• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

rhan

Smash Hero
251-401-6806

I'm in Mobile. I'll get you the hook up, and yes, there are Pensacola players.
Alright I got the number. I'm trying to go do something smash related outside of this city sometime next month. Plus I got hardcore studying to do.

Probably like the 2nd weekend in Oct would be best for me to go travel.

But I'll keep you updated on what's going on.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Absolute rofls at reflex getting mk banned so he can buy a plasma screen.

If that was reflex's goal, he would have become a meta knight main a year after the game came out. Then he would have opposed the ban m2k/dojo style.
It clearly does not affect his performance in Alabama at all. Who in this region would Reflex have "had to pick up MK" to beat? It's undeniable that Reflex wants MK banned on a national level and that he wants to use Alabama as a stepping stone to reach that goal. He's part of the Brawl Backroom after all. My point there was that it's not about us, as Alabama, but about him and the national scene.

I'm asking that he drop the charade that he is making benevolent decisions on behalf of the Alabama community, when it's clear he isn't. He's without a doubt the best this state has to offer, with or without MK, so he's going to win the tourneys regardless of MK's presence. If he really wants to benefit the Alabama smash scene in the ways he himself described, then he should go along with the growing pot scenario. He wins, he doesn't lose anything. The Alabama scene just grows stronger as there is more of a pull attracting bigger out of state names and crowds.

You really can't deny that this would bring in far more people than a simple "MK ban" ever would for our state. And you can't deny that it would only "negatively" impact one person, I doubt very many in the state in the ASL was ever expecting to beat Reflex and take 1st. All the rest are putting money into the system without expecting real returns.

Convince me that this one thing would draw less people to the state than the MK ban and maybe I'll recant.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I didn't intend to join the ASL because I didn't have faith that the tourney scene would be professionally run. I think I made that pretty clear, I had no interest in tossing my funds into the void. I also was planning on going to the tourney in Mississippi with Andy in October and the individual tourneys in the ASL to see how it pans out. I'm not going to prepay and still won't because I'm not entirely convinced this has legs.

As for me and my own practice? I do what I can, but my mobility right now is limited due to my extensive medical issues. I'm using all my pain meds just to work, I can't afford to use them to go around and play video games at people's houses all the time. I'm flying to the Mayo Clinic next week for surgery, in fact.

I don't think I've changed my own tune at all. A: I thought what they were asking was unfair and wanted at least a symbolic gesture that they were willing to experience the same and B: I thought it would benefit the community more than the ban on short notice would.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Reflex has travelled out of states to tournaments and lost because he wasn't playing meta knight. If he's stopped going out of state, it's because he doesn't want to pick up meta knight so he can compete on a national level. If he was all about winning and money, he'd pick up mk and probably go be fully capable of beating m2k, or at least top florida players.

That'd reach his goal far more directly than getting MK banned nationwide in a super gradual way that allows his competition to pick up seconds as the mk ban crawls over borders.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Reflex has travelled out of states to tournaments and lost because he wasn't playing meta knight. If he's stopped going out of state, it's because he doesn't want to pick up meta knight so he can compete on a national level. If he was all about winning and money, he'd pick up mk and probably go be fully capable of beating m2k, or at least top florida players.

That'd reach his goal far more directly than getting MK banned nationwide in a super gradual way that allows his competition to pick up seconds as the mk ban crawls over borders.
I didn't say winning was his only priority, or that money was his only priority. It's a priority with him, definitely, though. MK being banned will allow him to compete better on his own terms, but it certainly won't drastically improve the Alabama smash scene in a short amount of time.

And you better believe that you're going to lose a lot during the frustrating process of picking up a new character. That part is certainly no walk in the park. And you better believe that if I go to any ASL tourney, I will be going knowing that I will lose and I will be giving up my money. If you main MK as well, you better believe the same.

If I show up, it would be to support the community. To throw my support behind the bama beast. And I would certainly go to the tourneys, hell I'd even pay twice the prepay for ASL, if Reflex took my specific challenge for him. That's at least one thing I know will benefit the Alabama smash scene more than anything else.

Like I said, something like that? You could make an event out of it. Market it. Use some of the funds to get better venues or buy advertising bucks. You could use it to negotiate some outside sponsorship of the tourneys, a guaranteed $600 pot on top of whatever shows up is going to draw attention and give you more leeway to talk to local businesses about advertising.

And if you guys aren't thinking about how to get sponsors for this then I don't know what to say.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Munkus

seriously

why do you even give a **** all of a sudden
How hard is it to read? I just graduated law school and I took the bar. Those things take up a lot of time, and I was in a city where the smash-scene was fairly dead. I know I won't be a certain thing to appear at tourneys due to possible weekend work, but now at least it's an option and I live in a town where I can get practice in.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Hey. I'm in Pensacola. I heard I was closer to the Alabama smash scene then I was FL smash scene. Is that true?

I play Melee.

I only have 1 other person in this city to play that game with.... I wanna play more. Help me fill that hole. <3
Holy ****, Rhan, you're near AL?

Duuude, come to the next Montgomery tournament and bring melee.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Ok. Fine. Reflex is evil. He's secretly bent on becoming the best player in the USA. Secretly he tried out Meta Knight, but cannot play him well, despite his universal and accessible mechanics. After losing to M2K and other top MKs at OoS tournaments, Reflex went home and said , "damnit. The little knight stand between me and sacks of money and shining glory." (Because as a Wario player we do know he loves treasure, and as a PT player (canonically, Red) we do know he loves glory). So Reflex plotted a secret scheme to get Meta Knight banned nationwide.

Then he voted for the ban as the fourth vote in excess of what it would have taken to ban him in ASL. So who cares? I can guarantee you that if we took a census of every alabama player's position the results would have been the same. If this corruption doesn't actually have any negative results that wouldn't have happened anyway, it doesn't really matter.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Look pops, I'm using his own words here. He wants to start something with the Alabama scene and create an action point for neighboring states and the national scene to follow suite. He said as much. He also pointed out that MK players against the ban are biased from the money they rake in from 'easy matches.' These are his own arguments, his own words, and I'm applying the same logic to him. If he wants to preach altruism for the Alabama Smash Scene, he's got a better podium than a Metaknight Ban.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
this is getting kinda ridiculous. We're talking as if Reflex is some evil mastermind who single-handedly makes all the rules in Alabama. Reflex was one of many players polled about MK. Reflex is part of the MAJORITY opinion among local TOs and nationally ranked players. But somehow he's the only one among the ban supporters that has selfish motives? lol wat?
Winning is a priority for anyone who is seriously competitive about anything. If it's not, you're doing it wrong, and I don't believe that Reflex has made any mention of whether he values prospering in the game more or less than helping the community. I don't know where he stands on this, but I don't think he's said anything for you to assume one thing either way.
Reflex clearly believes, and has provided reasons in support of this belief, that Metaknight is overpowered to the point of a necessity of a ban. This is obviously the case. It's laughable to suppose he only wants MK banned so he can win more tournaments.
You admire the people who have accepted your "challenge", but I'm sitting here lol'ing at the fact they're taking such a random and asinine thing so seriously.

I agree that it is unfair to kind of out of nowhere announce that MK is banned. BUT TWO MONTHS IS ENOUGH TIME TO LEARN A CHARACTER IF YOU REALLY WANT TO. You could learn three characters in two months. This is the point you are missing. This is not a big deal. If it were a only a week's notice. That would be a big deal. If it were in the middle of the season, that would be a big deal. This is not a big deal. AND EVEN IF IT WEREN'T ENOUGH TIME, it doesn't matter. Clearly, the ASL values helping the community more than hindering 3 players in alabama.

You're saying, an MK ban won't help the community? What is the evidence that supports this assertion? Sounds like a random unfounded conviction to me. You may ask, what's the proof for the claim that an MK ban WILL help the community? Well, how about the polls/interviews/inquiries of TOs and local players that led to the ban in the first place? You've literally got people literally saying they are literally more likely to literally attend tournament if MK is banned. Literally. (or at least that is what i'm led to believe by the ASL)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i think munkus is mainly calling out reflex because he is acting like a benevolent, pretension, goddess on the matter when the fact is that his money isnt where his mouth is. (no pun intended) and that is annoying.

if reflex really wanted to help us he'd be playing friendlies with us at tournaments but you always see him in his little corner with kismet,biglou,michaleis,elev8. and the funny thing is that i play friendlies with everyone else in that list at every tournament theyre at almost.
reflex is suppose to be the pro here in AL
the rest of us are just trying to learn the game.
and how does the pro help us to learn the game here in AL?
by sandbagging everyone's ***** off in tournament so he can lol to his pretension self then go play seriouslies with his friends.

i see kadaj leading NC and supporting and teaching them at every tournament i see NC at
i see other state leaders do exactly the same, the list could go on.
i see reflex not taking us seriously and taking my money and thats about it.
i mean im jus sayin even though im a little of topic or w/e

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I didn't intend to join the ASL because I didn't have faith that the tourney scene would be professionally run. I think I made that pretty clear, I had no interest in tossing my funds into the void. I also was planning on going to the tourney in Mississippi with Andy in October and the individual tourneys in the ASL to see how it pans out. I'm not going to prepay and still won't because I'm not entirely convinced this has legs.
That's your choice. There is no "void" to be tossing funds into though. If we change something that could affect players' tournament attendance, then we offer refunds. It's that simple. If the project somehow went south and we couldn't deliver, then we would give everyone a refund. With the ASL, you either get what you paid for or you get your money back.

If I show up, it would be to support the community. To throw my support behind the bama beast. And I would certainly go to the tourneys, hell I'd even pay twice the prepay for ASL, if Reflex took my specific challenge for him. That's at least one thing I know will benefit the Alabama smash scene more than anything else.
That's great. I hope you do show up. We need all the support we can get.

And if you guys aren't thinking about how to get sponsors for this then I don't know what to say.
We are.

You admire the people who have accepted your "challenge", but I'm sitting here lol'ing at the fact they're taking such a random and asinine thing so seriously.
No, it's not random or asinine. Even if Munkus doesn't join the ASL, it was still a good idea. The gesture shows goodwill, which builds our organization's ethos.

I'm asking that he drop the charade that he is making benevolent decisions on behalf of the Alabama community, when it's clear he isn't. He's without a doubt the best this state has to offer, with or without MK, so he's going to win the tourneys regardless of MK's presence. If he really wants to benefit the Alabama smash scene in the ways he himself described, then he should go along with the growing pot scenario. He wins, he doesn't lose anything. The Alabama scene just grows stronger as there is more of a pull attracting bigger out of state names and crowds.
I will only address this once.

Reflex, regardless of his reasons, was only one amongst many who voted for a ban. There was no unilateral decision. Twelve people from across the state, all T.O.s in their own right, voted on this issue.

Asking Reflex to swap characters is a little different than asking me to do so. I am not even close to being a top Pikachu player, but Reflex is the best Pokemon Trainer in the world and one of the best Wario players. Many opponents may be disappointed if he does not play his main. If I played against Ally, I would want to play his Snake, not his Mario. If I played against ADHD, I would want to play his Diddy Kong, not his Bowser. The same goes for Reflex, regardless of his motives for sticking with his main.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think munkus is mainly calling out reflex because he is acting like a benevolent, pretension, goddess on the matter when the fact is that his money isnt where his mouth is. (no pun intended) and that is annoying.

if reflex really wanted to help us he'd be playing friendlies with us at tournaments but you always see him in his little corner with kismet,biglou,michaleis,elev8. and the funny thing is that i play friendlies with everyone else in that list at every tournament theyre at almost.
reflex is suppose to be the pro here in AL
the rest of us are just trying to learn the game.
and how does the pro help us to learn the game here in AL?
by sandbagging everyone's ***** off in tournament so he can lol to his pretension self then go play seriouslies with his friends.

i see kadaj leading NC and supporting and teaching them at every tournament i see NC at
i see other state leaders do exactly the same, the list could go on.
i see reflex not taking us seriously and taking my money and thats about it.
i mean im jus sayin even though im a little of topic or w/e
All right lol you're def getting out of hand.
Luis has given me more advice in this game than most people.
Have you ever asked him for friendlies? He'll say yes, assuming he's not busy with something else. Even if you consider the fact that friendlies with people who suck at Brawl are of less value to him than than are to you and me. I'm pretty sure at geeks and gamers he made the people he rode with wait because he'd promised someone that he'd play friendlies with them.
Have you ever asked him for advice? He'll give it to you.
So he hangs out with his friends at tournaments lol that's a problem?
Chill out yo, when did this turn into a personal attack. I thought we were talking about Metaknight.

EDIT: SERIOUSLY LOL
what the **** are you guys talking about right now?
This discussion has taken a bizarre and ridiculous tangent. this boy munkus got reflex out to be some kind of dr. doom out here plotting world domination, and slam's got him like the bully at school who beats up the nerd and then goes and slaps fives with his gang. lol where the **** you guys pullin this **** LOL

@cam, the gesture shows good will to one random dude that's not even a legit current part of the community you wish to improve. no one else in this community will notice or care who or why you aren't playing your mains lol
"why aren't you playin pikachu?"
"oh, i'm trying to be fair to munkus, since we banned his main"
"who's munkus?"

EDIT: lol reflex ban! lmfao yall boys crazy

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
thats just how i roll
wasnt that personal. im just adding to the whole helping the scene thing. its the trufe when has he helped you that much, janjan?

he could tell me how to play marth or wolf and friendly my marth and wolf alot at the next tourney thatd be cool. or play me on wifi and train them. ****s not gonna happen though.

idk i might pick up marth even though that character is gay as ****. im talkin about his costumes. i mean i wanna be a wolf main kinda. but marth is more similar to mk. wolf is like.... a basic wario.
AND **** WARIO

i still am undecided on which character im gonna pick up.

but on the topic of everything that is going on: this whole **** is dumb, both sides of it. most un-legit state ever lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i'm pretty sure that if you asked Reflex to tell you everything he knows about Wolf and/or Marth, given that he had the time, he would do it. i've been bothering him on AIM and Facebook since the game came out. and I don't think he's ever NOT answered a question. i know for a fact that he'll play friendlies with you if you ask.

but i dont feel comfortable speaking for him anymore (even though I know its true)

GOIN TO BED YOU CRAZY NEGROES

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
And banning mk in alabama is random and asinine which is why all these assumptions are being made and the attacks are turning personal cuz there is literally no reason other than personal reasons for this ***** to be banned in the ****ing ****ty *** bible belt god damn

but w/e i am not posting about it anymore im picking up marth/wolf and i'd appreciate it if people helped me out since i am the only mk main in this state that does not have a SOLID secondary. they are all very inconsistant. rag has very good consistancy among his secondaries and ryker has other mains. who else uses mk? will_ has dk. idk. to my knowledge im the only person that doesnt really have a REAL secondary that theyd be willing or ready to use in tournament so if you wanna help me be part of the scene then help me out here. and i dont like the characters marth and wolf if im not good with them lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Metaknight is much much better than every character in the game, and has no counterpick, character or stage wise, and theoretically at the top level of play, should never lose.
Whether or not these are legit reasons for a ban is arguable (which, on principle, I don't think they are, obviously. but brawl is a broken game in general, so regular competitive notions probably don't apply iono), but they are compelling, non personal reasons.
There are arguments to be made. It's not just people whining because they don't know the matchup. (or trying to diabolically win themselves more money lol?)
not arguing for or against the ban, just disputing the idea that banning mk is "random and asinine". its not. it may or may not be ultimately rational, but it is understandable by all means.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
and the only reason im asking for help is cuz of the two month time span. im willing to go all in and learn a character i really like by myself but that would take me like 6 months. im just not good enough to do it in two months without help especialy with characters i think that are terribly homosexual.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Two months should be enough, especially if you pick an easy character. If the primary character you want is pretty difficult to master, you could try focusing on simple secondary for the first ASL season. Falco, Kirby, Rob, and D3 are pretty easy folks. Wolf is pretty middle of the road, straightforward gameplan but some unusual options sometimes provided by DACUS and shine.

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Me: Hey, Reflex, wanna do some friendlies?
Reflex: Nah, I really want to watch this exciting match of Billy vs. Twinster.

Me: Hey, Kismet, wanna do some friendlies?
Kismet: Uhhhh, I would, but I really want to see this match of Reflex vs. a random 12-year-old.

Me: Hey, Janitor, wanna do some friendlies?
Janitor: No.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Tier lists in poker aren't facts. Here are 5 links to videos of ace high beating 3 of a kind thanks to skillful bluffing. I am not a tournament poker player, but I have just as much fun with my supposedly "bad" hands as the pros do with their "good" ones. Poker has so many inherent game systems that are common to everyone like chips, hidden information, and reading your opponent, that the "tier list" shouldn't be taken as gospel. It's holding the community back!
I found this delightful and wanted to share it.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
I must be crazy but Reflex has invited me into his house and both him and Raf have shown me how to be a better player. So plz don't brandish him as the "Ultimate Evil" in our community, cause it's not true. Also if he does sandbag you, I dont think it's intentional, maybe you just make bad decisions thus he only has to use a quarter of his brain to play against you. Cause I'm pretty sure if he went around 3 stocking everybody, there would be no community to speak of....

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
I can't think of anything to say without trolling so

*Troll post @ Munkus & Slam*

Get what you want out of that. Like you two are being irrational. Yes we don't have an MK problem in Alabama, but banning him could bring out some more players whether it be scrubs or pros from some of the closer states. It's not a ban on MK because he's the best character in the game it's a ban on him to make the metagame advance beyond pick MK, insta-win.

Metaknight is a flawless character with NO BAD OPTIONS AT ALL. Take me for example. I'm a bad player. Instead of finding people to counterpick my problems with i just say **** it and throw more bananas. I'm going to lose to a bad match-up like Peach and Marth often and if you want to beat me I recommend picking those 2 up. Now take Kismet or someone who mains MK and put them at my skill level. You can't counterpick him. Why? Because he mains MK. You can't safely poke at him without having a high chance of being ***** in the process. While this is all situational according to the player, it still counts somewhere. Brawl isn't a pure game of skill, it's skill combined with knowledge and mindgames. Being good @ Brawl doesn't just mean you can do all the fancy ATs and combos (lulz), it means you outsmarted your opponent by either making him make too many mistakes or made him uncomfortable in the match-up.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
thats just how i roll
wasnt that personal. im just adding to the whole helping the scene thing. its the trufe when has he helped you that much, janjan?

he could tell me how to play marth or wolf and friendly my marth and wolf alot at the next tourney thatd be cool. or play me on wifi and train them. ****s not gonna happen though.

idk i might pick up marth even though that character is gay as ****. im talkin about his costumes. i mean i wanna be a wolf main kinda. but marth is more similar to mk. wolf is like.... a basic wario.
AND **** WARIO

i still am undecided on which character im gonna pick up.

but on the topic of everything that is going on: this whole **** is dumb, both sides of it. most un-legit state ever lol
I will whole-heartedly admit that marth is practically gay. But I'm not gonna hate on a character that I enjoy playing and want to get better with. Btw, at any smashfest or tournament I ever see you at, if you want I can teach you everything I know about Marth. That is, if you are willing to look past the gay.

PrinceAlias

Smash Journeyman
I will whole-heartedly admit that marth is practically gay. But I'm not gonna hate on a character that I enjoy playing and want to get better with. Btw, at any smashfest or tournament I ever see you at, if you want I can teach you everything I know about Marth. That is, if you are willing to look past the gay.
Are you suggesting he play the gay away :3

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
cant believe im doing this lol but yes. ill look past it i guess.

dude the snake MU is so easy with marth why is it a 60 40?
thats like a fun matchup to play with marth

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah marth beats snake lol

im half way enjoying marth he has a good ground game similar to mk

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Kola, Matt wants to apologize to you. League of Legends brings out the worst in everyone apparently.

I also want to apologize for constantly saying you're bad at the game. I need to understand that you're still new and are also playing on a crappy computer. I've played on one before and I can understand that the computer is dividing your skill in half.

Top Bottom