• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Cam always got dem jokes.

But no Janitor. 60-40 is not unwinnable. That means if 2 players of the same skill played 100 times that one player would win 60 games and the other player would win 40 games.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Cam always got dem jokes.

But no Janitor. 60-40 is not unwinnable. That means if 2 players of the same skill played 100 times that one player would win 60 games and the other player would win 40 games.
Because, as i mentioned, the player with the better character, being human, would naturally screw up every now and then.
Also as mentioned, the possibility that a person may screw up is not a legitimate argument for a matchup being close or a character not being overpowered.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
That's the whole reason the BBR moved to +1/-1 match-ups. It means different things depending on who you ask and different character boards define what the ratio means whether it means matches of a hundred or it means slight advantage/disadvantage or it means some strange hybrid of the two.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
arguably +1/-1 means just as little.

I think there's something intuitive about the zero sum aspect of X:X ratios that helps people get on the same page. But eh.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
It is common among top warios that wario gets bodied by MK. It has been for a while. You're under-representing MK just because you play him.
youre over exagerrating him bc you like to go lol this is a broken game mk is too good.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Little did I know. I now have a great respect for anal-hair. Like everything in this world God created, it has its mighty purpose in existence. It was only after I had removed it that I started to learn how much I had been taking it for granted. For one, it provides friction. I learned this the next day, when I walked out into the sun heading for class. After climbing two flights of stairs and starting to sweat, I started to notice something unpleasant. The sweat was accumulating in my crack, and was causing the unpleasant sensation of my two asscheeks sliding past each other with every step. I thought about going to the bathroom and wiping it off, but had to get to class. Eventually, I
thought, it would dry. Unfortunately, it did dry, but only after mingling with the microscopic poop -molecules lingering around my brown starfish. When I stood up after class, my cheeks were stuck together with a slimy sticky poop/sweat combination. As I made my way back to my dorm, it started to itch. God-DAMN, did it itch! Felt like a swarm of ants was making its way up and down my crack. Fighting to keep from jamming my hand down there
and scratching away, I rushed back to the dorm. Unfortunately, this exertion caused me to sweat, and when I finally
reached my room, my cheeks were sliding back and forth against each other like a pair of horny cane-toads. I quickly dropped my pants, and attempted to dry my *** off by sticking it in front of a fan and spreading my cheeks.

As I pulled the two mounds of flesh apart, a horrible stench burst free and filled the room. Every dog within a 4 block radius started to howl. I had it worst of all, as the ripe aroma of festering poop/sweat went into the fan and blew back into my face. I fought to keep from heaving. And as I sat there, fighting vomit, my *** cheeks spread and dripping, with the concentrated aroma of my body odor mixed with the tangy smell of my own poop blowing right into my face, I had only one thought: "It will be like this until the hair grows back. Weeks." Later on, trying to deal as best I could, wiping my *** at every opportunity, I discovered another wonderful use for ***-hair - ventilation. I attempted to launch a fart, only to have it get stuck between my asscheeks.

Apparently, with no hair, the two pink twins can get vacuum sealed together, and the result was a frustrating fart that slid up and down between my cheeks like a lost gerbil. As if that wasn't
enough, I am now enduring further torture. As anyone who has ever shaved anything knows, when hair is first growing in, it comes in as stubble. Imagine your *** having the texture of a brillo pad.

Well, that is what I am dealing with now. It is a hellish torture, and there are many times when I just look out the window and contemplate why I shouldn't just jump out and get it all over with in one fleshy splat, rather than endure this constant agony.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
45:55 is basically an even matchup, 60-40 means that a character has a slight advantage, beyond that you're into soft and hard counters. A hard counter is an unwinnable matchup.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
40-60 is considered by many to be a soft counter. Either way, most people don't bank on 40-60 matchups in tournament play.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
maybe i've just been under the wrong impression this whole time. but when i hear 60-40 that means that a character is getting wrecked and you shouldn't play that matchup unless you are extremely good at it
regardless of what the numbers mean, metaknight doesn't have any even and almost no (if any) close matchups lol thats the point.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, when you get to top level play, it's rare to see people who are straight-up better than other players, so it becomes harder to get around a disadvantage. As a result, those gaps mean so much more in a large tournament setting.

That said, even top level players have at least slightly different opinions on what numbers each individual matchup has. The BBR matchup chart should be reworked, that's for sure.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Hard counter is something like Sheik/Bowser or Marth/M2. A hard counter is unwinnable and is where one person just gets bodied the entire time. 80-20 through 0-100 are hard counters.
When I've been playing with my Street Fighter IV friends (who body me), I've never heard them refer to a 6:4 matchup as anything but a near even or slight advantage matchup.

Part of the confusion may be because it's the fanbase making inherently flawed terminology.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The thing is, you need to define the terms and their usage before you do the analysis, not after.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hard counter is something like Sheik/Bowser or Marth/M2. A hard counter is unwinnable and is where one person just gets bodied the entire time. 80-20 through 0-100 are hard counters.
When I've been playing with my Street Fighter IV friends (who body me), I've never heard them refer to a 6:4 matchup as anything but a near even or slight advantage matchup.

Part of the confusion may be because it's the fanbase making inherently flawed terminology.
I've totally beaten intelligent Sheik players with Bowser before.

That said, 6-4 isn't even close to unwinnable. That said, 6-4 is not fun to play in a tournament setting, either.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
may not be fun, but people do 6-4's and win all the time with the 4
even in top level play.

mk has a ton of 6-4 MU's actually most of them other than the obvious ones.
6-4 is close to even. it is not super close. but it is close enough. i wouldnt go as far to say that he has no matchups that are losable, whch is what youre saying

Will_

Smash Journeyman
gg's in LoL today, AL. Big Daddy Garen's got your back.

@munkus: can't tonight, but scourge might. You got my number, we can set something up anytime.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Long time, senior Will.

I'm in Madison now permanently. I had no idea scourge was up in and it it here.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
im finding more people that play LoL lately, outside of smashboards as well.

my MLG team may come trueeeeeeeeee!!!! lol

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
45:55 is basically an even matchup, 60-40 means that a character has a slight advantage, beyond that you're into soft and hard counters. A hard counter is an unwinnable matchup.
55:45 is a slight advantage. One character will have superior spacing options, will have a move that answers many of the opponent's moves easily, or will have kill moves that kill earlier than the opponent. The character with a disadvantage must read his opponent more often than his opponent reads him, or otherwise outplay him slightly to win.

60:40 is a solid advantage. One character has a superior ground/aerial game, clearly outlives the other character while killing the other character early, edgeguards the opponent well, or has a move that the other character will be hard pressed to punish. The character with a disadvantage must RELY on reads to keep up and win, and although the reads don't need to be as significant as a Snake F-smash, they need to be fairly good reads.

65:35 is a filler ratio, used only in specific match ups (in my opinion).

70:30 is a soft counter to me. It means the disadvantaged opponent must rely on scattered hard reads and MU knowledge to be able to even keep up with his opponent. The advantaged character has a move that shuts down a portion of the other's moveset, has a gimmick that the other character cannot easily get around, dominates on the ground or in the air, and holds their own on the other (for example, dominating on the ground and keeping up in the air), or edgeguards extremely well, forcing gimps at high levels of play.

75:25 is another filler ratio.

80:20 is a hard counter. The advantaged character has a COMBINATION of the traits listed above, forcing the disadvantaged character to constantly out-think his opponent, relying on hard reads and far superior MU knowledge to even stand a chance. At the top level of play, the disadvantaged character must FORCE the advantaged character to play "in their house", so to speak. If the advantaged character doesn't take the bait, and plays as they should, the disadvantaged character simply should not win.

Anything more is unwinnable.
Though I don't think a 0:100 MU exists in Brawl.
ICs:Ganon is supposed to be 100:0, but Kakera lost to a Ganon in Japan. -.-

Top Bottom