• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Air Grab Releasing - Because I'm Lazy (Information Given)

gm jack

Smash Lord
Can someone explain how half of these characters can ever be forced into an air release? I was under the impression that larger characters could force smaller characters to air release, and that was it. Hence, follow ups on larger characters are not guaranteed.

Phiddlesticks

Smash Lord
Bowser can air release Wario into an upair. He can also air release MK into a Bowser Bomb. HotGarbage tested both of these in frame by frame and they should both work.

Bowser might be able to air release a few other characters into a Bowser Bomb. I didn't ask HotGarbage to test anyone other than MK, but it's probably worth testing on characters with crappy air releases (or maybe just characters Bowser can air release chaingrab). Whatever

Player-3

Smash Hero
Falcon can grab release Jigglypuff into an up air or up b.
No, he cannot release into an upair.

MAYBE an UpB, but i highly highly highly highly doubt it

falcon CAN air release CG squirtle

falcon can get a uair on ivy out of air release release

falcon can uair/bair/sweetspotted fair/dair/utilt wario out of an air release

Kirk

Smash Champion
That data I took was from months ago, but it is still fairly accurate. I would just like to clarify a few things(and sorry if it was already mentioned).

For air releases, the default time characters are unable to do anything for is 50 frames. The 51 I have listed for most characters is the frame where they can first act(i.e. the first frame you see the jump animation or the first frame you see the shield). So it may be better to just put them as 50, since its the actual time that characters cannot act.

The default value of 50 is true for ALL characters. The exceptions occur when there is something obstructing a character's trajectory(i.e. the ground). If you release every character off the side of a stage, they will always be unable to act for 50 frames. Always. Some characters have different trajectories or different weights(unsure of the EXACT reason) that causes them to have different values with ground underneath them. This is explained below.

For characters who have different values than the default, this is for a few reasons. Some characters(such as Ganon, Squirtle, Bowser, etc.) land on the ground just before they can do anything(not exact number, but around frame 49 or 50 generally). This adds landing lag to their total frame count, thus making the number greater than the default 50.

Characters who have values less than the default land on the ground much sooner due to their release trajectory. Landing on the ground essentially cancels the rest of the grab release animation, and they can act as soon as their landing lag is through. Cfalcon, Fox, Falco, Wolf, etc. fall in this category.

It should also be noted, when characters being air released land anywhere on a surface in the middle of their release animation(i.e. releasing from a sloped surface, or releasing from the bottom of Battlefield onto one of the platforms above), the character's animation will be canceled immediately, right after the standard landing lag frames(hard or soft landing).

[Soft Landing] refers to characters landing on the ground 'softly,' or from a short distance from the ground. This generally lasts 2 frames. [Hard Landing] referes to characters landing 'hard,' from higher up or fast falling into the ground. This is generally 4 frames of lag.

As for distances, I did not document these in my testing. I do remember their general trajectories, and I'll try my best to describe them, putting them into categories.

Note: "standard" is used to describe an arc that is most similar between those characters. For this I used characters who's trajectories which end right at ground level.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Releases in a standard arc, can act just before touching the ground:
:charizard: :dedede: :diddy: :dk2: :ike: :link2: :lucas: :metaknight: :pikachu2: :snake: :zerosuitsamus:

Releases in a standard arc, landing on the ground:
:bowser2: :falcon: :ganondorf: :squirtle:

Releases in a higher arc, can act higher above the ground:
:gw: :popo: :ivysaur: :kirby2: :lucario: :luigi2: :mario2: :marth: :ness2: :olimar: :peach: :pit: :rob: :samus2: :sonic: :toonlink: :yoshi2: :zelda:

Releases in a smaller arc, landing earlier than normal:
:falco: :shiek: :wolf:

Releases in a very small arc, landing much earlier than normal:
:fox:

Releases straight upwards, can act high above the ground:
:jigglypuff:

Releases like Wario:
:wario:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So yeah, hope that explains some stuff some more...if it even needed explaining. :o

EDIT: Just a few more things:

It is also important to note that the character performing the grab release(i.e. the person who grabbed), is unable to act for 29 frames, and is first able to act ON frame 30. This gives that characters ~20 frames to follow up. The only exception to this rule is BOOZER, who can act 10 frames quicker than the rest of the cast, giving him a 30 frame advantage over his opponents being air released.

Default releases(whether the character gets ground or air released when not being pummeled), to my knowledge, are only affected by if the character being grabbed is touching the ground with any part of their body or not. If they are completely suspended in air, they will get air released, as long as they are not being pummeled. If any part of them is touching the ground, they can only get air released if they do it themselves(holding up, inputting a jump, or just general mashing).

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Ganon's down-special isn't guaranteed on Metaknight. Metaknight could up-air just when the wizard foot makes contact, out-prioritizing it.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I'm pretty that if Ganon has his side-special guaranteed on Squirtle, Falcon has guaranteed dash re-grabs.

Rickerdy-doo-da-day

Smash Master
Toot Toot thrills in Green Hills (England, UK)
NNID
RicardoAvocado
I like how there is little to see until you get to Wario's list which is massive lol

Hopefully this should help for Peach :peach:

:mario2: Mario
- Can force Jump Release

:luigi2: Luigi
- Can force Jump Release

:peach: Peach
- N/A

:bowser2: Bowser
- N/A

:dk2: Donkey Kong
- N/A

:diddy: Diddy Kong
- N/A

:yoshi2: Yoshi
- Can force Jump Release

:wario: Wario
- Can force Jump Release
- Upon Jump Release, Peach can follow up guaranteed (when performed correctly) with: Hyphen Up Smash, Footstool, Double hit Nair, Double hit Bair, Uair, Up Tilt, F Tilt
- If Wario loses his 2nd jump and is grabbed, Peach can infinite Jump Release and regrab him

:link2: Link
- N/A

:zelda: Zelda
- N/A

:shiek: Sheik
- N/A

:ganondorf: Ganondorf
- N/A

:toonlink: Toon Link
- Can force Jump Release

:samus2: Samus
- N/A

:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus
- N/A

:pit: Pit
- N/A

:popo: Ice Climbers

- Can force Jump Release

:rob: R.O.B
- N/A

:kirby2: Kirby
- Can force Jump Release

:metaknight: Meta Knight
- Can force Jump Release

:dedede: King DeDeDe
- N/A

:olimar: Olimar
- Can force Jump Release

:fox: Fox
- N/A

:falco: Falco
- N/A

:wolf: Wolf
- N/A

:falcon: Captain Falcon
- N/A

:pikachu2: Pikachu
- Can force Jump Release

:squirtle: Squirtle
- Can force Jump Release
- Upon Jump Release, Peach can follow up guaranteed (when performed correctly) with: Two hit Dash Attack, Dash regrab

:ivysaur: Ivysaur
- Can force Jump Release

:charizard: Charizard
-N/A

:lucario: Lucario
- N/A

:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff
- Can force Jump Release

:marth: Marth
- N/A

:ike: Ike
- N/A

:ness2: Ness
- Can force Jump Release
- Upon Ground Release, Peach can follow up guaranteed (when performed correctly) with: Jab, F Tilt, Dash attack, Dash regrab
- Upon Jump Release, Peach can follow up guaranteed (when performed correctly) with: Fair

:lucas: Lucas
- Can force Jump Release
- Upon Ground Release, Peach can follow up guaranteed (when performed correctly) with: Jab, F Tilt, Dash Attack, Dash regrab

:gw: Mr. Game & Watch
- Can force Jump Release

:snake: Snake
- N/A

:sonic: Sonic
- N/A
I am fairly certain all of this is correct. Certainly Up Smashing Wario and Fairing Ness as that has been tested, as has the stuff that can be done to Squirtle

Kirk

Smash Champion
Kirk, I love you. Is the trajectory the same for the people you listed or is it different for everyone? (EG: If it works on 1 person from that group, should it work on the rest?)
Every character has a different trajectory. I merely put them in groups to get a general idea of their respective trajectories.

I don't know for every character, but for example, Ike can followup with a dash attack on every character that is in the 'standard arc' group, but he can't do anything to the characters who are in the 'higher arc' group. They can be considered similar in this manner, but again, it is just a general grouping, and by no means have the exact same properties with each other.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Jigglypuff jumps almost the same distance horizontally as Wario, but much higher. Another similarity of Wario wth Jigglypuff. I think Jigglypuff is highly susceptible to grab release combos, except regrabs.

GameSystem

Smash Journeyman
I don't know if it was posted already but in Genesis GF I saw Ally grab release M2K onto a mine on the frigate platform. Maybe it works on other stages like battlefield. It might work if you plant C4 on a platform too.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
Peach has a guaranteed release on Squirtle. Grab--> air release --> Dash attack.

It exists, but its better just to throw...

I'm too lazy to get frame data.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
DK shiz

the only people that force air releases on him are yoshi and snake
yoshi can regrab and snake can't do **** unless an explosion happens to go off

the rest will be ground broken and punished (except bowser, who still can't do anything)

dk can do to wario
step - dsmash
running usmash
fsmash
punch
utilt
probably some other stuff not worth doing

on squirtle he can release - dash shield regrab

on smashvilles platform he can grab release punch most of the cast

thrillagorilla

Smash Ace
The other stuff that Bigfoot didn't mention that DK can do to Wario (he's right about the usefulness though)...

up angled f-tilt
side-b
bair

with running and jumping

nair
dair (timing is absurdly strict to the point of not being worth it, and buffering needs to be perfect)
u-air

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
In flat plataforms Snake can release people who can't avoid touching the ground like Fox or Falco into mines.

Meru.

I like spicy food
NNID
Merudi
3DS FC
0963-1622-2801
I don't know if this has been posted already, but here is Peach's stuff, as far as I know.

:squirtle:
Grab release > Dash attack.

:ness:
Grab > Pummel > Grab > Pummel > Grab > Pummel ... > Grab release > Fair

:wario:
Grab release > Usmash

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Zamus can truelly infinite grab release chain grab Squirtle. ZSS can't infinite Wario, he can escape with Bike.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Gah, this was bumped.

Anyway Susa "babycakes" if I can call you that, why is some of this junk that's in the OP on Sonic questionable?

For one, I know Sonic is taller than MK, and he still can't force MK to air-release, so how da @#$% does MK does some of this shizz that are highlighted?

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
...Yes, that's correct, but how?

Again, I'm telling you, MK cannot force Sonic to air-release, and I thought all this stuff in this thread is suppose to be 100% guaranteed (sure, it ain't (going to be) perfect, and it was bumped, so I can understand that), but unless I see that fixed or there's a disclaimer somewhere, how?

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
...Yes, that's correct, but how?

Again, I'm telling you, MK cannot force Sonic to air-release, and I thought all this stuff in this thread is suppose to be 100% guaranteed (sure, it ain't (going to be) perfect, and it was bumped, so I can understand that), but unless I see that fixed or there's a disclaimer somewhere, how?
It is pretty messed up......
There is some stuff that can be done that is not listed and some stuff that is listed that can be done but the foe is not forced to air release.

Top Bottom