• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Smash League - Season 3 Ready for AAAaaction

B_AWAL

Smash Master
I could be neutral... ill give u my # 2 hit me up and make sure I got it covered.

:sonic:

& ASL is on June 9th @ Which city?

:phone:

*Cam*

Smash Lord
If anyone who is an ASL member does NOT want to be on the TOs Committee, I recommend you say something before tomorrow.

Considering how little discussion there's been about this, I don't think a non-anonymous ballot will cause any salt, and it will just be a whole lot easier to manage.

EDIT: Alright, voting is officially over (everyone just voted on Facebook). Your new TOs Committee consists of the following people:

Reflex
Cam
Spade
Player-1
Ryker
JTMerrel
M3t
Kismet
Slam
Blue

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
I've really been distraught because of my inactivity in the scene due to work, but I've still been practicing everyday. Tomorrow I'll sign up for this season and try to go this tournament. I'll request off tomorrow for June 9th.

I've been itching for some tournament experience. Playing friends gets old after awhile.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Just out of curiosity, how often do you guys have tournaments in the Mobile area?
We just had one in March, and we alternate roughly every 3 weeks between 5 tournaments, so we probably won't have another there until August at least, sorry :(

Of course, nothing is stopping Ryker from hosting one there outside of the ASL circuit.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I would love to attend a tournament in that area. Sadly, everywhere else that would be like a 4-5 hour drive for me is a little too far. :(

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Just come to Mobile and play with us anyway haha. We had 6 people at rag's house tonight
Keep me posted on y'alls plans in Mobile. If my weekends aren't that busy I wouldn't mind driving out there. :)

From what I can tell, June will be a dead month for me, so I'll be looking for places to go and people to see.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
If you are willing to travel and want to go the hard way, we can get people where they want to go without having them drive all the way, but yeah, I'll keep you posted.

As of right now, I'm working on weekly meet-ups. I've got a venue at a local college bar. It's definitely a bar, but it's privately owned and right by the University. It's not a typical atmosphere you'd expect. Like, I'd be willing to bring my little sister to this place for pizza. Food's good, there's internet, and they said we can set up our TVs there.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
If you are willing to travel and want to go the hard way, we can get people where they want to go without having them drive all the way, but yeah, I'll keep you posted.

As of right now, I'm working on weekly meet-ups. I've got a venue at a local college bar. It's definitely a bar, but it's privately owned and right by the University. It's not a typical atmosphere you'd expect. Like, I'd be willing to bring my little sister to this place for pizza. Food's good, there's internet, and they said we can set up our TVs there.
Sounds like a sweet set-up. Is it in the Mobile area?

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. We are voting on right now whether or not to get rid of the membership bundle for ASL AFTER season 2 ends (you know, the pay $30 and get 6 tournaments thing) and instead return to normal entry fees. Never fear though, no matter what happens with that, we already decided that ASL should not disband. We had a long meeting last night and decided that the smash league has done and can do a lot more good than just funding tournaments. We have other projects in the works as we speak, so this isn't the end. In fact, expect some new things from us in the near future.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
Me, but I live in Mississippi at the moment. Mobile isn't too out of the way. Rag and Ryker both live there and we have a couple other dudes that we play with that are pretty good. That's about it as far as I know

*Cam*

Smash Lord
We just wrapped up the voting yesterday, and we voted to return to normal entry fees. That means we are no longer offering the membership bundle after season 2.

Truth be told, we can't really afford it anymore. We developed a budget this season that only required 40 members (roughly 2/3 of what we got first season), but haven't reached that goal. We suffered a financial loss this season in the hundreds of dollars, and it's coming out of my pocket. Even though we will always try to grow the community, we don't mind having a smaller group of people like this, but the membership bundle won't pay for itself without more players. We've been so busy running around trying to get more signups that we haven't been able to focus on other potential projects. Therefore, the TOs committee has decided that it's best if we end the group deal after season 2 ends (it ends after the 3rd Smiths Station tournament on July 28). It will be up to the individual TOs to decide entry fees, and I suspect they will be quite standard.

The Alabama Smash League will still exist, and as I said, we have other projects we can now focus on. I'm not sure I should reveal all the details of those projects just yet, but we will fill you all in soon. We still believe, despite the financial incentive now gone, we still believe that the ASL has a tremendously positive influence in the smash community in AL. I think whenever we have all the TOs in the state and a few TOs from other states planning together, it's never a bad thing.

In the coming weeks, we may have to rethink what it means to be part of the ASL, but rest assured, we still plan to have the website going, still plan to have tournaments scheduled far in advance, still plan to record videos at every tournament, still plan to organize carpools to out of state tournaments, and still plan to fuel the scene with as much hype as possible.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I posted in the thread asking for housing. We don't need a megabus, but we do need a place to stay the night of the tournament.
I will ask around and see if I can hook you guys up with some housing. Sadly, I'm unable to house anyone but I'm sure I know someone who will. I will keep you guys posted.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Alright guys. I need a head count for those of you who are coming to Smashcon. Erick (the guy who runs smashcon), just texted me saying he could house people. He said he can house up to 10 people. So please let me know asap, preferably tonight, so I can tell him.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
We will take you up on that. Let me get a head count this week.
ok, do it as soon as possible because Texas, or another state, may beat you to it. I posted in the tourny thread about the housing, how it is first come first serve, etc.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
We usually get a small handful of guys from Mobile, and there are a few people in Columbus who plan on coming.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Speaking of the few and the proud from Mobile, I will almost certainly be there even if my crew bails. I play both games, but I love me some melee and I will need to get my fix.

Where are you from, man? Also, have I seen you at any other events?

:phone:

MLEsis

Smash Journeyman
Sup Alabama.

AWA's Sept 28-30th...my bros and I will be staying in Atlanta, s'go.

I think it'll be the best AWA yet. And yes, there will be some serious cosplaying at work. Cheap Peach, I think you'd make a really good Ez ;)

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I'll be going to AWA. I have a free pass from last year for winning the Brawl event.

Top Bottom