• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Thread! (10/26/2016 update)

3GOD

Smash Ace
sheik can combo every character in the game to kingdom come, except space animals. especially ganon. most ganon's seem to consider sheik the bane of their existence.
Ganon can also combo Sheik pretty well (and chaingrab too), and he can space really well with Fairs and Bairs. Don't forget - Ganon hits HARD. It literally only takes about 3-4 hits to get Sheik off stage, in which case she is almost certainly going to be edgeguarded effectively.

also about edgeguarding sheik, high level players mix up their edge guards, and that "roll on the edge, f-smash" stuff doesn't work as much. especially if that's you're entire sheik edgeguard strat. many times they just predict you're going to do it and grab the ledge. then it becomes a guessing game.
I don't roll on the edge when guarding Sheik. If you wavedash fast fall edgehog at the right moment, you can avoid the first portion of the Up-B (the only portion with a hitbox). Then just stay on the edge until she appears on stage (or above/by the edge in which case she's a goner). If she is on the stage, you can ledge hop a good aerial (with some characters), or ledge dash to grab, or just ledge hop and grab. You don't have to roll to get back on stage.

Prac352

Smash Lord
I'm honestly wondering at this point if Janitor really believes this stuff he's saying or if he's just trolling.

-Chad-

Slackerator
Roy's only kill move is f-smash, which, due to d-tilt is ridiculously easy to get on fox. with marth it requires spacing or grabbing to get a perfect tipper. roy can just CC, d-tilt to f-smash--then d-tilt f-smash edgeguard killing spacies at ridiculously low starting percents. Roy has all the same advantages over fox that marth does; chain grabs, easy(er) edguarding, with the added advantage of roy's d-tilt ****** spacies hard. forward b also tears up spacies.

also fox can't waveshine combo Roy, like he can Marth. he can thunders him, but thunders combo is lame once its predicted. and can't you tech the shine anyway? Roy dies vertically at lower percents than marth. (i think)

and since Fox's edgeguarding isn't THAT strong, roy's bad recovery isn't THAT much of a problem.

i definitely disagree that roy is better against sheik than Marth. Roy does nothing against sheik. and sheik can chaingrab roy easier than most characters. and roy has no hope of recover against a sheik.

You're insane O_o......................

Like I've heard of wishful thinking but whoaaa

Roy is GARBAGE compared to Marth and especially vs Fox.

Roy has d-tilt f-smash. u-throw f-smash (low percents). Those are about the only reliable combos that will work 'sides I guess forward b stuff.

CC to d-tilt probably won't work if a Fox drill shines, or just grabs you. If he falls for it and continues to fall for it, then you probably should win anyway cause dum fox

Roy's edgeguarding is subpar at best.

Rest of Roy's game is just outspacing and etc.

Marth has chainthrow to like, up-tilt, f-smash, whatever the hell else he wants to kill you with.

u-throw tipper is also nice, which leads to Marth's super gimp ledgeguarding and lets not forget b-throw off the ledge to m2k edgeguard gimp.

Spacing with Marth is also easier since the emphasis is on the tip of his blade and not the center, you don't have to get as close.

I really just don't see how anyone could possibly think Roy is a better matchup vs Fox than Marth O_o.... I mean I don't think Neo ever beat M2K's Fox...or whatever else example to use in this instance of an awesome Roy player beating a credible Fox player.

@Prac- Yeah..me too....but ****it I already typed this up.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Marth can also gimp spacies from a single throw near the edge pretty easily. At GA I was playing my Marth against some spacies and just camping the edge, dthrow=>fast fall fair=>reverse up-B or dthrow=>fast fall fair=>DJ fair. Roy can't do that stuff.

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
Behold, the only guy cool enough to put a quote in his sig made by himself, stating how cool he is for quoting the fact that he quoted himself and put it in his sig.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
fox isn't going to win by drill shining and grabbing all day long. if the roy is competent. drill shine doesn't lead to anything except maybe some chasing, and takes like fifteen damge. he eventually will have to throw out an attack than can be CC'd. then d-tilt, f-smash, edguard. and assuming the roy is a competent player he will know how to bait his d-tilt, which, i dont know if you remember this, it automatically leads to roy's strongest move, which sets fox up for death at very low percentages. Fox can be at 20%. d-tilt, f-smash, edguard, death. Fox doesn't kill Roy that quickly.

in contrast, fox can drillshine, wavedash, upthrow, upair, (and possible one or two more upairs) Marth, then do it again and marth is pretty much dead.

Roy edgeguards fox as easily as marth does, with d-tilt, to f-smash. Roy's not a good character at all, but he can own fastfallers.

hey maybe its just my roy thats better than my marth against Fox. seems unlikely

Prac352

Smash Lord
fox isn't going to win by drill shining and grabbing all day long. if the roy is competent. drill shine doesn't lead to anything except maybe some chasing, and takes like fifteen damge. he eventually will have to throw out an attack than can be CC'd.
Or fox could just grab you and then do whatever he pleases from there.

hey maybe its just my roy thats better than my marth against Fox. seems unlikely
I'd like a Fox vs Roy mm when next we meet, sir.

j00t

Smash Champion
fox isn't going to win by drill shining and grabbing all day long. if the roy is competent. drill shine doesn't lead to anything except maybe some chasing, and takes like fifteen damge. he eventually will have to throw out an attack than can be CC'd. then d-tilt, f-smash, edguard. and assuming the roy is a competent player he will know how to bait his d-tilt, which, i dont know if you remember this, it automatically leads to roy's strongest move, which sets fox up for death at very low percentages. Fox can be at 20%. d-tilt, f-smash, edguard, death. Fox doesn't kill Roy that quickly.

in contrast, fox can drillshine, wavedash, upthrow, upair, (and possible one or two more upairs) Marth, then do it again and marth is pretty much dead.

Roy edgeguards fox as easily as marth does, with d-tilt, to f-smash. Roy's not a good character at all, but he can own fastfallers.

Fox destroys Roy. Upthrow -> uair -> uair -> uair -> uair -> dead on Yoshi's Story at 70%. It's great.

But you are forgetting Fox's upthrow in your observations. It kills Roy. You say that he EVENTUALLY will have to use an attack that CAN be CC'd. He can just easily build percent up until you can't CC anything.

And Roy's fsmash against Fox will NOT kill him at 20%. It's a little stronger than Marth's fsmash, so i'd say it'll kill Fox on any stage besides Yoshi's Story at 100%. And Fox's upair kills Roy on most stages at around 100%. Meh, I would continue, but I really want to sleep.

-Chad-

Slackerator
So the whole game you're going to try for d-tilt f-smash?

I don't think that's a very effective strategy.

Sure fox can't kill Roy at 30% (unless he shines Roy's god awful recovery, gg) but Fox can sure as hell rack up damage way faster than Roy can. And what happens when Roy doesn't get the d-tilt f-smash? He CAN'T KILL AT ALL. Seriously, he has like n-air at that point and that probably won't even kill.

And a Fox is going to win by drill shining and then grabbing you when you either tech roll or react accordingly to your get up roll/attack, cause u-throw u-air works at killable percents vs Roy easily.

Fox can do that to a large majority of the cast. Just cause Fox can't waveshine Roy doesn't mean that u-throw u-air is suddenly useless cause Fox is already fast as hell and it wouldn't take much to catch a Roy with his slow smashes and short range reliability.

Marth has many more options than Roy for edgeguarding. If Fox sweetspots the ledge then I don't think d-tilt f-smash is going to work, and it defintally won't work past a reasonable percent.

Everyone can **** fastfallers in some way, because they fall fast and have lots of hitstun, and fastfallers are fun to fight because of that. That doesn't mean that they counter them, I mean Pika has all kinds of fun stuff vs fastfallers but he only goes even against Falcon and gets counters by Fox/Falco.

Next time we're around each other I'd love to get some Fox vs Roy matches in =x

Kalm

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Unibias
3DS FC
1650-2449-3447
^^ if i was half as original as you, i'd kill myself.

Sorry, I had to post it somewhere.

It will be better after some time has past. And it would have been funnier if I hand't come up with the idea and posted it in the middle of a melee debate. These two things I'm willing to admit and give up.

Until I decided rather or not its great or crap, we can all have fun killing ourselves.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Or fox could just grab you and then do whatever he pleases from there.

I'd like a Fox vs Roy mm when next we meet, sir.
well prac and chad both of you are better than me and would beat me with any character probably regardless of the matchup.

i'm not trying to say that Roy ***** fox, just that i think he has a better shot than Marth.

i mean you guys have more game knowledge than me, this just is how it looks to me, and i think people hate on roy just cuz its roy.

I suppose Fox could dash dance back and forth and mindgame a grab and upthrow upair, and just do that over and over again. but seems a competent player wouldn't fall for that strat.

-Chad-

Slackerator
I <3 Roy, I really do >_< he's my boy. But he's soooo baaaaaaad. Even so I enjoy playing him more than Marth.

Laser campy Fox, forces Roy to approach. Completely destroys CC idea. Roy's approaches are garbage because he needs the center of his blade to hit to do anything other than get a horrid sounding thwack that sounds like a plastic baseball bat. If he happens to get a hit in, then his options afterward are usually very lacking.

moogle

Smash Ace
A little late, but someone listed me as Marth at TGMTSBCO. I am a Fox main. Marth is my secondary.

*cactus dances away*
moogles dance, not cactuars!

i'm not trying to say that Roy ***** fox, just that i think he has a better shot than Marth.
Mewtwo and Pichu have ways to destroy Fox also, but it doesn't stop the matchup from being waaay in Fox's favor. Fox has a lot more good options than any of the low tiers.

coach

Smash Apprentice

i mean you guys have more game knowledge than me, this just is how it looks to me, and i think people hate on roy just cuz its roy.

I suppose Fox could dash dance back and forth and mindgame a grab and upthrow upair, and just do that over and over again. but seems a competent player wouldn't fall for that strat.
No he doesnt have a better shot than marth. The advantage you get from playing Roy (a lesser known matchup) is almost completely offset by the tier difference. We don't hate on roy because it's roy, but because we're all tier whores and know to play the characters that are better than the other half. It all comes down to how smart YOU are playing, which is why players like chad and iori can get away with playing pikachu and mewtwo (they play ******** well). The point at which their playing is how most top tier matches go; player starts combo, player doesnt mess up, player kills other player. If you need a very tight definition of this watch any falcon video with isai, it happens all the time. Your last point. Fox can do just about anything fox pleases. Fox can definitely start getting a player into the air other ways, he has the highest concentration of the best moves in the game. In closing it's great you want to make Roy your own, but he isnt good and it will take a full understanding of game dynamics before he evolves into something original and competitive.

If any of this is offensive, don't take me seriously. That seems to be a good write off these days.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
speaking of tourney rides, moogle/duchock who's taking me to waba and when should i be ready
Unless Moogle wants to drive down and pick us both up, looks like it's gonna be me. While I'd love you forever, Moogle, I know it's-- like-- way out of the way.

By my mathematics, I'd be leaving Bham around 12:00-:30 sometime. So, pack your bags a little before that. And incase you missed this too, I'd be leaving Saturday night, which means noooo melee for us.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't absolutely hate staying for melee on Sunday. It's just that I don't want to hastle for a place to lay my head... but I recall either George or Kevin saying that they needed to be back in the 'ham on Sunday.

But then again, I have very short term memory.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
@ coach, I don't really want to make Roy "my own", i'm aware that he's a pretty bad character. In fact, the only characters that I feel comfortable playing roy against are fast-fallers (and bad ganons :-P). *shrugs*

is anyone from Huntsville going to Waba?

and... are Birmingham people staying for Melee on Sunday?

I want to stay for Melee.
But as I am not driving, it's not up to me. George has to be back aparently, so if you would like to take me home after Melee, moogle, that would be nice :-D

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
I have no idea why i am still on the alabama list cause i said that i was done since literally no one plays around here. Please remove me. . .

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Okay Kevin. But if you win money, you owe me.

So it looks, as of now, it'll be me, Kev, and George ridin' outta bham around 12:30. After the tournament, Kevin will either stick around and be driven home with Moogle (given that he'll pass through the 'ham), or he'll ride home with George and I late Saturday (given the former, not).

Call me with the rendezvous point again, George. I have your number, but I'm not sure it's correct...

moogle

Smash Ace
I'm gonna try to get to the Birmingham area around 12:30. I'm still not sure if I'm staying for Melee on Sunday. The primary problem is that I haven't figured out where to stay overnight in Atlanta.

I may be content to leave my car somewhere in Birmingham, ride with you guys, and miss the Melee tourney.

GeorgeTHPS

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GeorgeThePlushie
3DS FC
1676-3689-8314
Hoover is a bit out of the way heading towards Hotlanta from your area. I may just leave my car behind at Janitor's apartment complex. I have Bawls just in case I get tired. It's always a good plan.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
Tarnish, whats the big deal. maybe one day you'll get a car or maybe one day nintendo will update their online service to not be ****ty. There are tons of inactive people on the list, at least you actually post.

so it looks like moogle and george are leaving their car at my apts. and we're riding out around 12:30, and missing the melee tourney.. if anyone wants to come by early and play some melee that would be fun :-P

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Ha... none of my posts matter anyways. I plan on getting a motorcycle next year sometime but anyways i just dont see myself playing smash anymore. I actually want to trade my Wii in ( even though i wont ) because i dont play it much anymore. I just bought Wii Fit too and im already bored with it, i know there are a few other games coming out that ill buy but man smash for me is just over for real this time. Guilty Gear X2 Reload was put on the Xbox Originals download the other day and i got it and im getting back into the game, plus theres a game called " Blaz Blue " coming to the PS3 the fall or winter thats made by the same company and i plan on getting PS3 just for that. Anyways i dont see a future for me and smash anymore, no one plays around here, i dont go to tournaments, even if i did have a car i wouldnt come near enough to keep up with everyone.

saintrage

Smash Cadet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZD23YQfnEHU

best snake ditto ever, from the way it begins to the way it ends
that was amazing...

Also, good luck everyone. Moogle if you want, you can change my mains to G&W and i'm not sure of who else yet. I might actually pick up snake.

Good luck at the tournament, i'm coming home from vacation on monday, and the only day i can play this up coming week is tuesday. My friend called in a favor and now i work saturday. Well sunday is also an option, but i wouldn't be there till 8, so what ever is best for everyone. Bring home some cash this time Bama :p

Top Bottom