• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I think munkus only wants ASL leadership to do it. I want to watch you wreck with peach :(
Well, I feel like I'm really limited because of my melee experiences with peach anyways. This is just an excuse for me to play falcon and sheik, and have more fun in general.

rhan

Smash Hero
Hey. I'm in Pensacola. I heard I was closer to the Alabama smash scene then I was FL smash scene. Is that true?

I play Melee.

I only have 1 other person in this city to play that game with.... I wanna play more. Help me fill that hole. <3

rhan

Smash Hero
I live on Corry Station so yeahhh.. I don't exactly know the area all that well aside from going to the mall and beach. So if someone live around there or at least in a reasonable distance I'm so down to play. Always been wanting to play new people since I got to this base.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
I don't understand why I would want to bend over backward to prove something to, like, three people. Even if I did, I could not fairly participate, because I'm at least solid (relatively; you can't expect my Ganondorf to be every bit as threatening as, say, my Marth) with every character in the game, and saying that I picked up a character from scratch today would be a lie, no matter what character I picked up.

I used to do it all the time. A majority of my Smash career in AL/GA has been something like, "Do exceptionally well with Wario, and do rather well with a character that I've been playing for, like, a week or two." That said, I'd much rather play the characters I know quite well, rather than the ones I don't enjoy (because those are the same characters I would and would not use in general if given a choice). I still want to improve, and I'd rather do it with the character(s) I'm going to improve with in the future, Meta Knight ban or not.
well thats cool cuz i wish i could do good and work on improving on the characters i would want to improve on.

and maybe you could just bend over a little because you made a big choice without asking any of us and you assume that you are one hundred percent right about the mk ban and regardless there isnt a fact of it being right or wrong. i think thats the problem with your attitude here is that you are acting as if you did the "right" thing and thats not a fact.

also idk i might use marth. might use wolf. might use jiggs.

also WHY DOESNT RAMMUS HAVE AN EXPLANATION BESIDE HIS NAME ON THAT PIC U POSTED KOLA???????

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
well thats cool cuz i wish i could do good and work on improving on the characters i would want to improve on.

and maybe you could just bend over a little because you made a big choice without asking any of us and you assume that you are one hundred percent right about the mk ban and regardless there isnt a fact of it being right or wrong. i think thats the problem with your attitude here is that you are acting as if you did the "right" thing and thats not a fact.

The tournament organizers discussed it among each other and asked a bunch of their respective locals how they felt about it.

I can't say for sure that this will significantly benefit the scene here, but based on the data we've collected, there's a high chance that it will, and if it isn't, then we'll fix it.

We feel that we made a decision that will cause more people to show up to tournaments, as well as create a great deal of diversity within the results of those tournaments. We're not flaunting the fact; we're just hoping for the best, and that only appears to be a problem among a very small minority.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
and saying that I picked up a character from scratch today would be a lie, no matter what character I picked up.
I think it would generally be a lie for anyone of us, unless munkus is expecting people to break out their, i dunno, sonics and bowsers?

every one of us has a decent idea of how to play pretty much every character in this game, and with a week or two's practice could make any character acceptable for local tournament play.

thats why i dont buy all this whining.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace

also WHY DOESNT RAMMUS HAVE AN EXPLANATION BESIDE HIS NAME ON THAT PIC U POSTED KOLA???????
I think you're just upset because we don't have an MK problem here in AL, but he's still being banned. Look @ what Reflex said on why we banned MK

I think it would generally be a lie for anyone of us, unless munkus is expecting people to break out their, i dunno, sonics and bowsers?

every one of us has a decent idea of how to play pretty much every character in this game, and with a week or two's practice could make any character acceptable for local tournament play.

thats why i dont buy all this whining.
Want me to break out my Bowser??? :D

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
not upset. just as upset as any of you would be if you got your main banned then everyone else was like "lol stop being upset bc you got your main banned lol wtf"

so if tournament attendance doesnt go up then the ban will be removed?

because we cant exactly set a "fun bar" up to measure how much better all the current smashers like playing without metaknight, and even if they do like it more that is still not a valid reason imho, making the tournament attendance thing the only real measurable and valid factor.

which attendance has been increasing anyways so call it a coencedence that that is another "reason" for banning him here.

and look, im not just mad cuz he is my main. i was against the mk ban when i was a wario main as well. i have always been against the ban. i wouldnt have picked him up in the first place if i thought he needed to be banned. which brings us to the subject of me picking up mk because i just wanted to win more which also is not true.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Hey. I'm in Pensacola. I heard I was closer to the Alabama smash scene then I was FL smash scene. Is that true?

I play Melee.

I only have 1 other person in this city to play that game with.... I wanna play more. Help me fill that hole. <3
251-401-6806

I'm in Mobile. I'll get you the hook up, and yes, there are Pensacola players.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Why should you be "bending over backward" to try and please "a small minority" Reflex?

Realistically, pretty much every state wants to do something about Meta Knight, and it's not like we're the first people to suggest or enforce such a ban in the Brawl community. People don't ban him because they don't want to be among the first people to potentially divide the community, but the people who are against it tend to be those who aren't at high-level play (and therefore can't understand everything that the character is capable of) or don't have the community's best interest at heart (MK players who like easy money and enjoy ignoring the counterpick system; people who believe that it's fine if an overwhelming majority of the game revolved around Meta Knight; people who don't care that the game would be ten times more balanced and varied without Meta Knight).

With the ASL, we're trying to do something different in the way that tournaments happen in many ways; best-case scenario, the ideas pick up elsewhere because they succeed here. This is just another thing that we're doing to try and change the way the community does things, to make it more professional so that people in general know that we know what we're doing, and take us seriously as a result. (No, I'm not talking about SRK elitists; I'm talking about laypersons who we ask to look for a venue and interested beginners looking for a chance to play/learn the game.)
This is a start.

You are the on who started the discussion about how those against the ban are ignorant and greedy. You are the one who started the discussion about how the decision was done with the community in mind. You are the one that the pleas of one person on how they learned a character should be ignored when looking at the good of the community.

And what was my "challenge"? For someone as obviously skilled as you at the game, it wasn't much of anything. How hard would it have been for you to be competitive within the realm of my challenge? But still, you denied it. You do not even try to address my actual points, the meat of my argument. You instead just focus on why you shouldn't have to hamstring you in order to please me.

This isn't about me. It wasn't even about you, despite your focus. It was about the community, and whether you really made your decision purely to improve the community, purely to benefit the Alabama smash scene, and purely to attract new blood.

Cam's response showed me that he actually does care about the scene, that he places winning below fostering community growth. But I really don't get that same vibe from you. I see you as the guy who is using the community as a shield to push your own agenda.

You want to get MK banned to keep out of state competition from wrecking in state players. You want to get MK banned in this state to help push for a national ban. You want MK banned because of his use in the highest level of play. You want MK banned so you can win more tourneys, Alabama is just a stepping stone to reach that end.

See, I actually have an interest in seeing the Alabama community improve. I actually want new blood in the scene, I want more players attending our stuff. I haven't played the game because A: the scene in Tuscaloosa was dead and B: I simply did not have the time to do law school and the tourney scene. (Also smashboards was terrible and had crappy mods.)

My challenge to the ASL leadership that voted was for them to, essentially, drop their main during the first season of ASL. This actually had two parts to it. One, because it is unfair to ask some players to drop their main on such short notice. If nothing else, a gesture should be made by the leadership to show that the decision is entirely community minded and that they are willing to do what they ask their community to do. Second, if part of the goal of this is to get new blood (and there are going to be some newbie MK players who might have been considering playing) then having some of the best players switch mains for the opening season would be a great marketing/advertising draw to new players. Hey random guy X, you have a better chance than ever at winning an Alabama tourney! The best players are switching their mains!

But you are unwilling to do even that one, little, thing. So I have a different challenge, one specifically for you, and one that will do exponetially more for the Alabama tourney scene than this ban ever could and ever will.

A Reflex ban.

Not a ban on Reflex playing, a ban on Reflex winning. Any proceeds Reflex would have gotten from winning a tourney are put back into the pool and are brought to the next ASL event as part of the winners pot. Reflex keeps winning, the pot gets bigger, the draw gets bigger.

But I know that Reflex will refuse to even consider this option. Because he wants his money. He wants to win and he wants the reward. He'd much rather have the hundred in his own pocket than the investment in the Alabama community. Hell, we could even take out a $25 stipend from the pot to pay for gas, food, and venue so the tourneys don't lose him money. Still, Reflex will refuse. Because he wants his money. If Reflex were to win every ASL tourney we could have a potential $1,000 pot to draw national attention or even to invest in advertising and/or venues. Still, Reflex will refuse because he wants his money, first and foremost.

So please, Reflex, don't insult my intelligence. Don't insult this community. You want MK banned to further your own interests, not that of the community. I was never even arguing against the ban itself, always, always challenging the time frame of the ban. I wanted to give your group the benefit of the doubt, and I am pleased that I have been rewarded for that. A number of your organization have instilled confidence in me that their decision was not hastily made and that they do want the community to thrive over their own interests.

But not you, Reflex.

So don't throw around your comments about selfish, ignorant players. You aren't going to give up your money to further the community, so don't act like others should too.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You ignore the fact that it is done with community in mind. You could easily say a lot of things. You could make anyone who's played in a recent tournament have to play a different character so they don't get ahead. You have an issue with where we've drawn the line and instead of talking about why it was wrong to draw it there, you complain and say it inconveniences some people. That's a side-effect, and so sad for you, but we've outlined why we think it's worth it for you not to be able to play your main anymore, so start talking about something that matters or stop complaining. Your course of action is doing you no good.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
You say it was done with the community in mind. Some people have backed that up with action. You haven't. Spout as much as you like about how you made your choice for the community, but actions speak louder than words.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Munkus, I've gotten together with other TOs to lower the cost of tournaments SIGNIFICANTLY, get them a website, get their replays up, get them pizza, and get them scheduled far ahead of time. I voted for a Meta Knight ban for the same reason. That's action and something that you can't dispute to matter how much you post. You're picking a fight because you like to pick fights. You're not going to get to me with your BS.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Absolute rofls at reflex getting mk banned so he can buy a plasma screen.

If that was reflex's goal, he would have become a meta knight main a year after the game came out. Then he would have opposed the ban m2k/dojo style.

Munkus your challenge made some sense to me when it was a replication of at least one affected player's experience. But now I'm realizing it isn't. You said you didn't intend to join ASL pre-ban, so this doesn't really affect you. I'm finding out, mostly secondhand, that shaslam has secondaries that he can probably easily make tournament ready, he's really mostly upset because he doesn't understand the justification for the ban itself. Ryker is fine. Is will_ still alive? I don't really know. He played DK anyway. But Dk's not viable. Oh wait - he is now, because we banned Monkey Blender.

Find someone who is actually going through some sort of hardship before you ask reflex and ryker to play a set of unfamiliar characters. Because after losing 25 games in a row Saturday in failed attempts to play D3 decently so I can compete in ASL, I'm less amused by asking people to quit their mains with little reason

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Sad thing is I was playing Singed and was about to move to defend a turret about 40 minutes in. My teammate at the turret walks into the jungle and dies. I stopped for 3 seconds to think about what to do and in mid thought I hit Q and ghost and run into 5 people. Pop my ult and just kept on running.

TRIPLE KILL *****!!!!

Top Bottom