• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
if i had my own house id let you live with me :D
but... that wont be for like.. until i graduate college.
wanna live under my bed in my dorm room this august?

****, i wish i couldve gone to the tournament though. although im positive i wouldnt make it out of pools... like i always dont. i may write a blog sometime about how much i practice and how i always freeze up and choke and hate myself after tournaments. and how much i hate my inability to stay consistant in just about every aspect of life. espicaillly smash.
but i actually read the whole thing.
btw dittos are always win. :D
there were no pools ;)

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Watchmen ftw. I saw it last night at Madison Sqaure 12, and it was awesome.

If there's ever a good Huntsville/Madison smashfest Majist, I want to play you. I only got to play you in doubles in the Tuscaloosa tourney.
Yeah dude, i didn't get to play you or Spade last Friday /sadface. Fun times will be had.

I'm so friggin psyched about Watchmen!!! I can already taste that fried kalimari

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
critics hate watchmen and comic nerds hate it.
i guess that leaves me in the general population that likes it and isnt as comically educated as the common nerd or critic.

i mean, who really expects movies to be good nowadays anyways?
espicailly the ones in the theatre.
the soundtrack killed it for me. other than the intro song.
i thought roarshack was played geniously.
and i thought it was good.
everyone else complained that it stayed TOO true to the comics. but thats what movies about comics are right? a live action sequence of waht you read. im actually pleased someone was finally smart enough to not change **** around for the big screen.

****... so no kalm's house?

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Smashfest at my house tonight. Starts at 5:30. I've got have people leave at about 11 or 11:30-ish. (church) It's at 125 High Coach Way, in Madison. If you've got any questions, then call Moogle or Will_ for my number. I don't want to hand it out over the webs.

Andy, if you can come, please bring the cords to my Wii. :O

EDIT: Just to re-emphasize it, I dont have the cords to my Wii, so bring yours! :O

Winnar

Smash Lord
Watchmen was amazing, I don't see what's not to like? It was beautiful, pretty much true to the comics (while retaining the same feeling if not expressing it better), and was cast perfectly. What else is there in a movie adaptation of a comic book?

Oh, and nothing was censored. Finally a director with some balls. -_-

Also I thought the music choice was bizarre, though strangely fitting.

Also also the fighting was realistic enough to be interesting and makes you cringe at every hit, but just comic book enough to still be awesome to watch.

I can't think of any aspect of The Watchmen that wasn't extremely satisfying o_o

Majist

Smash Journeyman
Watchmen could not have been done much better than it was. I was very impressed with it. It followed the story very accurately and all of the characters were acted out perfectly. You all must see it, I would see it again. I want to have Rorschach's babies.

EDIT: And 'All Along the Watchtower' being played during one of the final scenes just made me want to faint. Great soundtrack.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
EDIT: And 'All Along the Watchtower' being played during one of the final scenes just made me want to faint. Great soundtrack.
Probably my favorite Hendrix track.

Maybe I should see this movie now.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its crazy how something as simple as the ability to block an attack with little lag like metaknight's d-smash, or fox's uptilt, and then f-tilting out of shield with snake can be a difference maker

because online, I really don't have the reflexes to land the ftilt in time, and as a result, matches are a lot harder than they ought to be.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I really enjoy fighting Metaknights now XD Will_ would probably still wreck me, but I have a pretty solid grasp on the matchup now and I have a lot of fun with it.

Also T1J, u-tilt as snake pretty much kills all pikmin latched onto you.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
critics hate watchmen and comic nerds hate it.
WRONG SIR

WRONG

CRITICS LOVE IT*

COMIC NERDS LOVE IT**

IDIOTS HATE IT***

* Cite: http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090304/REVIEWS/903049997
** Cite: http://wilwheaton.typepad.com/wwdnbackup/2009/02/spoiler-alert-watchmen-is-****ing-awesome.html (censor filter keeps this link from working, but the name of the link should sum up the opinion)
***Cite: http://www.debbieschlussel.com/archives/2009/03/the_watchmen_li.html

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
its crazy how something as simple as the ability to block an attack with little lag like metaknight's d-smash, or fox's uptilt, and then f-tilting out of shield with snake can be a difference maker

because online, I really don't have the reflexes to land the ftilt in time, and as a result, matches are a lot harder than they ought to be.
The other night a few of us were playing doubles at Rob's place, and I noted that Diddy can spot dodge MKs Glide attack -> Downsmash chain and grab him afterwards.

Spot dodge > Block

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I really enjoy fighting Metaknights now XD Will_ would probably still wreck me, but I have a pretty solid grasp on the matchup now and I have a lot of fun with it.

Also T1J, u-tilt as snake pretty much kills all pikmin latched onto you.
but then DanGR will grab me from across the screen during the windown lag of my uptilt lol
recently i've just been trying to block the pikmin's attacks and just jab them when i get a chance

i'm apparently the only person on this board that thinks snake beats metaknight.
especially if you learn how to not get ***** in the air, that's really the only advantage MK has.
Then again, I dont think i've ever played a really good Metaknight before. there's only like 3 of them in the country. everyone else just gets by because no one knows how to fight metaknight.
its amazing I used to ***** hard about metaknight, now I kind of want my opponents to pick him because i know the matchup.

@ munkus, it depends who you're fighting against, and who you're playing as

against olimar, i find that blocking is better than spotdoging, because he has good moves that beat the spotdodge
but i believe you can spotdodge-attack quicker than you can block-attack, so in general its better, you just have to predict an attack
you can't spam spot dodge like you can spam block, that's the key difference.

Diddy's spot dodge is weird. it comes out really fast, and lasts long...but sometimes it lasts too long

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I wish the set between me and HRnut was recorded, or even our friendlies. They really show how it's 50/50.

Approaching snake is tough, but when you get the first hit in you force him to play guessing games for a stock(or he lands and is safe). Keeping him in the air and stopping him from landing is easier than I thought. It's getting him in that position in the first place that's the tough part. I've juggled nut's snake for a two stock on battlefield in a winner's bracket set, and he's a **** good snake. The match right after he almost two stocks me on FD, and when the stage can tilt the match that far either way it's usually because the matchup is close.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
the entire snake/MK matchup is decided by whether or not snake can stay on the ground

if your victory depends on you mindgaming your opponent, that says more about the player than the character/matchup.

snake's pretty bad in the air, but I've realized you basically just have to get to the ground asap. Unless youre Ally who does all kind of soft throw grenade--falling upair and random **** that ppl fall for for some reason

MK like to either spam upair/fair (which is pretty easily airdodged depending on how high you are), up-b, which i have bad reflexes and die to a lot...but high in the air you can pull out a grenade and gimp MKs that like to do this, or mind game you in to getting grabbed, which is something you really learn to avoid after having it done to you over and over again.

pulling out a grenade while in the air, takes away nearly all of his aerial options...but then he'll just try to grab you as you fall, but you have a grenade in your hand...

i dunno, snake has options, and once he gets to the ground, its overwith.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
what is hell.... what the hell....

never have I seen so much failure packed into such a small amount of time

Will_

Smash Journeyman
what is hell.... what the hell....

never have I seen so much failure packed into such a small amount of time
lmao agreed. especially the girugamesh kid.

@T1J: MK's should know how to get into snake and keep him off the stage. That's him knowing the matchup. Same with Snakes knowing how to camp MK and how to punish his approach.

And the MK player always has to keep a mental note on what options snake has left while he's in the air. Like remembering the amount of bullets left in your opponent's clip in a firefight, I have to think about whether or not he has his DJ left, where the C4 is if he dropped it, if he can reach the ledge just by DI'ing towards it if he's off the stage, etc.. As the fight continues you note which tactics he favors most.

What I mean to say by the above is that the fight is one big mindgame. The chance for victory is left largely to the players themselves--which is the definition of a 50/50 matchup.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i thought ally was from britain. or england. or one of those countries that talks like they are from harry potter.

i think AL is a pretty strong state. if not one of the best at smash. i may be wrong. but i feel it.

i wanna get a new slam hat. im not sure if i should. ive had this one for a long time and purple is my color. :D

Will_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah AL is pretty ****. I think we'd win crews against a huge number of states.

I just saw the Dojo vs. M2K 2 stock...**** was inspiring. When comparing myself to them(lol) I see that I lack consistency, edgeguarding techniques and overall experience. And my SDI sucks.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Tournament placings have hardly been one-sided, and I live in this state. We've got to be at least pretty good, right?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
AL is a strong state.

Reflex and Will_ are the only people that really get to travel out of state on a consistent basis, and they generally do well. and people like George and moogle and munkus are on par with them, so its only reasonable to assume that they'd do well in out of state tourneys as well

we're not nationally recognized but we're definitely a strong state. i mean, what other state is even competitive? FL, TX, CA, and random ppl in the east coast thats like it.

Top Bottom