• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Active Player Thread: Ones who does not have Triforce can't go in

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Didn't NEO just move this year? And hasnt Chu quit? Somehow I doubt that if they met that NEO would be playing against Chu with Sheik anyway.

But if I am wrong, I am wrong.

:phone:

I was just asking because that's the only notable Kirby in MD/VA, and i figured if he was saying a Mu was easy that he'd have some exp in the match vs a top level player. etc

Also Blue Pikmin grab has a longer range than chain, he can also throw a yellow wait for u to kill ti with chain then while you're chain is falling he can throw a purple that u wont be able to hit with your chain.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah he'd usually hit me with a purple preemptively to stop the SH chain from popping out, but whenever he tried to grab most of the pikmin died before they could get in :p

The yellows I watched out for in particular, I really want to show a video of this happening, I never thought I could use chain this effectively until this tournament o_O

On the converse, my air release -> DACUS was not doing so well, and that among other things made me decide against using Sheik against MK.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Oh haha, maybe it was because I'd kill the blues from other encounters, but yeah, I think Chain is situationally useful against Olimar, it's just odd how it stops even purple stuff if you hit it right.

Oh yeah, and when he did get a grab, I'd often break out before it reached, which is good because Olimar does some really stupid stuff to Sheik when he gets a grab. Can he really CG sheik at low percents with dthrow? I tried DIing and all that, but nothing seemed to work.

yeah i agree that chain can be useful in the MU... i think it can be useful in every matchup. I'm starting to use it more vs grounded MKs.

Getting grabbed by olimar at 0 sucks. I've played 3 different olimars... and they all had different ways to bring me form 0-40 without me being able to do a thing.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
There's definitely a couple of MUs I don't like it in though, namely snake when he's on the ground, he just gets a free ftilt pretty much afterwards :\

Yeah, against MK it has some nice uses, I can't believe how effective it is to stop MK's tornado from that video Edu had. They usually have to back off or go for a grab afterwards if they can read the retracting of the chain, but it's otherwise pretty nice. Plus most people don't have a lot of knowledge about playing against chain.

@Kilik: I might get some matches against Olimar again, but I don't think any of my matches this weekend were saved :(

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
try giving the chain a try in more match ups like a long range long start up poke, ala D3's ftilt.

it isn't terrible most characters can't punish it spaced well because... you know you can keep the hit box there.

Judo777

Smash Master
Chain is extremely useful in the Oli MU IMO its one of the few MU's that is greatly effected by it. Chain at ledge can be a free 60% if you space it right. Olimar has no options if he is on the ledge and you space a SH chain against it.

Also you should be able to stuff a yellow toss and block a purple right after. The chain moves way faster than a purple toss would. also taking a hit of yellow wouldn't be that bad.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Haha, in doubles we played a more random team in bracket of Kiby + Yoshi, and on the last stock I was Sheik and took 'em both out (I used Lucario the first round and we did really **** stuff lol), I'll be honest though Kirby seems much more obnoxious than Yoshi for Sheik imo, Kirby's juggling is pretty annoying to deal with as well as that bair, lots of needles and zoning are needed.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
No vids, almost no Wiis in Oregon have infinite replay hacks (except mine and the Smash Twin's) and the one person w/ a capture device wasn't at the tournament :(.

Plus I'm bad lulz (but that'll change very soon, hehehe)

Moonshine

Smash Cadet
Didn't NEO just move this year? And hasnt Chu quit? Somehow I doubt that if they met that NEO would be playing against Chu with Sheik anyway.

But if I am wrong, I am wrong.

:phone:
The Sheik-Kirby matchup is so bad that it almost seems like its harder to hit Kirby just because of Sheik's skinniness, and then Kirby comes with these fat bairing feet.

Judo777

Smash Master
Tutu I'm just talking about flailing the chain in a circle motion as quick a possible. Like the circular sweep will hit anything on you as well as knock the purple out. I don't think olimar can stop it with pikmin toss cause its too slow.

sheikamaru

jive
I'm taking on denti and zori and all the olimars with this in mind! And when he runs outta pikmin he's vulnerable to a dash attack!!

Hooklinedsinker!

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Yeah the best place to do it is near the ledge far away enough so that they can't roll behind you or shark you from underneath with uair, but close enough to nick jump and other getup options, that makes it so that they can't even grab you unless you mess up, which is very nice

and yes, improvement *****, haha. What I like about this character is unlike Lucario where I felt like I was limited to a few options (very solid ones, but still fairly predictable, especially when I am forced to approach), Sheik has so much she can do, and she forces me to not go on autopilot, because one mistake gets me juggled for like 30% or the like, so I become much more conscientious about my game (and her tools allow for some really fun and creative options). Sheik is just awesome that way :)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
ok phi1ny3

i was able to watch ur vid

u pretty much play the matchup right vs marth, with a lot of running around and shielding. i'd just say punish harder since u can't really guarantee combos with marth. use dsmash and usmash to punish if u can't think of anything else. these at least give u time to charge needles whereas a throw may put u at a positional disadvantage but if marth can return to neutral position, the throw wasn't really worth it. also, when ur edge guarding its really good to just use timed edgehogs vs marth. also, there were a lot of times i noticed u were hogging with the chain, and u could've quickly reacted to what he did by retracting. u can ledge drop really fast after chain retract, then jump bair or something.

but yeah, u pretty much play the matchup right, it's just in those moments you can choose options that do much more damage or put u at a better positional advantage. also don't be afraid to just stay away and charge needles.

Izaw

Smash Ace
wooho! placed second place as sheik in a recent tournament :D

Tournament name: Tampora 2.0

1. Skinutski (Dedede) (90€)
2. Izaw (Sheik) (54€)
3. Laatikko (Lucario) (27€)
4. pepito (MK) (9€)
5. Jage (Snake)
5. leffen (Falco)
7. Jebu (Wario/DK)
7. xzx (Wario)
9. Vurky (Falco)
9. Heru (Olimar)
9. Riolu (Ganon)
9. ccst (ROB)
13. Schwa (Diddy Kong)
13. Smasher89 (IC)
13. bËst (Olimar)
13. Susi (Ness)
17. zÄp (Ganon)
17. Über (ROB)
17. Jaxi (Pikachu/MK)
17. Turso (Sheik/MK/Ganon)
17. WMK (Snake)
17. -LzR- (Jigglypuff)
17. Jadde (G&W)
17. Cleftor (Fox)

Reppin dat Sheik !

iLight

Smash Lord
wooho! placed second place as sheik in a recent tournament :D

Tournament name: Tampora 2.0

1. Skinutski (Dedede) (90€)
2. Izaw (Sheik) (54€)
3. Laatikko (Lucario) (27€)
4. pepito (MK) (9€)
5. Jage (Snake)
5. leffen (Falco)
7. Jebu (Wario/DK)
7. xzx (Wario)
9. Vurky (Falco)
9. Heru (Olimar)
9. Riolu (Ganon)
9. ccst (ROB)
13. Schwa (Diddy Kong)
13. Smasher89 (IC)
13. bËst (Olimar)
13. Susi (Ness)
17. zÄp (Ganon)
17. Über (ROB)
17. Jaxi (Pikachu/MK)
17. Turso (Sheik/MK/Ganon)
17. WMK (Snake)
17. -LzR- (Jigglypuff)
17. Jadde (G&W)
17. Cleftor (Fox)

Reppin dat Sheik !
GJ!!!! Although did anyone but me notice a definite under representation of metaknights there?! Only 1 mk main and 2 MK secondaries.... Hopefully I'll be able to convince my crew to go to HOM2 I really want to go and place high in potentially one of the hardest areas of the country to compete in

sheikamaru

jive
Dudeeee if you come you could give me some super tip to place awesomely and yea try to make it!!

Gj izaw!! I'm movin to europe now!! Lol jk :p
I hope you got more vids for me ;D

sheikamaru

jive
Is that a legit/serious answer because I asked that like... a long time ago when I started posting and I didn't really get an answer lol

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
Yea bair is super easy to predict, now if we only had a safe way of actually punishing it. Needles would be except he has 6 jumps so a good kirby shouldn't be getting hit very often.

NEO thats not a very fair claim considering all the kirbys you play don't know the sheik MU.........
How do you know you yourself aren't playing the MU wrong? I've played Chu's kirby a while ago as Shielda and I lost barely, SDing.

YBM's good, but he's no Chu, and doesn't seem to have any consistency as far as results are concerned. I'd love to play YBM as Sheik though.

En.Ee.Oh

Smash Champion
I'm having a problem getting in Lucario lol. It's difficult when the shoes on the other foot and you somehow have to punish his approaches with something besides needles, I never realized how useful those disjoints are against characters like Sheik until I played against one, and the fact that everything lasts foreeeeever is difficult.

I don't have a snake problem anymore though, that's good :)

lol when I realized that you could ftilt MK out of dsmash almost all the time it made the MU easier against bad MKs :p I haven't tried against better ones though.

Oh, chain is really good against Olimar for some odd reason, I was able to stop even purple pikmin attacks and smashes, as well as purple sideB (and of course any other pikmin that were thrown in died), and he could only get away with a grab if he perfect shielded whereas he often took like 30-50% from a chain sweep lol. He couldn't even get away with aerials, it was pretty lulzy. Then again, I've noticed that low commitment/high safety transcendent stuff works unusually well against Olimar, Falco and Wolf laser comes to mind.

@Juushichi: That doesn't explain why NEO thinks it's easy though, considering he's MD/VA.
Not that difficult != easy

Not that difficult = a counter for the overexaggeration occuring about the MU

Also to the Sheik boards - Upon recently coming back to the smash scene I can't stress how important it is to PRACTICE using your character to the point where you don't make input mistakes. You guys seem to spend a lot of time (too much, in my opinion) discussing things instead of honing your skills to get a product out of your knowledge. As is an issue with the Marth boards, lots of theorycraft, very little practice. I plan to step up my Sheik training in the near future and I advise you all to do the same.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
lol, I don't really spend much time with theory either - my play's all just application. I don't practice 'cause I really have no way to. : (

Top Bottom