• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thought about going to the Melee tournament if I couldn't find a ride to the Brawl one in Antioch. Would that be a dumb idea considering how bad/rusty I am at Melee?

And Moogle, I'm comin to your place tonight. I want some Jiggs lessons. :p I watched some Mango vids and read some stuff about her.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
if i were to play melee id go jiggs all the time.
doesnt munkus play jiggs in melee?

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
To be honest there's way more than that. Most common mains now are CF, Fox, and Falco...shocking.
Everyone plays him as secondary...but maining him? There are not that many. I know, I have been everywhere in the south. In the Midsouth there is me and Kyo if you count him.....and JWT if truly decides to drop fox. :laugh: Anyone else doesn't travel even close to enough to really count and if they did I would only remember that one guy from Memphis aka Captain Falcon himself (cosplay joke) and that guy in TN that says he wanted to play Melee but never goes to tourneys.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
doesn't cornel main falcon? or is it just a secondary.

i'm going all falcon in pools, and i might just go all falcon period (given the unlikely event that I make it out of pools :-D)

_Keno_

Smash Lord
any b'ham folk are welcome to my house today at 7 and after, I already have mslano and another guy coming. Its melee btw.

1724 Crosswood lane

Winnar

Smash Lord
AAAAAAAGH STILL ON THE FENCE

Also if I come then I'm bringing Shai Hulud (sp?) I guess we might do teams then, I dunno he'll probably find someone who doesn't suck *** at melee :(

All I can really play anymore is Marth, maybe a little Fox.

G. Vice

Smash Lord
Yay I got to play Anomaly today! It was great fun,and I hope to play you sexy Alabama smashers more! Cheap Peach he said you were his brother, so now I wanna play you too :D

also I want to play moogle and that sexy G&W Joot more! :O

...Joot is so sexily technical T.T

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
will and george are exceptions to the rule.. they don't really represent the attitudes of the majority of brawl players. will and george are two of the only people that even take Brawl seriously as a competitive game
and you're definitely an exception to the melee rule lol

There were about 100 people there, who unlike you, entered the tournament knowing full and well they were going to not win any money, and were probably going to get owned more than once.

most brawl players I've seen go to a few tournaments and then get ***** and get down on themselves and say I'm not going to enter any more tournaments for a while. (unless they happen to be good players who actually win money) at each TCS I've run, i've had at least one person drop out of the tournament and ask for their money back after playing friendlies and seeing how good some people are. That rarely if ever happened at melee tournaments.
There were a lot of people that didn't enter the tourney. Shannon only 'entered' in the tourney due to a clerical error, he wasn't going to pay to enter, someone mistakenly put him down on there.

You're speaking of huge generalities that aren't founded in reality. Alabama didn't have that many people who went to the huge melee gathering, just Reflex, the people crammed in moogle's car, and a few from south Alabama.

And a lot of people from a lot of states traveled to the philly tourney. Just because only 3 went from bama doesn't mean that a lot of people from elsewhere went. I would never have gone because that would mean driving to freaking philadelphia. I think my limit on travel distance is Florida or just beyond Tennesse. Then you get out of my comfort zone.

And I would be traveling to more brawl tourneys, but I'm in law school you fink. Let me make this abundantly clear: I can't go to a tourney if it's not extremely local. The second time I went home all year was spring break. The first time I went home was the week before, and that was a special occasion. I didn't go home at all last semester except for fall break. Heck, I left the gamebox tourneys quickly, generally to go home and study some more (...or to catch bama playing football).

I mean, I would have buggered shannon or Andy about doing melee teams maybe for this saturday if it wasn't for the fact that I have a 40 page paper due on Tuesday.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i wish i could get a partner for VG V but i think i gotta paartner wit skizbe again...
that guy is alright i guess.

if he cant come, wanna partner anyone?
i post this every tournamnet and no one responds. ever. :D

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
and no matter how much i lose i am stil going to try to improve and play brawl seriously..
even if it takes me years to start making money... does that make me an exception to a "rule"?

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
If I didn't already have a partner, I would offer to team with you shaSLAM. I don't think I've ever seen you play though. Were you at TCS IV?

Winnar

Smash Lord
and no matter how much i lose i am stil going to try to improve and play brawl seriously..
even if it takes me years to start making money... does that make me an exception to a "rule"?
I don't think so, unless you want to be. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, you AREN'T bad. You're just inexperienced. There's a world of difference, but because you can't tell yourself you'll just have to take my word for it. Trust me, I know that exact situation you're in. Back when I was in DC I would go to tournaments every now and then and get my *** handed to me so hard it ended up becoming pretty crushing. I would retreat back and play a lot of wifi between that tourney and the next one, but whenever I would go to another tournament I'd end up doing no better, sometimes even WORSE. It was an endlessly frustrating cycle, seeing that people can be so much better at a game like Brawl yet being unable to see why. Then I went off to college (here) and things changed.

Jeff, Robert, and I started playing at each other's dorms. At first we were still in the mindset that brawl was terrible, and that we could be doing so much more with our time. What we didn't realize was that brawl as it was WAS a terrible and boring game (at least the way we played it, as in very, very slowly). It wasn't until recently when we went back and looked at some of our replays did we realize how far we've really come. In fact...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62bjW-Rzsyg Oh, and please save yourself some time and just watch enough to get the idea and then move on to this next match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDJRrmc13xw&fmt=18

Notice how all the awkward terribleness is gone? Want to know the secret? We played. A lot. Mostly goofing off, but what we didn't realize was that we were slowly shedding our (now looking back pretty obvious) mistakes in play. In short what we have now that we didn't have earlier is experience. I wasn't losing to everyone horrendously in DC because I was getting worse, it was because everyone else was getting better.

And if you want proof that you're not bad just look at T1J's signature, you and 3GOD were the only ones to win a match from him in pools.

SUMMARY: shaSLAM, you aren't bad, STOP telling everyone you are. The more you focus on the negative, the more real it becomes. I have had personal experience with this and have found it to be true, at least with Brawl.

Also Jeff takes a second try at 3 CPUs (Zelda Edition): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gok4bhmr5RQ&fmt=18

anomaly

Smash Apprentice
Yay I got to play Anomaly today! It was great fun,and I hope to play you sexy Alabama smashers more! Cheap Peach he said you were his brother, so now I wanna play you too :D

also I want to play moogle and that sexy G&W Joot more! :O

...Joot is so sexily technical T.T
yeah good matches! tell us next time you're in town.

Xeedoc

Smash Cadet
Why arent you going xeedoc?
Erm, I don't know where your going, that's a big part of it.

And I assumed it was about Melee from the couple of sentences-per-longass-post I actually read, and im not the best at Melee.

I grab with Y in brawl so grabbing is a problem for me.

And I play Ness in Melee.

Other than that I would totally be there.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
I don't think so, unless you want to be. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself, you AREN'T bad. You're just inexperienced. There's a world of difference, but because you can't tell yourself you'll just have to take my word for it. Trust me, I know that exact situation you're in. Back when I was in DC I would go to tournaments every now and then and get my *** handed to me so hard it ended up becoming pretty crushing. I would retreat back and play a lot of wifi between that tourney and the next one, but whenever I would go to another tournament I'd end up doing no better, sometimes even WORSE. It was an endlessly frustrating cycle, seeing that people can be so much better at a game like Brawl yet being unable to see why. Then I went off to college (here) and things changed.

Jeff, Robert, and I started playing at each other's dorms. At first we were still in the mindset that brawl was terrible, and that we could be doing so much more with our time. What we didn't realize was that brawl as it was WAS a terrible and boring game (at least the way we played it, as in very, very slowly). It wasn't until recently when we went back and looked at some of our replays did we realize how far we've really come. In fact...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62bjW-Rzsyg Oh, and please save yourself some time and just watch enough to get the idea and then move on to this next match:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDJRrmc13xw&fmt=18

Notice how all the awkward terribleness is gone? Want to know the secret? We played. A lot. Mostly goofing off, but what we didn't realize was that we were slowly shedding our (now looking back pretty obvious) mistakes in play. In short what we have now that we didn't have earlier is experience. I wasn't losing to everyone horrendously in DC because I was getting worse, it was because everyone else was getting better.

And if you want proof that you're not bad just look at T1J's signature, you and 3GOD were the only ones to win a match from him in pools.

SUMMARY: shaSLAM, you aren't bad, STOP telling everyone you are. The more you focus on the negative, the more real it becomes. I have had personal experience with this and have found it to be true, at least with Brawl.

Also Jeff takes a second try at 3 CPUs (Zelda Edition): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gok4bhmr5RQ&fmt=18
wow thanks for the story winnar. i didnt know anyone cared that much what i think. thanks though :D
and yeah me and kalm were talking about it and he told me that if i just mess around with my character select on random and try to have fun ill grow alot more than if i only use wario and treat every match like its a tournament match. it helps you focus on the game as a whole and also takes the edge off and you actually do play better.

like with you playing CF when youre not at tournies. its not about winning or loosing. its about learning.

all my knowledge comes from kalm btw :D lol

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
If I didn't already have a partner, I would offer to team with you shaSLAM. I don't think I've ever seen you play though. Were you at TCS IV?
Ive never seen you play either man. ive never even seen you lol.
and yeah i was there but didnt advance out of pools.
im suprised i never met you. it seemed like i mingled with just about everyone there.

Mr. Referee

Smash Cadet
Hell yeah, whenever I play right now I just put it to random and play for fun. Once I get back up to snuff me and you should team once or twice Slam. Us down south Bama boys gotta stick together! lol

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Ive never seen you play either man. ive never even seen you lol.
and yeah i was there but didnt advance out of pools.
im suprised i never met you. it seemed like i mingled with just about everyone there.
Let's see, I know I played your friend Kalm a few times. My tag was "Cam." I was one of two Pikachu players at the tournament; unfortunately, remeii had to leave early. I think I saw you playing some of my friends. Did you get to play Kira, Shock, Spade, lng:D, PoPe, tNado, or CIN?

reimeii

Smash Apprentice
this time i wont be leaving early.....i asked off for work and my roommates are driving a seperate car so i dont have to take them home......yeah i will be kicking *** that day, and my previous partner will not be here this time (id choose the cpu before i let that happen)

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
being confident and having fun are both in the top five most important things in smash

a tournament match is just a match.
you shouldn't "treat a match like a tournament match"
you should "treat a tournament match like a regular match".

realize that in the end, its just a game. so have fun with it, that's what we're here for.

like I like to scream **** and talk trash while I'm playing because it makes it more like a regular match and not a super important tourney match.

reflex likes to taunt a lot and stand up and jump around and act out his character's actions

maybe you should do something of the sort to brainwash yourself into not taking everythign so srsly

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Oh yeah BTW did anyone wanna team up for Gamebox in April.

I want to insta-win doubles money and I need the right man to do it with.

Lol.

Top Bottom