• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Alabama Smash League - Season 3 Ready for AAAaaction

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Georgia doesn't go to Mobile because it's too far.

Most people don't go to Mobile because it's too far.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I think there are some good points and some silly points being raised here.

First of all, Mobile is much farther than other tournaments from most smashers, and that certainly has hampered attendance. Another thing that has hampered attendance is the scheduling problem that Ryker brought up. When multiple tournaments occur all within a few weeks, people choose the tournament(s) that are most convenient for them. Mobile is not convenient for most people.

Reflex raised a good point to me earlier, which is, does a tournament with 10 entrants justify $220 in payouts and $100 in venue costs? Honestly, it does represent a poor investment on our part. The idea, the hope, was to raise interest from more local players at the very least. Resist 4 had 10 entrants, 2 of which were local Mobile players. Resist 5 also had 10, 3 of which were Mobile. To compare, HASL II had ~15 locals and AUSOM IV had 10 (not counting the Torres brothers). Iron Brawl 3 had only 3, but at least the one from season 1 had 8, and that was with Ingulit in the hospital. HASL II costed $100 less to run and it drew in 4 times the attendance. Frankly, I think the money used for Resist could be put to better use (perhaps to help the farthest driving players with gas money?).

However, I think it is silly to suggest that 1 tournament out of 6 would curb interest to such a great degree. $30 is good even if you only go to 2 or 3 tournaments, and 1 tournament isn't going to spoil 5 others. I also think it is silly to suggest that set payouts are hurting Resist. Most people aren't coming with any expectation to win anyway, so lower payouts aren't hampering their attendance. The entry fee for non-ASL was standard, and the venue fee was only $5.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
I am not opposed to lowering pay-outs. That's more than fair unless the numbers start increasing. I am opposed to lowering support for Resist which would make it next to impossible to gain any attendance from Northern AL because of the fact that it would put us in direct competition with ASL which is an obscenely good deal. Suggesting we host tournaments on our own is suggesting we forfeit any sort of upstate support for the foreseeable. future.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
a carpool of North FL is coming to Tuscaloosa this weekend. Most of us had to choose between it and Resistance. Only Zone was able to attend.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
My compromise would be that we set some objective standard for tournaments in the ASL. 10 entrants is not good return for the money we put into it, no matter how you spin it. Perhaps ASL tournaments in the future should have to maintain 20+ entrants. Every other series in the state has managed to do that, so why can't Resist? If Resist did get knocked out for Season 3, then it would at least give it a chance to rejoin for Season 4.

I hate to say this, but paying $220 to accommodate 3 locals (mind you, that money is for Brawl payouts) is a terrible waste of money and could be put to better use. The other option, as Ryker said, is to cut payouts across the board for Season 3. If we do that, I'm not sure where we would stop though. In all fairness, larger payouts also means spending more money to benefit a few people, and I think it should be treated with the same skepticism as accommodating the Mobile crew.

Anyway, I'm not saying cutting Resist from the ASL is the only option. There are plenty of options, but each of them will be painful to someone. I would still come and have a crew with me regardless of Resist's affiliation with the smash league.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I feel like the most important things to consider are our finances and reliable numbers. Finances are easy to work around (lowered payouts, go with less expensive venues, etc.), but, we must remember that a large part of the ASL's goal is to collectively build up interest and motivation in the game. While locals help with general funding and are nice to have, if they don't plan on playing any more often than when there's a tournament in town, they don't contribute to that goal. We're not just doing this setup to be nice/convenient; we want to see our community of regulars grow and flourish, and I don't expect people from Louisiana or Florida to join that.

Changing up the list of potential venues could greatly benefit what regulars we see. With a hypothetical "two in Huntsville, two in Auburn, two in Tuscaloosa," we would probably see more people showing up to at least four. Limiting the spots would make it much easier for people to decide whether or not they feel like they would go to enough tournaments to make it worth it, as for most people, at least one of those tournaments is relatively convenient, and so they're getting their money's worth at the absolute worst, and so it would be easier for players to make the decision to spend $30 on a season of ASL membership.

It's really a shame that we can't appear to get a reliable, inexpensive venue in Montgomery or Birmingham; I think that it is difficult to draw lines to minimize distance stuff without having them at our disposal.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
My compromise would be that we set some objective standard for tournaments in the ASL. 10 entrants is not good return for the money we put into it, no matter how you spin it. Perhaps ASL tournaments in the future should have to maintain 20+ entrants. Every other series in the state has managed to do that, so why can't Resist? If Resist did get knocked out for Season 3, then it would at least give it a chance to rejoin for Season 4.

I hate to say this, but paying $220 to accommodate 3 locals (mind you, that money is for Brawl payouts) is a terrible waste of money and could be put to better use. The other option, as Ryker said, is to cut payouts across the board for Season 3. If we do that, I'm not sure where we would stop though. In all fairness, larger payouts also means spending more money to benefit a few people, and I think it should be treated with the same skepticism as accommodating the Mobile crew.

Anyway, I'm not saying cutting Resist from the ASL is the only option. There are plenty of options, but each of them will be painful to someone. I would still come and have a crew with me regardless of Resist's affiliation with the smash league.
I meant Pay-outs in Mobile as I thought that was what you were implying.

Roboturner

Smash Journeyman
So I need to sign up for this new season even though I only went to two tournaments last season? Shouldn't that carry over?

Also, I'm going to try to make the next tourney if work allows me to. A car load of people will come

*Cam*

Smash Lord
So I need to sign up for this new season even though I only went to two tournaments last season? Shouldn't that carry over?

Also, I'm going to try to make the next tourney if work allows me to. A car load of people will come
No, season 1 membership was for season 1. It paid for the 5 tournaments we hosted between October and January. You did get 5 tournaments for your money, but you chose to only attend 2 of them :ohwell: If we did what you are suggesting, then we would never be able to pay for anything.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
I feel like the most important things to consider are our finances and reliable numbers. Finances are easy to work around (lowered payouts, go with less expensive venues, etc.), but, we must remember that a large part of the ASL's goal is to collectively build up interest and motivation in the game. While locals help with general funding and are nice to have, if they don't plan on playing any more often than when there's a tournament in town, they don't contribute to that goal.
I disagree, fully static locals, ones that don't even consider travelling, still provide good entry level competition for new travelling players. It's hard to measure progress without benchmarks like that. When I travelled to my first tournament, I was able to beat some of the locals attending it, but lost to a good local. It provided both recognition of progress and a place I could improve.

At Resist, the newest travelling players were Tyler and Blue. They're the sort of person you want to grow the size of the community. They didn't get any benchmarks whatsoever, there weren't any static locals or many players period. The closest people to their level was eachother (they didn't get to play eachother because that's how pools work.. but not how Swiss works COUGH) and then me. I'm not amazing and am still trying to learn legal characters, but that seems pretty rough.

After a long drive for only that, I would expect them to be less likely to become regulars, rather than more likely. A tournament like HASL or AUSOM has more people at all levels of skill, and enough players for an amateur bracket. It's a much better experience.

I don't see putting Resist in the ASL bundle as something that makes financial sense, nor a way to foster interest in the game.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I talked to some key people in charge of AUSOM V, and we decided to try out Swiss rounds instead of pools at this tournament.

Swiss is used in a lot of other competitive scenes like Chess or MTG. It is supposed to produce more accurate seeding for the tournament, and it should only take slightly longer than pools.

For those that don't know how Swiss works, you take however many people you have at the tournament, and you order them to the best of your ability based on skill level. It doesn't have to be perfect, as the Swiss bracket should work out most of the imperfections.

This is easier to explain if I use exact numbers, so let me do that. Let's say we have a tournament of 40 players. We would take #1 and pit him against the top of the bottom half, so in this case against #21. #2 faces #22, #3 vs #23, etc. This is the first round of Swiss, and there will be 4 rounds, maybe 5 (the number of rounds only makes the seeding more accurate, not less).

After the first round, we take the people who won their first sets and the people who lost their first sets, and divide them into two groups. Within those groups, we do the same thing we did during round 1. If we have a group that contains #1-#20, then we would have #1 face #11, #2 face #12, and so on. The same thing goes for the other group. We keep dividing up the groups by set counts until we have run 4 rounds. The ideal result is that in the last round people are fighting those closer to their skill levels.

Eventually, people are divided up into groups based on those set counts, and that's how we seed. In a 4 round Swiss, we would have a 4-0 group, a 3-1 group, a 2-2 group, a 1-3 group, and a 0-4 group.

As a side-note, we would adjust the bracket so that two people don't play each other twice within the four rounds.

If anyone has any questions, let me know, although Alexander Hayden might be able to answer them better than me.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
More accurate results are gained at the price of very similar pools matches from tournament to tournament.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
I want to give you guys a heads up. I'm sure very few people have actually read the ASL constitution, but elections for the TOs Committee are coming up in May. The TOs committee is a group of ten active members from the community that make all the decisions for the league. For example, when we decided on a budget, the TOs Committee discussed and voted on it. When we scheduled our tournaments, it required the approval of the Committee.

Any active member of ASL can run for it; you don't have to be from Alabama. Active ASL members will ultimately vote on the Committee members next month too.

Once the new committee is formed, they will be brought up to speed, and in June, they will elect the Preident, Vice President, and Treasurer for the next year from among their ranks. All three of these people still maintain votes in the Committee, but they take on extra responsibilities too.

Overall, a TO in the Committee votes on things and actively helps ASL function. They come to tournaments and become helpers to whoever is the head TO for that event. They discuss expenditures, advertising ideas, and all sorts of other things. If you are an active member of the community and want to help and get a say in how Alabama Smash League is operated, I encourage you to run.

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Hello. Alabama. I didn't know there was a big smash scene out there. I know I know. My status says i'm in Tennesse (Via the Army) which I am. Once a month I normally come down to Alabama (Selma 50 miles shy of montgomery) to visit my family. I'm planning on being down in Selma Next weekend and Your not that far from me where you're hosting the tournament. Now according to your status, You don't have to be registered or w/e. So i'm considereding to go to AUSOM. I'm curious to see how Alabama plays. What would be the needed steps to actually sign up?

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Hi Demonic Dragon. If your schedule will allow you to attend several ASL events (listed in the opening post), you can sign up to become a member of ASL at the Alabama Smash League web site through paypal, or just by bringing 30$ cash to AUSOM.

If you won't be able to do so, then you can pay 10-15$ at the door to attend just AUSOM. Pre-registration isn't mandatory, but it's nice to give a heads up about whether you'll be able to make it or not.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Exciting news, so please read!

The TOs and I racked our brains for like 2 weeks about how to encourage more signups, and now we have a really good incentive.

The basic idea is a drawing, but it's probably not what you expect. From this point forward, each person that signs up and says you referred them will get your name put in the drawing again. So if you get 5 people to sign up, your name will be in the drawing 5 times.

There are two tiers of prizes. Whoever gets the most signups will automatically get a second tier prize and still have a shot at the first tier. So, then we draw for the grand prize and for another second tier prize. We decided to give the winners some options after they win.

Grand prize options:
1) $100 sponsorship to a large tournament (meaning ASL will pay up to $100 for your food, gas, entry fees to a large out of state tournament that GA/AL will be going to. Reflex is still working out which tournament with the GA people, but we will definitely let you know which).
2) A Wii console
3) A DS Lite

Second tier options (giving one to the "most signups person" does not mean we can't give the same to another winner):
1) Free Season 3 Membership
2) A Play Asia Gamecube controller or a Classic Controller Pro
3) 3000 Wii Points
4) An ASL t-shirt and a custom made t-shirt

AUSOM is this coming Saturday, so get your friends to sign up there.

EDIT: I have to correct something Pops said. He was completely right except that we don't use paypal anymore. You would just have to sign up at the event. I hope to see you there!

Dinowulf

Smash Journeyman
Hi Demonic Dragon. If your schedule will allow you to attend several ASL events (listed in the opening post), you can sign up to become a member of ASL at the Alabama Smash League web site through paypal, or just by bringing 30$ cash to AUSOM.

If you won't be able to do so, then you can pay 10-15$ at the door to attend just AUSOM. Pre-registration isn't mandatory, but it's nice to give a heads up about whether you'll be able to make it or not.
Sounds good. I'll let you know by Wedesday.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Not incredibly often, but we do host them. We do travel often, so you can group up with us if you're interested in making it to others.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
Saint is SO slow. When are you gonna stop making money and start blowing it on video games?
I usually don't like taking your money at tournaments, Ryker, that's why I don't like going. d;

In all seriousness, I might get a new job after this summer. I'm going to wait until the summer is out, then find a day job instead of a restaurant job.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Alabama smashers,

It’s May now, and as promised, we will have elections for a new TOs Committee. However, before we get into that, I think it’s only fair to keep you up-to-date.

We haven’t been getting nearly as many signups as we expected. The last two tournaments got 1 new signup each, which is sad to be honest. Season 2 payouts have already been guaranteed by me, and I will keep that promise, even if it costs me $500. However, I will NOT be covering any losses that Season 3 has, if we decide to have it at all.

I love the dream that the Alabama Smash League stood for. I love the idea of a well-organized scene with lots of independent TOs flying under one banner for one cause. I love making the tournaments cheaper for our regulars. But I can’t keep pushing for a structure that obviously doesn’t work. Season 1 got 60 signups. Season 2 hasn’t gotten even half of that. Every time we pushed for more signups, even coming up with some financial incentives, we didn’t get any responses.

I don’t want the Alabama Smash League to die, but I’m not putting my wallet on the line again. I think it’s only fair you know that. I think it’s only fair you know that the new officers you elect could very quickly turn around and vote to disband the League.

If ASL does end, it won’t be the end of Alabama smash. Reflex and I have talked about this, and we have a backup plan. If ASL dies, then we are going to co-host a monthly at Smiths Station that would be similar to Waba. We’d still record all the bracket matches, but entry fees would be standard.

I would appreciate some responses because we haven’t been getting enough feedback from the community in general.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This stuff has been a struggle in a lot of ways. People are flaky, both in terms of signups and in terms of cooperation for the stuff we do. In order for this to work, we need to have a sustainable business model. This circuit set-up costs next to nothing to go to money-wise, and people are still on the fence about it.

Is it because money isn't the issue? Doing normal entry fees would definitely take care of our costs, no problem; that's why that's the standard in most places. Our system is designed to make it more accessible for people, but we haven't seen much of a jump in activity. That bothers me.

Does the ASL circuit system motivate you to go to more tournaments? By how much (if at all), and, why/why not? What changes would attract you as a player?

ProtomanVX

Smash Ace
Well, in all honestly, I would have joined the ASL a long time ago. However, my wife doesn't exactly approve of me traveling to play a video game, so that makes it a little difficult to get to Alabama from Middle Tennessee. It's not so much the cost, but the travel that hits it for me. =/

EDIT: I'll be moving to Pensacola, Florida here in a couple weeks. Maybe I can join up once I make the move.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Does the ASL circuit system motivate you to go to more tournaments? By how much (if at all), and, why/why not? What changes would attract you as a player?
The ASL Circuit makes it MUCH easier for me to get the money up to go to tournaments. I'm not going to be able to go to near as much dependent on prices. Most of the time, I get home with no money left after skipping lunch.

Keys1281

Smash Journeyman
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. I just spent like 30 minutes coming up with a response to this and smashboards signs me out. (PS how do I fix that garbage???) Not about to type it all over again.

TL;DR-ish version:

ASL definitely motivates me to going to more tournaments. Tournaments in the past (and other tournaments outside of AL) have always been a little pricey in the long run. $10-20 for gas, $5-10 for venue, $10 for singles, $10 for doubles, and/or anywhere between $5-25 for food. People usually spend AT LEAST $20-30 for one tournament. How could it hurt to go ahead and sign up for ASL? Last season we had free food and drinks (to some extent). If we could get a bunch more signups, it's very possible we could do that again if I'm not mistaken. So the only part of a tournament ASL wouldn't cover would be gas.

Which brings up my next point. The 2x2x2 (c what I did there??) idea is great, IMO. It could save lots of gas money, give us more signups (explained in a sec), and be overall more affordable and convenient, especially if we can have the same 3 venues. No offense to Ryker, Rag, and others in S AL or FL, but I really think a lot of people go..."Hm....tournaments in Auburn, Tuscaloosa, Huntsville....pretty close/not too long of a drive WTF mobile? That's too far for me." For me, I would be glad to keep attending resist even if it's not part of the ASL circuit.

As far as other changes/helping the ASL gain momentum, I really like the idea of advertising T-shirts/other merchandise at our tournaments (and/or out of state??), and if we can actually make a profit, I would LOVE to come up with some cool designs for ASL shirts. Also, OoS players could buy this just to support the ASL. It may also be incentive for people to actually sign up. (Unfortunately I do not have the means to actually create the shirts, but I'm sure SOMEONE could do that...right?) Here's something I made the other day just to give you all a taste of my creativity:

In all, I think there are many ideas we could implement into ASL to improve its legitimacy/momentum/awesomeness, and I would like to help with the continuation of ASL as a whole.

So much for a TL;DR.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
The 2 2 2 idea won't be viable unless we get enough signups to pay for this season. I want to reiterate that I am not financially insuring ASL for season 3, and I'm also not running for President again. I'll join the TOs committee, and I'll help out, but I do not feel inclined to give a large chunk of my college savings to Luis.

I have no problem with anything you suggested, Ben (Spade). I think it would help advertising a lot if more people put Alabama Smash League in their signatures somehow like I noticed you have (thanks). I am willing to do T-shirts, but they won't be much of a money-raiser. It costs us like $7 just to make one.

*Cam*

Smash Lord
Double posting for a news update.

We will hold elections between May 15 and May 17 for the TOs Committee. There are ten people on said committee, so you need to vote for ten people in order with the person you want the most as #1 and so on and so forth. We can work out a system where this is anonymous, but I think that's unnecessary.

The vote ends at midnight on May 17. Don't start voting until May 15 or it won't count. You will post your votes on this thread or on the Facebook group. Voting in both doesn't mean that your votes count twice. You have to be an AL Smash League member in order to vote. If you were a member for season 1, then that still counts and you can vote.

On May 18, we will average the lists together and have our 10 committee members. I will then bring the committee members up to speed and make the transition. Then, in June, they will elect the president, vp, and treasurer from their ranks.

If you want to be part of the committee and want people to vote for you, then I would make your intentions known in the next couple of days. Slam expressed interest already, and I known Reflex and I are both still interested.

EDIT: You don't have to be from AL to be on this committee.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Anonymous ballot, while maybe unnecessary, will stop possible salt and there's no reason not to institute one.

Top Bottom