• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Smash League - Season 3 Ready for AAAaaction

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
Hey guys! I'm moving to Pensacola, Florida this summer, and I'll be attending a college just across the Alabama border. I was wondering if there was anything going down there, or if there are any smashers in that area I could meet up with at some point? I'd love to continue playing competitively, but it'd be hard if I didn't have anyone to play with.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
There's a few smashers in PCola, but work hurts the ability to travel.

There is, however, a fair number of active tournament goers in Mobile who are willing to play and carpool.

I see your location, you know Doromac? If the answer is yes, tell him he's a ***** for me the next time you see him.

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
I don't. The only smashers I know are KOKingpin, Yoshiiscool, and Ajax615. I know a few others, but they don't have accounts here.

That's good to hear! I'll sign up for the AL Smash League, and hopefully start playing in the community!

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
We'll see what happens. I'm going to be in Pensacola monday-friday this week looking at apartments. Any suggestions, by any chance? Anywhere that I SHOULDN'T live?

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
Protoman, my roommate (Zone) and I live in Pensacola. He's strictly Melee and although I used to play Brawl, I've gone back to just Melee as well.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Just wondering, did I get negative points for the Tuscaloosa tournament because I had to leave after making it out of pools?

*Cam*

Smash Lord
No. Just keep in mind that this update includes HASL II and Iron Brawl III. One possibility is that you lost to me twice, and I was ranked below you.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I'm not an alarmist, but I do want to make you guys realize something important. The way community interest has nosedived since Season 1, we are considering not having a Season 3 with the same perks as the first two seasons. We would have to go back to normal entry fees for tournaments, no more $25 or $30 for 5 or 6 tournaments. I don't know about you, but I don't want that. If we keep following the same trend, this will be the result. Season 2 payouts are going to happen, you have my word. However, I can't in good faith support the same system for Season 3.

The only way to avoid this is to raise interest in our tournaments. Resist 5 had 10 entrants. I'm sorry, but that is sad. We need more activity, more hype. We can't just sit on our hands anymore. Invite people to come to the tournaments. Organize carpools. Get new people interested in smash. A few of us have tried to tackle these important tasks on our own, but the truth is that we can't do it by ourselves. We either are going to generate interest as a community or not at all.

There are smash clubs at Auburn, Huntsville, and Tuscaloosa. If you want to help, a good place to start would be making appearances at any of these clubs and helping players get better and get more interested in tournaments.

If you want real numbers, here are some real numbers. We have 24 people signed up for season 2 right now. We need 16 more for a sustainable budget. I know ~5 people that I can guarantee will sign up before the end of the season. Surely as a community, we can find 10 more people who want to go to tournaments. In fact, here's the list of people who have signed up:

Reflex
Ryker
Cam
Micaelis
AwakenedM
Cheap
Spade
JTMerrel
YAWP
Blue
Ingulit
JMIX
Guapo
Pops
WumpusKing
George
TY
M3t
Duchock
Ragnarok
Player-1
Deptford Goth
TheOneJanitor
Kismet

I just want you to know that this deal isn't going to maintain itself without more interest from the community. If we want a Season 3 as good as or better than the first two, then we will have to work for it.

I do want to pose this question to all of you: what changes to the system would make you more interested?

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
Have more tournaments that limits travel for the MAJORITY of members.
Huntsville to Saraland = about a 5 hour trip
Auburn to Saraland = 3 and a half hours
Birmingham to Saraland = 4 hours
ATL, GA to Saraland = 5 hours
I was opposed to having another tournament in Mobile after the last one flopped. It's nothing against the guys down there. We are just not accommodating a scene when we go down there, just making a burden for everyone else. Host more tournaments in places that prevent ppl from having to travel as much. Huntsville, AU, and Bham has scenes; tournaments should be held there. Smith Station isn't the most ideal place for everyone in the state, but it's close to AU, it's 2 and a half hours for bham, and the closest location for GA (i think). What does everyone else think? I saw ppl posting that they weren't up for traveling that far. I believe that is the biggest issue.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
The biggest issue was that scheduling conflicts came up with BOTH TUSCALOOSA AND GA which not only divided our attendance, but hurt our local attendance due to date switch late in the game. Resist can consistently pull in numbers 20+ which is where I draw the mark for where I would no longer host it.

I refuse to think that if we can go to 3 tournaments that are 3 hours away and one that's five that it's too much to ask that other scenes not be bothered to travel to one in Mobile and one in Huntsville on opposite ends of the season.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
The biggest issue was that scheduling conflicts came up with BOTH TUSCALOOSA AND GA which not only divided our attendance, but hurt our local attendance due to date switch late in the game. Resist can consistently pull in numbers 20+ which is where I draw the mark for where I would no longer host it.

I refuse to think that if we can go to 3 tournaments that are 3 hours away and one that's five that it's too much to ask that other scenes not be bothered to travel to one in Mobile and one in Huntsville on opposite ends of the season.
Tuscaloosa has something happening next wk, but I didn't think anything was happening yesterday. What local attendance? I was under the impression that the only ppl that play brawl there are you, rag, moth, and I think M3t now. You're saying Resist can consistently pull in 20+, but the last two didn't. I understand that you guys do have to travel alot, but I'd rather inconvenience 3 to 4 ppl, than an entire state. Huntsville has a scene there/locals that show to their tournaments. I think that's what sets them apart from Mobile.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
You're simply wrong. We have multiple players who do well that mainly play other games around the area including a few more from North Florida. We have the four you mentioned plus 2-3 melee players that travel. Off the top of my head, we had one guy who had already planned a trip to the beach for the weekend, two guys who couldn't get off work on short notice, a car of melee players from Mississippi that couldn't make the date, Saint and whoever he would bring who couldn't come because Saint couldn't make it on that day. Past that, we have a car of players from Florida that we have the potential to pull who weren't going to make it to this on either day and we have Louisianna which we have pulled before and didn't pull. None of this concerns Birmingham, Tuscaloosa, or Georgia, all of which didn't show.

A lot of locals we have enjoy or get excited for tournaments (ask Luis how many times his name was shouted by some of these guys), but the only things they get are the ones we host because they can't or don't travel. There is NO launching point for extending our traveling group without an example of what a tourney can be like.

Tuscaloosa does have something happen this coming weekend, which is why we had to reschedule, which in turn, nuked our local attendance and set us up competing against a convention that is going to also have a smash tournament the following weekend. That's the entire reason we strive so hard to schedule in advance for ASL. Almost everyone's wallet can't support multiple tourneys in a row.

I reiterate. I do not think "inconveniencing" people for a tournament is too much to ask, especially when Mobile and Huntsville make it to ****ing everything.

I SEE YOU

Smash Ace
I'm not too concerned about accommodating MS, LA, and North FL. None of which have ppl who sign up for the AL smash league last season with the exception of Saint, who if Im not mistaken has said he wouldn't be able to go to tournaments until the summer. He has also said several times that the ppl he used to play with stopped playing. I see that you're mentioning melee alot, and I know that some of you guys still play it, but if I'm not mistaken ASL is much more concerned with Brawl. It's the main event or at least that is what the site, attendance, and set prizes show me. & like I already said, this isn't the 1st time Resist has flopped. This is the 2nd time, I don't know how well they have done in the past, but these last 2 (which have had set pots) have bombed. I don't see the issue in dropping Mobile from ASL and allowing them to have their own tournaments. Maybe the set pot is disrupting your OoS attendance and you're locals from showing up. Your locals maybe more interested in paying 5 dollar entrance rather than paying 30 for ASL and not being able to go to anymore tournaments.

Top Bottom