• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Smash League - Season 3 Ready for AAAaaction

*Cam*

Smash Lord
i just wanna sit behind the table and run brackets and stuff so you dont have to worry about that cheap cuz i know how to do that because i run wifi tournaments using tio brackets.
and i wanna be the one doing it cuh i wanna represent birmingham and be like a TO here or something cuz i would if there was a place nearby. but its up to you and whether or not you want my ameuatur help or the help of ASl members more lool

but i dont think running a tournament is that hard tbh.
It's hard if there's only one or two people running the whole thing. Otherwise, it's not too hard.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
shoot i dont care where he postin

yall tellin me you aint neva down for liq and dat VIP status?
yall cray

Lol I get different specials on different weekends

On topic tho... When exactly will season 2 start and will it b in this thread or another?

:sonic:

Host Change

Smash Ace
NNID
HostChange
3DS FC
0147-1153-9132
Woo can't wait for tomorrow! Anyway, how much is it for non ASL members to play? A couple of my friends that are not members have decided that they would like to come...

B_AWAL

Smash Master
U might was change tht March 26th part 2 May 26th and I'll b tryina make sure I go to the 1 in April

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Woo can't wait for tomorrow! Anyway, how much is it for non ASL members to play? A couple of my friends that are not members have decided that they would like to come...
$10 venue fee, $10 for Singles, $5 per person for Teams.

Player-1

Smash Legend
I'd really like to go to some season 2 tournaments and stuff and pay for the season deal, but I don't I'm going to attend any unless more AL start coming to more GA tournaments. I understand that some people might have a hard time finding the time to go or finding the money and stuff, but like if all I'm asking is like 1 tournament for some more AL to go to then I think that's pretty reasonable. It's just kinda sad to only see reflex, billy, and shaslam at some GA tournaments and not see any other AL players since you guys are so cool =/

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Well, I was at BBC and Bulldog Brawl II. However, you're right that there's never much of an AL presence at GA tourneys. I'll make more of an effort to advertise for your tournaments if you let me know about the tournament in advance.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I'd really like to go to some season 2 tournaments and stuff and pay for the season deal, but I don't I'm going to attend any unless more AL start coming to more GA tournaments. I understand that some people might have a hard time finding the time to go or finding the money and stuff, but like if all I'm asking is like 1 tournament for some more AL to go to then I think that's pretty reasonable. It's just kinda sad to only see reflex, billy, and shaslam at some GA tournaments and not see any other AL players since you guys are so cool =/
I'm trying, but one or two is about all I'm gonna manage. Huntsville just ate $50 bucks in gas split alone.

Worth the trip though.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Is anyone here making an appearance at Kamicon at Tuscaloosa next weekend? There will be a little Brawl Tournament there which was fun last year, despite me having lost to the winner. D:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah where the heck do u guys advertise ur tourneys GA???

aside from WABA...

Georgia has had very few tournaments in recent months. GX Gaming hosts tournaments with an alternative ruleset every now and again, but they make no effort to plan around the community's other events, so they don't get a lot of support.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I'm not completely done updating the OP, but I've changed the events to Season 2 events. I'm going to need to go to the library and use Photoshop to completely update the logos for each tournament.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I wanted to comment a bit on season 1, and how I'm really proud of this community. You can call it a speech if you want, but I just have to say it regardless. I think these last 5 tournaments went extraordinarily well, and I imagine the next 6 will be even better.

Yes, we stumbled at times, but each time we made a mistake, we learned from it and got better. When seeding became an issue, we designated 4 very well respected players from AL and GA to handle the seeding from now on. When borrowing sd cards drained too much time and became a hassle to handle, we all chipped in and bought/donated 9 permanent ASL sd cards. And after the MK ban announcement was too sudden, we decided from now on that major change had to come with a warning to the community and an explanation once it came.

Our tournaments have become more efficient. More people are bringing setups and the brackets are going much quicker as a result. The first HASL took until after midnight to complete. This HASL ended at 9. That just goes to show how far we have come.

More new players have joined the community, and they have been welcomed with open arms. My new players in Auburn love the IHOP tradition. Out of state players have also been welcomed as if they were fellow Alabamians.

Finally, the thing I am most proud of, we have made a remarkable shift from T.O. run tournaments to community run tournaments. Everyone pitches in at the tournament now. Everyone is willing to run the brackets or run an errand. Everyone feels like they have a stake in how the tournament is run, and they are eager to help.

I don't care how many people come to Texas, California, or New York tournaments. I don't care how cool their livestreams are or how skilled their players. Alabama has the best smash community in the entire country, Period.

guapo

Smash Apprentice
I enjoyed the haslII and will be attending a couple tournaments next season just have to get better lol

:phone:

allshort17

Smash Ace
Has this idea not been considered by any other region? If so, why not? I believe this was a great idea and is a great way to be efficient and unify a community.

B_AWAL

Smash Master
This is a GREAT idea.... I've tried 2 bring up the idea in FL but ppl aren't really interested in traveling that far anymore. & with each NFL city asiide from gville having a small scene(2-3 ppl). Ain't no point

:phone:

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I thought going to waffle house or ihop was something everyone always did after tournaments? I remember going to waffle house with lots of meleers at least the majority of the tournaments I've ever been to. After Fight Alabama Players everyone went to some pizza buffet.

And I wouldnt say we have the best community, but its pretty good.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
In my Melee days, my crew always went to Waffle House after tournaments. I prefer IHOP, though.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
A year ago I would have preferred Waffle house, but with the rise in price of the double chocolate chip waffle, I now prefer IHOP.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I've warmed up to Waffle House with the advent of hash brown toppings all being a set price (I can get triple mushrooms for the price of what the normal amount once was!), but it still leaves me feeling gross and bloated afterward. IHOP feels much better to me.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to promote MS players to join the competitive melee scene, but the fees are holding them back. $10 door fee seems overpriced

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'm trying to promote MS players to join the competitive melee scene, but the fees are holding them back. $10 door fee seems overpriced
Don't host tournaments at places where you'll have to charge a $10 door fee, then. :/

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Okay, I'm sure many of you are curious as to the status of videos from HASL II. I regret that they aren't up by now, but we have had some complications. People who we counted on to upload aren't doing it for various reasons, so we've had to recruit some new uploaders. Tyler offered to start uploading replays starting today, so be on the lookout. I am sorry for the wait, and I'm working to get this problem fixed for future tournaments.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
SO APPARENTLY...the new director of the church annex that the B'ham tournament was going to be at has henceforth decided that only events related to church ministries can take place outside of the regular operational times.

At first it seemed that the reason to deny me was only because of operational costs and possible theft, and since I work there, I offered to put away anything that could be stolen and set it out again afterwards, as well as pay for the tournament out of pocket. Both were denied again.

TL;DR, B'ham tournament canceled? Either i have to quickly find a new venue this weekend or it will be canceled.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
SO APPARENTLY...the new director of the church annex that the B'ham tournament was going to be at has henceforth decided that only events related to church ministries can take place outside of the regular operational times.

At first it seemed that the reason to deny me was only because of operational costs and possible theft, and since I work there, I offered to put away anything that could be stolen and set it out again afterwards, as well as pay for the tournament out of pocket. Both were denied again.

TL;DR, B'ham tournament canceled? Either i have to quickly find a new venue this weekend or it will be canceled.
Do it quickly, Russ. Your tournament isn't until July, but people will want to know before they sign up for season 2.

No one has reason to panic though; we are honest dealers. If worst comes to worst and the Bham tournament is cancelled, then we will lower the season 2 entry fee to $25 and refund anyone who has already paid by $5. I don't expect this to happen.

Saki-

Reset Project
NNID
iTasya
You'd have to pay the venue fee for the people who'd register for season 2 if you went to playover. 20 Registrees = $200. xD Have fun with that

ragnarock

Smash Lord
Serious question. Lets say at the next tourney we get enough melee players willing to put down 5 bucks for singles can we just do that?

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Serious question. Lets say at the next tourney we get enough melee players willing to put down 5 bucks for singles can we just do that?
Yeah, Wes and I already discussed it (sorry, should have brought you into the discussion but I think you already expressed your opinion). We are charging $5 for Melee Singles this time around.

guapo

Smash Apprentice
i shall come to the 1st one and try to make a few more so i guess ill sign up for the season at the 1st event if its not to late

guapo

Smash Apprentice
as far away as i am ill just do it at the 1st event cause i plan on making 2 of em this season if not 3

Top Bottom