• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
idk i feel like im making sense.

but anyways if anyone is really that interested in helping me improve which ASL is allllll about then come play me on wifi so i can get my wolf ready for the tournament or... oh wait.... you guys wont do that either. seriously people just play me on wifi. ryker, you said you wanted to help me. ASl said they wanted to help me. so do it.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I thought you weren't going to be discussing the ban at all? If you're going to make a decision for your elected governmental body they should stick with it. Especially if your members can't make their point without being downright insulting. It's strictly unprofessional.

Further, you're never going to convince me that this wasn't a hugely unprofessional move for your organization that is trying to convince me to give it money to run events. You made the decision with very little time to compensate for it in the coming 'season' of your tourneys. You want to make a massive, game-changing rule for your sport (and with a competitive game you are trying to run professionally treat it like you are running any other sporting event) you don't drop it on your players suddenly. You give them time to adjust and you give them fore-warning that change is coming down the pipes.

Banning a character a month before the tourneys are supposed to start does not constitute enough time to actually learn a new character. Hence your organization is being unprofessional.
We gave 2 months notice; the first tournament (AUSOM IV) isn't until October 29th. Anyone who wants a refund because of this ban can get one.

As far as decorum goes, Slam is irritating me, which I guess is his goal anyway.

Slam, the point you made to me about not being able to get the ASL panel to agree with you isn't correct. If you read the Constitution (which I know is long), then you will notice that the "Council of Ten" (The ASL council) is elected in May. That means that the entire leadership for the League is open to being replaced. If you have enough ASL members to side with you, you could literally take the ASL off of our hands in May and do whatever you want with it.

If you agree that you do not have enough support from the AL community to repeal a MK ban, then you must also recognize that we are acting on what a large-majority of our community wants. The vote was 10-2. It was not even close.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Are you asking for my opinion or are you continuing to discuss the thing you said you wouldn't?

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Munkus, as you may have noticed, I am not currently discussing the pros/cons of a Metaknight ban. I corrected misinformation and informed Slam how our organization's elections work.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
You are discussing your organization in the context of your ban. If you want to kill the obviously derailing conversation you should just stop responding.

2 months also isn't enough time to pick up a character. I am surprised that you think so.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
they are only saying they think it is because theyre the ones not having to do it lol.
really it is tough icking up wolf ive been playing literally almost every hour today and its still barely coming. i may just have to fall back on wario.
my point is not to irritate you my point is to make a point which you have yet to see.

also ok cool so i have to get 10 other people to side with me? there was only two that voted against the ban. sooooooo.... yeah thats still impossible dont say that its not. is ganon by my name yet? im being completely serious when i say this is a joke of a season.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think it is enough time too. I kind of want to pick up wolf right now just to show how easy it is to pick up a character in this homogenized game.
WOLF SUX THO LOL
on principle, i'm against the MK ban.
But as mentioned there's way too much dumb stuff in this game as it is. MK is just one thing, so I can't really be bothered to care that much.

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
@Slam - That'd be awesome. I can house you and what not. So if ever you want to come and just chill at my place for a weekend or what not just shoot me a text. My number is in the TSS thread in the OP (I don't like posting it on the internet a lot). I only have class from noon to one on Fridays so it works out great. I'll also probably be hosting a new tournament series starting next month. I'll be sure to let AL know of course :D and you should come Slam.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
yeah im definately gonna be more active in GA now. and im guessing GA activity will dwindle down in AL probably.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
There's no way I can get my wolf or PT to a competitive level in two months against players with mains for three years while working a full time job.

That's absurd

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Scary MK-Ban discussion. I think it's funny that the only people anti-ban are MK mains :D :D No comment here btw just making an observation.

Last ditch effort to try to get AL to come to TSS this weekend, super late reminder but whatever! http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=308833&page=2 current confirmed attendance is 22 and could possibly be up to 30 or more. You guys should try to come, lol.
I would love to go, but Mobile has no working car at the moment. Probably not gonna have one until about the last week of this month.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
lol I should have made my switch to Peach right after the MK ban, to kind of give an encouraging push.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i think it is enough time too. I kind of want to pick up wolf right now just to show how easy it is to pick up a character in this homogenized game.
This, honestly. While it might be difficult to pick them up and do well in a regional, a vast majority of potential in most of the characters in this game can be picked up -really- quickly. Brawl isn't complicated at all until you get to high-level play, and even then, it's not nearly as complicated as most other fighters.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
There's no way I can get my wolf or PT to a competitive level in two months against players with mains for three years while working a full time job.

That's absurd
i dont see how all of you are discrediting this.
even if two months is supposedly enough time its still 2 months vs. 3 years.
which seems like a logical point at the very least lol

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Because I disagree with it? You've at least been playing some Wolf on the side. Play my Ike or Pit, I haven't touched either of them, and in two months time, let's see how close our match is. Pick one and I'll pick them up between then and now. Note that I only get to play maybe twice a week. Probably only once and maybe not at all.

:phone:

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Slam you haven't even played MK for 3 years. And if you play everyday like you claim then you should be able to get a working character in 2 months

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
why dont any of you guys ever believe me about anything?
i play every day. on wifi though.
i am against the ban for several reasons.
some of them personal.
some of them community based.

im not some little kid screaming random things out and throwing stuff at the wall because i am hungry and you guys are my parents who have to analyze why i am throwing stuff at a wall. i am stuffing my mouth and screaming "i am ****ing hungry" because i am hungry.
eehhh dont know if thats a good analogy.
but you guys are anaylyzing what i mean and why i mean it and im being honest.

and i play people on wifi dude they all suck lol
the good players are just spammy anyways.

and @ ryker ok i will gladly do that and have someone else midly in the position that im in. we can even make it a MM if you want so we can see how good they are on competitve level.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
i dont see how all of you are discrediting this.
even if two months is supposedly enough time its still 2 months vs. 3 years.
which seems like a logical point at the very least lol
There's a certain point where you plateau, you reach a point where you just don't get any better and are relatively the same skill. Also, playing people who are better than you is the best way to actually improve on your game. It's not impossible to catch up to the 3 year head start because you don't have to learn the entire game from scratch like they did. I'd say five or six months would be the appropriate amount of time to give while still allowing the change to take place.

Again, I'm not discussing the merits of the change. I could argue against that articulately, but it's rather moot in this environment, online, with these mindsets. It would be a pointless endeavor simply because of the difficulty inherent in anonymous arguments, not anything to do with the particular intelligence or wit of any person involved.

But while I think it's not something that is really open for a fruitful discussion, that doesn't mean I won't criticize the way this organization has handled it. Again, you want me to treat you professionally, and with respect? You should have actually had some sort of release explaining your reasoning and answering questions from the outset, not making a vague statement on how the ban is in place, tough cookies. And it was especially poor taste to shut down discussion in the one hand while insulting people opposed in the other.

Between this an the time element, I am not at all convinced that the group is something that will actually be run with the standards that it should. You can talk about how much you want to do something, but you really need to convince me with your performance, and what I have to go on is meager and disappointing.

@Mahg: Are you sure you didn't mean to refer to me? The one who hasn't played in about two years? I'm rusty, but I can easily pick up a character I have played in a couple weeks of practice. During all the time I was going to tourneys, my only real practice was at those tourneys anyway.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
why dont any of you guys ever believe me about anything?
i play every day. on wifi though.
i am against the ban for several reasons.
some of them personal.
some of them community based.

im not some little kid screaming random things out and throwing stuff at the wall because i am hungry and you guys are my parents who have to analyze why i am throwing stuff at a wall. i am stuffing my mouth and screaming "i am ****ing hungry" because i am hungry.
eehhh dont know if thats a good analogy.
but you guys are anaylyzing what i mean and why i mean it and im being honest.

and i play people on wifi dude they all suck lol
the good players are just spammy anyways.
none of you are in a postion to decide something like this in the first place. none of you have enough knowledge except for reflex. who seems pretty biased anyways bc wario has a bad MU or something idk mk isnt broken though....
Sorry, but you're sounding a little hypocritical here. You're telling me that I should trust you on what you say and that you know what you're talking about, but you do it without arguing facts. However, you tell me that I'm not in a position to have a stance on the matter.

and @ ryker ok i will gladly do that and have someone else midly in the position that im in. we can even make it a MM if you want so we can see how good they are on competitve level.
Cool by me.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Further, I would love to see everyone who supports the ban within this time-frame to please pick up a character they are not familiar with and use that exclusively for the upcoming "ASL season."

Don't be hypocritical.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Sorry, but you're sounding a little hypocritical here. You're telling me that I should trust you on what you say and that you know what you're talking about, but you do it without arguing facts. However, you tell me that I'm not in a position to have a stance on the matter.

Cool by me.
one of these is personal and the other one is strictly talking about relevance of a change made to the community (buisness) the two comparisions you made are not related. there are no facts to argue other than i can give you the fact that how i say im feeling is how i am feeling and i am not just mad bc i have to pick up an un-broken character....

also i agree with munkus about the picking up character thing. dont just sit there and say "lol its easy" but idk im cool with the MM with ryker's whoever he chooses also.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Slammy: fudge
Slammy: my state
L S D left the room.
Slammy: banned mk
Slammy: im going wolf
HD_Alure: your state sucks
El Fudge: alabama has 8 ppl
Slammy: idk
El Fudge: why would they ban mk
thetrulombari: seriously?
thetrulombardi: wow
Deox: slammy
Deox: den everyone there
Deox: is a noob

conversation i just had

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Further, I would love to see everyone who supports the ban within this time-frame to please pick up a character they are not familiar with and use that exclusively for the upcoming "ASL season."

Don't be hypocritical.
Are you dumb or do you enjoy picking arguments over the Internet despite your previous post on the matter?

You act as if this is a personal attack on you. Just because I voted for McCain doesn't mean electing Obama was a personal assault on me. I'm in no way being hypocritical when a situation that arises that affects you causes you to say things I simply don't believe. I'll play you in two months too if you need a demonstration. The situation doesn't affect me as badly as it affects you, although it does affect me, and handicapping me for no other reason than you are handicapped makes little sense in this context. I've made a challenge to accentuate my point. Dragging ASL into it is a completely irrelevant idea.

For the record, Rag is going to be in the same boat as you and Slam and he voted pro ban. I sincerely doubt it will affect his placing outside of possibly losing to Saint and Elev8 more consistently for a short period.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
im not even sure what we're discusisng any more.

play ness. just find a character to fight marths and snakes with.
read ness boards for like two days. watch videos of top ness's for two days. then play against decent human players for about two weeks and learn some stuff. then ness is tournament ready. that's all it takes really.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Are you dumb or do you enjoy picking arguments over the Internet despite your previous post on the matter?

You act as if this is a personal attack on you. Just because I voted for McCain doesn't mean electing Obama was a personal assault on me. I'm in no way being hypocritical when a situation that arises that affects you causes you to say things I simply don't believe. I'll play you in two months too if you need a demonstration. The situation doesn't affect me as badly as it affects you, although it does affect me, and handicapping me for no other reason than you are handicapped makes little sense in this context. I've made a challenge to accentuate my point. Dragging ASL into it is a completely irrelevant idea.

For the record, Rag is going to be in the same boat as you and Slam and he voted pro ban. I sincerely doubt it will affect his placing outside of possibly losing to Saint and Elev8 more consistently for a short period.

You're one of the people that voted? See, I am actually being rather civil here, despite the veiled and direct insults that the people in your organization keep throwing out. I am not getting mad or upset, and I'm not arguing the merits of the ban at all, if you will notice. I am pointing out the inconsistencies in your group's position, so follow your own advice and don't take it personally.

This isn't an argument because you don't have a defensible position. My point is that two months is not enough time to bring out a competitive character from scratch. Many people in your organization have taken the opposite stance. I am requesting that they prove their point.

Especially with the emphasis that your group has made on "community benefit" over "personal benefit." Wouldn't it follow your same logic of benefiting the community and encouraging newcomers if your initial league was composed of new characters? It certainly would, and it certainly would encourage people who actually used MK as a main to continue playing the game. If nothing else, it's a symbolic gesture by your organization that is hoping to be taken professionally that its members are not out for pecuniary gain.

So again, I say put your money where your mouth is. Give MK players a reasonable amount of time to pick up a main or drop yours for the opening season. It's not like I'm asking you to drop your main forever, just for the amount of time that would be reasonable for an MK main to pick up a new character and be competitive. Five Months.

Reflex and Cam both have indicated their position that two months is a reasonable amount of time to pick up a new character and that they made their decision not for personal gain, but to benefit the community. I am asking that they, and those that made the decision on similiar grounds, actually go through with their assertions and do what they are asking their community to do. MK mains who did vote on it are going to be just as hamstrung as the rest, as you said, and it won't affect those who did not actually have any say (and thus no way of getting personal gain from) in the A/S/L deciding body.

My assertion is that if you deny my challenge and voted in the A/S/L to ban MK with a two month lead in as oppossed to a five-six month lead-in then you are a hypocrite. This is not an insult, it is a statement of fact.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
You don't argue with people who go to Law school.

Better yet, it doesn't make fun to argue with anyone in the Alabama thread.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i'm not arguing for or against hte ban, but i know for a fact that you can have a tournament ready character in far less than two months, from scratch.

because i did it.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Ok, I'll use someone new for all the first season ASL tournaments. I will still be playing friendlies with Pikachu though.
I applaud you then. And of course, I wouldn't dream of imposing restrictions on your entire life. I'm not going to pop up from behind your window, tap the glass, and whisper "Cheater" as I stare longingly into your eyes whenever you play a pikachu in a casual match.

Top Bottom