• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

_Keno_

Smash Lord
What if the BBR-RC decides to ban Meta Knight in the Unity Ruleset?
That doesn't make MK mains any less disadvantaged. Its fair that everyone should change mains.

Obviously nobody can force anyone else (or even want to), but if the MK mains complain and you feel guilty about them having to change mains, you can too.

I'm going sheik/zelda for singles but peach for doubles (and possibly falcon).

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i still really cant believe you guys are just telling me to spam and ill win online.
its not that bad...

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i wouldn't even feel that much of a handicap if i was forced to play a different character. unless like i was forced to play ganon, lucario or lucas, or sonic. I dunno anything about how to play those characters, but Every other character I kinda know how to play decently already. obviously i dont know them as much as my mains. but like i said i could learn that in two weeks lol I learn a lot about playing characters just from watching other people. I think wario is one of my best non-mains, and I've never played him in tournament, its all from watching slam and reflex. and my kirby is also decent. literally all just copying stuff from george. and some characters are just easy to play, like marth.
there's so much stuff that carries over from character to character.
almost all character's nairs hit both sides are either mutli hit or sex kicks, and can be autocancelled.
almost all characters have quick jabs that can be used to interreupt incoming moves and set up jab mindgames
each character has either bair that's a kill move, and a fair that's a damage builder/juggle move, or vice versa.
almost all characters d-throws send the opponent vertically
just things like that. I play Pit and ROB almost exactly the same
snake is a weird exception to like all the "rules" of smash though. he's such a strange character and I think that's why i can't get better with him at a fast rate. its like you learn all the other characters in one class room while snake himself is his own course.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Sometimes. I made Leon laugh until he couldn't breathe making Zelda jokes the other night. Daniel earnestly asked if he was drunk.

You guys will probably meet Leon soon enough. He's a local Sheik/Zelda main that's kinda new. He nails DACUS when I don't shield and whiffs it when I do.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I use R for all my shield related activities though. That'd be a hard habit to break.
Do you use L for anything specific? Switching it for Attack t might accomplish the same effect (of not being in an awkward position for your finger to press with great timing), but I've only done so with R, so, I don't know if it would be the same.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Do you use L for anything specific? Switching it for Attack t might accomplish the same effect (of not being in an awkward position for your finger to press with great timing), but I've only done so with R, so, I don't know if it would be the same.
I use L to b-reverse, but i don't think sheiks normally do that too much. when i was playing sheik i think i tried switching Y to attack, and it helped a bit but i still couldn't get it down consistently. i'll fool around with it and see whats up

popsofctown

Smash Champion
T1J, Kevin??

No, T1J is a Birmingham player, plays mostly snake but he likes trying out lots of characters.

I hope you chatted with the black guy that came to smash club though, he was love jumping. That means he read something on a forum and applied it to improve his game, which is promising. Unless he discovered it on his own, which is rather doubtful since the tech took a year and a half to come out iirc.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
cuz upsmash is my only kill move.
dsmash is too predictable and i have to use fair and bair too much to not stale them.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Predicting DSmash shouldn't be an issue. If you're just throwing out, it's an issue that you need to solve. You can't just fish for a kill blow, you need to let it come to you. Wait until you've reached a position where your opponent has traditionally been doing something DSmash will beat. Or wait until they do something punishable. You've got to watch. I mean, I've been getting kills with Falco for awhile now and if you've gotta wait until FTilt kills, then that's just what you do.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Predicting DSmash shouldn't be an issue. If you're just throwing out, it's an issue that you need to solve. You can't just fish for a kill blow, you need to let it come to you. Wait until you've reached a position where your opponent has traditionally been doing something DSmash will beat. Or wait until they do something punishable. You've got to watch. I mean, I've been getting kills with Falco for awhile now and if you've gotta wait until FTilt kills, then that's just what you do.

THIS.
B-air around 130 kills fresh. If it's stale, you can still catch them offstage with it or just around 160. F-air around 145, and the higher in the air they are, the closer they are to the blast line, which of course means earlier kills. U-tilt kills at 175. Those percentages are ROUGH estimates, btw. D-tilt semi spikes. D-throw semi spikes. I mean, even stale f-smash kills eventually. Don't fish for openings. If you get a hard read, d-smash of course, lol. But otherwise use your options.
YOU ARE LIMITING YOURSELF IF YOU THINK D-SMASH IS WHAT YOU NEED TO KILL WITH.
You're setting psychological boundaries around your options. :)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
omg you guys i never said i was fishing for kill moves.

im just saying i might not learn dacus with wolf because itd be easier to kill with an upsmash oos cuz i dont wanna throw it out that much..
stop treating me like a nub lol i know all these things....

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
My mindset when i play wolf~
Up Smash out of shield~ I use it at lower percents. If i can land upsmash oos at lower percents, then i have options afterwards. If my opponent air dodges on top of me then i do it again. If my opponent tries to attack me on his way down, then i do it again. Up smash hits twice and is a pretty safe move.
Back air~ I use this move way too often for it to be considered a kill move. Great damage builder, great spacing tool, and i think you can link it to fsmash at very low percents to build damage.
Up air~ at anytime my opponent is above me i use this to juggle. Typically this is in the middle of the game.
Getting the kill~ I use two moves to kill with wolf. Down Smash and forward air. I Use fair to mix up my up air juggling once my opponent is over 120%. I know fair is a good move for spacing, but I try to save it to give me another killing option. As far as landing down smash goes, wait until your opponent is on the ledge. This opportunity will present itself more when your opponent is higher in % with you are knocking them off stage. With back air being your only real edge guarding move, i'd recommend allowing your opponent to get on the ledge. Wolf has good ledge pressure (atleast i think so) He prevents ppl from jumping off the ledge due to his back air, so when ppl are trying to calculate the best way to get back on the stage you'd be surprised how many times you can hit a free down smash with your opponent not di ing because they were on the ledge. Obviously your opponent will be looking out for that next time, so just be aware that they will want to get off the ledge quickly and punish accordingly...
Hope this helps :]

_Keno_

Smash Lord
hey UAB melee guy, my email is robbinsrs@gmail.com

email me when you want to play. We still haven't played since you got here. D=

Zero_Gamer, Kola, and those who want to go to AWA from my general area, are you guys dressing up? And does anyone else who wants to go can afford to go?

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
tbh, I just use whatever move seems to be the best move to use at the time. I don't pay THAT much attention to whether a move is stale anymore. Not dying is more important in this game than killing people.
but to be fair, I play a lot of characters with many ways to kill people.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
My mindset when i play wolf~
Up Smash out of shield~ I use it at lower percents. If i can land upsmash oos at lower percents, then i have options afterwards. If my opponent air dodges on top of me then i do it again. If my opponent tries to attack me on his way down, then i do it again. Up smash hits twice and is a pretty safe move.
Back air~ I use this move way too often for it to be considered a kill move. Great damage builder, great spacing tool, and i think you can link it to fsmash at very low percents to build damage.
Up air~ at anytime my opponent is above me i use this to juggle. Typically this is in the middle of the game.
Getting the kill~ I use two moves to kill with wolf. Down Smash and forward air. I Use fair to mix up my up air juggling once my opponent is over 120%. I know fair is a good move for spacing, but I try to save it to give me another killing option. As far as landing down smash goes, wait until your opponent is on the ledge. This opportunity will present itself more when your opponent is higher in % with you are knocking them off stage. With back air being your only real edge guarding move, i'd recommend allowing your opponent to get on the ledge. Wolf has good ledge pressure (atleast i think so) He prevents ppl from jumping off the ledge due to his back air, so when ppl are trying to calculate the best way to get back on the stage you'd be surprised how many times you can hit a free down smash with your opponent not di ing because they were on the ledge. Obviously your opponent will be looking out for that next time, so just be aware that they will want to get off the ledge quickly and punish accordingly...
Hope this helps :]
thanks.
i mean... im gonna try...
i dont really think ill be able to do it though.

edit: main wolf/ find a main, that is.
im getting WRECCCCKKKEED on Aib like almost 3 stock every single match my wolf is down right dreadful.

Top Bottom