• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't know what it is about Lucario, but other than Coach's they all seem to play the same, which is pretty badly. Even Azen's didn't seem too tricky when Will_ and I played him and Chu in doubles, though that could have been sandbagging.
Azen doesn't sandbag.

Lucario isn't a complicated character, but he is a pretty good one. Roll spam covers more distance than most characters' running. F-Smash is close to unpunishable.

The main thing that keeps Lucario going is that it's incredibly hard to hit him on the ground. It's very boring fighting a defensive Lucario.

Mahgnittoc

Smash Ace
Hehehe, this is funny cause I started messing with Lucario yesterday. I was playing my friends IC and had never used Lucario before but spammed like a pro and won.

munkus beaver

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0619-4510-9772
So if I came to Huntsville on Friday, would there be people heading to galaxy on Saturday morning? And back on saturday night?

Just curious.

Might be willing to drive up to Huntsvegas if that's the case.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Compared to?

Is my jokedar broken?
see, coach does this thing where he's completely belligerent and disagreeable all the time but he does it jocularly so ultimately everyone still loves him <3

and he does have a good lucario. because he doesn't read the lucario boards that tell him that spamming rolls and smashes is a good idea. and because he understands the basics of smash, which tell you that spamming rolls and smashes is n00b stuff. People who played melee have a huge advantage in Brawl IMO. Especially people who played low tiers in Melee.

That's why melee heads don't like brawl because something as dumb as spamming rolls and smashes is actually sometimes a viable strategy

but nobody good is going to lose to someone who does that, even if it takes extreme camping and boringness, which is why i'm not sure if lucario's that great a character

i mean, maybe f-smash is unpunishable, but that doesn't mean i'm ever going to get hit by it
just pick R.O.B. and never approach. :-D

or maybe we just need more players like coach

but lucario is the character I play with the least (because he's stupid) so what do i know

coach

Smash Apprentice
my biggest problem with brawl players is that 75% of them don't know how the game is suppose to flow and to them playing defensively is rewarded (uninteresting as it is). The interesting players that i've seen play brawl actually do **** that makes me think there is hope for the game. Unfortunately, that hope is shattered any time i sit down to play it, because it's just so intrinsically bad. Additionally, its player base isn't my demographic at all. I hate to say that "lol smash is for kids", but most kids in high school are growing up with this as their smash game. That in itself is just such a travesty to me.

I've designed a flow chart for how to play brawl better, even though I don't play it.

Step 1: get better fundamentals, the game is slower think moves in advance like chess you have time
Step 2: stop thinking spamming is good, unless you're playing against a character you must claim board control over. another okay situation is that you can do something unpunishable while keeping the game interesting.
Step 3: watch a smash 64 video and figure out board placement of your character.
Step 4: play thousands of hours to smash games, this will help you learn the flow of how games should be played. play online 64 or brawl if you have to.
Step 5: obligatory quit brawl.

SleepyK

Banned via Administration
my biggest problem with brawl players is that 75% of them don't know how the game is suppose to flow and to them playing defensively is rewarded (uninteresting as it is). The interesting players that i've seen play brawl actually do **** that makes me think there is hope for the game. Unfortunately, that hope is shattered any time i sit down to play it, because it's just so intrinsically bad. Additionally, its player base isn't my demographic at all. I hate to say that "lol smash is for kids", but most kids in high school are growing up with this as their smash game. That in itself is just such a travesty to me.

I've designed a flow chart for how to play brawl better, even though I don't play it.

Step 1: get better fundamentals, the game is slower think moves in advance like chess you have time
Step 2: stop thinking spamming is good, unless you're playing against a character you must claim board control over. another okay situation is that you can do something unpunishable while keeping the game interesting.
Step 3: watch a smash 64 video and figure out board placement of your character.
Step 4: play thousands of hours to smash games, this will help you learn the flow of how games should be played. play online 64 or brawl if you have to.
Step 5: obligatory quit brawl.
the problem with this game is that you can't "keep it interesting" with certain characters.
You can defensively spam and do just fine. (Spanimals in melee lulz)
64 and brawl are very different lulz
there is really no "way" that smash games should be played.
Your opinion on how enjoyable certain things are doesn't change the game at all.

However, Brawl sux, play Melee, etc.

really.
it sux.

play melee.

shaSLAM

Smash Lord
here is my tactics on how to be slam at brawl.
watch americas best dance crew
consistantly ***** about how stupid the crews are
post millions of youtube comments spamming how bad fly khicks is.
pick up controller
demand matches on AiB
lose the majority of them
complain some more.

repeat process until one day you get better. :D

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
brawl is a thinking game, and mindless strategies win against mindless players
although I understand the criticisms, the fact that there are players whom these dumb strategies don't work on at all shows me that the game can be played at a high level
and I enjoy the game
but brawl is definitely a defensive game. reflex is like the only person in america who wins tournaments without being campy and annoying lol
but the game was obviously created to benefit the defensive player. Shielding, rolling, and spotdodging are all super OP in this game
the class of high level players is just really small this time around, because playing well requires almost entirely being a clever player, and some people just aint clever.
that had good tech skill and played really cleverly, except in melee the Average players were also amazing at the game lol

also duchocula when do you plan to swing through bham

j00t

Smash Champion
brawl is a thinking game, and mindless strategies win against mindless players
although I understand the criticisms, the fact that there are players whom these dumb strategies don't work on at all shows me that the game can be played at a high level
and I enjoy the game
the class of high level players is just really small this time around, because playing well requires almost entirely being a clever player, and some people just aint clever.
that had good tech skill and played really cleverly, except in melee the Average players were also amazing at the game lol

also duchocula when do you plan to swing through bham
I think you are wrong on that... average players with amazing tech skill are -NOT- amazing at the game.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
i think what i'm trying to say is that there was a clearer line between competitive and casual in melee. At any random melee tournament, you could point out a randon guy, and he would probably be pretty good at the game. Simply knowing the game, and being able to fluidly move your character around and capture and keep momentum goes a really long way in melee.

and its really not that way in brawl at the moment at all.

but people take competitive Brawl less seriously than melee anyway. which is why there are only a handful of really good players

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I plan on leaving Tuscaloosa when my last class gets out (can't skip it, sad-face). That's at 2:00, so I'll be leaving about 2:30. Get to Bham around 3:30ish. I dunno when I plan on leaving Bham, though. 3:30 is a bit early to be heading up to Huntsville, so I'll probably start picking up and leaving around 5:00.

Now for the real question: Who needs a ride? I've got Kevin at the moment aaaaand three empty seats. I plan on coming back Saturday night if it's not too rediculously late. It depends, really. But I'm guessing no one has any plans on a Sunday anyway. Just go with the floooowwwww.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I plan on leaving Tuscaloosa when my last class gets out (can't skip it, sad-face). That's at 2:00, so I'll be leaving about 2:30. Get to Bham around 3:30ish. I dunno when I plan on leaving Bham, though. 3:30 is a bit early to be heading up to Huntsville, so I'll probably start picking up and leaving around 5:00.

Now for the real question: Who needs a ride? I've got Kevin at the moment aaaaand three empty seats. I plan on coming back Saturday night if it's not too rediculously late. It depends, really. But I'm guessing no one has any plans on a Sunday anyway. Just go with the floooowwwww.
My group needs a ride; that'd be myself, Kismet, and Kalm.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Oh, ok. I thought you meant you didn't have a ride to Huntsville. I heard there are three cars leaving from Huntsville. You guys should be able to catch a ride with someone.

j00t

Smash Champion
Reflex! Can't wait to see you. I'm doing Ganon vs. your Wario. Be there or be square.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
@Reflex + crew, were you guys planning on coming up through Bham? Cause I could just drive you up to Htown and beyond. If you're comfortable with that (no homo).

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
on snap dropping that math knowledge

i'm top tier in geometry. I used to make 100s on all the tests.
Proofs are my ****, I won the math tournament that year

CPCTC son

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
okay, I owe my dad 400 dollars
so if I have 25 left after that tomorrow then I can go

also, i may need to borrow a controller from one of you gents. mine's starting to get crappy on me

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
@Reflex + crew, were you guys planning on coming up through Bham? Cause I could just drive you up to Htown and beyond. If you're comfortable with that (no homo).
This would be wonderful, actually. Saves me a whole hour of driving, and my car is kind of old.

Do you mind PM'ing me your address and a phone number?

Top Bottom