• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I am serious, i really just want to find a game to play :(

SMW, LttP, and Out of this world are my chioces
Out of this World makes for a really fun watch. This might be of interest--

Jumping through walls: Run left and quickly start jumping to the right, and you'll pass through doors and walls. This bug is very limited because it only works going to the right, and only in the same level that you get the gun. This bug is used to skip the long wait for your buddy to open a door, and is also used to glitch out the elevator to get it to the bottom floor faster.
Also, could you make an animated GIF out of 2:37-2:43 of this for me, please? <3

EDIT: No idea why it didn't show up the first time...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZW0IbbqxBo#t=2m37s

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
I've got 2 for you slam.

Salty Shakedown this Saturday

Bulldog Brawl on the 24th of September

Both in GA, but they're tournaments before October. :3

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
See about carpooling to the Salty Shakedown. It should be a lot of fun. Scatz and Umby will be there, and there's supposed to be some kind of side tournament.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
The Alabama tournament leadership has voted 10-2 to ban MK at all ASL tournaments. On behalf of the ASL, please don't start a huge MK ban discussion or flame war as a result of this announcement.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
The Alabama tournament leadership has voted 10-2 to ban MK at all ASL tournaments. On behalf of the ASL, please don't start a huge MK ban discussion or flame war as a result of this announcement.
Didn't you already collect money for that stuff?

So are you going to offer refunds?

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Also I got 3rd at the PAX tourney this year. Choked big time. But Jesus, am I bad at this game right now.

Would have liked to see someone who didn't suck play against those posers.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Munkus take me places with you. I wanna stomp on scrubs too.

Too be honest, the UAH smash scene disappointed me from what I saw today. Looked more like people wanted to play starcraft with a side of Brawl

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
you guys are dumb for banning mk.
man i guess ill be having trouble vs kirby now lol

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Just a minor thing, you guys should have had the rules all figured out before you accepted money from people.
that said, no mk means i get to play moar snake, whooo

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
its just dumb.
the highest mk on our pr is number 3 and we're banning him lol
and yeah i dont agree with this spur of the moment type deal.
also i dun lyke ic's cuz dey r dum can we start up a tally to ban them?

1 point here.

this just makes me feel like some scrubby state like TN i dont like that our tournaments are headed in this direction it says something about our attitude,legitness, and community that i strongly disagree with..

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Well, I'm not going to get into the reasons for the ban here. If anyone wants to know why, they can PM me.

EDIT: Most people have not paid yet as it is, and our first tournament is still almost 2 months away. If someone really wants their money back after this announcement, they can come talk to me.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
this just makes me feel like some scrubby state like TN i dont like that our tournaments are headed in this direction it says something about our attitude,legitness, and community that i strongly disagree with..
Realistically, pretty much every state wants to do something about Meta Knight, and it's not like we're the first people to suggest or enforce such a ban in the Brawl community. People don't ban him because they don't want to be among the first people to potentially divide the community, but the people who are against it tend to be those who aren't at high-level play (and therefore can't understand everything that the character is capable of) or don't have the community's best interest at heart (MK players who like easy money and enjoy ignoring the counterpick system; people who believe that it's fine if an overwhelming majority of the game revolved around Meta Knight; people who don't care that the game would be ten times more balanced and varied without Meta Knight).

With the ASL, we're trying to do something different in the way that tournaments happen in many ways; best-case scenario, the ideas pick up elsewhere because they succeed here. This is just another thing that we're doing to try and change the way the community does things, to make it more professional so that people in general know that we know what we're doing, and take us seriously as a result. (No, I'm not talking about SRK elitists; I'm talking about laypersons who we ask to look for a venue and interested beginners looking for a chance to play/learn the game.)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I think the very fact that the brawl community is so scrubby is WHY metaknight probably needs to be banned in order for this tournament community to thrive.
It'll make the game more competitive, but that's a natural result of taking something overpowered out of a game. taking sagat out of sf4 vanilla would have made that game more competitive too.
taking something out of a game because it's overpowered is sort of a scrub thing to do though. [insert sirlin article]
if rock paper scissors had an extra move called blowtorch that beat paper and scissors but not rock, technically that's overpowered. but i don't think any competitive community would ban it, even tho doing so would clearly make the game more competitive.
all in all though, there's way too much dumb stuff in this game to justify being mad about removing one more dumb thing from the game. removing metaknight is the same as removing items. i think items break the game more than MK does, but its a similar idea.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I think the very fact that the brawl community is so scrubby is WHY metaknight probably needs to be banned in order for this tournament community to thrive.
It'll make the game more competitive, but that's a natural result of taking something overpowered out of a game. taking sagat out of sf4 vanilla would have made that game more competitive too.
taking something out of a game because it's overpowered is sort of a scrub thing to do though. [insert sirlin article]
if rock paper scissors had an extra move called blowtorch that beat paper and scissors but not rock, technically that's overpowered. but i don't think any competitive community would ban it, even tho doing so would clearly make the game more competitive.
all in all though, there's way too much dumb stuff in this game to justify being mad about removing one more dumb thing from the game. removing metaknight is the same as removing items. i think items break the game more than MK does, but its a similar idea.
Sometimes, a ban is warranted; when a game is significantly more balanced, varied, and the like, and it's clear that a great deal of time has been spent trying to work around a character/tactic/whatever with little or no success, it's time to go.

SF4 Sagat didn't have outright broken, impossible-to-realistically-counter tactics, either.

As an aside, I'm fairly sure that Sirlin has said that he believes that Meta Knight should be banned based on his own criteria.

Also, for fun--

List of banned characters from fighting games:
CVS2 - Evil Ryu, ROB Iori, God Rugal, and Shin Akuma
CFE - Pyron and Shin Akuma
STHD - Akuma
SFA3 - All console characters are banned
SFA2 - Evil Ryu was banned originally, but over the years he has become legal because he sucks
SF3S - Gil
KOF2002 - Though the playable Rugal is only avaliable through a BIOS hack, he is not legal when he is available.
KOF 2003 - Maki/Chizuru, Magaki, Adel (not sure about this one)
RBFFS - Nightmare Geese
Naruto 4 - Akamaru was banned; Karasu was banned for a long time, but became legal near the end of the game's lifespan, but nobody used him anyways, so whatever
SC2 - Necrid was banned, as well as the console exclusive characters
SCIV - Algol was banned for a little, then unbanned
Tekken 5 - Jinpachi was banned
Guilty Gear - Kliff & Justice
GGxx - Robo Ky

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
Whoa, WHOA, Akamaru was banned? As in Kiba's dog???

Lol, are you sure Robo Ky was banned in GGxx? He was my main.

The thing about almost all bans in fighting games is that the banned characters are either boss characters and are inherently broken because... well, they are bosses, or because they are console specific and that's janky, but really, has there ever been a good console-specific character in a fighting game other than Link?

ragnarock

Smash Lord
The mk ban is a great thing. It'll oirk for the best slam you'll see. He's gonna get banned anyways. And finals in major tourneys are boring with mk vs mk all the damn time. Don't you get tired of seeing that, I do.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Whoa, WHOA, Akamaru was banned? As in Kiba's dog???

Lol, are you sure Robo Ky was banned in GGxx? He was my main.

The thing about almost all bans in fighting games is that the banned characters are either boss characters and are inherently broken because... well, they are bosses, or because they are console specific and that's janky, but really, has there ever been a good console-specific character in a fighting game other than Link?
Akamaru was banned because he was basically impossible to hit if a person played correctly. Using Kiba (and consequently, Akamaru as a character-based assist, like how Kankuro uses a puppet) was fine.

Not sure about Robo-Ky, though.

Top Bottom