• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Olimar is quite good; ridiculously simple, but ridiculously effective. He's incredibly safe, deals a ton of damage and knockback, and is easy to be unpredictable with, despite having a very one-dimensional playstyle.

Olimar is among the characters that I enjoy playing against the least. Such is life, though; I just hate being forced to play patiently.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
Janitor, he's that good, once you learn how to fight him and all. I live behind daniel's house. I know more about Olimar than anyone should.

I wouldn't whine if i was alone. But i've heard people say "that's the least fun i've ever had playing brawl" after playing an olimar player.
The least fun I ever had playing brawl was when I played against a sonic online who only used UP-B and Down Air in a match.

All he would do is up B, drop a spring, then down air onto the spring. It was hard as hell to hit him or punish him due to lag.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I'd take the Metaknight player any day of the week. Pikachu, imo, is horrible against Olimar. I think the boards underestimate how much it is in Olimar's favor.

Wow, when I finally decide not to go to a tournament, everyone goes. Huntsville really needs its own tournaments.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
Janitor, he's that good, once you learn how to fight him and all. I live behind daniel's house. I know more about Olimar than anyone should.

I wouldn't whine if i was alone. But i've heard people say "that's the least fun i've ever had playing brawl" after playing an olimar player.
i dont mind. because there is only a couple olimar mains ever.
MK is more of a bummer becuase there is a growing multitude of them and playing him IS the least fun ive ever had playing brawl.

so as long as olimar doesnt reach MK's annoyingness... its all good to me.

and i always end up saying "WTF all i saw was a big rainbow go across the screen and olimar won... i dont know what the **** is going on" as my olimar john. and i like saying it. and i like gimping and edgehogging. olimar matchup wins.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
i dont mind. because there is only a couple olimar mains ever.
MK is more of a bummer becuase there is a growing multitude of them and playing him IS the least fun ive ever had playing brawl.

so as long as olimar doesnt reach MK's annoyingness... its all good to me.

and i always end up saying "WTF all i saw was a big rainbow go across the screen and olimar won... i dont know what the **** is going on" as my olimar john. and i like saying it. and i like gimping and edgehogging. olimar matchup wins.
Diddy is to universal to be bothered by trivial things such as Pikmin and Meatknights. Its all one huge sausagefest!

Aurorazoni

Smash Journeyman
Galaxy is out of state...so Mo_ and I can't go. :[ Alabama needs another Brawl tourney.
@George-That sucks about the car issue. Hope it's just brake fluids that are needed.
BTW Mo wanted to friendly you at Gamebox the other day. XD

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor

well I know he's not better than metaknight or snake. and I don't think either of them are that bad.

I think my main issue is that I severely underestimate olimars range.

like his grab range is pretty ****ing stupid. and not only the range, but how long the grab hitbox stays out.

and its pretty difficult to keep up with the pikmin. they're very small, and they have extraordinary hitboxes.

but olimar is weird, like usually i can play pretty campy, build momentum, and then just run a train on my opponent, but with olimar you have to like stay campy the whole time
i guess

who else in bham has a carrrrr
adaaaaaaaaaam

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer

I've never heard anyone that knew generally how to fight Olimar complain about anyone except me. The person you're quoting right there was when I three stocked one of the Brawl haters at Moogle's apartment. He didn't have the slightest concept of how to play the game in the first place. Of course it's going to be frustrating fighting a unique character that he's never played against before in a different game.

As for me, that's my playstyle, I'm a hardcore camper that's big about walling people out of my bubble. If you get close, I run away. That can be frustrating as well- just as any character that camps or walls you off. That's just what I'm more comfortable doing in a tough matchup.

If he's that tough for you, then just play MK more often- Olimar's 1st or 2nd worst matchup.

edit: Munkus, I might pick up MK to deal with MK. Pops might use him more often as well.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, ok.

I think everyone should pick up MK. It'll happen eventually. :)

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
I will murder each and every person that tries to pick up MK with seriousness.

They will all die.

Only will and will.

Munkus and the Underscore.

Will_

Smash Journeyman
My car is officially out of commission. Reflex and Will_ may remember some issues with my brakes during our massive Philly roadtrip. Well, they're completely gone as of last night. No idea when it can be fixed. I thought it might have just been the brake pads, but it seems like it's far worse than that.

We should play Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: My Toes.

I'm currently amassing a collection of NES and SNES stuff I should have gotten a long time ago. I finally got a multitap for NBA Jam, Bomberman, and Tiny Toons. And I finally got Secret of Mana, so it should be put to good use.

We need to find a 1 on 1 Government board.
****, really? I'll help with some of the costs, I'm a good chunk responsible for it.

Now I really gotta win saturday. -_-;

munkus said:
Munkus and the Underscore.
I don't know why but...

sounds like one hell of a movie title to me.

Mr. Referee

Smash Cadet
sLAm what do you think about having a smashfest at your house soon. I will bring my doubles partner and we can get some doubles practice in with you and Skiz.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
i will run that by skiz and see what he says.
he is currently grounded but ill see if it can happen.

we're trying to get a wario and DDD team going.

Majist

Smash Journeyman
btw slam, i had been meaning to give you some advice for your DDD based on what i saw at the last tourney. You can throw it right back if you don't agree, cuz frankly i don't play him, nor do i encounter him much, but anyways...

get into the habit of throwing lots of waddle doo's. When you fought my Ike, you didn't throw one. Not one. Waddle doo's are a great projectile and make it very hard for close-range characters like Ike to approach the King. Plus, there's a chance you'll get a Gordo out, and they actually pop up more often than you'd expect, and kill at relatively low percentages.

That was just one thing I noticed while i fought you that one time. Anyone else can feel free to stomp me into the ground if needed and give better advice. But, there's my 2 cents.

Constructive Feedback!! Managers must give Constructive Feedback and Follow up!!! Discipline! DISCIPLIIIIIINE!!!!!

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
I already explained to SlAm that he doesn't play DDD campy and cheap and glitchy enough to succeed. I think he finally gave up and went for GW, or something like that, I never see him use D3 lmao.

BTW, you guys should instead of going to SlAms house with parents lurking about, come to my apartment, where only me and my GF make the rules!

Also I'm lonely! =D

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Oh boy, this is gonna be long.
*cracks fingers*
Btw why don't you ever get on AIM anymore Ref.

I miss you Ref.

..... I love you Ref....

Winnar

Smash Lord
As for me, that's my playstyle, I'm a hardcore camper that's big about walling people out of my bubble. If you get close, I run away. That can be frustrating as well- just as any character that camps or walls you off. That's just what I'm more comfortable doing in a tough matchup.
Weird, that's not the impression I got from fighting your Olimar, though I guess there's not really much I DO remember from fighting you. It's a blur of...I don't know, happy? XD

Seriously, when is Nice1 planning on uploading those videos? It's been weeks <_<

Also, I ordered a capture card :D It should be in as early as this weekend, though probably sometime next week.

Also pivot walking is hilarious XD

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
My experiences at Reflex's house was quite a lot of "new".

Reflex is awesome. Just as good as everyone made him out to be. I had to start off at an instant disadvantage by not knowing what to expect from a good PT main. I'm crippled with so much inexperience in matchups and it's going to hurt for a long time. However, I didn't get as badly torn up as I thought I would. Of course I did better at TCS than I thought I would too.

Overall I used DK, Ike, Pit once or twice, and I think Lucario once or twice too. I'm pretty sure I won the first match with Ike, but that seemed was possibly a fluke because I got slammed every other time I used him. I think I beat him once or twice overall with DK too, but the other 10 matches was a bust lol. Reflex knows how to predict, bait, and manipulate like a pro, and that was both fun and frustrating to match up against, he adapted to me much faster than I did him. I played against many other people like Elev8, Kismet, and the lesser known Nytse.
Nytse used TL against me, I beat him up a couple times with DK. Then Reflex goes "You're doing it wrong." and uses TL against my DK. I barely beat him the first match, then get slammed in 3 more matches. Then, Reflex did the exact same thing again with Pikachu. Overall Reflex used both these characters at only above average levels, but the thing that was winning was that he was severerly exploiting DK like I have never seen. In ways that made it much harder for me to fight them than even PT at it's best.
I don't know if anyone else is going to abuse DK's weaknesses like Captain Reflex did, but it was certainly a nice wake up call one way or another. Thanks to that and the other matchups, I actually became afraid to use DK by the end of the night and used almost only Kirby. Now I've reached the point where I'm currently dual maining DK and Kirby, and until I can learn how to counter DK's weaknesses, assuming I have to keep facing them, I may make DK my secondary and Kirby my main.

Kirby is too ****ing good.
Reflex sacraficed 30 virgins before each of our matches to give himself power.
Totally Tuna.

Mr. Referee

Smash Cadet
lol I keep forgetting that I even have AIM. I'll probably get on wed. night sometime. And I was in Auburn last Friday but you just had to go to Reflex's on thursday.

EDIT: That story was great Kalm. I didn't know DK had any big weaknesses that would stop somebody from maining him. I guess Reflex is truly legendary.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Well they hurt really badly, but at the same time I could likely get around it with enough experience. Even then it's only certain attacks and certain stage issues.

In the end it was this combined with Kismet's Falco + Nytse Toon Link that made using DK so frustrating.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
Weird, that's not the impression I got from fighting your Olimar, though I guess there's not really much I DO remember from fighting you. It's a blur of...I don't know, happy? XD

Seriously, when is Nice1 planning on uploading those videos? It's been weeks <_<

Also, I ordered a capture card :D It should be in as early as this weekend, though probably sometime next week.

Also pivot walking is hilarious XD
It's difficult to camp for very long against Snake. He closes the gap between the two so quickly. Also, I've decided that I'd rather combo Snake at low percents and get some momentum early rather than throw a lot of pikmin. Being ambivalent about the latter is what I think lost me the first match to you in winner's so badly. That and you did a good job of keeping the momentum.

I've been checking every day on Nice1's youtube channel for them. :p

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
im afraid to play MK against DanGR's olimar because i'm pretty bad with MK. but i'm probably not going to play snake against him much anymore until i figger out that match up. dangr doesn't let me camp like i'm used to

but i feel like I can pretty much beat any character except olimar
so that's kind of good.
i did well in all my matches at tcs, except the one against danGR.
i barely lost to moogle and his kill you at 90% upsmash, did that set get recorded? that was fun. moogle doesn't fall for any mindgames.
and fox's lasers blow up grenades, which is irrational

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
god
i might just push my car to the limit and drive to huntsville
because I want to go to game galaxy on saturday
can someone in the huntsville area take a possible crew of bhamians to game galaxy
anyone want to chip in gas
:-/

The Alpha Gundam

Smash Champion
god
i might just push my car to the limit and drive to huntsville
because I want to go to game galaxy on saturday
can someone in the huntsville area take a possible crew of bhamians to game galaxy
anyone want to chip in gas
:-/

apparently the only way I can get my sig to show is if i quote someone
do your patriotic duty and cast your vote *points to sig*

Top Bottom