• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
lol this ^

yeah jan jan thats just how i talk to ppl that i am cool with and if you are straight with it then we are pretty much cool one hundred percent cuz youre just cool with me then. i dont mean any offense its just the only way ive been talking since as long as i can remember.
glad sometimes peole understand that. i just want people to laugh at it or either see through it and realize its just how i am and not take things so literall

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I wish there was more "I'm sure I'm going"

Then the awesome idea of Reflex Carpool could happen. :o
That would be fine, but I don't think I could risk taking my car there. That's a loooong drive.

I have no problem driving, but I don't think my car would be too happy about it. If someone else donates a vehicle to the cause, I'd be happy to drive it.

My plan for APEX is this--Billy says he wouldn't mind driving/using his car. If I don't get word from him or anyone else about it at around mid-October, I'm just buying a plane ticket.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
as a disclaimer: if you are not interested in this conversation please just skip the post and talk about something else rather than ***** and moan about it.

take daigo and air. both top ryu players. I highly doubt daigo knows much more about street fighter than air does. but daigo has a more winning record against top players, because he's just smarter and more clever.
your friends don't win national tournaments. I'm not talking about casual or mid level play. We all suck at this level, no matter what game it is.
I don't mean "frame data" when I say "game knowledge". I mean knowing everything thats possible to do in the game, knowing how the stages work, and knowing all the intricacies of the matchups. what works on certain characters in what situations. I don't believe you know anyone "who knows all that stuff" that isn't winning tournaments. It's not possible to know all that stuff without having a **** load of tournament experience with good players.

I dont know anything about GNT4, but as mentioned there are obviously aspects of other games that require knowledge of the game. But in general, they are easy to quickly learn because they make sense. and they rarely, in and of themselves make you a better player just by knowing them. in brawl, its the opposite, I'd say. if you take a group of scrubby casual players who are about even in skill, and tell one of them than they can cancel their shield into a grab. I would bet money that player would begin winning much more than the others. I don't think there are very many simple facets of knowlege like that in other games that instantly make you a better player.

I apologize but I don't think I understand the point you're trying to make in this particular paragraph. Punishing falling opponents (whether they're airdodging or not) with grabs is like one of the central aspects of this game. Just knowing that you can do that, I think is necessary to competing at a high level. But again, I may not have gotten your point.

I don't really see it. I don't want to seem like I'm saying game knowledge is not important in other games, bc it is, its just not "what makes you good". games like MK9 and SF4 are heavy with hi-low mixups and whiff/block punishes. These games force you to be clever and unpredictable because there's nothing that always works in all situations. in brawl, you can pick Wario and run away the whole time against most characters on many stages. if you know the range of your character's moves, and have good execution, you can literally just jump around until you see an opening. it works every time. this will only fail if YOU **** up, or if you decide to do something less safe for some reason. (depending on the matchup). this isn't creativity. this is just knowing that you can do something with your character. (which isn't bad, i want to reiterate. i'm just differentiating brawl from other games)

in fighting games, grab beats block, block beats attack, and depending on the game, either attack beats grab or grabs can be tech'd if you're expecting them. That's all good, makes sense, right? In brawl, block beats attack, grab beats block. grab beats attack? what? grabs can't be tech'd? what? okay. that doesn't make sense, but now I know it, and will apply it to my gameplay. again, i'm not saying that this makes brawl bad. I'm just saying this doesn't make sense. There are some examples of weird things in other games like this but i think there are far more in brawl. in fact I kind of think thats about about 90% of the game.

I think the common thread among all games, video or otherwise, that people consider competitive is either that A. it allows a significant amount of knowledge, creativity and cleverness and rewards you for it, and B. there is a significant paper-rock-scissors (or the general idea of "there being a possible counter for everything you do") aspect in the rules and mechanics of the game. Even a game like poker which has a huge element of luck involved still is a very legit competitive game because it meets these standards. I feel like most of the major competitive fighting games today (the one that people play in tournaments the most) meet these standards more than any Smash game. but apparently there are those that disagree.

I like brawl. I love brawl honestly. I think it's more fun than any other fighting game. I feel myself challenged by it. I don't mind gaining knowledge in order become better at it. Perhaps down the road I will see that my theory is wrong, but so far it seems to be working out.
It's hard to tell. Both Daigo and Air clearly know a great deal about the game, and they're both considered top Ryu players (well, Daigo's made the jump to Yun, but, whatever), but Daigo supposedly has the "psychic DP" where he appears to hard read moves and slam them often. Of course, that's becoming pretty commonplace these days. Invincibility on startup is a HUGE advantage that people simply didn't take enough advantage of in the past, and now that people take less damage than ever before (in Street Fighter 4, anyway), it's easier for people to take that risk when people can CANCEL the move and either make it safe or combo into other moves.

That's not to say that Daigo doesn't have an excellent understanding of "what works." In a game like Street Fighter, there are only so many viable options in any given situation, but often reacting in a way that is not considered "textbook" throws people off, since they've trained themselves to watch for a small subset of options. Given that, it's not really "being creative," as much as it is knowing what could work and what the opponent "should" do. I don't know how long Air has been playing competitive fighting games, but Daigo's been at this for a long time, so he knows how important this is, for sure, which is why he often makes such "ballsy" calls, when they really end up as the best possible options, since they're not what the opponent was expecting.

It's not true that people can't know how all the (important) stages and matchups work without going to tournaments and getting their *** handed to them. Most of my improvement came from hanging out at Calvin's house and playing Brawl with him for hours at a time. You just need people who want to get better, and you need to think about improvements, both for yourself and for your opponent(s). Figuring out improvements for yourself will allow you to improve, and helping out your opponent will force you to improve.

There isn't much to the stages in Brawl. Most stages are quite straightforward. For Lylat and Smashville, learn to platform cancel. For weird stages like Brinstar, just play around on it in friendlies a little bit and figure out how everything works. All of this is made significantly easier by looking up stuff about it on Smashboards, too.

As far as matchups go, what's the problem? There isn't a significantly greater number of things to consider than in any other game. There aren't that many viable characters. Meta Knight breaks the game, and the characters that can realistically put up a fight are Snake (I guess), Falco, Marth, Diddy Kong, Ice Climbers, Pikachu, Olimar, and Wario. Other characters are too few and far between or too bad for it to matter significantly.

Snake pulls grenades, has a stupid DACUS, and has dumb range. Get used to B-Reverses, and get good at getting him off the ground, juggling, and edgeguarding him.

Falco has an amazing jab, a nice chaingrab, a gun, and a teleportation device. Don't ever put yourself in a position to get B-Air'd at high percents, and watch out for the occasional DACUS, and he won't be able to KO you. Don't be too aggressive, and attempt to bait out his Forward-B. Punish it hard when you can.

Marth is vulnerable when he's above you, and he spends a lot of time swinging his sword in certain directions. His grab should mean very little to you. Try to get used to the timing of his sword swings and get in with Brawl's ridiculous defensive options. Put him in the air and juggle him. Don't force neutral animations, as he has far better options than you in that.

Diddy Kong can do really nasty things to you from a shield. Try to keep at least one banana away from him, and don't approach when he has complete control of two. Learn how to Instant Throw and make good use of bananas yourself. Watch out for his F-Air, try to juggle him, and get good at edgeguarding him.

These are really basic, but this is about ninety percent of what you'll have to keep in mind in those matchups. How is it hard to grasp? Sure, that doesn't make the matchups easy, but it's not because things don't make sense.

Your example of teaching a casual about shieldgrabbing is silly, because that's the equivalent of teaching a casual player about air combos in Marvel (vs. Capcom 2, so I don't get called out on the tutorial mode of 3 or whatever). It's an important part of competitive gameplay that is part of the basics that every competitive player should know. I bet one casual would beat another every time in Street Fighter if only the first one knows how throws work.

I'm saying that some characters make better use of other vulnerabilities than others. Diddy Kong doesn't abuse airdodges to the ground as well as, say, Ice Climbers. It's not really a big part of Diddy's game. Also, for a character like Wario, it's near impossible to grab his landing. I think you're exaggerating how integral it is to competitive play somewhat.

A good blockstring can't get punished by anything but a hard read, and in that case, it isn't the blockstring that is getting punished. Throwing in the occasional throw or overhead attack can lead to good damage, but I don't see how that's any different than the smart use of a grab or Up-B invincibility when you're up close. You can totally pressure people into staying in their shield or throwing out a move, and that's smart play, regardless of the fighting game.

It's usually rather difficult to run away with Wario for long periods of time against good characters. He has no projectile (except for tires, which causes you to take a great risk by putting your bike on the stage and breaking it), outright bad range, and the flat/plat layout of most stages makes it so that he has to take a risk to pass through the opponent more often than he'd like. Wario on Brinstar or Rainbow Cruise is a whole different thing, but he has to have lost the previous game to get it anyway, right? Wario takes significantly more thought to play efficiently than most people would think, whether he's camping or approaching. He is incredibly good at punishing mistakes, but those mistakes happen less often as people get better, so he's not left with a ton of really good things at high-level play, because "just jumping around until you see an opening" doesn't work when you have to create those openings in the first place. I would argue that he's one of the most difficult characters to make work in high-level play, even (though he's definitely great in a general sense, regardless).

The fact that you feel like all fighting games should work this way doesn't mean that they do. Grab doesn't beat attack; the fastest grab in the game is frame 6, and almost everyone's jab (and some tilts, even) beats that. Granted, it's not like Def Jam Vendetta: Fight for NY, where if you're in any part of your punch/kick animation, you counter the grapple, but it's not like grab beats out every attack attempt, either. Also, most grabs in the game have rather bad range when compared to standard poking options, so when you keep general spacing tools in mind, I would definitely say that attacks beats grabs. There are exceptions in other games, too; parrying in Third Strike, for instance, allows grabs to beat attacks. "Meaty" attacks (the term for when you hit somebody with an attack later than usual, like if they're getting up off the ground) helps make attacks beat blocking in a lot of situations. Safe jumps, tick throwing...I would say that this happens less often in Smash than any other game. I would definitely say that you're looking at the game incorrectly if you think that "exceptions" are a large part of Brawl; everything is pretty set in stone, outside of, like, Mach Tornado. :(

Out of curiosity, do you feel that common touch-of-death (like MvC3, where you can easily lose two characters due to a single mistake) affects how competitive a game is? Also, rock-paper-scissors only works out well in fighting game scenarios if rock is really, really good, paper is mediocre but is "good" because it beats rock, and scissors is alright, but certainly no rock. I feel that Brawl has plenty of that. Also, I think that poker is a rather bad competitive game.

stealth3654

Smash Lord
That would be fine, but I don't think I could risk taking my car there. That's a loooong drive.

I have no problem driving, but I don't think my car would be too happy about it. If someone else donates a vehicle to the cause, I'd be happy to drive it.

My plan for APEX is this--Billy says he wouldn't mind driving/using his car. If I don't get word from him or anyone else about it at around mid-October, I'm just buying a plane ticket.
If I get a full car, I would gladly drive up there.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Out of curiosity, do you feel that common touch-of-death (like MvC3, where you can easily lose two characters due to a single mistake) affects how competitive a game is? Also, rock-paper-scissors only works out well in fighting game scenarios if rock is really, really good, paper is mediocre but is "good" because it beats rock, and scissors is alright, but certainly no rock. I feel that Brawl has plenty of that. Also, I think that poker is a rather bad competitive game.
I think true competition provides a counter for everything that is possible to do. There should be very few moves/movesets that are just really good and are really difficult to stop. that's how you end up with a metaknight. the hi-mid-lo attack structure in many 2d fighting games is brilliant. it forces you to think and be smart, because everything you do can be stopped potentially. i feel like being good in brawl is all about finding gimmicks that are really difficult to stop, more than actually reading your opponents or doing smart stuff over the course of the game. i feel it could be different at the highest level, but I dont know. sometimes I see players like Ally do stuff that's not supposed to work and make it happen, so I guess that could be considered creativity. but who knows. honestly i feel like if you took all the top tier characters out of this game, I probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.

as for death combos and such, I think it depends on how its carried out, and whether the players understand how the game works. when i first got mvc3 i thought X-Factor was completely broken and akin to Tripping in brawl in its retardedness. But after watching high level players compete I believe I understand how it works. Lots of good fighting games have "desperation" moves like this, and if you play MVC3 while keeping in mind that you and your opponent have varying levels of X-factor it arguably adds yet another dynamic to the gameplay. e.g Should I try this here, knowing my opponent still has xfactor?
I think that since you have 3 characters in mvc3 a lot of people look at it like you have "3 lives", so 100% combos seem dumb, but I thought its more like you have one life shared by 3 people, so losing one of them is roughly the same as losing 1/3 of your life, which is normal for a fighting game. Obviously your offensive and defensive options decrease the fewer characters you have, but I think people kind of exaggerate it. if for example, it were possible to completely win the match with one combo without using a one-time-only move like x-factor. that would be broken. i disagree about poker, but that's a different discussion we can have if you'd like haha.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i forget what you call it but you can swap in characters after each special and potentially kill the opponents entire team.
the next characters just comes on screen and lands into a special which you continue, then call out your next character who lands onto the screen automatically doing his special along with an assist and some other stuff idk.

its totally possible, and i think its actually quite common to lose all three of your characters or at the least 2 of your characters with the remaining one having only half of his life left, due to one mistake you make.
the losing 1/3 of your life thing is like a scrub thing i think, people usually anticipate two of their characters being gone due to a mistake. or at least the 2nd one basically rendered useless once on field.
in high level play that is. and most mid level too.

plus not to mention mvc3 has waaay lower health bars than any other fighting game ive ever played. even the tanks on there dont have as much health as a standard SF char.
or maybe it just seems like that cuz marvel has ways to dimish health retardedly fast.

also if you are stating that true competition provides a counter for everything, then wit and creativity would not be rewarded, and in fact game knowledge/knowledge of each counter would be the only thing rewarded. and that basically goes back on your entire argument that smash sucks because you just need to know stuid counters to things and SRK rules because you have to be creative and think.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
It might be possible to kill an entire team in one combo, but it is definitely not common or easy. I'm not actually sure that it's possible though.
mvc3 has lower health bars because theres three characters per team lol that's the point. if you add it all up its a normal health bar. losing two of your characters is not as big a deal as you guys make it out to be, because you have level 3 X-factor. you're still at a disadvantage obviously, but its not broken at all.

your last paragraph doesn't make sense. obviously you have to learn what counters what, but that takes about 30 seconds to learn, and just knowing that is alone going to make you any better at the game. you will have to find clever and creative ways to apply that knowledge. that's definition of a mixup. if you dragon punch someone and dash up to their body, you have the knowledge that they can peform a wakeup reversal, which you can block. they can wake up and block high, when you can beat with a low attack. they can wake up and block low which you can beat with an overhead. etc. etc. just knowing that isn't going to help anything? smash has mixups as well, but most of the ones it does have are unbalanced and shallow because there is generally always something that you can do that's safe every time, especially if you are playing a top tier character.

I've thought about my statements and want to add on to what I've been saying. I think players like Reflex and Ally and a few others probably are quite clever and creative and unpredictable when they play brawl. They do weird stuff that the opponent isn't expecting. So I will admit, thats one way to play the game, if you're good at it. But I do not believe that this is the optimal way to play the game. I don't think the game necessarily rewards you for playing this way. There are way too many safe options for it to be worth it to risk getting hit by doing "clever" things.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
it takes 30 seconds to learn what counters are in mvc3 also.
and mixups are very importat in brawl. you may bot be immideiatly rewarded but it will come. i franky dont see how its any different than any other game. i think the problem is that you are acting liek a sensia at both of these games when you are mediocre at best at all of them so of course your facts about what they game ACTUALLY is and how to ACTUALLY play it is going to be wrong on both levels.
and cleverness is really the only way to learn brawl.
if you are just straight up fighting and spacing then that is basically just brawl 101

i asked kismet how to make me better and we had a long discussion but he basically said one of the most important things is to go to do something that you are about to do but then dont do it which opens the opponent to expect something so you can better arrange an opening later on down the line. like instead of just shield poking with fair from mk walk up like you are going to do a fair and stand back and see hwat opening you have made because of your mindgame. and to do this you have to know how your opponent reacts to certain situations and and the numerous factors that come in to play when they dont have the chance to react that you may capalize on. if that isnt intellegence then idk what is in fighting games. its better than just rush down, duck, duck again because thye expect you to stand up then get an overhead on a chareacter. actually its the same exact thing.
and brawl may have weird physcis but that is just part of the game. the only viable thing that could make a fighter "better" than brawl is that they dont have weird physics but if you are a smash player then these weird physics become the norm for you which actualy makes them simply normal pyshcis unless you are a scrub and are like "wtf tornados just beat my turnips!"

Micaelis

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MicaelisX
Intense debate going on. You guys are blowing up the AL social. Almost tempted to read it all... almost, lol.

Kind of sad it doesn't seem like AL is actively trying to show up to TSS but it's k. I understand that no one wants to drive/pay the money. You guys should try to show up for Bulldog Brawl though because that's been posted up for months now and you have no excuse to not show :p I'm coming to all of your tourneys! /endguilttrip

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I'm stuck without a car Micaelis, : ( but I do want to go.

I hope a carpool heads to Bulldog Brawl

Aloha

Smash Cadet
Boy stop!

and mixups are very importat in brawl. you may bot be immideiatly rewarded but it will come. i franky dont see how its any different than any other game. i think the problem is that you are acting liek a sensia at both of these games when you are mediocre at best at all of them so of course your facts about what they game ACTUALLY is and how to ACTUALLY play it is going to be wrong on both levels.
if you are just straight up fighting and spacing then that is basically just brawl 101

i asked kismet how to make me better and we had a long discussion but he basically said one of the most important things is to go to do something that you are about to do but then dont do it which opens the opponent to expect something so you can better arrange an opening later on down the line. like instead of just shield poking with fair from mk walk up like you are going to do a fair and stand back and see hwat opening you have made because of your mindgame. and to do this you have to know how your opponent reacts to certain situations and and the numerous factors that come in to play when they dont have the chance to react that you may capalize on. if that isnt intellegence then idk what is in fighting games. its better than just rush down, duck, duck again because thye expect you to stand up then get an overhead on a chareacter. actually its the same exact thing.
and brawl may have weird physcis but that is just part of the game. the only viable thing that could make a fighter "better" than brawl is that they dont have weird physics but if you are a smash player then these weird physics become the norm for you which actualy makes them simply normal pyshcis unless you are a scrub and are like "wtf tornados just beat my turnips!"
you no nothing about mvc3 slam. you cant compare mvc3 to brawl in any way shape form or fashion. listen to yourself and what you are writing and typing. it take 30 seconds to learn what a counter is quote as said by austin! bruh kevin never said he was a pro but when i read what he is typing it makes alot of sense ! you dnt really play any other fighters besides brawl and the sad thing is even though it may be considered a fighter it still will never earn respect like bb, sf,kof, darkstalkers, meltyblood,
arcana hearts. gg, and etc i know your gonna defend smash alll day but ask yourself why are people who play traditional fighters dnt respect brawl???? but yet that dnt complain about any other fighter well maybe mk9 lol! but still not as bad as smash! to be honest since brawl is a fighter hell lets make dragonball z a fighter hell naruto as well. hell ! fight night i guess they are fighters lol! slam i would love to play u in mvc3 since its so easy to learn homie! any of you smashers in alabama who want some of me in mvc3 come and get bodied! real figters = fightsticks oh yea! i guess raw vs smackdown its a fighter and wwe legends lets throw that into the mix! brawl is so funny like the joker from batman! now where yo curly mustache at??????????

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think true competition provides a counter for everything that is possible to do. There should be very few moves/movesets that are just really good and are really difficult to stop. that's how you end up with a metaknight. the hi-mid-lo attack structure in many 2d fighting games is brilliant. it forces you to think and be smart, because everything you do can be stopped potentially. i feel like being good in brawl is all about finding gimmicks that are really difficult to stop, more than actually reading your opponents or doing smart stuff over the course of the game. i feel it could be different at the highest level, but I dont know. sometimes I see players like Ally do stuff that's not supposed to work and make it happen, so I guess that could be considered creativity. but who knows. honestly i feel like if you took all the top tier characters out of this game, I probably wouldn't even be having this conversation.

as for death combos and such, I think it depends on how its carried out, and whether the players understand how the game works. when i first got mvc3 i thought X-Factor was completely broken and akin to Tripping in brawl in its retardedness. But after watching high level players compete I believe I understand how it works. Lots of good fighting games have "desperation" moves like this, and if you play MVC3 while keeping in mind that you and your opponent have varying levels of X-factor it arguably adds yet another dynamic to the gameplay. e.g Should I try this here, knowing my opponent still has xfactor?
I think that since you have 3 characters in mvc3 a lot of people look at it like you have "3 lives", so 100% combos seem dumb, but I thought its more like you have one life shared by 3 people, so losing one of them is roughly the same as losing 1/3 of your life, which is normal for a fighting game. Obviously your offensive and defensive options decrease the fewer characters you have, but I think people kind of exaggerate it. if for example, it were possible to completely win the match with one combo without using a one-time-only move like x-factor. that would be broken. i disagree about poker, but that's a different discussion we can have if you'd like haha.
The hi-mid-low structure breaks down in a lot of games for various reasons, though. In Tekken, people tend to stick with safe attacks to start their combos if they get a lucky counter hit (like that ****ing chop that Bob players use as 80% of his gameplay). In that case, why use a hi attack when a mid covers all your bases? Nobody jumps in that game. :p MvC3 has unblockable set-ups that are incredibly difficult for most of the game to deal with outside of simply superjumping away, with overheads and assists hitting low or being invincible.

Traditionally, it's not uncommon for some of the best characters to be notoriously easy to play. Yun in AE, for instance, is a very "flowchart" character. In Super Turbo, a majority of Old Sagat's attacks with be Tiger Shots, because they're just that good. Wolverine in MvC3 is a very simple character with basic mix-ups that happen to work really, really well. I would argue that these things don't necessarily make for a broken, uncompetitive game (though they can certainly make the game really boring, especially Old Sagat).

I don't like touch-of-death scenarios in most games, simply because the punishment tends to be too severe, and I rarely feel like the player had to do enough to land it. Super Turbo is fine, perhaps, because the positioning to land it means that the opponent had terrible spacing to begin with in a game where you don't have to worry about things flying all over the screen all the time. I have a problem with that in the Marvel series, myself. X-Factor is only in MvC3 because of how crippling it was to lose a character (and, consequently, an assist) in the second game. Comebacks were close to nonexistent in MvC2 because of that fact, and they wanted to make sure that the sequel didn't suffer from the same "problem." Whether or not you agree with the inclusion of "desperation mechanics," like X-Factor and Ultras in Street Fighter 4 (and I don't, by the way), an issue is that they made X-Factor too powerful and WAY too long-lasting, to the point where losing two characters often serves to HELP you win. That said, I feel that the Smash series has a really good balance in that; touch-of-death exists universally in gimps from hard reads that take a lot of intelligent play (and/or a lot of bad mistakes from the opponent). It's not commonplace in competitive play, but it certainly does happen from time to time. As far as general punishment goes, I would rather have to win a bunch of those rock-paper-scissors scenarios and outsmart my opponent many times to be a decisive victor than for a single poke that could very well have been a lucky guess to decide a whole game.

i forget what you call it but you can swap in characters after each special and potentially kill the opponents entire team.
the next characters just comes on screen and lands into a special which you continue, then call out your next character who lands onto the screen automatically doing his special along with an assist and some other stuff idk.

its totally possible, and i think its actually quite common to lose all three of your characters or at the least 2 of your characters with the remaining one having only half of his life left, due to one mistake you make.
the losing 1/3 of your life thing is like a scrub thing i think, people usually anticipate two of their characters being gone due to a mistake. or at least the 2nd one basically rendered useless once on field.
in high level play that is. and most mid level too.

plus not to mention mvc3 has waaay lower health bars than any other fighting game ive ever played. even the tanks on there dont have as much health as a standard SF char.
or maybe it just seems like that cuz marvel has ways to dimish health retardedly fast.

also if you are stating that true competition provides a counter for everything, then wit and creativity would not be rewarded, and in fact game knowledge/knowledge of each counter would be the only thing rewarded. and that basically goes back on your entire argument that smash sucks because you just need to know stuid counters to things and SRK rules because you have to be creative and think.
The character-switching mechanic is called a snapback, and it's not nearly as useful in MvC3 as it was in the previous game, mostly because in the old game, if you used a snapback when an assist character was in, you could easily combo them to death by spamming your launcher without the opponent being able to do anything about it. In MvC3, I don't think a character who can break a normal block and then punish on the way in (like Cable) exists, so the opponent coming in is pretty much safe if he doesn't make a mistake. Losing all three characters (or anything close to it) is pretty much not happening in MvC3, though losing one happens ALL the time, and losing two at one is pretty commonplace, as well.

Part of the appeal in MvC3 is the fact that you do so much damage and that the game is so hyper-offensive. Whatever works; it certainly makes it exciting to watch, at least. That said, not being able to ground tech is really, really stupid, and it takes away a ton from one of the cornerstones of fighting game mindgames: the wake-up game.

You're definitely right about everything having a counter diminishing a need for creativity, but Kevin didn't say that all moves had to be equal. If you simply can't challenge some moves, it puts that part of the game in a huge bottleneck situation--Instead of trying to anti-air the opponent, their dive kick makes it so that you're much better off just blocking or moving away, which means that the game doesn't really develop in that part.

It might be possible to kill an entire team in one combo, but it is definitely not common or easy. I'm not actually sure that it's possible though.
mvc3 has lower health bars because theres three characters per team lol that's the point. if you add it all up its a normal health bar. losing two of your characters is not as big a deal as you guys make it out to be, because you have level 3 X-factor. you're still at a disadvantage obviously, but its not broken at all.

your last paragraph doesn't make sense. obviously you have to learn what counters what, but that takes about 30 seconds to learn, and just knowing that is alone going to make you any better at the game. you will have to find clever and creative ways to apply that knowledge. that's definition of a mixup. if you dragon punch someone and dash up to their body, you have the knowledge that they can peform a wakeup reversal, which you can block. they can wake up and block high, when you can beat with a low attack. they can wake up and block low which you can beat with an overhead. etc. etc. just knowing that isn't going to help anything? smash has mixups as well, but most of the ones it does have are unbalanced and shallow because there is generally always something that you can do that's safe every time, especially if you are playing a top tier character.

I've thought about my statements and want to add on to what I've been saying. I think players like Reflex and Ally and a few others probably are quite clever and creative and unpredictable when they play brawl. They do weird stuff that the opponent isn't expecting. So I will admit, thats one way to play the game, if you're good at it. But I do not believe that this is the optimal way to play the game. I don't think the game necessarily rewards you for playing this way. There are way too many safe options for it to be worth it to risk getting hit by doing "clever" things.
Learning how to effectively counter things takes a LOT longer than thirty seconds in any game worth its salt (hah). Sure, the character guides says that this aerial can beat Mach Tornado, but how are you going to put yourself in a position to hit Mach Tornado with it in the first place? If Meta Knight decides to only use it when he's above you, how will you land your move over him? That's something that you really only get through experience.

I wouldn't say that there are many situations where you would be completely safe with a certain option. Meta Knight's F-Smash is stupidly safe after the start-up, but if you're on him beforehand, you can punish him for using it. It's the same concept as safe pokes in any fighting game, as well as attacking when you're not next to your opponent. Sure, you're safe, but you're not doing much in the meantime. As far as when you're pressured, I can't think of anything. Diddy Kong's bananas come close, but he has to spend, like, four full seconds to pull two bananas and put them where it's particularly advantageous for him in order to do that. and if he gets that situation, you can simply wait for the bananas to disappear. Grab one of those bananas and he's not nearly as safe, too.

What do you feel is the optimal way to play the game? A bunch of "if-then" scenarios? That's what I seem to understand, and I would disagree with you.

I agree; mindgames and mix-up situations are very similar in Smash and other fighting games. You tend to have more options in Smash than most fighting games, though, which tends to lead to greater depth, which is nice. There are a lot of game-specific things that you should know when involved with competitive play (like a multi-hitting move on your shield at the edge of a platform will knock you off and then hit you with the rest), but that's a person's responsibility to know as a competitive player, rather than "stupid, random mechanics."

you no nothing about mvc3 slam. you cant compare mvc3 to brawl in any way shape form or fashion. listen to yourself and what you are writing and typing. it take 30 seconds to learn what a counter is quote as said by austin! bruh kevin never said he was a pro but when i read what he is typing it makes alot of sense ! you dnt really play any other fighters besides brawl and the sad thing is even though it may be considered a fighter it still will never earn respect like bb, sf,kof, darkstalkers, meltyblood,
arcana hearts. gg, and etc i know your gonna defend smash alll day but ask yourself why are people who play traditional fighters dnt respect brawl???? but yet that dnt complain about any other fighter well maybe mk9 lol! but still not as bad as smash! to be honest since brawl is a fighter hell lets make dragonball z a fighter hell naruto as well. hell ! fight night i guess they are fighters lol! slam i would love to play u in mvc3 since its so easy to learn homie! any of you smashers in alabama who want some of me in mvc3 come and get bodied! real figters = fightsticks oh yea! i guess raw vs smackdown its a fighter and wwe legends lets throw that into the mix! brawl is so funny like the joker from batman! now where yo curly mustache at??????????
I wasn't aware that BlazBlue had much respect surrounding it. All I hear is Guilty Gear players trashing it for not being Guilty Gear. :p That point doesn't mean a lot, but it sticks out to me, heh.

People who play traditional fighters don't respect Brawl for a lot of reasons, many of those reasons being why they don't respect Melee, either. Some people think that their "realistic" cartoon characters are more interesting than Nintendo cartoon characters, which is just stupid. Some people circle-jerk over life bars and traditional systems (like blocking) being the master arbiter of figuring out what is a fighting game, which is closed-minded. Some people dislike it because it wasn't made to cater to a competitive crowd, though that fact is why the Smash community gets so much more done as a grassroots community than any other fighting game community. Some people are outright jealous of that fact, too; most SRK players would kill for the kind of data that we gather for character rankings, money distributed, and the like. There are a multitude of reasons, but none of them are any good.

Also, I guess you've never played Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4, because I'm sure it's a lot more competitive than a majority of the fighting games that are popular today. Not so much the later games, but, that's just like Melee, right? :p I can't find a tutorial or videos of really competent players on YouTube, but it involves a HUGE amount of meter management, caters mostly to offensive players while giving defensive players enough good options to make it work, has huge combos with ways to escape and bait easily built into the game mechanics. It's beautiful, really; something you'd have to play to understand.

Also, DBZ Budokai 3 and Infinite World are deeper than you'd think; I'd call them more competitive than Marvel, for sure. Again, there's a lot of meter management, potential for mix-ups EVERYWHERE, and generally rewards you for being a smart player. This guide is pretty low-quality, but it gets a lot of the point across behind the basic competitive part of it--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlZiQxU1EII

Last I checked, people were starting to realize that there is no major difference between playing on a pad or a stick. People stopped getting surprised when another top player was using his PS3 or 360 controller (like Fanatiq, who has a special 360 controller with a real D-Pad!). You're a little behind the times there.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
your stick= competitve gaming, doesnt make sense either.

mastaCJ used a pad and he beat like someone on the same level as Marn or something at friday night fights a couple weeks ago. i may not play marvel as much as you do but it seems like im more up to date with the scene and the evolution of the metagame than you are. you cant just tell me i dont know anything about the marvel scene. i watch streams every week... against my will i may add but i still know pretty much everything or at least every basic of where the scene is and where the metagame is.

also i never said that i would beat you in marvel or that it was an easy game. i said it takes as much time to perfect basic game mechanics in mvc3 as it does in brawl or really any other fighting game. i was just pointing that out. i do know bread and butter combos and counters and it took me a night to learn them. doesnt mean im a good player. i was just making a point. it took me a night to learn how to shield grand and DACUS too.

and i dont care about if smash is respected or not... that literally makes no difference to me because i love the game and community. and from what it sounds like the people at SRK are just ignorant *******s who are not as open minded or willing to try and experiment and learn different forms of competition games like smashers are. and we even have had block fighter and pokemon and also even street fighter and even mvc3 at our tournaments before.

im not so concerned about being cool that i have to spread how un nerdy i am for playing a game where people KO each other with badass moves and laugh at the other "nerds" who play "silly kiddy" games to make myself feel like a real cool dude. which is basically the attitude i get from those guys. id rather hang here and play smash lol i dont need to feel like a hardass to make it alright that i enjoy gaming.

Purple

Hi guys!
What the hell happened to this thread

Random digression, I want to learn how to speedrun a snes game. I'm thinking of speedurunning super mario world.
by saying i9w ant to learn, i mean that I'm actually learning

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i've always wanted to complete a speedrun.
ive been interested in doing a SSE speedrun for a while but i've seen some pretty good ones already

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i did a mario 64 speedrun once.
afterwards i was like "cool i just ruined my childhood."

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
Hey Ryker could you record my friendlies from the tournament? I'll send those too if you can/will.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
You literally contributed nothing towards why Brawl isn't a good fighter.
You actually only said "brawl is so funny".
That's legitimately ALL you said about brawl. Besides it's considered a fighter, and it's bad.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
(@purple) If you're seriously considering speedrunning something for a record, you might want to do something that isn't as competitive. All of the super mario games are pretty competitive, and most people have worked that **** into the ground. But on the other hand, there's probably a lot of resources out there (glitches, tips, that sorta thing) for cutting time and stuff. If you're just wanting to speed run for fun/preparing for another game, then sure, a commonly run one is fine.

I feel like route planning is the biggest part of speed running. SMW's is very very straightforward, and there's pretty much no room for improvement. So it's all on your performance for a game like that. How well you execute, etc. So that's fun I suppose. I'm sure you know about www.speeddemosarchive.com already, so yeah, start a forum account there and poke around, there's lots of resources.

Top Bottom