• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

Will_

Smash Journeyman
I'll just rush them at the ledge to force a conclusion, although yes, anything else would be stalling and all forms of stalling is banned to my knowledge.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
its a strawman because you are stating "lack of hitstun" as if it is set in stone in the book of life as if that is a bad thing for a game to have a lack of hitstun. You didn't even respond to what was actually posted about how the airdodge game is naturally deep by virtue of it having many options and counters to all of those options, you just looked over it and said 'whatever there's no hitstun so that's bad regardless of what you say"
I never said anything like the sort in this thread. A strawman is projecting an argument onto the other side that they can argue over easier instead of the actual argument which might be what you are actually doing since I never made any claims besides "the lack of hitstun is the reason that the frequency of the airdodging mixup games occur is high," IE the reason people have to guess when people are going to airdodge or whatnot. I am not going to argue over Brawl mechanics....I just won't.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I never said anything like the sort in this thread. A strawman is projecting an argument onto the other side that they can argue over easier instead of the actual argument which might be what you are actually doing since I never made any claims besides "the lack of hitstun is the reason that the frequency of the airdodging mixup games occur is high," IE the reason people have to guess when people are going to airdodge or whatnot. I am not going to argue over Brawl mechanics....I just won't.
Saying "i'm not going to argue about how Brawls lack of hitstun makes it deep"
sounds just like "I'm not going to argue about that because it's a ridiculous argument".
If that's not what you are saying, I apologize.
But if it is what you are saying, as I suspect, then it is a strawman, because no one ever said "Brawl's lack of hitstun makes the game deep" (which is what you referenced in your post)

Otherwise, I don't even know why you'd say that.
There's no reason to point out that the lack of hitstun causes airdodge mixups, I mean, thanks for the info, but that's obvious lol. Clearly the only reason you would bring it up would be to project your opinion about it. (Which is presumably that it doesn't make the game deeper)

-Chad-

Slackerator
Usually us Melee people from other states don't chime in unless someone says something that we know from experience to be false about Melee.

At least that's how I work >.>

Winnar

Smash Lord
this debate has been basically

melee nub: brawl sucks
brawl nub: why
melee nub: i'm not even going to get into it you are too stupid to understand
brawl nub: melee's too hard
melee nub: no its not

i was trying to solicit better discussion from both sides but i guess it will always be a lost cause.
Speak of the strawman.

@ auro, will plays MK, munkus plays MK, I play snake, nice1 plays falco/snake, moogle used to play snake in bad fox matchups but I think he's playing pit now...elev8 plays snake and dedede, but he rarely comes to our tournaments :-P
oh and dangr plays mk when you give his olimar trouble :-D

and i'm going to start playing MK in pools and nado spamming nubs

you'll find some other people who play these character but these are the main ones you probably need to worry about
I feel the love :(

shaSLAM

Smash Lord

im giving away free hugs at gamebox to help bring us back together from this argument.
<3

Rigor_Mortis

Smash Cadet
Before I say anything else, this is directed at anyone complaining about planking in general.
Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see the big deal with this.
This:

i dont care about planking because its "hard to get around"
i care because its ****ING STALLING THE MATCH

I play the game because it's fun. This kind of horse manure removes the fun like a surgeon removes cancer. Brawl matches are already ridiculously long as it is, there is no reason to prolong the match another 5 minutes while you do nothing but drop and re-grab the ledge.

There is enough stupid ShhHit built into this game, that we don't need to manually add anymore.

If we're playing friendly matches, whatever, I'll just go play with someone else, no big deal. But if I put money down, and am going to get screwed over by that kind of nonsense, you can bet your *** I'm not going to just stand there.
--------------------------

Enough E-rage. I'll be looking at www.FMYlife.com

G. Vice

Smash Lord
I have a cube if you wanna play melee.
Yes Melee is all I play when it comes to smash! Where do you live? Do you go to school and live on campus? Or do you live off campus? Let me know and I'll try to meet up with you for a bit and we can melee it up some.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord

lol i feel so gay posting this ****.
the things i do for you guys...
so i take it no one needs a hug???? :/

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
I live on campus in the ridgecrest west dorm. done with classes tommorow around 315.

edit// **** i only have one controller here. i hope you have one....i might could get another from someone else if not

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
GOD I GOT ANOTHER WARNING!
everytime i venture out of the Alabama thread i get warnings...
Mods are always on their period...

i said "Vids or it didnt happen" and i got a warning for spam.
Reason: "I told people not to say that anymore on SWF"

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
If that's not sarcasm then you're welcome.

If it is then I'm being sarcastic too and you're an *******.

This entire post is an illusion of your mind.

Winnar

Smash Lord
Agh I still don't know if I'm going to the melee tourney this saturday :(

Someone tell me if I should go or not D:

reimeii

Smash Apprentice
I think there may have been one Dedede at TCS IV...

You'll see a lot of god/high tier for sure. There'll be a bunch of Snake, Metaknight, and Falco players.

Still, I was impressed at my first AL tournament when I saw all of the characters that were being used. I must have counted 20 different characters, and that's not counting the low tier tournament. I played a really good Bowser, Zelda, and even Link.

Oh, and I even heard there was a PIKACHU there ;)

I was the only pikachu at VGB IV
*pats self on the back*

Winnar

Smash Lord
There's been a pretty healthy mixture of character usage at the two AL tourneys I've been to IIRC.

Even in melee <_<

Oh, I just realized if I go to the AL tourney I might not have a doubles partner. That's probably going to be the biggest deciding factor, if I can get a doubles partner or not.

Hopefully either 3GOD or Jeff will go with me to the tourney, but if not then does anyone else need a teams partner? D:

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I think that the last melee tourney I went to I fought against 4 or 5 foxes during pools and brackets, a couple marths, and one captain falcon (Mookierah).

The greatest thing about that tourney, for me, was beating Ragnorok and using rest on Mookie's falcon knee.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Anomaly, how can I get a hold of you after your classes are over??

I can meet you there outside your dorm if you want, just lemme know what's up dude. Wanna meet outside your dorm about 3:30 ish? I will be the one carrying a gamecube controller.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
I remember the days when people would spend money go to tournaments even if they were 100% guaranteed to not make it out of pools.

That's one thing that was definitely better about Melee, than Brawl.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
That's an odd statement to make, and I question its validity.

I went to the big tourney in atlanta a while back. That melee tourney. I didn't enter it, because I had no chance to perform and no incentive to improve.

People who have a competitive nature will show up to tourneys. It's not always about finishing first. It's about proving your worth. At thief's last melee tourney, I was extremely pleased with where I ended up in brackets, and I didn't win a dime. I was just happy to have won some matches against people I shouldn't have, and come close to beating a few tough players in singles pools/brackets.

It's not always about getting first, it's about trying to outperform your expectations.

EDIT: And I don't think Will_ or George expected to win the tourney in Philly when they drove there. They drove there to get better, to play against tougher opponents.

That is the spirit of competition. That's what drives people to tourneys of all sorts.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Also, if people are meeting somewhere after the melee tourney for food, give me a call.

I couldn't show up to the tourney proper if I wanted to, I have to work on my brief this weekend.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
That's an odd statement to make, and I question its validity.

I went to the big tourney in atlanta a while back. That melee tourney. I didn't enter it, because I had no chance to perform and no incentive to improve.

People who have a competitive nature will show up to tourneys. It's not always about finishing first. It's about proving your worth. At thief's last melee tourney, I was extremely pleased with where I ended up in brackets, and I didn't win a dime. I was just happy to have won some matches against people I shouldn't have, and come close to beating a few tough players in singles pools/brackets.

It's not always about getting first, it's about trying to outperform your expectations.

EDIT: And I don't think Will_ or George expected to win the tourney in Philly when they drove there. They drove there to get better, to play against tougher opponents.

That is the spirit of competition. That's what drives people to tourneys of all sorts.
will and george are exceptions to the rule.. they don't really represent the attitudes of the majority of brawl players. will and george are two of the only people that even take Brawl seriously as a competitive game
and you're definitely an exception to the melee rule lol

There were about 100 people there, who unlike you, entered the tournament knowing full and well they were going to not win any money, and were probably going to get owned more than once.

most brawl players I've seen go to a few tournaments and then get ***** and get down on themselves and say I'm not going to enter any more tournaments for a while. (unless they happen to be good players who actually win money) at each TCS I've run, i've had at least one person drop out of the tournament and ask for their money back after playing friendlies and seeing how good some people are. That rarely if ever happened at melee tournaments.

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
Anomaly, how can I get a hold of you after your classes are over??

I can meet you there outside your dorm if you want, just lemme know what's up dude. Wanna meet outside your dorm about 3:30 ish? I will be the one carrying a gamecube controller.
That sounds good to me.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
^^^does he go to andy's smashfests at all anymore? I thought he was one of the few of the 'veterans' who still does.

EDIT: that's mainly why i don't go much anymore, I'm swamped with school D:

Top Bottom