i'm brokesauce. but i reaaaaaallly need to get out of this house

j00t

Smash Champion
I'm actually looking for a roomie or 2 as well... I kinda want to move in to an apartment. :O

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
X is grab with no tap jump.

I shield with R and Jump with Y.

I tried a couple of things with L but nothing works so its still shield just in case I need it

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
default controls ftw.

also has anyone seen Sirlin's Brawl tutorial videos?

apparently Nintendo asked him to make some Brawl tutorials from a competitive standpoint.
and the videos are actually quite good for beginners
http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2008/11/9/smash-bros-brawl-tutorial-videos.html
he even gets into things like move decay, smash DI, and chaingrabs
and nintendo authorized this

this leads ppl to believe that Nintendo is starting to give a **** about the competitive scene. i'm not so sure.

SnM-Rudolph

Smash Rookie
whats up Bama i used 2 post here a looooooooooooooong time ago and do melee tourneys. i went AWOL 4 some time but now im back,also i forgot my password to my 1st acc: J.rudolph, so im going under this tag now.
im gonna be online in brawl soon. my main as of now is Olimar. is there bad lag online?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
online is pretty bad lol
but a lot of us play it because that's whats there

it deals with lag using the cavemen method of button input delay which is terrible for a fighting game

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
1. Plays Brawl
2. Joined SWF in late '08
3. I've never met him
4. I like this guy

WTF, those first three aren't supposed to go together with that last one O_o
haha thank you.
i think i was in your pool at the first tourney i ever went to. i sucked sooooo bad. i think it was vulcan 2 or something i dunno. you had a luigi.
i remember you saying "playing the lottery is like playing brawl so this whole thing doesnt matter" and thats why i remember you. i was like a free win back then.:psycho:
lol.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
Default controls. always, in fighting games.

default controls ftw.

also has anyone seen Sirlin's Brawl tutorial videos?

apparently Nintendo asked him to make some Brawl tutorials from a competitive standpoint.
and the videos are actually quite good for beginners
http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2008/11/9/smash-bros-brawl-tutorial-videos.html
he even gets into things like move decay, smash DI, and chaingrabs
and nintendo authorized this

this leads ppl to believe that Nintendo is starting to give a **** about the competitive scene. i'm not so sure.
I haven't seen them, but I'm aware that he made some. His website mentions them briefly and I don't know why they commissioned him, other than his ability to explain technical details well. Hopefully, they're better than this (although this actually has some helpful tidbits):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23WW1R7D4MY

@ 2:40: observe vintage '90s racial stereotypes in action. Frawless victoly.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I would probably be more inclined to play Melee more if the people that play it didn't mind that I wasn't very good at it, and, apparently, being a senior in high school hurts me too? I never really understood the latter.

I admit I totally suck at the game, and so I'd like to get better. I play Brawl more because I think considerably faster than I can move my fingers and I'm already used to the Classic controller. Anyways, Brawl isn't much funner/better/etc. than Melee anymore, if any. meh...

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
from what i recall, the melee community is possibly the coolest community of any sort when it comes to not giving a **** about how good someone is at the game.
like i played some SF3 with some really good guys one time, and they kicked my *** and were just like whatever
but then I play teams against dml and they're screaming pinky and brain quotes the whole time and then we go get some arbys afterwards

or at least the ATL South melee community.

and moving your fingers fast is just a matter of practice. I spent like every day for a year going to training mode practicing techs, and that's the only reason that I can even do anything in melee
and I still really can't do alot of stuff
like i phail at ledgeteching. i just can't do it for some reason.
and i can't moonwalk very well either with falcon at least. i can do it with link.

melee takes a lot of tech practice. i dont know if you can get that good simply from playing matches with people if you haven't gotten the techs down.

i feel lucky, everyone is either like man i suck, or man melee is too hard, or man brawl is stupid.

but i'm really having a lot of fun with both games right now.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
I would probably be more inclined to play Melee more if the people that play it didn't mind that I wasn't very good at it, and, apparently, being a senior in high school hurts me too? I never really understood the latter.
It's ok if you aren't that good at the game. I will play the game regardless and still treat you like a regular person regardless. Do not be scared. =D

coach

Smash Apprentice

I admit I totally suck at the game, and so I'd like to get better. I play Brawl more because I think considerably faster than I can move my fingers and I'm already used to the Classic controller. Anyways, Brawl isn't much funner/better/etc. than Melee anymore, if any. meh...
hey let's play

Majist

Smash Journeyman
I've always used the default controls, tap jumping on, shielding with L. I never touch the R button. There's no way I'd do anything to screw up my Melee game, aside from not playing it ever:urg:

j00t

Smash Champion
Aren't you the one that keeps telling me to go back to high school? :dizzy:
If there's one thing to learn about coach, it is to never take him seriously.

It's still hard for me to follow this rule, but it's a necessity when going to the apartment.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
fun fact: i main wario. i have mained wario for 4 months now. i got serious about brawl 2 or 3 months ago. i just learned last week that if you wheelie off the bike wario jumps higher. i fail at reading character boards.

i think i lose alot because i am not confident about certian matchups. if i face a sword character i crap in my pants and say "ok you take the win" i just freak out...
3god will face anyone and use wario. ive seen videos of him vs. GW's and marths i think. i can beat any character with wario... i just get reallyreally nervous with certain bad matchups. 3god doesnt. lol

teach me your ways 3god...

but then again... i did kinda pick up GW

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
from what i recall, the melee community is possibly the coolest community of any sort when it comes to not giving a **** about how good someone is at the game.
like i played some SF3 with some really good guys one time, and they kicked my *** and were just like whatever
but then I play teams against dml and they're screaming pinky and brain quotes the whole time and then we go get some arbys afterwards

or at least the ATL South melee community.

and moving your fingers fast is just a matter of practice. I spent like every day for a year going to training mode practicing techs, and that's the only reason that I can even do anything in melee
and I still really can't do alot of stuff
like i phail at ledgeteching. i just can't do it for some reason.
and i can't moonwalk very well either with falcon at least. i can do it with link.

melee takes a lot of tech practice. i dont know if you can get that good simply from playing matches with people if you haven't gotten the techs down.

i feel lucky, everyone is either like man i suck, or man melee is too hard, or man brawl is stupid.

but i'm really having a lot of fun with both games right now.

I think you're right. I neeeed to start putting in some hours learning the techs. I know that deep down, it's worth it. If there's one thing I've learned from my other games, it's that lightning doesn't generally strike twice. Just enjoy the games you do have; there's no guarantee that a future iteration will be what you want it to be.

I'm also quite happy with our little smash community. I feel that for the most part, everyone is respectful and friendly and fun to play against. You guys rock.

I've never gamed with the 3rd Strike crowd, but the online community for HD Remix has been very supportive, friendly, and constructive. Most of the really skilled players are eager to teach and trade techniques. They're a bit of an older crowd, so that may have something to do with it, but I can't say enough positive things about these people.

Dan, I don't know why you get ridiculed for being in high school. To me, that's the centerpiece of the competitive gaming demographic. Especially for a game like Smash. Coach once told me that in a certain PC RTS, players retire at 25 and I'm pretty sure he was being serious.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
fun fact: i main wario. i have mained wario for 4 months now. i got serious about brawl 2 or 3 months ago. i just learned last week that if you wheelie off the bike wario jumps higher. i fail at reading character boards.

i think i lose alot because i am not confident about certian matchups. if i face a sword character i crap in my pants and say "ok you take the win" i just freak out...
3god will face anyone and use wario. ive seen videos of him vs. GW's and marths i think. i can beat any character with wario... i just get reallyreally nervous with certain bad matchups. 3god doesnt. lol

teach me your ways 3god...

but then again... i did kinda pick up GW
i dont like reading the character boards because most people on this website are ********. but there is some useful stuff there
for me, getting better is just a series of epiphanies that greatly increase my skill immediately. like its not gradual with me, its like I dont have to grind out on enemies, i go from boss to boss and lvl up every time
like something just clicks and i get better. or someone gives me some good advice and i get better.
and going to tournaments a lot helps, and being recorded helps too
at the last tournament I realized that I'm predictable with my airdodging, which is pretty much a no-no with snake becuase he'llg et ***** in the air.
and that knowledge alone is going to make me like twice as formidable

i learn most things just from watching videos, and alotof stuff I just develop on my own.
plus i'm pretty dedicated to getting good at brawl. ask will or reflex i'm constantly asking their advice on aim lol
and I play against computers constantly just seeing if any strats manifest and to try out new techs

in other news, i'm thinking of picking up Samus. She's a beast. i've figured out how to take stocks with her. sort of

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I think you're right. I neeeed to start putting in some hours learning the techs. I know that deep down, it's worth it. If there's one thing I've learned from my other games, it's that lightning doesn't generally strike twice. Just enjoy the games you do have; there's no guarantee that a future iteration will be what you want it to be.
its satisfying for me just to have the ability to move around the stage fluidly.
i may not be able to play like the pros but I can at least look like it. :-D

Top Bottom