• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Going to go ahead and pack, they're wanting me to stay the night there and my brother will just drop money off. IF that is okay with Russ

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
there was just too much biased hate twords mk. its just taboo.

its kind of pathetic how small the amount of people in this community who actually think for themselves are.

ban may have been the right decision but i cant help but assume it was made by wrong or immature or ignorant reasonings.

either way we are now even scrubbier than we once seemed to other communities. may as well go all out.
its not biased, metaknight is overpowered and broken. that's a fact.

its just that that's not really a good reason in and of itself to ban a character. in my opinion. but i can definitely sympathize with people who think he should be banned because he has NO counters. something with no counters is non-competitive by definition.

but as mentioned this will have nothing but positive benefits for the community. more people will attend tournaments (go read the ban discussion you'll find TONS of people saying "oh cool now i'll come to tournamensts") and there will be more diversity in results. that's pretty much a fact.

i'm for it if only just to see how it will work out

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i mean he has moves that counter his moves.
like idk shield grab counters his dtilt or something lol
but thats just being really specific. but thats what a counter would be like in SF or something where they dont counter stages and stuff right?

idk. either way im kinda glad i got a head start on picking up a new main.

and idk. things could backfire. i wouldnt say it will have ONLY positive effects.
it could results in only high tiers becoming the only viable characters in the game.

i wanna see a new tier list though, thatd be fun : p

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
its almost guaranteed that ally will dominate this game with snake now, so i imagine snake will move to number 1 solely because of that.. ddd's going to come back. rob's going to come up. marth i predict will be 2. even though he should probably be 1

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
MK wasn't broken. He was just reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally good.

He was just so damn good he was near unstoppable. But he was not broken.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It's interesting to hear that people can't think for themselves when it's something that the accusing party doesn't agree with.

Hi Ryker!

:phone:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
RYKER

HOLY HELL YOU BETTER READ THIS

MK IS BANNED

So I'm taking you to RAIIIIIIIIIIINBOW GOD**** CRUISE HAHAHAHAA

Find a secondary now
Dude, if that set isn't played completely on FD, someone is afraid. I'll play you on RCruise. LEGGO!

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
It's interesting to hear that people can't think for themselves when it's something that the accusing party doesn't agree with.

Hi Ryker!

:phone:
its not the fact that i dont agree with it that moves me to say that.
if you cant agree that metaknight was really really taboo, then idk where youve been.
i mean, theres been broken characters in other games that got banned, but i dont feel like you will ever ever ever hear a community whine about them pre-ban, as much as we did with mk. and alot of it was ignorant whining.
"lol press b and win"
more people in the community had the abovementioned mindset then an enlightened one. even if they arent amazing players, there are still more of them, they were clearly the majority in the pro-ban cause. not the cream of the crop but they were still there.

also agree with what mahg said.
broken means you defy the game's physics. like its a flaw in the game that the character is in there and there is basically no zip zero chance to win against him. like he is flawed in some way that can be uterly abused and destroy the entire game.
"breaking the game" = "broken"
literally making the game unplayable
metaknight had none of this he was just a really good character. show me where mk has a zero frame move or a move that would reset your percent damage back down to zero or something or a move where he can pull out bombs that will kill you at 20 percent or something.

the term "broken" gets thrown around so much people get desensitized to its real value.

exageratted, taboo. i wouldnt say these are faulty traits of mk in this community. i dont care, he got banned, whatever, he got banned here like a month ago and i did all my whining then. i have opinions of the relationship between metaknight and the community and i also just happen to be against the ban, here i was talking about the relationship part.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
its not the fact that i dont agree with it that moves me to say that.
if you cant agree that metaknight was really really taboo, then idk where youve been.
i mean, theres been broken characters in other games that got banned, but i dont feel like you will ever ever ever hear a community whine about them pre-ban, as much as we did with mk. and alot of it was ignorant whining.
"lol press b and win"
more people in the community had the abovementioned mindset then an enlightened one. even if they arent amazing players, there are still more of them, they were clearly the majority in the pro-ban cause. not the cream of the crop but they were still there.

also agree with what mahg said.
broken means you defy the game's physics. like its a flaw in the game that the character is in there and there is basically no zip zero chance to win against him. like he is flawed in some way that can be uterly abused and destroy the entire game.
"breaking the game" = "broken"
literally making the game unplayable
metaknight had none of this he was just a really good character. show me where mk has a zero frame move or a move that would reset your percent damage back down to zero or something or a move where he can pull out bombs that will kill you at 20 percent or something.

the term "broken" gets thrown around so much people get desensitized to its real value.

exageratted, taboo. i wouldnt say these are faulty traits of mk in this community. i dont care, he got banned, whatever, he got banned here like a month ago and i did all my whining then. i have opinions of the relationship between metaknight and the community and i also just happen to be against the ban, here i was talking about the relationship part.
The thing is, if you cross reference the poll results with the top players in the game with checks at top 5, top 10, top 25, top 50, top 75, and top 100, then the ratio of votes remained the same. About 75% to 25% in favor of banning him. If you only accept votes from the cream of the crop, it stays the same.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
IDK but MK wasn't broken. He was almost there but he wasn't.

My idea of broken is like Kiba and the puppet guy in Naruto Shippuden: Clash of Ninja Revolution 3. If you played them decently enough you we're untouchable. I'm talking literally untouchable and the match would end in about 10 seconds.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Sasori was bannable. Kiba was not.

Feel content in the knowledge that your definition is, thankfully, different from the majority of SWF.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
The thing is, if you cross reference the poll results with the top players in the game with checks at top 5, top 10, top 25, top 50, top 75, and top 100, then the ratio of votes remained the same. About 75% to 25% in favor of banning him. If you only accept votes from the cream of the crop, it stays the same.
what do you mean? how are you finding out how people voted?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont know how we've decided who gets to define the word "broken",
maybe its has to mean Akuma air fireballs that the game was clearly not designed to be able to deal with.

or maybe it means having such a ridiculously safe and unpunishable moveset to the point where the only way you can lose is if your opponent has a extremely legit soul read on you (or unless you're just bad)

but the fact of the matter is that metaknight was so good to the point of making the game less competitive. i dont think this is disputable. I think this is really lame and honestly anyone who cares about competitive gaming should as well, but as said, probably not worth a ban (in and of itself).
the community has decided that's a bad thing. it's not a "right" or "wrong" conclusion, but that's the one that was made.

rhan

Smash Hero
A few pages lattteeee buuttttttt:

If in Pensacola you are and Melee you want, then call me you should. Mobile plays Melee and we meet up every Sunday. Give me a call.

(251) 401-6806
I got your number. I can probably come to AL sometime after the 15th of this month when I get some money together. GF flew down this weekend and I'm pretty much back to broke now.. lol

We congregate in one group and one SECRET group. The former is the Alabama Smash League, and the latter is GA Smash.

If you give me your name, I can invite you to both.
Turhan Anderson.
http://www.facebook.com/lilrhan12

I only ask cuz my hometown scene had a facebook smash scene and so does FL. Plus I use facebook a lt more then I do SWF.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
what do you mean? how are you finding out how people voted?
In the MK ban thread DeLux (who was backed by other URC members) brought that up when someone tried to use the very same argument. Said they cross referenced the Who Voted list with top players down to 100 at certain checks and the ratio stayed constant within a deviation of 3%.

Twinster

Smash Cadet
Conversation between me and M2K:
[You]
So who are you going to play now that MK is banned?
[Jason Zimmerman]
i raelly am quittin
reallyam*
i do not enjoy brawl outside of mk
even tho im good enough to still make money regardless it is just not worth it, itd barely be profitable, and would not be fun to me either
[You]
Oh okay.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
lol @ "being more competitive" so the number one player in the world deciding to quit. they dont go together.

i heard naiiiro is quitting too. actually i think mostly all the good mk's are quitting cuz they think the game is rubbish outside of mk.
you can look at that as a good thing (which is prolly what yall are doing) "yay we can be noticed more noiw tHEE spots R OPennnn NooO More NOOBS GeTInG UnDeSerVED RESPK 4 UISng MK?>!!!!!!"
or you can look at that as a bad thing "all the good/top players are quitting"

also you cant say it is a good thing for the community and it makes the game more competitive that mk is banned and then go on to say that there is no "right" or "wrong" thing to do in this situatuion. clearly banning him would be optimal with your logic. also we have no way of knowing how it is going to effect gameplay. all of what you are saying is assumptions from a pro-ban perspective.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
lol @ "being more competitive" so the number one player in the world deciding to quit. they dont go together.

i heard naiiiro is quitting too. actually i think mostly all the good mk's are quitting cuz they think the game is rubbish outside of mk.
you can look at that as a good thing (which is prolly what yall are doing) "yay we can be noticed more noiw tHEE spots R OPennnn NooO More NOOBS GeTInG UnDeSerVED RESPK 4 UISng MK?>!!!!!!"
or you can look at that as a bad thing "all the good/top players are quitting"

also you cant say it is a good thing for the community and it makes the game more competitive that mk is banned and then go on to say that there is no "right" or "wrong" thing to do in this situatuion. clearly banning him would be optimal with your logic. also we have no way of knowing how it is going to effect gameplay. all of what you are saying is assumptions from a pro-ban perspective.
That's their choice. Whether or not the game is still fun is up to each individual. They could choose to pick up another character, or they can quit.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The evidence is on our side as to whether it will be better.

I've seen more people say I'm interested in this game now than I quit.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor

or you can look at that as a bad thing "all the good/top players are quitting".

banning a character is lame
a character being broken is also lame.

there's no way to objectively decide which one is more lame. thats why there's no "right" or "wrong" choice. you just make a choice and go with it.
if you ban the character, you make your community look like scrubby ****ies to outsiders and some insiders
if you don't ban the character you have a a restless community, and a less competitive game
who's to say which one is worse?

"all the good top players are quitting" is clearly an exaggeration. most of the top brawl players are vocally pro-ban.
maybe it's more accurate to say that "all of the people who got by by outgaying people with metaknight and aren't actually that good at the game and don't actually want to learn how to play the game are quitting" in which case. i don't have a problem with that.

that was mean i guess. but that is SUPER ANNOYING to me. that since you cany play a clearly broken character with almost no weaknesses you all of a sudden hate the game. **** that. that's silly and obnoxious and you should have never joined this community to begin with if thats your mindset.

also, ally has always been a better player than M2K in brawl. m2k just played a character that was a hard counter to ally's best

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
reading your posts is like scratching nails on a chalkboard, kevin.

more people attending tournaments does not make the game more competitive ryker.
metaknight was not broken. youre lame if you use that term and i am disegarding your entire post because the whole post is only exageratting metaknight.
is it hard to believe that some people like playing a character? or is EVERYONE just one of those whiny *****es "lol u only lyke 2 play with HimMB BECause hE iS XCCHEAAP!!"

mk was clearly the most advanced character in the game.
people prolly just dont want to use characters they dont have fun with. its not that they are quiting because they cant outgay people anymore kevin you are so annoying. say they ban every character you like in brawl, you arent going to keep going to tournaments if you enjoy no other characters. not everyone has multiple characters they enjoy. i enjoy playing with 2 characters. metaknight and ddd. why waste your time and money so you can not enjoy yourself to please other people?

cant believe ppl are stil QQQQQQQQQQQQQQQQing over metaknights brokeness. stop mentioning it. stop making it the center of all of your posts

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
you just have childish logic, kevin. i know you pride yourself in the area of debate or w/e but i dont know why.
i think youve been told that before on here.
its like some annoying little kid yelling the same obvious thing over and over again.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
* If more people are learning the game, I think that more competitors would lead to the game becoming more competitive.
* I'm pretty confident in saying that most top players are not quitting. Most of the top mk players that i can think of play multiple characters (Ally, Tyrant, Atomsk, Rain, Seibrik, Anti, Judge) just to name a few. As far as I know, Nairo hasnt played in awhile, so his quitting isn't a recent occurence.
* I personally think MK was too good. It was a culmination of very good attributes that made mk raw
~Frame data, Recovery, and his ability to put pressure on his opponent was just crazy good
I understand where you are coming from Austin. You don't want anyone to belittle your skill level, just because you played mk. To be competent at this game you have to understand how to play and be able to read your opponent. However, I feel like mk was a big fall back character for many players. I personally don't think mk takes a lot of time to learn/pick up, but that's just my opinion (along with everything i've said in this post).
anyways*** about AUSOM4. Does anyone want money matches? I'll play diddy and wolf in money matches, so if anyone is interested PLZ LET ME KNOW!

Top Bottom