• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
Akamaru was banned because he was basically impossible to hit if a person played correctly. Using Kiba (and consequently, Akamaru as a character-based assist, like how Kankuro uses a puppet) was fine.

Not sure about Robo-Ky, though.
i cant believe i know about akamaru's brokeness first hand.i played the game. once. with my cousin who plays all the time, i pretty much beat him when he wasnt playing that dam dog. you just cant hit him at all q.q

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i always thought robo-ky sucked. lol
i know ky was seriously almost broken though no lie...

yeah well i dont know about high level because my mk isnt high level and this is what im going off of so i believe you, reflex, and yeah, rag, it could be more interesting if anything.
w/e i trust you guys and itll at least be interesting to see at the very least.

also im kinda excited to bring my wario back lol

Aloha

Smash Cadet
The mk ban is a great thing. It'll oirk for the best slam you'll see. He's gonna get banned anyways. And finals in major tourneys are boring with mk vs mk all the damn time. Don't you get tired of seeing that, I do.
keep this up and yall community will get stronger as said by reflex! i quit cause i jus dnt find brawl competitive! but with this i may have to reconsider!

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
keep this up and yall community will get stronger as said by reflex! i quit cause i jus dnt find brawl competitive! but with this i may have to reconsider!
Brawl is still competitive with Mk...

Wait didn't you say Brawl wasn't competitive because they removed things from the game? I know I'm being a **** here but I remember you telling me that Brawl wasn't a true competitive fighter because you have to remove things out of the game to make it competitive.

Tell me if I'm wrong because I'm probably twisting your words really wrong.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
also im kinda excited to bring my wario back lol
That made me sigh in relief. I was really kinda worried about you, bro. You've improved a LOT and you didn't really seem to have that drive before a fair amount of time after you had picked up MK. A lot will carry over, I think, but I don't want you losing that drive. Reminds me too much of me because I know I want to get better at this game.

I also didn't know whether you'd go to Wario, D3, or Wolf. Any of those three characters would be cool to watch. I'm interested in playing any Wario that isn't Reflex (yes, if you read this, that means I want to play you too, Micaelis). Hell, I'm interested in taking out Reflex's Wario. I just really need a chance to try and apply some things in that match-up outside of friendlies with Rag's Wario.

~~~~~~~~~~

So without MK, I find myself lacking a character to play on RCruise/Brinstar and a character to play against Cam, Saint, and Elev8. Is it bad that I'm seriously considering Link for ICs and Pikachu if I decide to stick it out with Falco on RCruise/Brinstar (hell, I'm considering Link for RCruise/Brinstar as well).

Cam, I know you don't play money matches, so I'll leave it down at $2-$3 (that's a nice way of saying I'm not confident enough to put more on the match-up). Your Pikachu against my Link, in a best of three?

I also need to get Billy to play low tier doubles money matches as my teammate. You know you want to.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Next time I get to meet up with smashers outside of Mobile, I just want to play and give advice as well as get it.

T1J, you have trouble with Falco, let me help you out. Snake is probably the match-up I'm most comfortable in outside of G&W. I know all the ins and outs for both sides.

Ing, I keep getting bodied by Rag's Diddy and only have theory to fall back on. Give me a fresh perspective on what I can do to get better.

Kismet, I said I'd do it waaaaaaaaaay back at AUSOM 2. You're my biggest mark. I said I was gonna beat you in a tourney and I'm gonna keep improving until I can. Help me figure this damn bird out so I can do it.

Billy, show me Sheik. Sheik/Falco is a close match-up and twenty bucks says you've played it enough to know it better than I do. Get me that MU experience.

Chas, (I think that's what everyone calls DRN), dat ZSS beat me. I need to rectify that situation. Dat Falco beat your MK, you need to rectify that situation. Trade some knowledge with me.

George/Spade/Elev8, bros, I never get to play you two. Fix the problem for me.

Saint, you're trash. It's garbage day. I'm taking you out. I'm kidding man, too much love to even let this paragraph end with that salt. I gotta figure out how to do it without crutching the bat. Gimmie dem friendlies.

Ty & Twinster, it's about damn time someone else started playing the coolest character on this game (sans Link and Ganondorf, of course). I would LOVE to get a chance to see you two in a setting where we've got time to talk about how the three of us are playing.

Her-chan (man, that name is gonna stick), I don't agree with the switch you made or the reasoning you gave for it, but what the **** ever. You're too cool and I hope you do well. Let's sit down and play until your just as good with ****ing Peach.

Cheap, play me at Melee. I'm getting a LOT better at that game and looking forward to competing at the ASL events. See if you can give me a list of things to work on because Rag is balls at giving advice.

Anyone else I don't mention in this post, look me up the next time we're somewhere we can play. I will try my best to **** you up and see what we can learn from it.

I really feel like a smashfest on a day/weekend we aren't interfering with a tourney would do me a lot of good. At least as much as a tourney does and I feel I walk away from each significantly better.

Cam, play my Link. That is all. Douche.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
idk im not gonna play d3 that character is too dumb
ill be going wario/wolf if its a mu i dont like with wario.... like d3.
i didnt have drive as a wario player id say because i feel the character is extremely limited but i guess i will just have to work hard and get past my own limitations and problems with the character because he obv has potential bc alot of good warios are out there. ugg it is kind of depressing. i really enjoyed mk.

Aloha

Smash Cadet
Brawl is still competitive with Mk...

Wait didn't you say Brawl wasn't competitive because they removed things from the game? I know I'm being a **** here but I remember you telling me that Brawl wasn't a true competitive fighter because you have to remove things out of the game to make it competitive.

Tell me if I'm wrong because I'm probably twisting your words really wrong.
brawl is a fighter and it is competitive! but so is uno, candyland and hungry hungry hippoes! i just dnt find brawl hype competitive! yes i did say that mag the fact you have to ban this stage this is legal that isnt legal i do believe that it takes it away from being on a level such bas a tradtional fighter! but what alot of people dnt realize is that i play alot of fighters not just marvel. i like arcade edtion but i dnt find it as so much fun as marvel but i still love ae dnt get me wrong. mvc3 is my favorite fighter its fun to watch as well as fun to play cause as reflex said its highly offensive when playing marvel you have to quickness , orginality and sting! arcana heart 3 is what i been playing hard recently that game is amazing it requires true skill also really offensive game! brawl you can watch your marth in batttle or can watch mike hazes marth but a the end of the day im like damn its still marth f air heavily omg mindgames! lol but you watch arcana heart 3 on top level play and that **** would be hype as fuccc

kismet2

Smash Ace
Next time I get to meet up with smashers outside of Mobile, I just want to play and give advice as well as get it.

T1J, you have trouble with Falco, let me help you out. Snake is probably the match-up I'm most comfortable in outside of G&W. I know all the ins and outs for both sides.

Ing, I keep getting bodied by Rag's Diddy and only have theory to fall back on. Give me a fresh perspective on what I can do to get better.

Kismet, I said I'd do it waaaaaaaaaay back at AUSOM 2. You're my biggest mark. I said I was gonna beat you in a tourney and I'm gonna keep improving until I can. Help me figure this damn bird out so I can do it.

Billy, show me Sheik. Sheik/Falco is a close match-up and twenty bucks says you've played it enough to know it better than I do. Get me that MU experience.

Chas, (I think that's what everyone calls DRN), dat ZSS beat me. I need to rectify that situation. Dat Falco beat your MK, you need to rectify that situation. Trade some knowledge with me.

George/Spade/Elev8, bros, I never get to play you two. Fix the problem for me.

Saint, you're trash. It's garbage day. I'm taking you out. I'm kidding man, too much love to even let this paragraph end with that salt. I gotta figure out how to do it without crutching the bat. Gimmie dem friendlies.

Ty & Twinster, it's about damn time someone else started playing the coolest character on this game (sans Link and Ganondorf, of course). I would LOVE to get a chance to see you two in a setting where we've got time to talk about how the three of us are playing.

Her-chan (man, that name is gonna stick), I don't agree with the switch you made or the reasoning you gave for it, but what the **** ever. You're too cool and I hope you do well. Let's sit down and play until your just as good with ****ing Peach.

Cheap, play me at Melee. I'm getting a LOT better at that game and looking forward to competing at the ASL events. See if you can give me a list of things to work on because Rag is balls at giving advice.

Anyone else I don't mention in this post, look me up the next time we're somewhere we can play. I will try my best to **** you up and see what we can learn from it.

I really feel like a smashfest on a day/weekend we aren't interfering with a tourney would do me a lot of good. At least as much as a tourney does and I feel I walk away from each significantly better.

Cam, play my Link. That is all. Douche.
yeah no problem at the asl tournaments i can give more advice and see what you need help with

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
Ryker: I'M TAKING YOU TO GODDAMN RAINBOW CRUISE NOW HAHAHAHAHHAHAHHA

And we definitely should have a huge Smashfest like that; I certainly need the experience myself. Isn't there going to be one at AU sometime soon?

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
@everyone, play my ness.

@bham, lets do something this week o3o.

@LoL, why make the camera so complicated, cant i just have a plain RTS style camera where i drag my mouse to the edge and you move?? -.-

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Realistically, pretty much every state wants to do something about Meta Knight, and it's not like we're the first people to suggest or enforce such a ban in the Brawl community. People don't ban him because they don't want to be among the first people to potentially divide the community, but the people who are against it tend to be those who aren't at high-level play (and therefore can't understand everything that the character is capable of) or don't have the community's best interest at heart (MK players who like easy money and enjoy ignoring the counterpick system; people who believe that it's fine if an overwhelming majority of the game revolved around Meta Knight; people who don't care that the game would be ten times more balanced and varied without Meta Knight).

With the ASL, we're trying to do something different in the way that tournaments happen in many ways; best-case scenario, the ideas pick up elsewhere because they succeed here. This is just another thing that we're doing to try and change the way the community does things, to make it more professional so that people in general know that we know what we're doing, and take us seriously as a result. (No, I'm not talking about SRK elitists; I'm talking about laypersons who we ask to look for a venue and interested beginners looking for a chance to play/learn the game.)
Also, way to call people on the opposite side from you stupid and/or selfish. Class act.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i dont know that i would agree that metaknight is "impossible to realistically react to", considering how often its done at a high level. he's just the best character. i'm officially for the ban though, simply because A. mk is lame and whatever, one more lame thing i dont have to deal with. and B. it'll be an interesting experiment.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
this is lame
playing with wario and wolf is boring dude. ive been playing all day today and its just lame i dont wanna main them... i might just quit. i dont wanna travel to play with characters who are boring and i dont like to play with. blah i may try once but its thats about it i just dont like them i was into metaknight at this point and time and now i cant play the character i enjoy and i dont enjoy anyone else.
cool.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
And we definitely should have a huge Smashfest like that; I certainly need the experience myself. Isn't there going to be one at AU sometime soon?
What's everyone doing for labor day weekend? I know this is super short notice, but what does everyone think about a possible smashfest in P.C./and or AU?

this is lame
playing with wario and wolf is boring dude. ive been playing all day today and its just lame i dont wanna main them... i might just quit. i dont wanna travel to play with characters who are boring and i dont like to play with. blah i may try once but its thats about it i just dont like them i was into metaknight at this point and time and now i cant play the character i enjoy and i dont enjoy anyone else.
cool.
:( this bums me out :( Just play everyone until you find someone you like! I don't know, it starting to seem like the decision to ban may have been done prematurely. I know that i'm going to start falling back on characters i like to play. I'm going to be playing a lot more yoshi. I just really like him :cool:

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Also, Candyland is not competitive. The game is literally decided the moment you shuffle the deck. Your argument is flawed.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
:( this bums me out :( Just play everyone until you find someone you like! I don't know, it starting to seem like the decision to ban may have been done prematurely. I know that i'm going to start falling back on characters i like to play. I'm going to be playing a lot more yoshi. I just really like him :cool:
its just dumb. i was really passionate about getting good with mk. i just cant force myself to travel and waste more of my time on something i really dont like now.

ill try wolf at one tournament or something but thats stupid as **** to play with such a gimmicky character and i dont like his ariel game either. i dont want to be another player who is held down by playing a dumb mediocre character and become another statistic.
im not interested in learning anyone but mk and also i feel like i was just getting to a break through with him. also i simply do not like any other character enough to want to waste so much of my time learning them competitvely. i dont want to be a ****ing stupid wario main. i dont want to be a snake main. i want to be a metaknight main and i dont see why i shouldnt have that right.

if it goes through 99 percent chance im out. or im out of the AL scene at least.

i shouldnt be forced to go in a direction im not interested in just to please other people. and espicially im not gonna waste my money on it.
maybe i can just go OoS only if anything but im kinda scared of getting lost lol

*Cam*

Smash Lord
its just dumb. i was really passionate about getting good with mk. i just cant force myself to travel and waste more of my time on something i really dont like now.

ill try wolf at one tournament or something but thats stupid as **** to play with such a gimmicky character and i dont like his ariel game either. i dont want to be another player who is held down by playing a dumb mediocre character and become another statistic.
im not interested in learning anyone but mk and also i feel like i was just getting to a break through with him. also i simply do not like any other character enough to want to waste so much of my time learning them competitvely. i dont want to be a ****ing stupid wario main. i dont want to be a snake main. i want to be a metaknight main and i dont see why i shouldnt have that right.

if it goes through 99 percent chance im out. or im out of the AL scene at least.

i shouldnt be forced to go in a direction im not interested in just to please other people. and espicially im not gonna waste my money on it.
maybe i can just go OoS only if anything but im kinda scared of getting lost lol
Drew (Ryker) wants to have an ELO setup at every ASL tournament. Essentially, two players would agree to play a set at the setup, and an ASL witness would be near the setup to account for the matches. The set count, whatever it may be, would go towards the ASL ELO rankings. It would be like playing a bracket match without the brackets or a money match without putting money on the line. I don't see any reason why MK would be banned at the ELO setup.

Other than that, I can tell you that the MK ban was decided by a great majority of the people on the ASL council. The vote was 10-2 in favor of ban. We didn't decide this because we hate MK, and we didn't make the decision on a whim either. It's especially not about shutting down any specific MK players. We talked it out and concluded that banning MK would be the healthiest thing for the community to grow. We also concluded that the BBR would never actually act on a MK ban unless some states took the initiative first. We are trying to pioneer many new things with the ASL, and this just happens to be one of those things.

If you decide to quit Brawl, then that's up to you. We don't want you to, but we can't force you to stay either. I would reiterate that there are like 37 other characters in the game to choose from and 2 months before the first League tournament. You could take this opportunity to get better with your D3 or pick up someone new. You do have time to learn another character if you are so inclined.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Also, way to call people on the opposite side from you stupid and/or selfish. Class act.
There's no particularly tactful way to say that my conclusions lead me to think that the people against it are either selfish or don't understand the game well enough to see it (I never said stupid). That's just the view that I currently sit at, because I haven't heard an anti-ban argument that makes me think anything else.

Either way, it's all for the community. I'm all for the greater good.

Also, Wolf is one of the least gimmicky characters in the game, I would say. He's just got a lot of straight-up good fundamentals, but he gets screwed by anything that one could consider lame in Brawl.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
@Ryker mention me maor

@mc-Killar: press Y in LoL to unlock the camera and have it drag. Don't forget to change the screen speed.

@Kola: umadbro

@Aloha: Just because you have to ban stuff doesn't make it not hype competitive. Think about some of the stages in the game that you wouldn't lie to play on. And Smash is made like a party game where there are more ways to play then a flat stage with no difference between the levels. idgaf if you don't consider it a fighter but if youre dropping it because you don't see it as a competitive fighter then thats stupid. Play it like a competitve party game like Mario Party. Me and Ben/Spade play it all the time now and we talk about frame rates and other things. Sure we get ***** by a Peach on hard (no homo) but we still have fun and compete.

@raf: n gghuhs don't know about my Yoshi

@slam: find another character please. If they banned Diddy I would pick up PT/Falco/Wario/D3 in a heart beat. I find Diddy fun but it feels so good to beat people with Ivysuar that I can't put Pt down. I know you don't seriously have people to play on a consistent level but if someone holds a smashfest play random until you find someone you like.

@Huntsville/Cam: I think I'm going home this weekend. So no smashfest for me til like monday I think. I might be getting my car fixed so yay.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Drew (Ryker) wants to have an ELO setup at every ASL tournament. Essentially, two players would agree to play a set at the setup, and an ASL witness would be near the setup to account for the matches. The set count, whatever it may be, would go towards the ASL ELO rankings. It would be like playing a bracket match without the brackets or a money match without putting money on the line. I don't see any reason why MK would be banned at the ELO setup.

If you decide to quit Brawl, then that's up to you. We don't want you to, but we can't force you to stay either. I would reiterate that there are like 37 other characters in the game to choose from and 2 months before the first League tournament. You could take this opportunity to get better with your D3 or pick up someone new. You do have time to learn another character if you are so inclined.
it took me a year to learn mk and to even stand a chance in tournament. what makes you think i can train a competitve character in this amount of time? learn all the Mu's and everything. its not gonna happen dude. like i said it took me a year and now you are just pulling the rug out from under me. it may not have been the motive behind this stupid ban but it is definately an effect it is having.
99 percent chance im out. done.

@slam: find another character please. If they banned Diddy I would pick up PT/Falco/Wario/D3 in a heart beat. I find Diddy fun but it feels so good to beat people with Ivysuar that I can't put Pt down. I know you don't seriously have people to play on a consistent level but if someone holds a smashfest play random until you find someone you like.

no you wouldnt. you would not go all PT in tournament. sure friendlies would be cool but you cant tell me youd be happy to be reduced down to PT for the entirety of your smash career.

have fun with your little scrubby mid tier lol tournaments AL im going to GA or quitting peace and have fun cleaning your pocket protectors with ****ing frame data while i go play this ****ing game. ill go to like one tournament with wolf and try to learn him for the next two months but guess what? that will just set back my mk for real competitive events. oh thats cool. and ill have some useless mid tiet gimmick up my sleeve for scrubby AL when i have to enter their mid tier tournaments. oh cool. that sounds like fun.... seriously **** this state.

NinjaFoxX

Banned via Warnings
so get this.
ive played a bad character for 2 years and have gotten nowhere, then i pick someone else up i feel confy with just now. based on my past knowledge of the game and how matchups worked with my previous main. i should be able to pick up the new main for tourneys if i got 2 months of hardcore practice.

ergo. dont give up yet x.x they nerfed my rachel to complete unplayableness and after awhile i got adapted to a new main. go try sonic hes kinda fun.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
ok mm your pt, mahg. we prolly gotta go do it in a cave though so AL doesnt see mk and make tornado johns and whip out their frame data out of their pocket protectors.

@mc-killa, MU's are different with different characters though. i dont think any of it carries over >_> it sucks.

@janitor, you had like 2 months. and you wanted to pick up pit. i have no motivation to main a character i dont like. it is not johns. banning mk is johns. and plus i can just travel OoS and go to real competitve events where i can learn this game and not just play it on a mid tier lol "I dunt Respek u iF u R usNinG A HIGH TIeeeerr cHaraCter Lol ONly Respektble ppl Use GanoNN lOOLL!" level, which is now what AL is so im out of here before this place's smash scene burns to the ground. oh and i already learned the Ganon Mu with wolf so i should be good for AL. word whats up yall.

this state is seriously lol

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
If that's your attitude, then good riddance to bad rubbish. That's got to be the worst thing I've ever read in this thread and if you've read any of my conversations with Janitor, then you know I've seen some ****. You want to improve, I'll do anything in my power to help you. You want to insult people by misconstruing or straight up ignoring what they have to say, then see ya.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
mahg if you are confident that you can beat my broken unrespectable character with a low tier THEN WHY DID YOU VOTE TO GET IT BANNED? THATS AN OXYMORON

and im not misconstruing, this is what you guys are straight up. i dont see what im ignoring. how are you going to help me improve when i cant use a character in brawl in the state of alabama lool i guess come to georgia and play me? awesome ASL.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i literaly responded to everyone that talked to me....
and how can you expect me not to be mad when you guys just pulled the rug out of one year of gameplay for me....
there is a reason why the BBR hasnt made a decision on the ban and its not because they are too scared to and we are being crusaders of the smash community by doing it. its because the BBR isnt scrubs and ****iies and you guys are that they havent banned mk and we have.

none of you are in a postion to decide something like this in the first place. none of you have enough knowledge except for reflex. who seems pretty biased anyways bc wario has a bad MU or something idk mk isnt broken though....

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Thanks for telling me how much I know. Thanks for telling me that I didn't do the research. Thanks for telling me I don't know what I'm talking about. I guess I better look in the mirror and reevaluate myself because you're arguments against this move are so stunning.

"idk mk isnt broken though...."

How did I not see this before?

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
and it will literally burrough AL to the bottom of the smash scene.
how are we going to compete against mk's at nationals or regionals now?
do you think people will honestly see Alabama ban mk and follow suit?
you guys are getting a little delusional if you think ASL is going to change the entire community.
and honestly if you are doing it to change the community, then that is dumb bc no one cares about AL.
if you are doing it to change OUR community then that is also dumb bc WE DONT HAVE A MK PROBLEM.
the highest ranked mk is number 3 wtf
so i cant see you guys doing it for any other reason other than selfish reasons which is scrubby which in turn will turn us into a scrubby state who cant compete and this dumb state where everyone only plays "respectable" characters and does ganon dittos in GF's for the lulzz and that is not what im about. i am a serious player who wants to learn how to play the game on a national level and wants to learn everything there is to offer about brawl without limitations, which is no longer what ASL or AL is about.

also research does not take the palce of actual experiance, which you or no one else except for reflex has on a national level here. and he seems pretty biased. also i have experiance with maining mk and i dont think he is broken so idk for sure honestly but i think i know more about mk than you do through experiance and limited research bc i dont like to research lol.

but like i said ill play yalls little stupid ASL game and sign up for this season until you guys become disillusioned and realize there is no point for a mk ban in alabama and if you dont then im out. im still pissed that i have to learn wolf. the only reason i am signing up for this season is because one torunament will be as expensive as signing up for the season so i may as well but i will be traveling to GA to actually compete during this ASL season so i dont lose touch with the real community.

Top Bottom